I'm Blowing Up My Basement, FINALLY

• Thread starter HottyToddy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
HottyToddy

HottyToddy

So, I've made a few minor adjustments to my DIY DWC system for my future mothers. Ron Kleinman's "Bubble Buckets" System I s what I made. I first drilled 11/16" hole in the bottom of a spray painted, black, homer, 5 gallon bucket from Home Depot. I then used these couplings and connectors. We all know 1/4" tubing is used for most standard air pumps. However, I'm using 1/2" tubing for my drain/water level tubing. If you watch Ron's video on YouTube, then you will see he made a "custom air tube assembly" so that all the air goes from the 1/4" tubing to the 1/2" tubing to the bucket. I made my own out of the pieces you see here. Also, instead of rubber grommets and elbows, I used this male female adapter for the bottom of the bucket. Finally, I've added 1/2" half clamps for the 1/2" drain tubing to attach to the bucket so it is upright and secure. Also pictured is a rubber mat for making a homemade rubber washer and Teflon tape used to wrap all threaded pieces. I'll be plumbing 2 holes on each side of my next buckets so I can see my solution level without taking my air line out or have double bubbles. It's a very good system for mom's. Gonna be building out a DIY RDWC UC style for veg and flower rooms next.

HottyToddy

HottyToddy

I mainlined at the third node after the seventh node developed on the best of the two Animal Cookies. Also, I got 5 clones including the top in the DWC propagation dome I used to germinate. I've never used this for clones so we'll see if it works.

Last edited:
ronvmpc

ronvmpc

Looks like your staring it off right. Funny, I ran the same type buckets you are when I first got some room to do things. Ended up just going to 7gl's with coco perlite sphagnum cause those pots just became a pain in the ass. Hate hydroton. As far as led I use one in my veg in my test room and absolutely love it. Do your research and you can build one for dirt cheap. Best of luck man.

HottyToddy

HottyToddy

This Weekend's Project

DIY 3/4" PVC Trellis with Crossbar

25' - 3/4" pvc sched 40
4 - 3/4" Elbows
4 - 3/4" Tees
1 - 3/4" Cross
1 - Ratchet Cutter
1 - Sharpie
1 - Tape Measure
1 - 25 ct box of 1" tapping screws
8- 5/16" Eye Hooks
2 - Pair of SunGrip Ratchet Hangers
1 - Hydrofarm 3.5" Trellis Netting (5x15)

So, I need a 4 x 4 trellis to match my light footprint & the layout of my four bucket DIY RDWC UC system. This will be in my flower room under a 1000W Horti Super HPS. I am going to build 2 identical ones today, as I will be adding another light and system to another 4 x 4 space in the same room so I can stagger my flower period & reduce the harvest time by half once it's up & running. Perpetual is the only way to go if you have only a little space, limited man power, & the like. Anyways, a couple pointers to people out there wanting to build one of these:

First, match your netting up with your footprint. No one can do this for you. Think about Geometry class in Ninth Grade. I like the 3.5" netting, but they make it in 5", 6", 7", etc. It all depends on the size and divisible numbers. For this project, I need a 4 x 4 trellis to match the hood/reflector/bulb I'm using. Because that setup is optimum at those measurements, I chose to go with a total length of 49". This includes the 1.25" for each connector(90, T, & Cross). So, the midpoint was found(24.5") & the pvc was marked & cut with ratchet cutters. No glue is necessary because no water will flow through this. Also, I installed the cross piece because I have found in my experience that any trellis of this type over 2' tends to get stretched toward the middle once the huge colas start weighing it down. Another added bonus, each bucket in my system will have its own quadrant. Second, I marked 3.5" dots with my sharpie(*TIP: Most Sched 40 PVC has labels, barcodes, etc. printed on it; make sure these are on the bottom for a neat look before you mark your drill holes), drilled holes to match my screw, & installed the screws & net. Third, installed 4 eye hooks on the ceiling & the 4 corners of the trellis. Finally, SunGrip Ratchet Hangers are used to adjust the height and there you have it.

Last edited:
tromak

tromak

I know it's a little late in this thread but, if your noticing root trouble or fluctuations in your pH try h2o2 the concentrated stuff. You need to figure its half life out and what not. Don't use it in an organic grow. Also control that water temp. That peroxide brings extra oxygen to the root zone and it kills unwanted bacteria. Dwc is a very effective way to grow just a little labor intensive. Some strains do better than others. I have used h2o2 in every non organic grow I have ever done and it has always helped keep it sterile and it helps the root zone for sure.

FlyinJStable

FlyinJStable

Still with ya @HottyToddy Hope all has you Well and the Lady Be blowin um up
Peace
FlyJ

HottyToddy

HottyToddy

Sounds sweet. Just watch those roots dude. If they are anything but white you need to act and act FAST.

DWC is incredible and I wouldnt grow any other way but the horrer stories of loosing entire crops in a week or two are very real.

Ebay has some of the best prices on the pond masters. I just purchased 8 100 lpm models and got them for $133 each.

They are sooo money. They are super quiet and don't get hot as hell either.

:)

Have you ever used Dutch Master Gold Zone for preventative root maintenance with each REZ change or just DNF Hydro Sparkle?

And, would DMGZ be considered a bene?

Thanks!

HottyToddy

HottyToddy

I know it's a little late in this thread but, if your noticing root trouble or fluctuations in your pH try h2o2 the concentrated stuff. You need to figure its half life out and what not. Don't use it in an organic grow. Also control that water temp. That peroxide brings extra oxygen to the root zone and it kills unwanted bacteria. Dwc is a very effective way to grow just a little labor intensive. Some strains do better than others. I have used h2o2 in every non organic grow I have ever done and it has always helped keep it sterile and it helps the root zone for sure.

Thanks for dropping in! It's never too late to share good info. Thanks for letting me know about H2O2. I've heard that some use it. I use Dutch Master Gold Zone, but if I were to use H2O2, how much do you use per gallon of nutrient solution?

Thanks!

HottyToddy

HottyToddy

Looking good,how's the rooms coming about?

Thanks for dropping by! The rooms are done. I only have (1) 1K at the moment. Prob gonna add the second 1K after this run...

I ended up with these dimensions & systems:

Veg & Mom's: 3.5 x 7 x 6
(1) - 2 x 6 HOT5 (8 bulb 6500K)
(2) - 150W 4ft. 2 Bulb Shop Light
(4) - Stand alone Bubble Buckets
(1) - 4 Site DIY RDWC UC

Flower: 5 x 10 x 7.5
(2) - 1K Super Sun 2 with Lumatek Digital Dimmable Ballast & Horti Super HPS

(2) - Independent Site DIY RDWC UC with a home-made, 1/2", Vinyl Tubing, top-feed, drip system.

(1) - 4 Site DIY RDWC UC with Water Fall plumbed into the the top of each site

Lung Room houses all equipment, ballasts, REZ's with DIY Chiller, Small Boy w/KDF Carbon Catalytic & Sediment Filter; 8" Max fan w/750 CFM rated Phresh Carbon Filter, & (2) 220 outlets off my dryer plug I rigged up with a square junction box, Romex Wire, & outlets.

tromak

tromak

I forget how much I used to use. You will have to do some research. It breaks down to water fairly quick I think in my last hydro grows I was using it daily. I started buying the strong stuff from the grow store so didn't have to add as much. It's going to take some math to figure out your nutrient solution volume and all that. There is good info or there, start conservatively and go from there.

HottyToddy

HottyToddy

Day 128:

Ok, so I know it's almost 5 months. I started from seed, mainlined to 8, & only have T5 Lighting & supplemental CFL's in veg so it took almost 3 months of 18/6. I flipped to 12/12 on 2/13. I'll start flushing next REZ change. I've got a clone of the keeper pheno ready to replace them mainlined to 16. Only going to run 1 girl next run. In 4 weeks from moving her in, I'm going to have a Critical Cheese from Barney's Farm going in to be fully 4 week perpetual, FINALLY!!

HottyToddy

HottyToddy

Just flipped a Critical Cheese(CC) girl mainlined to eight two weeks ago & won't be keeping Animal Cookies around. I'll post pics of the CC soon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom