• Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

dean1963

FFOF in 3 gal fabric bags
around 30% perlite mixed in
i water until there is a few drips from the bottom
i use elevators
the issue is that after a couple days the outside few inches of the pot is bone dry all the way to the bottom, but the center few inches is still wet all the way down.
i've watered the perimeter a couple times but that isn't the proper way, or is it?

2Bad

2Bad

FFOF in 3 gal fabric bags
around 30% perlite mixed in
i water until there is a few drips from the bottom
i use elevators
the issue is that after a couple days the outside few inches of the pot is bone dry all the way to the bottom, but the center few inches is still wet all the way down.
i've watered the perimeter a couple times but that isn't the proper way, or is it?
Just lift the pot to see how heavy it is and water right before it gets light.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
wet than dry.. probably not ready to water yet..
do the plants look thirsty?
droopy weak looking? not droopy stiff ish…
if not don’t worry..

OldCajun

OldCajun

Let it dry out, all of it. Then pick it up to see how she is dry. Then water in a circle completely ti cover outside to the inside. Give her a little run off pick her up see how heavy the pot is.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Read THIS.

It was written because people fuck up watering all the time. With soil, the main thing is to get all the soil wet when you water, then don't water again until the soil is near completely dry. That's why people here are telling you to determine if you need water by the weight of the pot. And you obviously need to know how much the pot weighs when it's full of soil, but dry. You are comparing everything to that.

Cannabis roots need both water and air. Water and air share the same space in soil -- the "pore space" between soil particles. When the soil is wet, there's no air. The plant can deal with the lack of air for about a day or two, then the soil better be drying out, or the roots will die and rot.

Over watering is watering too often. If you water every two or three days, you are eliminating the air in the soil each time, and the roots will never get the air they need.

Another thing to consider is that peat-based soils, like FFOF, actually REPEL water when they are dry. So when you water until the water dribbles out the bottom, the water may be bypassing dry soil and going directly out the bottom. It is sometimes necessary to put cloth pots in a pan and let them absorb water from the bottom. After you are convinced you've wet all the soil, remove it from the pan and put it back on your elevators.

Keep in mind that roots will not grow into dry soil. Roots grow toward moisture. If you end up with pockets of dry soil that never get wet, you will find there are no roots in it, and from the plant's point of view, it was growing in a smaller pot with less soil.

Oldguy71

Oldguy71

Try when it’s pretty dry water with about 25% of a full watering, wait about 15 min and do another 25%, repeat until it’s the weight you’re looking for. When peat based dirt gets really dry it becomes hydrophobic. Slowly watering it gives it a chance to absorb the water.

Trixie

Trixie

Your watering problem started when you added perlite to the substrate or potting mix. FFOF is designed to be a water-only mix for the first 4 weeks. With a 30 % addition of perlite, the soil lost its water-holding capacity.

freezeland2

freezeland2

You get dry spots in the media that don't want to absorb water. And the roots won't grow into those area.
So you are using a foliar spray wetting agent on the soil? Interesting. I have been using FFOF the last couple grows and have found aerating the soil surface with my hand prior to watering helps a bunch to diminish the hydrophobic properties of the soil.

Ponky

Ponky

So you are using a foliar spray wetting agent on the soil? Interesting. I have been using FFOF the last couple grows and have found aerating the soil surface with my hand prior to watering helps a bunch to diminish the hydrophobic properties of the soil.
You can mix it with your nutrients and water with it. Some people say you can use soap. I think the better option is throughly soaking your media in a separate tub before you use it. So it's consistent from day one. You should be able to find something suitable at the grow store. I had dry promix and I just used the shower setting on my sprayer and blasted it real well. It did the trick. If you just toss it in the pot and water it. That's when it can do funny stuff.

freezeland2

freezeland2

You can mix it with your nutrients and water with it. Some people say you can use soap. I think the better option is throughly soaking your media in a separate tub before you use it. So it's consistent from day one. You should be able to find something suitable at the grow store. I had dry promix and I just used the shower setting on my sprayer and blasted it real well. It did the trick. If you just toss it in the pot and water it. That's when it can do funny stuff.
Maybe that’s why I don’t have hydrophobic issues with my soil, I always pre moisten the soil before filling pots, transplanting and the like. Never gave it much thought since it hasn’t ever been an issue in my grows.

Top Bottom