Im Sticking To Hps For The Win, Not Mars Led

• Thread starter notplayinn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Grams per watt is just a benchmark that people try to measure themselves against; it's useful in certain terms. However, it doesn't account for a lot of variables that contribute significantly to yield such as veg time, PAR and Daily Light Integral, growing type, training, etc...

For instance, you could be running the exact same light as someone else with the exact same plants and exact same veg time and end up with different yields because one light is closer than the other therefore delivering more PAR. Or you veg one plant a week longer than another. Not to mention getting the nutrient profile right can go a long way in increasing your yield and your "grams per watt". So, experienced growers know it's just a number people throw around to try and prove a point like "HPS is better than LED". LED is way more efficient at delivering PAR than HPS or MH but people still stick to those because when your growing setup works most people just want to let it run and not mess with it because they aren't comfortable making changes; it just doesn't seem worth it (or they get some shitty LEDs trying to save a buck). So they keep talking about GPW on HPS fixtures and "penetration" like they know what they are talking about because they want to support their own opinion that what they have is the best, or at the very least good enough. But most of those people also probably never even touched a PAR meter. PAR is PAR. It doesn't matter if it's delivered with HPS, MH, Fluorescent, LED, the sun itself, or whatever else. LED may be more money upfront but the reduced cost in electricity makes up for itself in a very short time compared to the life of the fixtures. Furthermore, these days there are LEDs with spectrum curves that are more preferable to HPS and MH. More and more commercial grows are waking up to this fact every day.

Also, are you considering the environment? You enjoy throwing all those bulbs away? You know they are hazardous waste right? Are you disposing of them properly or just throwing them in the trash like many people are? Oh it's just one or two bulbs per year you say? I'm being a snowflake? The city of Boulder recently passed an ordinance against the use of HPS and MH bulbs because their dumpsters were getting full constantly...of this hazardous waste disposed of improperly...LEDs contain no dangerous substances so they can be disposed of by simple trashing them though you should still recycle them at your nearest hardware store.

There are just too many arguments for LED technology as a better option. It's more efficient. It's more cost effective considering the reduced heat and therefore the reduced A/C load, and also delivers more PAR per watt by far. They are way better for the environment and you can get better coverage and more even PAR distribution for a more even canopy and easier management (less man hours). Your "GPW" will be much higher because you're getting the same PAR for less wattage. It's just a matter of when everyone finally comes around and stops being stubborn...

Your post made me double check but the hortilux bulbs I use are ok to throw away conventionally or recycle.

https://eyehortilux.com/recycle/

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Those bulbs may not be categorized as hazardous waste by the EPA but they still have mercury in them which should definitely not just be thrown away.

Says less than standard amount of mercury and lead free. Guess the epa feels that it is not a toxic amount.

Do you have proof otherwise?

F

FarmerDaniel

You are asking me if I have proof that mercury is toxic? Or suggesting that somehow the reduced "amount" could make it so they are "less toxic" enough to just dispose of? And that we should listen to the EPA about such nonsense?

You can actually find out what the "standard" amount of mercury is in a a light bulb and compare it to the "reduced" amount that passes the EPA Toxicity Characteristic Leaching Procedure, or TCLP.

The EPA set the standard the leachate must contain at less than .2mg/l or .2ppm to be considered non-hazardous. The difference comes from the lamps containing less mercury. They can be significantly better than some HPS bulbs that can have up to 50 milligrams of mercury; non-hazardous lamps can generally only have around 3-4 milligrams of mercury to pass the TCLP test. But, in general bulbs that have only 8 milligrams would not pass the TCLP test. So, it's a difference but in certain terms it's not that big of a difference.

If 8 milligrams is hazardous in one bulb then two bulbs at 4 milligrams each is still hazardous, do you need more proof than basic math and logic can provide? Mercury is mercury. It still adds up over time if you keep throwing it in the same place. Just because you are building mercury concentrations half as fast doesn't mean it stops being toxic. We are not talking about something that degrades over time so the fact that you build concentrations slower does not stop the concentrations from building.

You can eat fish with mercury in it, but not too much. It is recommended that you only eat so many fish with so much mercury per whatever time cycle to reduce the concentration in your body. Your body can get rid of excess mercury over time, the land you dump your bulbs in cannot.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

You are asking me if I have proof that mercury is toxic? Or suggesting that somehow the reduced "amount" could make it so they are "less toxic" enough to just dispose of? And that we should listen to the EPA about such nonsense?

You can actually find out what the "standard" amount of mercury is in a a light bulb and compare it to the "reduced" amount that passes the EPA Toxicity Characteristic Leaching Procedure, or TCLP.

The EPA set the standard the leachate must contain at less than .2mg/l or .2ppm to be considered non-hazardous. The difference comes from the lamps containing less mercury. They can be significantly better than some HPS bulbs that can have up to 50 milligrams of mercury; non-hazardous lamps can generally only have around 3-4 milligrams of mercury to pass the TCLP test. But, in general bulbs that have only 8 milligrams would not pass the TCLP test. So, it's a difference but in certain terms it's not that big of a difference.

If 8 milligrams is hazardous in one bulb then two bulbs at 4 milligrams each is still hazardous, do you need more proof than basic math and logic can provide? Mercury is mercury. It still adds up over time if you keep throwing it in the same place. Just because you are building mercury concentrations half as fast doesn't mean it stops being toxic. We are not talking about something that degrades over time so the fact that you build concentrations slower does not stop the concentrations from building.

You can eat fish with mercury in it, but not too much. It is recommended that you only eat so many fish with so much mercury per whatever time cycle to reduce the concentration in your body. Your body can get rid of excess mercury over time, the land you dump your bulbs in cannot.

I asked for proof. Not your opinion about mercury.

Your post has no link or proof of any of the “facts” you state.

Please include a citation or article at least backing up what you claim.

F

FarmerDaniel

Now you're just trolling because I know you can use the Google search feature. Mercury is toxic, this isn't new

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Now you're just trolling because I know you can use the Google search feature. Mercury is toxic, this isn't new

If you make bold claims and state them as facts it is your responsibility to provide proof if asked.

F

FarmerDaniel

What exact ppms? I stated information straight from the EPA on their website about what amount of mercury a leachate runoff test can have and pass for non hazardous classification. Those ppms are stated as general knowledge for waste handlers.

You seem to just want to argue instead of just accepting that you should recycle your damn bulb

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

What exact ppms? I stated information straight from the EPA on their website about what amount of mercury a leachate runoff test can have and pass for non hazardous classification. Those ppms are stated as general knowledge for waste handlers.

You seem to just want to argue instead of just accepting that you should recycle your damn bulb

Why didn’t you just link the epa page then?

All I did was read your post with the warning about mercury in hps bulbs. Looked up my bulbs and found that the epa does not require them to be disposed of as hazardous waste.

And told you what I found rather than leave your misinformation unchallenged.

You seem to think you can tell me your opinion and pass it as fact with no proof.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
@FarmerDaniel, @MIMedGrower
You guys take this to a pm! I’m gona clean this up....shortly!

Freshone

Freshone

@FarmerDaniel, @MIMedGrower
You guys take this to a pm! I’m gona clean this up....shortly!

Shortly meaning im gonna go smoke a J and try to find where i set down my beer and then if i remember i will,lol.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Shortly meaning im gonna go smoke a J and try to find where i set down my beer and then if i remember i will,lol.
No bro, haven’t hit it yet!!
80216FB7 4FEC 4E78 947D 6378F0642F42

chillywilly

chillywilly

Greetings,
Just chiming in...like those LED pannels, Im using Super Grow Sk450 commercial grade...mines had a direct 250w draw with a equivalentof 500w hps...been in use for four yesrs now, super duty 25 lb monster!
Growth of strain depends mainly on yeild, I don't grow kushes which the current trend is where peeps speak on gm/w... I'm growing mainly for myself and a few friends, but the quality seems a bit better
with the LED...some have seen some ofy work [email protected] like your style

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I will say that I’ve been impressed with the vispar burples. My brother is growing with one and holy yield. He’s got one plant that is a monster and the others are no slouch either. He’s made practically ever mistake in the book and even though they show tons of deficiency and burn, the main bud structure is rather impressive.

I have no problem suggesting them to any new grower at the affordable price point they come in at. The only extra thing i might do with them is add some supplemental spectrum with some led strips. But otherwise they do the heavy lifting and they do it well. Two inside a grow rack makes for a very nice combo.

WestbyGod

WestbyGod

I use 2 "600" watt mars hydros in my 4x4 tent. I have no complaints so far. Just have a hobby grow, but am able to produce dense quality buds.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I use 2 "600" watt mars hydros in my 4x4 tent. I have no complaints so far. Just have a hobby grow, but am able to produce dense quality buds.

Ain’t no shame in your game bro. We are all growers striving to grow our own and that’s pretty cool.

Kudos on doing whatever you have to, to keep your pipes and bongs filled :-)

WestbyGod

WestbyGod

Ain’t no shame in your game bro. We are all growers striving to grow our own and that’s pretty cool.

Kudos on doing whatever you have to, to keep your pipes and bongs filled :)

I am working on 4 bucket DIY undercurrent system now. Currently growing multiple plants in same reservoir. I think this is the best way to improve my grow right now.

Top Bottom