In Need Of Growing Advice

• Thread starter BigPapi69
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

BigPapi69

Hi guys, I'm new to this site and am in need of advice for a small grow-op project my friend and I intend on doing in his basement. We're definitely set on a grow tent, but I'm not totally sure on the size/dimensions. With that, we're undecided on number of plants we should start. On top of that, I'm torn on which strain/s to start with as a rookie grower. Would I be ignorant to try and grow 4 different strains for instance? I'm very curious as to what veteran cultivators would recommend, and I would appreciate as much advice as I could get. I've read that indicas are best to start out with, plus their size shouldn't be a problem. And also, I was planning on ordering the seeds from overseas, currently thinking royalqueenseeds.com but I'm not positive. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

kbellfoy

kbellfoy

I have 2 Afghanis that are pure indica they are currently at a meter tall and still stretching. Not all indica are small. My sativa's are at approx 5 ft tall. My hybrids are about the same. My chem dawg and holy grail are the shortest at 3 ft in flower. So I think u need to research what kind of growth you want strain by strain then decide.

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

I've never grown an auto flower any "normal" strain is pretty simple photoperiod-wise. Get a good timer for flower and keep em at 12/12 with no light leaks. Veg is easy just plug the light in and run 'em @ 24 hrs.

B

BigPapi69

Thanks a lot guys! So we decided on a grow tent with dimensions of 48x24x78. Keeping in mind that we're getting the grow tent kit, so however much space will be available after installation of everything, how many plants do you think I'd be able to fit in there? I'm also debating on whether to do the SOG method or just the traditional plants in container. Any thoughts on this?

WiseGorilla

WiseGorilla

Are you in California? If you want to grow high quality herb I would highly recommend getting clones from harborside health center. Great beginner strains are the white, chiesel, blue dream. You've decided to get the 4x2x6 foot tent? That is quite small. The smallest I would go with is a 4x4x6 foot. You can light a 4x4 space nicely with a 600w hps light. I would recommend 2/3 happy frog or ocean forrest soil and 1/3 perlite mixed together in 5 gallon pots. Grow either 9 or 16 plants. I would veg them for 3 weeks, top them, veg for a week then flip to flower. Plant height at flip should be around 20" and at week 4 after stretch should be around 40". If you see any deficiencies in early flower you can feed them a bloom base nutrient.

B

BigPapi69

Are you in California? If you want to grow high quality herb I would highly recommend getting clones from harborside health center. Great beginner strains are the white, chiesel, blue dream. You've decided to get the 4x2x6 foot tent? That is quite small. The smallest I would go with is a 4x4x6 foot. You can light a 4x4 space nicely with a 600w hps light. I would recommend 2/3 happy frog or ocean forrest soil and 1/3 perlite mixed together in 5 gallon pots. Grow either 9 or 16 plants. I would veg them for 3 weeks, top them, veg for a week then flip to flower. Plant height at flip should be around 20" and at week 4 after stretch should be around 40". If you see any deficiencies in early flower you can feed them a bloom base nutrient.
I'm in Maryland, but I wish Cali lol. So you think I should go with 4x4x6? I'm totally new to the growing scene, so my friend and I would take any advice given. Thanks a lot WiseGorilla!

Bigeasyboss

Bigeasyboss

Every time I feed my plants they go all droppey until the next day,when I've checked them after the next day there straight back up again looking well? Why do they droop every time I feed them ???

WiseGorilla

WiseGorilla

Every time I feed my plants they go all droppey until the next day,when I've checked them after the next day there straight back up again looking well? Why do they droop every time I feed them ???
How often are you feeding? Plants naturally do look droopy while they're drinking and while they're sleeping. But if you feed regularly and don't let the soil get too dry or too wet they shouldn't droop that much.
I'm in Maryland, but I wish Cali lol. So you think I should go with 4x4x6? I'm totally new to the growing scene, so my friend and I would take any advice given. Thanks a lot WiseGorilla!

4x4 min, 600w hps min. I would stick 4,9 or 16 plants in 5 gal pots. 9 would be my personal choice. 2/3 happy frog, ocean Forrest or black gold soil, 1/3 perlite. Just water for the first 3-4 weeks. If you're buying seeds I would recommend ograskal white crosses. Dank and easy to grow.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Wilt or droop can also be signs of over fertilization due to root zone damage from excess salts.

You asked about if you were setting yourself up with problems by going with multiple strains. My answer would be yes of you are a 1st time grower. Work one strain multiple times and get to know the strain and its needs before you go with many strains. If you insist on going with multiple strain right off try to assure you are working with strains that will produce similar heights in flower as tending a tent with varied canopy heights can be a struggle if you arent well versed in scrog, topping, supercropping or lst to manage your canopy. Just my 2 cents

Bigeasyboss

Bigeasyboss

How often are you feeding? Plants naturally do look droopy while they're drinking and while they're sleeping. But if you feed regularly and don't let the soil get too dry or too wet they shouldn't droop that much.

4x4 min, 600w hps min. I would stick 4,9 or 16 plants in 5 gal pots. 9 would be my personal choice. 2/3 happy frog, ocean Forrest or black gold soil, 1/3 perlite. Just water for the first 3-4 weeks. If you're buying seeds I would recommend ograskal white crosses. Dank and easy to grow.
I feed them everyday or they would get to dry and I don't hve a time schedule I just feed when they look like they need it,when the soil get really dry the leaves and plant seem to look pretty healthy but then obviously I got to feed cuz there dry ad then within a few hours they go droopy as f*ck , just checked them like 2 mins ago an there droopy,but tommorow morning when the soil drys up I know the plants will look great again? Really confused and don't know what to do ????

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
DO NOT FEED everyday ever in soil. Plain water in between feedings. Didnt mean to yell.

Drooping can also be a classic sign of overfert and you can and will kill your plants in a soil container grow by feeding everyday.

Bigeasyboss

Bigeasyboss

Wilt or droop can also be signs of over fertilization due to root zone damage from excess salts.

You asked about if you were setting yourself up with problems by going with multiple strains. My answer would be yes of you are a 1st time grower. Work one strain multiple times and get to know the strain and its needs before you go with many strains. If you insist on going with multiple strain right off try to assure you are working with strains that will produce similar heights in flower as tending a tent with varied canopy heights can be a struggle if you arent well versed in scrog, topping, supercropping or lst to manage your canopy. Just my 2 cents
Yeh I will but right now I've got 2 photoperiods,about 4 unknown plants, and in another tent I've got 3 autos the same and another 3 that are the same,so 6 plants on one tent 3 of big easy and 3 smokey bear (autos)

Bigeasyboss

Bigeasyboss

Cheers man,I put all my money into this and don't want to mess it up , I usually give 8ml plant magic bloom,4ml root stim and 5ml canna Boost as a feed but today all I gave it is 2ml bloom and 5ml canna boost ,,,all this is to 2litres
DO NOT FEED everyday ever in soil. Plain water in between feedings. Didnt mean to yell.

Drooping is a classic sign of overfert and you can and will kill your plants in a soil container grow by feeding everyday.
rs man

cocoJoe

cocoJoe

Drooping can also be a classic sign of overfert and you can and will kill your plants in a soil container grow by feeding everyday.
Go easy Bigeasyboss.. I see oqverfert,, not much but enough..
A lot of good advice/help here from friends..

All the best

kbellfoy

kbellfoy

Yep over fed I think. Water water feed is my routine but like previously said strains are different. I also never feed at full strength till week 5 and 6 of flower as my soil is quite good. Another thing to think about is..... the quality of and the nutrient levels in your soil dictates a feed schedule not the charts on the bottles of nutes.

Bigeasyboss

Bigeasyboss

I'm gunna start
Yep over fed I think. Water water feed is my routine but like previously said strains are different. I also never feed at full strength till week 5 and 6 of flower as my soil is quite good. Another thing to think about is..... the quality of and the nutrient levels in your soil dictates a feed schedule not the charts on the bottles of nutes.
Im gunna start giving them feed,feed,water from now on and tommorow when they drove out a bit they will look healthy again !?

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

Not too experienced in soil but in coco it takes like a week for there the be observable recovery

Latest posts

Top Bottom