In vitro micropropigation

• Thread starter rootsnshoots
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
rootsnshoots

rootsnshoots

I read that initial work with micro propagation on cannabis led to hermies and the pheno's were not accurate...they eventually figured it out. It makes me think that the "power washing" of punked out genetics might not be pure "broscience". If past results led to plants unlike the explant it may be that micro propagation maintains the genotype not the phenotype...this could be responsible for the power washing. I am speaking in theory solely based on the fact that plants have been different from the explant.

Remember that the DNA content is only part of the game...DNA regulation/ is a major part of what we see when we look at a plant. i.e. the punked out clone may still have all the DNA needed for the original quality but its not being enforced/regulated. The more I think about it IBA and the other hormones we use may have even turned them off (big time speculating here). It makes sense if you consider/assume that the micro propagation hormones cause the hermies and lost phenos. What I am trying to say is that if a plant can get new traits (hermies and lost/new phenotypes) from micro propagation hormones then it does not seem crazy that those same hormones would do the same thing (or something similar or equally weird) to our clones.

I guess I am just not ready to give up the hope the same way the first researchers did not give up when they got hermies and lost phenos

Perhaps I'm just an optimist

I think I came across that a bit ago.. If i remember right they were getting hermies after forming callus? If you could refresh my memory with the link?

rootsnshoots

rootsnshoots

got a full micropropigation kit in my hands a couple weeks ago...going to give this a try and see what this broscientist (physicist turned hobby chemist and botanist) can find out for myself...certainly worth a shot.

Awesome!! Where did you get it? Whats the deets?

T

thierry

I'm not sure anderstand everything so sorry for stupide question :
Are you sure you are doing callus multiplication and after shoot regeneration ?

digdugdank

digdugdank

Select Genetics
Bioguy, I got a question for you! The study you read, were they using callus or shoots? Or does it not matter? I'm so new to this and want to ask the right questions! Thanks digdug! :)

B

bioguy

Another thought. Soil nutrients and environment can be manipulated to increase the percentage of males/females when sprouting seeds. This is evidence that female plants are to some extent an environmentally triggered phenotype within a broader genotype. Tissue culture preserves genotype not phenotype even thou we would expect (and have seen) preservation of both.WHAT OTHER TRAITS MIGHT ALSO BE ENVIRONMENTALLY TRIGGERED

I would be very curious if the m/f ratio in seeds is the same from the cultures (or if it can be manipulated). In the end this could lead to profound understanding about phenotype expression.

If a plant is born female but under different conditions would have otherwise developed male is it then also more likely to hermie. In the opposite case would the female be a better candidate for sex reversal...I mean a male plant that "could have been female" seems more likely to pass on the best flowering genes. Theoretically, we could use these "either sex plants" to pollinate our stash knowing all we had to do was increase nitrogen to get all females in the seed stock. But without TS we would have no way of knowing which plant might have been environmentally manipulated into its current sex.

B

bioguy

Dont forget H202 kills fungal spores but not fungus. A second sterilizer is needed when using H202.

oxanaca

oxanaca

DSCN0119
DSCN0122
DSCN0124
damn i was hoping this would be a live thread. i have a multipurpose bio lab, and no experiance micropropagating, but all the equiptment, and most of the chemicals so thats good

anyways if shoots and roots decides to come back well have a little grow off. otherwise im gonna jack this thread some more. lol

oxanaca

oxanaca

im thinking of trying the no agar, liquid medium route.
i will need to build a rotator, if i intend to do this though. but it seems like it could solve alot of the problems agar causes. such as too hard/soft, insufficient dissolved oxygen, build up of waste chemicals next to a plant, no need to wash off agar prior to transferring to soil. although you lose your ability to easily spot bacteria fungus.

kind of reminds me of liquid culture in another hobby, know what i mean

oxanaca

oxanaca

damn is this thread dead? i was hoping i would be able to talk media formulations and share info

ill keep checking in, come back when you can shoots and roots

rootsnshoots

rootsnshoots

Sorry for my absence fellas!

Quick recap, I quit the dispensary I was working for and am back to doing my own thing. (Finish carpentry, custom cabinets, high end finishing....and growing goods.)

So I built this bad boy!!

IMAG0786 1

and here's how you do it;

Get a sheet of white melamine, and cut to size on table saw

IMAG0773

rig up the dado

IMAG0772

Glue it up
IMAG0774

Set the filter. I used aluminum angle to squeeze the filter in. Super clean and durable.

IMAG0777

Set the fan, and let silicon cure for a couple days
IMAG0779

Now lets use this baller box;

clean explants

IMAG0809

cut em to size
IMAG0810

walla!
IMAG0811

oxanaca

oxanaca

good job dude
looks like you have the same size filter it is a 18x24" right?
i want to join in on the fun ill probably not post any cannabis publicly though,
my balls aren't as big as yours:cool:

rootsnshoots

rootsnshoots

good job dude
looks like you have the same size filter it is a 18x24" right?
i want to join in on the fun ill probably not post any cannabis publicly though,
my balls aren't as big as yours:cool:

24x24

Personally I'm not doing anything illegal, no reason to fear, or not post.

oxanaca

oxanaca

Sorry for my absence fellas!

Quick recap, I quit the dispensary I was working for and am back to doing my own thing. (Finish carpentry, custom cabinets, high end finishing....and growing goods.)

So I built this bad boy!!

View attachment 305385

and here's how you do it;

Get a sheet of white melamine, and cut to size on table saw

View attachment 305386

rig up the dado

View attachment 305387

Glue it up
View attachment 305388

Set the filter. I used aluminum angle to squeeze the filter in. Super clean and durable.

View attachment 305389

Set the fan, and let silicon cure for a couple days
View attachment 305390

Now lets use this baller box;

clean explants

View attachment 305391

cut em to size
View attachment 305392

walla!
View attachment 305393
what ever became of this dude?

W

western5

Marijuana from test tubes is now available on Amazon. It is a book that has an illustrated step by step guide for TC of cannabis

Latest posts

Top Bottom