Incandescent Bulbs

• Thread starter London bud
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Get your boy some HID, he'd love it.

Having spent quite a bit of time living in England, I can tell you people over there are much more cautious/paranoid about HID because big brother has such a close eye on everyone and everything. I dont know if that's the case here, but I knew a couple people who grew over there and only one of them had HID, running a 400w light over 6 plants lol. He was legit a bad mofo too, big time smuggler and dealer of other substances. But he was afraid to run more than 400 watts cause he didnt want to tip of the cops/big bro. Eventually he ended up in prison when he was caught in the English channel smuggling a zodiac full of drugs and cigarettes from Amsterdam and France back to Devon.

London bud

London bud

Man, my only question is why? It's so inferior to literally every other lighting system besides heat lamps, why spend months caring for something that could be so vastly improved with a very cheap and simple upgrade? T5HO, compact LED, CFL would be better even..

I've grown under incandescents, when I was 16.. It was inside a big speaker cabinet to hide it from my parents and it grew. I think i yielded a few grams of fluff., dont remember the exact yield, it was a looong time ago.

London bud, I have to say the more of your posts I read, the more I find it amusing that you are the guy who once told me I need to get my head out of the textbook and get some real life growing experience. But hey, regardless even though it's not YOU who is running this particular experiment, I give you kudos for not blindly following the trends and trying shit out for yourself. Many growers lack that openmindedness and get too wrapped up in their ego. so cheers to that.

My guy just won't be told, some people just have to learn for themselves, I agree it could have been improved but whatever the lighting this guy has done a good job for a first grow, I know I didn't get an oz on my first run.

Seems to me your being pretty negative when really someone has done pretty well, judging from what you just said about your few grams of fluff after your attempts with an incandescent my guy has clearly done better than you did.

I think it's been a fantastic first grow

London bud

London bud

Having spent quite a bit of time living in England, I can tell you people over there are much more cautious/paranoid about HID because big brother has such a close eye on everyone and everything. I dont know if that's the case here, but I knew a couple people who grew over there and only one of them had HID, running a 400w light over 6 plants lol. He was legit a bad mofo too, big time smuggler and dealer of other substances. But he was afraid to run more than 400 watts cause he didnt want to tip of the cops/big bro. Eventually he ended up in prison when he was caught in the English channel smuggling a zodiac full of drugs and cigarettes from Amsterdam and France back to Devon.
I know a few people who run 600w here no problem. Any more than that though and a lot of people will get a trustworthy electrician to set it up to bypass the meter

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
My guy just won't be told, some people just have to learn for themselves, I agree it could have been improved but whatever the lighting this guy has done a good job for a first grow, I know I didn't get an oz on my first run.

Seems to me your being pretty negative when really someone has done pretty well, judging from what you just said about your few grams of fluff after your attempts with an incandescent my guy has clearly done better than you did.

I think it's been a fantastic first grow

Not trying to be negative. He 100% did better then I did with my first ever plant I tried to grow in a speaker with no airflow under 1 incandescent planted in dirt I scooped from the front garden lol. No doubt. I was 16 and knew zilch about plants.

I'm just saying, knowing there is a better option for lighting that is cheap, why not do that? Seems like a no brainer.

London bud

London bud

Not trying to be negative. He 100% did better then I did with my first ever plant I tried to grow in a speaker with no airflow under 1 incandescent planted in dirt I scooped from the front garden lol. No doubt. I was 16 and knew zilch about plants.

I'm just saying, knowing there is a better option for lighting that is cheap, why not do that? Seems like a no brainer.

Here in England we have a saying, "you can show a horse water but you can't make it drink"
It's a no brainer for me and you but he's not much of a listener, he'll understand in the end though.
I'm defo gonna make sure he at least only uses the leds bulbs or cfl for the next round even if I have to buy the bulbs for him

Ina

Ina

Can I see the bulbs?Interersting experiment and the plant look normal developed,even very nice......But hey,it is not fair,he also used LED bulbs and they are proven to be nice,at least for veg:)I use floodlight so i'm opened to experiments of all kind.:)I wont use incandescent myself but it is interesting to see the result,how they grow in different stages and the flowering.Wattage, color,how close they have been to the plants,more details,pls!:)Don't they spend to much electricity for the light they ...eradiate?If he do that again I would def see how it goes from start to finish.

London bud

London bud

Can I see the bulbs?Interersting experiment and the plant look normal developed,even very nice......But hey,it is not fair,he also used LED bulbs and they are proven to be nice,at least for veg:)I use floodlight so i'm opened to experiments of all kind.:)I wont use incandescent myself but it is interesting to see the result,how they grow in different stages and the flowering.Wattage, color,how close they have been to the plants,more details,pls!:)Don't they spend to much electricity for the light they ...eradiate?If he do that again I would def see how it goes from start to finish.
no led in veg though, it was quite spindly but it ready filled out in flower.
bulbs were directly above the plant, three or four inches away. It is a lot of watts for the amount of right yeah. Cool to see though

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

This is a friend of mines plant, it's stardawg from seed and has been grown under 260w of incandescent. 2x 100w and a 60w. It's a bit spindly and I'm not sure how much bud he'll end up with but I was suprised none the less, it seems to growing ok, I've never seen a plant grown under incandescents so itll be interesting to see how it develops. Just thought id share this so others could see.
View attachment 858505
That's actually not too spindly considering it's just everyday lights he,s useing.i doubt he,'ll get much bud from it if it's bloomed under the same lights but if it was bloomed under better lights it would probably yield decent.
I use incandescent bulbs to root cuts in my turbo cloner but I,v never seen plants that have been vegged under incandescent that have grown so well.
And I agree, everyone's gotta start somewhere.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
The thing is what you see there is all leds ime. Even 2 led bulbs makes a big difference. Probably 30w max. Thats enough to grow that plant right there. Those incandescents burned 260w right? Almost all waste. Next run why not talk him into getting 2 more leds and stop wasting electricity with those 260w heat lamps? With 60w of led he would be so much happier.

CBDfutute4

CBDfutute4

You need to upgrade your lights, period. You can't grow decent buds using incandescent lighting unless you had a zillion of them and an AC system to keep them cool.
CFL is a much better choice, with LED being about the best choice for your buddy. You need a LOT of light. If your friend is handy at all with electronics, 50 watt COB LED lights can be purchased for about $2.50 each, needing just a heatsink to help with the heat dissipation. The newer ones don't need drivers or anything...just plug into 80-240V AC and let it grow. Total cost is about $10 for the COB, Heatsink, and misc equip. Even the cheapest $15 LED grow lights advertised online from China will work MUCH better than a incandescent light bulb. I know that your friend is trying to keep costs down, but you can't grow without enough good quality light. No way around it.

Can u post a link...??

I have a hgl 135, I want two 30-50w cobs to use in a micro setup

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Can u post a link...??

I have a hgl 135, I want two 30-50w cobs to use in a micro setup
I was considering building grow lights using COBs, and they were pretty simple, at least the ones I had were. They had a built in inverter, so you jus hiked it up to 85-240 VAC and they work well. You need to get a heatsink because they are hot to operate, but most LRDs are like this. The 50 watt cob was really intense and was full spectrum. I was planning on usng them but got too lazy and stuck with HID lighting. I got the 50 watt COBs for about $4 each and the heat sink was about $5, avail on Ebay.

CBDfutute4

CBDfutute4

I was considering building grow lights using COBs, and they were pretty simple, at least the ones I had were. They had a built in inverter, so you jus hiked it up to 85-240 VAC and they work well. You need to get a heatsink because they are hot to operate, but most LRDs are like this. The 50 watt cob was really intense and was full spectrum. I was planning on usng them but got too lazy and stuck with HID lighting. I got the 50 watt COBs for about $4 each and the heat sink was about $5, avail on Ebay.

I found some

Thanks man

Top Bottom