Increasing Terpene Production In Hydroponic Systems

• Thread starter TheTwistedOne
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

TheTwistedOne

This has been a hit and miss subject complete with opinions from both sides of the isle for a very long time. We then have vendors making claims their product can create wonderful terpene profiles just by adding their product…..usually what seems to be potassium into the mix. Instead of offering opinions, I aim to try and offer facts, and with the input of you folks, I aim to be backing it up with honest, unfiltered side by side testing.

Why is this so important to me? Well, for one I grow hydroponically, and when Oklahoma legalized, I wanted to grow commercially, and do it the only way I’ve done it since the 70’s….hydroponically. Some might say I’m not thinking right…commercially speaking of course.
It’s been an education to say the least, and that’s an understatement. It’s a good thing I like challenges.🤪
Anyway, having grown for years, and providing stinky medication to a select few, I never had any lab testing for THC or Terpenes, only “damn that’s some stinky dank” or something about feeling nailed to the couch, but that’s about it, so I never had any factual data, and we all know whatcha got currently is always better than the last, right?🤭
Now I do have some of that factual data and I’m looking at ways to improve it. Don’t get me wrong, we put out a stellar product, but now that I am armed with some data, I need to find ways to improve the product anyway I can. Never quit improving is my motto. If I had a day I didn’t learn something new….I had a bad day.😏

Increasing terpene production in hydroponic systems

First up is how we grow. Some call it DWC however I call it a hybrid of sorts. I use 5 gallon buckets with large net pots and my media is expanded clay. I top feed through homemade drip rings. The buckets maintain 3/4 gallon and the rest return to temperature controlled reservoirs. Just about everything in our facility has been created and not bought, so don’t laugh too hard at my country boy engineering. No degree here. School of hard knocks…🤐. Whether it’s the rolling tables, hydroponics systems or chillers, I’ve built it all. Being a country boy with limited resources has its plus side I guess. Survival of the fittest, right?

Here‘s a shot of a row in our flower room showing how we feed.

Increasing terpene production in hydroponic systems 2

The reservoir is maintained at 68 deg, plus or minus 1 deg at all times. All my lighting is based upon the Samsung LM301 chipset. Drivers are Meanwell and overclocked to 550 watts driving four 288 boards per driver. I have 137.5 watts per plant on average. Humidity is tightly controlled using something I didn’t build, even though I’m an HVAC contractor….an Anden dehumidifier. Yes. It is “the bomb”.😎

Growing this way allows me several advantages, one of which in a sealed room with co2 in flowering I can maintain between 82-85 degrees while my root zones have a constant 68 deg nutrient solution running down them 24 hrs a day. I COULD run a 90 deg room without effecting my root zone if I ever chose to.

It also gives me a level of control I’ve became spoiled on, however it is also probably one of the most expensive methods to grow cannabis, and when I look at how bad our market in Oklahoma has been beat down, I presume to our final cost of getting our medicine to the market is notably more expensive than about any other method of growing, so there’s that as well. I knew this going into the commercial end of it, and had hoped to carve a small enough nitch to survive the onslaught of out of state money driving wholesale pricing to rock bottom by providing a superior product. That’s the goal anyway.

Now this brings us pretty close to why I created this thread. We’ve hit a milestone and a wall at pretty much the same time. The good news is we pretty much are putting out the highest non-infused THC cannabis on our local market, with sales of such to insure our survival in this depressed market. I thank the God’s of MayJane for that! The last three grows, we managed to exceed 30% on our THC testing, with the highest tested at 35.86 THC. We seem to be able to pull it off consistently, which I am immensely pleased.
Now the brick wall.
Since we began lab testing, the highest terpene profile we have landed was a 3.08 with a White Truffle strain. She clocked 31.1 THC. The last two strains were a Peanut Butter Pie which clocked our highest ratio of THC in our history, and she clocked so high the lab had to break out the backup sample (we are all required to include btw🙄) and perform a retest. Same result. 35.86 THC with a terpene profile of 1.73 respectively. Our GMO Pie hit the scales at 31.1 THC with a terpene profile of 2.73.
Why all these numbers? Because they are showing a pattern that seems to be linked to THC percentages. The higher the THC content, the lower the terpene profile. I’ve had two independent labs agree with me on that.

Now we’ve reached the point where organic growers will swear the only way to get high terpene numbers is to grow organically, and a plethora of other opinions. I respect each one of them, but that’s not what this thread is about. It’s about improving terpenes for those of us who grow hydroponically.

How can we go about this? Two ways. Input from you, the reader and backing testing up like a clinical trial.

I’ll kick this off on our first side by side testing with a product known as “Terpinator”. Now, always my first thought is “what’s in it”, and when I look, it isn’t that impressive looking. This said for every person that swears by this product I can find one who swears against it. I aim to find out, at least from a hydroponic view.

Increasing terpene production in hydroponic systems 3

This is the test run using Terpinator, and we are right at 6 weeks into flower on our Peanut Butter Pie and have been feeding them Terpinator at manufactures recommendation, and are now currently feeding at eh rate of 30ml per gallon. In about a week, we’ll begin flushing, using nothing but RO water with a continued use of the Terpinator throughout the flush as recommended. It does very little to increasing salinity so I’m not worried about running it throughout the flush cycle.

The last grow was this identical strain from the very same identical mother of our Peanut Butter Pie, grown in the same environment with the very same nutrient program and I have the lab results from that grow. Harvest and cure are identical. I’m rooting for the boys at Terpinator, but as it stands, the jury is still out.

We also have an R&D room set up to perform additional testing, and this is where I’m needing your 100’s of years of combined knowledge. If you have formula, and you know it works, bring it on and let’s discuss it. It just might be a piece of this puzzle. If we can keep this thread focused on improvement, it will be a win-win for everyone.

In closing, I truly look forward to this endeavor and hope to be able to offer some provable scientific data and bring it to the table for all to benefit from. With your help, I’m betting we can.

-The Twisted One🤔😎

Z

Zill

TTO,

You realize terpenes and cannabinoids are not the same class of molecule. Loads of plants produce terpenes but only cannabis synthesizes cannabinoids. Terpenes bring in all the delightful aromas.

If you are interested in bumping up your potency hit the plants with UV-B. It will dramatically increase cannabinoids in all tissues including leaves not just buds.

Zill.

Observationist

Observationist

This has been a hit and miss subject complete with opinions from both sides of the isle for a very long time. We then have vendors making claims their product can create wonderful terpene profiles just by adding their product…..usually what seems to be potassium into the mix. Instead of offering opinions, I aim to try and offer facts, and with the input of you folks, I aim to be backing it up with honest, unfiltered side by side testing.

Why is this so important to me? Well, for one I grow hydroponically, and when Oklahoma legalized, I wanted to grow commercially, and do it the only way I’ve done it since the 70’s….hydroponically. Some might say I’m not thinking right…commercially speaking of course.
It’s been an education to say the least, and that’s an understatement. It’s a good thing I like challenges.🤪
Anyway, having grown for years, and providing stinky medication to a select few, I never had any lab testing for THC or Terpenes, only “damn that’s some stinky dank” or something about feeling nailed to the couch, but that’s about it, so I never had any factual data, and we all know whatcha got currently is always better than the last, right?🤭
Now I do have some of that factual data and I’m looking at ways to improve it. Don’t get me wrong, we put out a stellar product, but now that I am armed with some data, I need to find ways to improve the product anyway I can. Never quit improving is my motto. If I had a day I didn’t learn something new….I had a bad day.😏

View attachment 1977344

First up is how we grow. Some call it DWC however I call it a hybrid of sorts. I use 5 gallon buckets with large net pots and my media is expanded clay. I top feed through homemade drip rings. The buckets maintain 3/4 gallon and the rest return to temperature controlled reservoirs. Just about everything in our facility has been created and not bought, so don’t laugh too hard at my country boy engineering. No degree here. School of hard knocks…🤐. Whether it’s the rolling tables, hydroponics systems or chillers, I’ve built it all. Being a country boy with limited resources has its plus side I guess. Survival of the fittest, right?

Here‘s a shot of a row in our flower room showing how we feed.

View attachment 1977346

The reservoir is maintained at 68 deg, plus or minus 1 deg at all times. All my lighting is based upon the Samsung LM301 chipset. Drivers are Meanwell and overclocked to 550 watts driving four 288 boards per driver. I have 137.5 watts per plant on average. Humidity is tightly controlled using something I didn’t build, even though I’m an HVAC contractor….an Anden dehumidifier. Yes. It is “the bomb”.😎

Growing this way allows me several advantages, one of which in a sealed room with co2 in flowering I can maintain between 82-85 degrees while my root zones have a constant 68 deg nutrient solution running down them 24 hrs a day. I COULD run a 90 deg room without effecting my root zone if I ever chose to.

It also gives me a level of control I’ve became spoiled on, however it is also probably one of the most expensive methods to grow cannabis, and when I look at how bad our market in Oklahoma has been beat down, I presume to our final cost of getting our medicine to the market is notably more expensive than about any other method of growing, so there’s that as well. I knew this going into the commercial end of it, and had hoped to carve a small enough nitch to survive the onslaught of out of state money driving wholesale pricing to rock bottom by providing a superior product. That’s the goal anyway.

Now this brings us pretty close to why I created this thread. We’ve hit a milestone and a wall at pretty much the same time. The good news is we pretty much are putting out the highest non-infused THC cannabis on our local market, with sales of such to insure our survival in this depressed market. I thank the God’s of MayJane for that! The last three grows, we managed to exceed 30% on our THC testing, with the highest tested at 35.86 THC. We seem to be able to pull it off consistently, which I am immensely pleased.
Now the brick wall.
Since we began lab testing, the highest terpene profile we have landed was a 3.08 with a White Truffle strain. She clocked 31.1 THC. The last two strains were a Peanut Butter Pie which clocked our highest ratio of THC in our history, and she clocked so high the lab had to break out the backup sample (we are all required to include btw🙄) and perform a retest. Same result. 35.86 THC with a terpene profile of 1.73 respectively. Our GMO Pie hit the scales at 31.1 THC with a terpene profile of 2.73.
Why all these numbers? Because they are showing a pattern that seems to be linked to THC percentages. The higher the THC content, the lower the terpene profile. I’ve had two independent labs agree with me on that.

Now we’ve reached the point where organic growers will swear the only way to get high terpene numbers is to grow organically, and a plethora of other opinions. I respect each one of them, but that’s not what this thread is about. It’s about improving terpenes for those of us who grow hydroponically.

How can we go about this? Two ways. Input from you, the reader and backing testing up like a clinical trial.

I’ll kick this off on our first side by side testing with a product known as “Terpinator”. Now, always my first thought is “what’s in it”, and when I look, it isn’t that impressive looking. This said for every person that swears by this product I can find one who swears against it. I aim to find out, at least from a hydroponic view.

View attachment 1977381

This is the test run using Terpinator, and we are right at 6 weeks into flower on our Peanut Butter Pie and have been feeding them Terpinator at manufactures recommendation, and are now currently feeding at eh rate of 30ml per gallon. In about a week, we’ll begin flushing, using nothing but RO water with a continued use of the Terpinator throughout the flush as recommended. It does very little to increasing salinity so I’m not worried about running it throughout the flush cycle.

The last grow was this identical strain from the very same identical mother of our Peanut Butter Pie, grown in the same environment with the very same nutrient program and I have the lab results from that grow. Harvest and cure are identical. I’m rooting for the boys at Terpinator, but as it stands, the jury is still out.

We also have an R&D room set up to perform additional testing, and this is where I’m needing your 100’s of years of combined knowledge. If you have formula, and you know it works, bring it on and let’s discuss it. It just might be a piece of this puzzle. If we can keep this thread focused on improvement, it will be a win-win for everyone.

In closing, I truly look forward to this endeavor and hope to be able to offer some provable scientific data and bring it to the table for all to benefit from. With your help, I’m betting we can.

-The Twisted One🤔😎
Oklahoma?

Please..

Let me come work for you.

Peat_Phreak

Peat_Phreak

Chitosan for the entire bloom cycle ✅

Sulfur dominant feed during the last two weeks ✅

Using more than 12 hours of light during the last two weeks ✅

JarJar

JarJar

Can you elaborate on more than 12 hours of light during last 2 weeks? I've never heard of that, and I'm a scrub

Peat_Phreak

Peat_Phreak

It's too late in the grow for the plant to reveg or herm from a few extra hours of light per day. More light = more photosynthesis = more terpenes.

Another tip is to keep the leaf temperature below 80F. Some terpenes such as Mercene are volatile and evaporate with higher temperatures.

Ripen

Ripen

Did you test it yet
Judging by the lack of response he may have moved on to a different forum.

It's an interesting topic, I would love to learn more about this.

Apparently Terpinator is just potash(K2O) derived from potassium sulfate, I'm wondering if some of that sulfate ended up in the final product. Otherwise I've already got plenty potash in my AN lineup, as I'm sure most brands have.

AN is selling Tasty Terpenes, previously known as Nirvana, which contains kelp, alfalfa and small amounts of K2O again derived from potassium sulfate. Maybe there's something to it.

JarJar

JarJar

It's too late in the grow for the plant to reveg or herm from a few extra hours of light per day. More light = more photosynthesis = more terpenes.

Another tip is to keep the leaf temperature below 80F. Some terpenes such as Mercene are volatile and evaporate with higher temperatures.
Is that temperature bit true even with co2? Thanks for responding.

Last edited:
Peat_Phreak

Peat_Phreak

Is that temperature bit true even with co2? Thanks for responding.

Yes the air doesn't matter. And it's the evaporation point not the flash point like I said previously. The flash point is a higher number. Terpenes can evaporate as low as 70F.

JarJar

JarJar

So I wouldn't be able to run co2 and get maximum terpenes, then? As co2 is optimized at 88 degrees I believe. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

Peat_Phreak

Peat_Phreak

It depends on what kind of terpenes are present. Some don't start evaporating until the temp gets above 100F and others start evaporating at 70F. You'd have to run an experiment to answer that question.

Plants will use CO2 regardless of temperature. The limiting factor for excess CO2 usefullness is having the right amount of light. More than 1000 PPFD. I don't use CO2. Optimal at 88F might be a thing, but I doubt it becomes useless at 80F.

GoldenDragondnw

GoldenDragondnw

Supporter
So I wouldn't be able to run co2 and get maximum terpenes, then? As co2 is optimized at 88 degrees I believe. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.
I just wanted to say you were awesome man! Everyone hated on jar jar but I effin love that thing!

Top Bottom