Indoor Lighting Flowering Time Difference

• Thread starter Nukesrt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

There's a bunch in my pics. Not sure how to repost from my phone. But I can assure you they are opposite.
I have never seen a plant not alternate nodes when mature. I can peak through. Very interesting.

elduderito

elduderito

I think it was in an article I read from DJ Short where he talked about different light cycles being a key success factor -- however he didn't spill the beans on his light schedule.

I've read several sources that mention shortening the light cycle to speed up long-flowering sativas (e.g. 13-11) ... I also think there would be some logic in slowly decreasing the length of lights-on to simulate the shortening of days that plants experience in nature...

My assumption is that this is strain/pheno dependent and that it would take a lot of research and data to draw any conclusions...

I've also always wondered what would happen if you decided to shorten the entire cycle - e.g. 10/10 ? would a cutting finish in less "cycles" in 10/10 than in 12/12? Or could you increase yield on a short flowering indica by doing a 14/14 schedule?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I have established clones from my Colombian. Will do some experiments with 10-14 coming soon
Have pics of the clones? Are thise nodes alternating? On second look it looks like they are slightly alternating

R

redshift75

you can run various light cycles with them in veg and you can push the limits of it flowering through slow drifts its been proven. But you have to start at a certain point and basically try to mimic natural cycles its not easy to achieve without risks. autos seem to get the highest response from these fluctuations. Last year before i got knocked out for 3 months i saw some really cool concepts being tried with autos.

To your question i mean they are hard enough but if you stick to your grow these things dont matter. So my plants finished with an automated setup when it ran out they dried up in flower. Some of the best bud i've ever grown and smoked. I luckily decided to try an automatic waterer. I mean you stick to your goals and trie to run them through and if you do it and love the plants. They treat you right as best they can predators and fungi aside. im still waiting on all my test results back for the strains from the lab yet.

Frosty1 1
Frosty1 2
Frosty1 3
Frosty1 4
Frosty1 5
Frosty1 6
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I think it was in an article I read from DJ Short where he talked about different light cycles being a key success factor -- however he didn't spill the beans on his light schedule.

I've read several sources that mention shortening the light cycle to speed up long-flowering sativas (e.g. 13-11) ... I also think there would be some logic in slowly decreasing the length of lights-on to simulate the shortening of days that plants experience in nature...

My assumption is that this is strain/pheno dependent and that it would take a lot of research and data to draw any conclusions...

I've also always wondered what would happen if you decided to shorten the entire cycle - e.g. 10/10 ? would a cutting finish in less "cycles" in 10/10 than in 12/12? Or could you increase yield on a short flowering indica by doing a 14/14 schedule?
I mean its pretty well established that plants will not flower until mature.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

My hybrids do that when grown 12-12 from seed or flipped very early. My colombians are going on 6 weeks 12-12.some branches are alternate but no sigh of sex yet
Ok I found out why and it makes perfect sense... its the morphology of the plant due to the lighting. You are basically by reducing the light period reducing its growth so its not so much they are not alternating its that they are being stunted in a sense.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Still reading into this so take that reply with a grain of salt.... I should say I think I know why. But maturity is not controlled by photoperiod... and thats a fact

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
Isn't there a light that's automated to follow daily sunrise and sunset at any given GPS coordinate in the world? 🤔 If not, let's get on that. Probably entry level programming at best. 👍

I think @Moe.Red is doing this already through his computer in his thcv search.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I would have to say its because you are starting then 12/12 as I previously stated.

Flower Initiation of Female Cannabis sativa Plant Is Day-Neutral
The typical architecture of cannabis plants is a hierarchical branched system (Figures 2, ,6).6). Similar to other dicotyledonous herbs, the adult plant carries numerous repetitive single modular units – phytomers – consisting of an internode and a node (Figure 2; Teichmann and Muhr, 2015). The SAM extends the primary growth axis, while in the leaf axils, lateral meristems differentiate to form morphological structures of higher orders (Figure 2). It is known that in plants originated from seeds and grown under long photoperiod, the vegetative phase ends with differentiation of the first solitary flowers at the fourth to sixth internodes (Cervantes, 2006). Therefore, appearance of these solitary flowers represents the transition from adult vegetative stage to reproductive stage. In horticultural practice, propagation is mainly achieved with cuttings from an adult mother plant. Solitary flowers that have already developed on mother plants, grown under long photoperiod, can persist in the new cuttings that are grown under similar conditions

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Cannabis producers and researchers consider long photoperiod to be “non-inductive” or “vegetative” growth conditions, but the development of solitary flowers clearly indicates that the plant at this stage cannot be defined as vegetative or non-inductive in the classical sense (Figure 2). Therefore, flower induction of solitary flowers is probably age-dependent and is controlled by internal signals, but not by photoperiod

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

, photoperiod triggers the initial elongation of flower stalks and flower initiation

R

redshift75

Isn't there a light that's automated to follow daily sunrise and sunset at any given GPS coordinate in the world? 🤔 If not, let's get on that. Probably entry level programming at best. 👍

I think @Moe.Red is doing this already through his computer in his thcv search.

I built my tent so the light drifts from left to right and increases intensity throughout the day. I noticed almost no difference between the tent with and without this feature. One the controller i bought for my raspberry pi burnt up and i had to buy new wago connectors Im not sure if it was the wago connector or what. But needless to say i did lose 1 set of components for a light in my experimenting. But I will say in veg i saw more effect than in flower. One thing that was good and a negative because it required lots of training was the fact they would stretch with the light so made some lengthy plants that outgrew my 4x8 tents. some buds finished above the lights.

R

redshift75

all of that stuff is made and is developers made the things to do it. That takes very little knowledge to sit down and get up and running. I think is like half a dozen open source green house controller projects. You can monitor everything, you can control everything (depending on how savvy you want to get). Its actually way cheaper to do that over the commercial controllers but not as plug and play and takes some time to configure and the ability to set it up. So when you look at commercial systems you are paying for the simplicity. But at the same time are limited to what the offering is on those devices. Far more limiting that a Pi controller. So many ways to do it. Is forums dedicated to it. You can goto the forums for pi whatever and say "hey i want to add a camera to my tomato plant" and you will get 25 ways to do it.

I used raspberry pi and arduino's mostly for mine. arduinos for almost all my sensors and triggers. and pi for the readouts and controller for Arduino. but one could probably skip the PI and go straight arduinos for all the sensors and controls.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yeah everything im reading confirms alternating nodes is a sign of maturity that is long known and accepted.

But because you are under 12/12 to start as soon as the plant matures and this is hormonal controlled I believe gibberellin as copied below.

flower induction is mainly governed by age-dependent and gibberellin pathways.

With 12/12 Its immediate onset of flower upon maturity you are flowering before the nodes start to visibly show as alternating.

R

redshift75

Yeah everything im reading confirms alternating nodes is a sign of maturity that is long known and accepted.

But because you are under 12/12 to start as soon as the plant matures and this is hormonal controlled I believe gibberellin as copied below.

flower induction is mainly governed by age-dependent and gibberellin pathways.

With 12/12 Its immediate onset of flower upon maturity you are flowering before the nodes start to visibly show as alternating.
Thats what i like about you aquaman and always have is you go deep into the problem. Dont just take it all at face value.

Top Bottom