Indoor virgin, wish me luck

• Thread starter electroguy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
electroguy

electroguy

You can sex the plant without cutting branches. You'll have to tape over a node for every 12 hour cycle until the sex reveals itself on that node so if you're vegging for 18 hours at hour 12 you'll tape over the node to put it into darkness. After a week or so it should start to show you but you have to make sure the node you tape over is light proof and you do it every day until it shows its sex.
A nose at the main stalk?

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Mind you you'll have to put it on and take it off every 12 hours until you can confirm sex.

electroguy

electroguy

Yes. Whatever you have that can cover that node in darkness for 12 hours for a couple weeks to see what sex the plant is.
Maybe like a dark fabric wrapped loosely? Lower node? Thanks for all the advice BTW. I think I bit off more than I could chew. Like 17 or 18 more, but I had so many different strains, and they were all non feminized, and surely I would have lost some by now. There have been many pitfalls with watering ,humidity, nutrients and lighting. I took too long to set up my tent. Wild temperature fluctuations and air flow. But my natural green thumb, coupled with the vast wealth of knowledge from super friendly people here on the farm, and friends and family, has cursed me with like 19, or I think 20 very healthy happy plants. Each planting learning something new and sparing each new set of seedlings my prior shortcomings. I can't believe they all made it. I made my bed so now I have to sleep in it. Thanks for chiming in and helping out. Sorry but I'm a chatty Kathy. Have a good evening and thanks again.

H

HerbGardner

You do know that those seeds have a “butt” on them? This should be planted pointing down. If you can’t figure out which end is the butt, plant them sideways in the hole and they will right themselves as they come up.

The pointy side or the side that was attached to the calyx?
Haha butt. I'm guessing that's the side with the round "hole" in it, definitely a good memory aid... the round thing that is brown

1890e1af1e836abb91633cb0121479ec e1490705525822

Butt-down planting means the radicle emerges from the top then grows straight down creating a strong apical hook that can bust through the soil. In this pic the seed is planted sideways but you get the idea. You have so many seedlings now I guess you're a master beanpopper by now.

LP Hemp Seedling Emergence v2

Cool idea having your new pots ready to go, remember to keep the unused soil alive with a bit of water.

As for sexing your plants, males tend to grow spindlier, especially as they mature. You'll notice your female plants suddenly growing much stronger stems and getting bigger than the males, but this takes a bit of practice. Its a good bet that your biggest plants (for the strain) are all female, though apparantly hermes grow bigger still.

You've got so many plants you can take a guess on a few then throw them in 12:12 to see what happens.

Otherwise, just wait and you'll see preflowers soon even under veg light

electroguy

electroguy

Haha butt. I'm guessing that's the side with the round "hole" in it, definitely a good memory aid... the round thing that is brown

View attachment 1345223

Butt-down planting means the radicle emerges from the top then grows straight down creating a strong apical hook that can bust through the soil. In this pic the seed is planted sideways but you get the idea. You have so many seedlings now I guess you're a master beanpopper by now.

View attachment 1345204

Cool idea having your new pots ready to go, remember to keep the unused soil alive with a bit of water.

As for sexing your plants, males tend to grow spindlier, especially as they mature. You'll notice your female plants suddenly growing much stronger stems and getting bigger than the males, but this takes a bit of practice. Its a good bet that your biggest plants (for the strain) are all female, though apparantly hermes grow bigger still.

You've got so many plants you can take a guess on a few then throw them in 12:12 to see what happens.

Otherwise, just wait and you'll see preflowers soon even under veg light
Thank you. God everybody is so nice and helpful here. I have been watching them very close. I think my wife's getting jealous. BTW, I cut off the top of the solo cups off when I transplanted into bigger pots. That way I don't loose the plant info, strain, germ date etc.

electroguy

electroguy

I hacked the tops off another blue dream and two super lemon haze and cleaned up the under brush throughout. I feel like some of the top fan leaves are really blocking light to the under area. The little super light green on the new branches for example. I know they are for food generation and don't know if I should mess around at all with them. Any ideas?

H

HerbGardner

Thank you. God everybody is so nice and helpful here. I have been watching them very close. I think my wife's getting jealous. BTW, I cut off the top of the solo cups off when I transplanted into bigger pots. That way I don't loose the plant info, strain, germ date etc.
I guess that's what happens when you combine gardening and smoking weed - makes everyon all chill and nurturing. I'm sure your wife will come around once you grow her a bouquet of flowers...

As for pruning, that's more about the art than science of growing so it comes with practice. Basically you don't want any light hitting the ground, and the leaves doing the photosynthesis should be healthy. Just visualize how you want the plant to grow and prune/LST to try get it there, then try again. Here's a guide by one of the farm's master growers.

Never grown indoor myself but those fan leaves are doing a lot of work so I wouldn't remove them. I'd sooner prune lower branches that are shaded out than mess with the top.

electroguy

electroguy

I guess that's what happens when you combine gardening and smoking weed - makes everyon all chill and nurturing. I'm sure your wife will come around once you grow her a bouquet of flowers...

As for pruning, that's more about the art than science of growing so it comes with practice. Basically you don't want any light hitting the ground, and the leaves doing the photosynthesis should be healthy. Just visualize how you want the plant to grow and prune/LST to try get it there, then try again. Here's a guide by one of the farm's master growers.

Never grown indoor myself but those fan leaves are doing a lot of work so I wouldn't remove them. I'd sooner prune lower branches that are shaded out than mess with the top.
That makes sense, thanks

electroguy

electroguy

Good morning fellow cultivators. I hope everybody's plants are happy and healthy today. The malawi / dogtrap / golden glue has some really cool striping on the stalk.

IMG 20230329 062836777 HDR
IMG 20230329 065648719 HDR
Top Bottom