Indoor vs. Outdoor Pros & Cons

• Thread starter markscastle
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Just what is it about the outdoor enviroment that impacts cannabis buds in a negitive way and what control measures improve indoor buds? Outdoor gets more natural light, equal to about 1600 k and can leave less of a footprint on the enviroment when organic amendments are used. Could a closed greenhouse system be used to creat the best of both worlds? Maybe raised beds,Co2,airconditioning or what have you could be incorperated into a closed system greenhouse system along with air refinement/filters and added supplimental HID lighting/darking screens to control flowering time. I heard one Swiss study where Co2 mixing was done prior to greenhouse intake venting and it had a possitive effect on bud quanity.

Looking for the best possibe enviromental control overall for cannibis plants using the least unrenewable energy.

420Gator

420Gator

throw in some solar panels for the supplemental lighting

use a distiller instead of an ro

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Costs need to come down on solar pannels and batteries to be more cost effective. I was thinking rain water collection in a sistern but a solar still would also work. Also a steam powered generator would be nice, could be run off of alcohal made with farm by-products. What I was really wanting was ideas for quality near that of indoor grown using a greenhouse set up.I already grow outdoor that rivels indoor for quality but a closed system greenhouse would prevent mold do to rain and allow the use of preditory insects,ect.

justiceman

justiceman

Interesting idea. Light intensity, Light frequency, temperature, VPD, and unpredictable weather patterns usually impact outdoor cannabis.

I'm thinking you already have a lot of good things planned out with that closed greenhouse system, although heating, A/C, lights, ventilation will be somewhat similar to that of the cost in terms of electricity to that of an indoor crop except for lights witch I suppose is indeed a big ticket item in power.

Collecting rain water is a great idea as well as using greywater(sink, and shower water). When planing to use greywater one should try to use natural and biodegradable soaps and cleaners that are not harmful to the environment. I think you might want to look into permaculture. It's suggests using the "greywater" from you house to water vegetable beds and such. essentially you run the grewater through a home made filter filled with rocks, gravel, and chard wood i believe. See if you can find anything on permaculture.

Solar power would be pretty cool if It could cover the power for heating, A/C, supplemental lighting, and ventilation.

T

TheRealBoss

The trick to amazing outdoor is light dep - harvesting at the height of the sun - as opposed to when the sun has disappeared. You are not fighting mold and PM when harvesting in August!

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
I`m looking at a metal frame greenhouse 28`x 96`x 40`.Triple ply polymer closed system( no vents) with forced scrubbed air/heat.Co2 and steam pipe ground heat pipes around raised beds with remote dark out cover and suplimental lights.Using recycled water and purifyed rain water. Power provided by alcohal /steam generator. I`d use long above ground raised beds and a screen of green.The greenhouse would be sectioned off with veg and flower sections for year round growing.It would be have a computer program controller.All organic liquid ferts would be run through the drip system.Everything including security could be monitored from anywhere.Manual labour would be minimised.Even replacement of soil would be done with a small front end loader. I`d need a seperate trim,dry,cure and storage building.Most work would be planting and harvast time as always. A small tractor could pull a tank and fogger for neem/other aplications as needed between the long above ground planters. It would be expencive to make but once up in place one person could grow some quality/quanity bud except maybe at harvast. with some good trim machines that could cut the work load and labour could be kept at a min.

Latest posts

Top Bottom