intense moisture problem, any possible ideas?

• Thread starter BC_August
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jguit

jguit

Supporter
If you still have RH issues after getting a heater, I would consider a proper dehumidifier over damp rid.

B

BC_August

I would get the heater 1st and get that temps in the right setting. Once you know how it is, than you can look at other options. I think the heater will fix your problem
would a tiny oil heater (500watt, the things like 12" high) dialed in at half be safe to have inside the tent?

B

BC_August

its interesting, can't find many thread at all on ruderalis indica, guess not a lot of people buy it because of what it is. I'm growing it for making medicine as opposed to perfectly trimmed, super potent buds.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
you don't nessacery need to have it in the tent. As long as the temps inside the tent are better. Also, i don't know the difference between ruderalis indica or indica. Just did a google search and it says its more CBD than THC. However, growing it should be more or less the same with the benefit of thriving in colder temps.
So, if that is the case and you want to grow it in cooler conditions than you need to test and find out at what temp will ensure the temp you want inside the tent.
my 30 dollar electric heater, heats my room and i get a 25c temp inside tent. During lights on the heater works less but at night its more on.

B

BC_August

you don't nessacery need to have it in the tent. As long as the temps inside the tent are better. Also, i don't know the difference between ruderalis indica or indica. Just did a google search and it says its more CBD than THC. However, growing it should be more or less the same with the benefit of thriving in colder temps.
So, if that is the case and you want to grow it in cooler conditions than you need to test and find out at what temp will ensure the temp you want inside the tent.
my 30 dollar electric heater, heats my room and i get a 25c temp inside tent. During lights on the heater works less but at night its more on.
Need to use a tent for hiding purposes. I'm from a country where growing/smoking/possession hasn't been legalized. Do i keep an insane amount of cardboard boxes for hiding purposes and a "decoy tent" where i grow my tomatoes :) My main COB LED light in the weed tent is silent, tomato light is loud AF. So for house inspections - "whats that sound?" "oh its my tomato light"

My little oil heater wont heat the garage, might get a bigger one and just time it to come on a couple hours before lights off and turn off an hour after lights on. Trial and error right

I've read the smell isnt huge with this strain but will get a filter if needed.

I'm growing it for yeah, the hardiness it has, the ease of growing and the high cbd, low thc. As we have a group of people over here that grow and produce edibles and rosin for pain sufferers, I plan to join them and help people, as people in my family suffer from arthritis and give it another 5 years and i will too. So yeah, growing for actual medicine, not really to get high-high. i enjoy smoking but also prefer lower thc strains, or in New Zealand we say "is it skunk or outdoor?" outdoor for please.

The common smoker in NZ won't use strain names as we cant easily obtain seeds. So whatever grows grows, if its skunky then we say its skunky indoor, if it comes out not skunky, its "outdoor bush".

It's quite silly, sad and a tad embarrassing. I'd love to live in a country where i can talk about strains etc.

Went into a hydro shop the other day (we only have 2 in this city and its the capital of NZ), i said no illegal words but said "hey man can i talk flippantly?" his response was "since you've asked that i can't serve you". Its that tight here.

Our country spends sooooo much money trying to "fight the war on weed" when we have huge, way more important problems such as a massive meth problem here (its easier to buy than weed) and the opiate problem, which literally never gets talked about, NZs "war on drugs" is just a war on weed and meth.

If we legalised weed, then NZ wouldn't have to keep borrowing moeny from other countries, it'd create SO many more jobs, we'd be out of a recession.

We had a vote to legalise it in 2020 - "Official results were released by the Electoral Commission on 6 November 2020 with 50.7% of voters opposing the legalisation and 48.4% in support."

We lost by 2.3% and probably wont be having another vote for many years, especially if the right/conservatives get in (which is doubtful but for some reason, idiots in this country compare our prime minister to hitler, because the biggest city in NZ has been in lockdown for quite a while because of flu... we have quite a few anti-vaxxers here, its painful)

wow okay that was a rant, sorry whenever i think about that vote it grinds my gears hahah

B

BC_August

annoyingly, my seeds, which were being sent domestically (they dont get scanned/xrayed etc) say theyve been delivered, yesterday, but they havent. Nothing suspect about the bag at all.. either they lied about delivering and itll turn up or the local teens stole it from my mailbox or doorstep. fuckers.
dudes gonna resend if they dont show up in 2 days, frustrated and venting because ive been waiting almost 2 weeks for this guy to finally send em

B

BC_August

seemingly fixed the humidity and temp issue. installed my 2nd light, swapped my inlet and outlet fans so the bigger ones the exhaust, just checked and temp was 23.5C and humidity around 65% i think. have timed them to go on at 8pm until 2pm the next day. Gonna install another small fan for more circulation.
I was attempting to flower a little runt in there but its not doing much so back to 18/6, care more about my tomatoes than the little runt :)

Mursery

Mursery

When we measure humidity we are measuring relative humidity (%RH). It's relative to the temperature.

Cold air can't hold as much water vapor as warm air, so when your lights go off, the temperature drops in your tent and the %RH skyrockets. If it hits 100%, it precipitates out as dew, which is what happened in your case. If your exhaust fan was on, the warm, humid air would have been removed from the tent pretty quickly.

Having your only heat source on during the night, rather than day, is a no-brainer.
Finally! I was getting sick at all the Nad advice folks were giving as if they had a clue.

It's relative. The cold can't hold the water.

Lights on leaf surface temp may be warm enough to start transpiring, especially with fan off raising temp a little.

If able, offset lights (of course this is an entire additional tent) against each other to keep a slightly warmer temp and always have a heat source.

I understand this isn't possibly ideal for you to just double up....but cold garage has lots of variables that may make it less than ideal...and invite pathogens

B

BC_August

Finally! I was getting sick at all the Nad advice folks were giving as if they had a clue.

It's relative. The cold can't hold the water.

Lights on leaf surface temp may be warm enough to start transpiring, especially with fan off raising temp a little.

If able, offset lights (of course this is an entire additional tent) against each other to keep a slightly warmer temp and always have a heat source.

I understand this isn't possibly ideal for you to just double up....but cold garage has lots of variables that may make it less than ideal...and invite pathogens
Great advice, thanks!

I can double up, I have a smaller tent ill be using for tomatoes :) so I can have those lights on while the bigger tents are off, brilliant idea, thanks again :)

D

Deaner

Hey ya'll, so i installed my new tent in its new room the other day (the garage) so far im still waiting on seeds so just have tomatoes in there (other than a little experiment tiny runt plant) but this morning when i went down to check if the new timer i bought had worked okay (it hadnt, its a dud so just used an older one) but my temp gauge was showing 99% humidity! i thought that could be right but when i looked at the plants they were literally dripping with water!
only thing different was i forgot to puts my fan on for the night, i wouldnt think a cold garage would be so damp, i knew temp would be something to tackle but not this.

would having my lights on during the night/cold hours help this? or am i gonna need to get some sort of dehumidifier?

im a total newbie please go easy.

TL;DR - new grow tent at 99% humidity over night, what should i do? lights on over night instead? dehumidifier?
Don't germinate your seeds yet. You need to get your grow environment right first. Humidity follows temperature. Insulating your grow area will stop a lot of condensation. Hot , against cold will produce water from the air. Air exchange is highly important. Also try to heat the space your grow room is n as a buffer.
Sounds like you have some things to fix first.
Respect!!
Rod

D

Deaner

annoyingly, my seeds, which were being sent domestically (they dont get scanned/xrayed etc) say theyve been delivered, yesterday, but they havent. Nothing suspect about the bag at all.. either they lied about delivering and itll turn up or the local teens stole it from my mailbox or doorstep. fuckers.
dudes gonna resend if they dont show up in 2 days, frustrated and venting because ive been waiting almost 2 weeks for this guy to finally send em
Try this site for real genetics, and germination guarantee:
ROCKET SEEDS.COM
Any strain you want! Highly recommend!

IMG 20211224 212519
D

Deaner

Anyway I'll help anyway I can during your grow. No stupid questions, only stupid answers!
Merry Christmas

GrnMtnGrowR

GrnMtnGrowR

Hey ya'll, so i installed my new tent in its new room the other day (the garage) so far im still waiting on seeds so just have tomatoes in there (other than a little experiment tiny runt plant) but this morning when i went down to check if the new timer i bought had worked okay (it hadnt, its a dud so just used an older one) but my temp gauge was showing 99% humidity! i thought that could be right but when i looked at the plants they were literally dripping with water!
only thing different was i forgot to puts my fan on for the night, i wouldnt think a cold garage would be so damp, i knew temp would be something to tackle but not this.

would having my lights on during the night/cold hours help this? or am i gonna need to get some sort of dehumidifier?

TL;DR - new grow tent at 99% humidity over night, what should i do? lights on over night instead? dehumidifier?
pretty sure, touched the roof of the tent and seemed a bit damp, nothing major. Would transpiration cause humidity?

I have a fan for airflow and a small extractor fan, this is a true "poor mans" set up. Don't think ill need a filter as the strain im intending to grow apparently doesnt smell too much, if it does ill get one yeah.

just seems weird, the garage seems like the least humid place in the house hah.

its currently summer here and will start to warm up more soon and stay warm for 4 -6 months, would lights on at night help? during the day yesterday i had no issues. i guess i could just give it a go
If you are just getting into summer than you will have humidity issues unless you dehumidify your whole garage and move a lot more air in and out of your tent with bigger fans. The amount of moisture in your plant pots also adds to the humidity in the tent. It sounds like you should find room in your house for the tent if it's air conditioned.

B

BC_August

Don't germinate your seeds yet. You need to get your grow environment right first. Humidity follows temperature. Insulating your grow area will stop a lot of condensation. Hot , against cold will produce water from the air. Air exchange is highly important. Also try to heat the space your grow room is n as a buffer.
Sounds like you have some things to fix first.
Respect!!
Rod
my seedlings will be going through 2 other grow areas before the grow tent so i have plenty of time :)
1 - seedling grow box with really low wattage lights
2 - my micro grow box that should fit 4-6 seedlings in it until they're strong enough for the main tent

i cant move the tent inside, no room plus we rent/lease, its in the garage so i can hide with all our packing boxes should i need to for inspections, i've also got my decoy tent that ill be grow a couple of tomatoes in.

the dehumidifier has helped a lot, and im going to install some more fans, my air circulation fan is stupidly small and inlet fan doesnt even exist yet.

we're about a month into summer officially, this city isnt particularly hot or humid, just cold and windy

A

Adamstanman773

Definitely get a quality timer and a couple fans. My temperature&humidity gaude has a heat sensor you hang in the tent and the actual digital display can be carried up to 150m away and still read the temp&humidity. That and a speed control unit for your exhaust that has the thermostat so u can set it to come on when the temperature reaches the max you set it at.
If you have 4 or more plants in the tent, try watering 2 one day and the other two 2-4 days later....=less moisture=lower humidity. Good luck man hmu if you got any questions

T

TryingToGrow

Supporter
If you are using fabric pots, have a lot of exposed growing medium, have water sitting around without a cover, etc., that will not be good for humidity.

I cover everything (bottoms of plastic pots and soil/growing medium/res. water, etc.), indoors if humidity is getting high and no fabric pots indoors, way to much humidity coming from them and other reasons too.

Fuzzy_Buzzy

Fuzzy_Buzzy

Run the ruderalis/cannabis (autoflowers) 24/0 lights ON in that situation........To the thread starter.

I'd also run a small ceramic heater (400 watter from amazon) in there at night. If you use LED lighting.

B

BC_August

Run the ruderalis/cannabis (autoflowers) 24/0 lights ON in that situation........To the thread starter.

I'd also run a small ceramic heater (400 watter from amazon) in there at night. If you use LED lighting.
its summer here, the nights aren't cold enough to warrant a heater. gotta think about power cost too.

the ruderalis indica is 50/50 autoflower, they arent ALL autos, they guy im getting them off told me he's never had one auto on him. the ruderalis genetics just give them autoflowering possibilities, its never 100% and usually will just result in a shorter flowering time. ill probably be growing them outside now that ive discovered how truly massive and overgrown our backyard is, its perfect, plus theres 2-3months of over 12hours of sunlight. at the moment its around 16hours, going down about 2 hours every month. might have a shot at it.

D

Deaner

its summer here, the nights aren't cold enough to warrant a heater. gotta think about power cost too.

the ruderalis indica is 50/50 autoflower, they arent ALL autos, they guy im getting them off told me he's never had one auto on him. the ruderalis genetics just give them autoflowering possibilities, its never 100% and usually will just result in a shorter flowering time. ill probably be growing them outside now that ive discovered how truly massive and overgrown our backyard is, its perfect, plus theres 2-3months of over 12hours of sunlight. at the moment its around 16hours, going down about 2 hours every month. might have a shot at it.
Sounds like fast flowering not auto. Fast flower is still photo, so you control the flowering with 12/12. Then a nice short flower time. I'm thinking of getting some from Seed Kings Canada.😁

Latest posts

Top Bottom