Ipm

• Thread starter 1971
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Had to use soil for a while and now my plants are infected with spider mites and thrips. not too terribly bad, but it needs to be dealt with. I've rotated from Floramite SC to Avid. The problem is that Avid only deals with thrips when there is contact. Aside from the continual frustration in having to use pesticides to deal with these pest, and somewhat ineffectively, I've decided to give beneficial predators a shot. I have many clones in veg along with some mothers.

I came across www.rinconvitova.com, and they were incredibly helpful and full of useful information in terms of how to beat back my issues. My order arrives this coming week, so I'll let you know how it goes.

They asked questions as to my humidity levels, temps, size of room, etc. I chose to be honest about what I am growing, which didn't seem an issue, and in fact, they help other growers.

They then recommended a mix of:

cucumeris mites in a slow and fast release system, Hypoaspis mites, A.fallacis, and I ordered some lacewings. Apparently some of the mites I ordered will search out the pests in cracks and what not throughout the grow room.

Some of these are slow to reproduce, others are quick, some do better in different temp ranges, and some have the ability to survive much longer once the food supply is exhausted. The lacewings don't reproduce well indoors, but they were cheap and I wanted to see them in action :)

As the plants in flower progress, I'll have to lower humidity, which benefits the pests, but I'm hoping the bene's hit'em hard over the next couple weeks.

I'll keep you all posted on how things go :)

C

cctt

Avid is a translaminar as well as contact miticide. I'm surprised to hear it hasn't worked, as in my experience it is very effective at killing pests. I usually avoid it whenever possible due to its residual activity. More alternate options are always good to have around.

sorry for the long delay. Mites are gone but still having issues with thrips. I forgot you have to reintroduce predators for them as they don't breed. So everything was great and then the thrips slowly came back. It only costs like $7 plus shipping for the predators to kill the thrips.

never had any issues with my flower rooms and didn't notice any damaged leaves after harvesting. the thrip issue is with my mothers. I'm going to eventually clone all my mothers and then start over in rockwool. soil just introduced too many issues

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

what about plain ole Spinosad?

If you whipped the mites, the hard part is over. Grab some spinosad (monterey is the brand I use) and it will knock the thrips out. Its NOWHERE as toxic as Avid or Floramite

Top Bottom