Is Anyone Here Pulling A Lb With 315cmh

• Thread starter Mac1981
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mac1981

Mac1981

I've read before claims of people pulling a pound with a 315. I haven't seen it personally. The best I've achieved so far is just a little over 10oz. I've only did 2 grows with the 315 so far I was using a 400hps. I was going to try a 9 2gallon pot sog in coco coir with maxigro and maxibloom next to try to hit a pound. Is this even going to be possible with the 315 or am I wasting my time. I'm just curious if anyone has achieved this yet.

Skwisgar1000

Skwisgar1000

Definitely possible, gonna be strain dependent. I have a 315cmh in a 4x4 and can get that with the right strains.
Use bigger pots maybe, if that was my goal, I would grow 4 big plants of a proven strain

Mac1981

Mac1981

I think I'm going to run Willy wonder or herijuana next. I've only ran medium yield plants so far because I was trying to get rid of them like la confidential. I thought about 4 in 3gallon airports, but they get too close to the light if I veg long enough to get 2 or 3oz off them. I thought with the sog I could save height and maybe up yield. Thanks for letting me know it's doable. I love the 315 just wasn't sure what it was capable of I'm still getting used to it.

Skwisgar1000

Skwisgar1000

Yep,
You are the right track, 3 gallon or 5 and definitely multi top them.

Daikokuten

Daikokuten

I agree that this is definitely possible with the right plant. Can i ask if you're hunting cuts or anything though? Trying to get 16 ounces out of 10 ounce plants repeatedly could be seen as a waste of time. I imagine you're doing pretty well though and are allowing the plants to express their yield potential. Your plants are healthy from beginning to end, yeah? Buds are quality when all is said and done?

Scrogger2190

Scrogger2190

Honestly if you're going to try a sog get a strain that is good at building one main cola. Like white rhino comes to mind. Try to make that one massive cola basically theres strains that are single cola dominant

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I got 15 oz dry good nugs with 4 known seeds (Black Widow x Blue Lemon Thai) in 4 #3 nursery pots with ocean forest mixed with 25% large perlite. Well water only during 5 week veg under t-5 fluorescents and transplanting up from cup to #1 to #3 pots of fresh soil mix.

And only Botanicare pure Blend Pro Grow used after soil depleted in final pot. Flowered plants between 9-10 weeks.

Sorry I don’t have pics in my present phone. Tested last year when I bought the sun system remote reflector, Galaxy 315 ballast and a Phillips 3100k bulb.

I will say my best run like this under a hortilux 600w super hps was 22 oz. Lotta hype about lights going on.

Pretty sure I could match the 315 with a 400hps. Maybe need 450 watts if it existed.

450 hps is a pretty fair comparison for the 315 cmh. Still impressive and I like the more natural light.

My best results for bud size and quality were using both hps and cmh.

Mac1981

Mac1981

I'm a decent grower. Think I could reach a pound with 9 2 gallon pots in straight coco with I'm thinking Banana Kush since its already a mother. Think it would be possible to get 2oz a pot in a 3x3 space my max height is 30". If I do Willy wonder or herijuana I have to grow a mother and my tent is currently empty. If banana kush is a shitty sog strain Ill grow one of the other out. This will be my first sog attempt. I normally just do 4 3 gallon airports. So sog is sounding good for the shorter plants. I can't grow them big enough in the 3 gallon without the light getting in the way even with training.

Mac1981

Mac1981

The mother plant I have is either banana kush or golden state banana. I got it as a clone from a friend and I haven't had a chance to run it yet So I'm not sure how it does when it flowers. It seems to be a squat bushy pheno.

R

Riles

You need to focus on filling your canopy. plant count or size will be based on veg time. I pull 13 out of a 4x4 on my first cmh run. It was all Jack Herer, and 90 percent of it came from one dwc plant scrogged out. Had three blocks in the back. The dwc plant and sativa style got away from me, so if I was too close to light by the end. Doable, but you can tell its not quite enough light for the space. Want to do a 630 run

R

Riles

11BE159D 622F 44AF 8A3E E7392CE56E82
1AD7B5DE CB11 4502 9FDD 52CA1AB3103B
7DE2856D 38D2 4ED3 B554 3ADFAF655E8C
11BE159D 622F 44AF 8A3E E7392CE56E82
7DE2856D 38D2 4ED3 B554 3ADFAF655E8C

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

270 watts of LEDs got me 18 ounces dry in a 3x4 space so I won't even look at a 315 CDM.View attachment 835573 View attachment 835574

What lamp are you running there?

I don’t think I could keep my space warm enough with 270 watts. Even the 315 is a little low powered.

And I bet you could have done as well with those cuttings and a 315 Phillips 3100k bulb. But I do see your point with even lower watts.

Does the led include uv? The 315 puts out even uvb. Although honestly I am not sold on uv being something I want more of inside. Just curious.

Daikokuten

Daikokuten

I don’t think I could keep my space warm enough with 270 watts. Even the 315 is a little low powered.

And I bet you could have done as well with those cuttings and a 315 Phillips 3100k bulb. But I do see your point with even lower watts.

Does the led include uv? The 315 puts out even uvb. Although honestly I am not sold on uv being something I want more of inside. Just curious.
Uvb is a part of thc production. It influences most plants that use a similar defense to uvb and environment. Anecdotally, its noticeable when you add uvb to just hps(and probably more so with led). We're not totally sure of plant mechanisms, but we're reasonably certain that trichomes and thc and terpenes specifically are part of cannabis' defense to heat, water loss, uvb damage from the sun, insect and herbivore defense, and potentially even part of affecting the surrounding soil and plants. It seems likely to me that uvb exposure could be a limiting factor to thc production. Theoretically, a certain amount of uvb exposure is required to allow the genetics to express their full genetic cannabinoid and terpene content. Anecdotally, people do comment often about quality increase just from switching to cmh from old hid bulbs and i believe this is due to greater uvb exposure.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Uvb is a part of thc production. It influences most plants that use a similar defense to uvb and environment. Anecdotally, its noticeable when you add uvb to just hps(and probably more so with led). We're not totally sure of plant mechanisms, but we're reasonably certain that trichomes and thc and terpenes specifically are part of cannabis' defense to heat, water loss, uvb damage from the sun, insect and herbivore defense, and potentially even part of affecting the surrounding soil and plants. It seems likely to me that uvb exposure could be a limiting factor to thc production. Theoretically, a certain amount of uvb exposure is required to allow the genetics to express their full genetic cannabinoid and terpene content. Anecdotally, people do comment often about quality increase just from switching to cmh from old hid bulbs and i believe this is due to greater uvb exposure.

I have studied about this for a couple of years now and I have compared quality of my favorite plants grown under 600w Hortilux super hps and the Phillips 315 lec and at first I thought the quality was higher with the 315. Looked frostier and seemed to have a “special” high.

When I went back to hps only the quality actually seemed higher. Patients were picking the hps bud blind 3 to 1.

We don’t lab test anymore but ed rosenthal already proved uv increases thc in his book years ago. But he was growing outdoor land race strains indoors.

But he also proved higher wattage produced more potent marijuana.

I think it may not as positively effect strains bred indoors under hps as much. The breeder of my seeds has grown and bred under hps since the early 90’s or even earlier.

And I also think many hyped up reports of cmh only may be due to cooler temps and better plant health due to the full spectrum. And also some hype due to growing under the more natural light. The first time I moved a plant from under the hps to the cmh I was like “whoa” it looks so much frostier.

I also got almost a half pound more yield with the 600 hps every test.

Also the depth of quality buds is much deeper with hps over the 315. Almost have to use sog or scrog to keep the buds in range.

Also the more blue in the spectrum limits stretch and grows much leafier plants.

My best results were using 2 600’s to 1 315 cmh. Very much the same results as 2 hps to 1 metal halide.

When I rebuild I plan to include both.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Just a simple F-strip home build with some supplemental diodes.
For winter I'll have to throw the 750 DE back up for additional heat. This summer my dehumidifiers and the 750 would overload my a/c capability, it's been an excessively humid fall this year.

I'm not sold on the uv lighting for trich production, I've ran the 10k finishing bulbs and the old 330 watt CMH in 4k and I really can't say I saw a difference in quality or production. Only thing I noticed is a increase of the maturation of the trichs sooner.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Just a simple F-strip home build with some supplemental diodes.
For winter I'll have to throw the 750 DE back up for additional heat. This summer my dehumidifiers and the 750 would overload my a/c capability, it's been an excessively humid fall this year.

I'm not sold on the uv lighting for trich production, I've ran the 10k finishing bulbs and the old 330 watt CMH in 4k and I really can't say I saw a difference in quality or production. Only thing I noticed is a increase of the maturation of the trichs sooner.

I see that too. The cmh starts flowering earlier and finishes 7-10 days sooner on some plants.

Right now I am comparing 12/12 Grows. The 315 in a 3x3 tent and only hps in the flower room.

I got bored again. Lol.

How’s everything going this year with you and your family? We haven’t chatted in quite a while.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

I see that too. The cmh starts flowering earlier and finishes 7-10 days sooner on some plants.

Right now I am comparing 12/12 Grows. The 315 in a 3x3 tent and only hps in the flower room.

I got bored again. Lol.

How’s everything going this year with you and your family? We haven’t chatted in quite a while.
Going good here for now, glad for the cooler weather finally. Lost all my outdoor plants to mold this year because of the messed up weather.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Going good here for now, glad for the cooler weather finally. Lost all my outdoor plants to mold this year because of the messed up weather.

Sorry to hear that. Been a bit weathery around here too. Had heat and ac running to keep us warm and the plants cool. Lol.

Top Bottom