is fresh frozen ok for BHO?

• Thread starter caregiverken
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
cannakis

cannakis

Frozen fresh trim makes a delightful BHO extraction. Freeze the butane too, and check out thermos techniques.
Didn't finish reading this thread but what do you think about the old classic mason jar!?! I just great success thanks to all your help and everyone else's!

Graywolf

Graywolf

Didn't finish reading this thread but what do you think about the old classic mason jar!?! I just great success thanks to all your help and everyone else's!

I like a stainless thermos better, because I don't need refrigeration to keep it liquid for long enough to do an extraction and the container isn't shock sensitive when cold.

cannakis

cannakis

I like a stainless thermos better, because I don't need refrigeration to keep it liquid for long enough to do an extraction and the container isn't shock sensitive when cold.
Ah! Now is the thermos going to leave a an aluminum "Taste" to the resin?

And I want to say THANK YOU for everything! I just unlocked the secret to dabs! The Live Resin is THE SHIT!!! Like you just pull some reclaim, then brush in the brown sugar on the edge then Boom!!! And recycle again!!!

Graywolf

Graywolf

I don't see the mechanisim by which freezing short of two days would improve the extraction. The point is to tie up the water in ice and to make the longer chain molecules slower to extract, so as to end up with less plant waxes and water.

cannakis

cannakis

I don't see the mechanisim by which freezing short of two days would improve the extraction. The point is to tie up the water in ice and to make the longer chain molecules slower to extract, so as to end up with less plant waxes and water.
Wait so do you freeze your stuff for two days? Or are you saying you don't even freeze your tane when using the thermos...? I really feel freezing the tane helps a Lot, but I'm using the mason jar... I need to try the thermos

Graywolf

Graywolf

Wait so do you freeze your stuff for two days? Or are you saying you don't even freeze your tane when using the thermos...? I really feel freezing the tane helps a Lot, but I'm using the mason jar... I need to try the thermos
I'm saying that two days frozen isn't going to produce measurably different product than one day or five days.

Yes the butane should be below 0C. We do it at around -30C.

cannakis

cannakis

I'm saying that two days frozen isn't going to produce measurably different product than one day or five days.

Yes the butane should be below 0C. We do it at around -30C.
Gotcha. Awesome yeah I could tell a Huge difference freezing it... Now would it be feasible to get like a 20lbs tank of ntane from air gas? Or just keep getting the cheap iolite? If I got the tank I would need like regulators and hoses and shit won't I.?

Do you personally like to winterize even if it's frozen? Or do you like the wax crumble?

Graywolf

Graywolf

Gotcha. Awesome yeah I could tell a Huge difference freezing it... Now would it be feasible to get like a 20lbs tank of ntane from air gas? Or just keep getting the cheap iolite? If I got the tank I would need like regulators and hoses and shit won't I.?

Do you personally like to winterize even if it's frozen? Or do you like the wax crumble?

I currently get my Praxair 99.5% Instrument Grade n-Butane, or mixes, from Apis Labs in Eugene, OR. They also ship.

I tested it for purity relative to molecules longer than C-4, typically referred to as Mystery Oil, and it measured 99.9% purity.

After a single distillation and filtration through a VICI Metronics polishing filter, it tests out at 99.995% free of any molecules longer than C-4.

When I extract frozen material, using -30C butane/propane mix, I don't usually winterize with ethanol afterwards, because the wax pickup is so low. You still pick up the wax caps from the trichomes, but significantly less from the leaves, because they are two different waxes.

The molecule on the trichomes is polar on one side and non polar on the other, while the wax on the leaves is strictly non-polar.

cannakis

cannakis

I currently get my Praxair 99.5% Instrument Grade n-Butane, or mixes, from Apis Labs in Eugene, OR. They also ship.

I tested it for purity relative to molecules longer than C-4, typically referred to as Mystery Oil, and it measured 99.9% purity.

After a single distillation and filtration through a VICI Metronics polishing filter, it tests out at 99.995% free of any molecules longer than C-4.

When I extract frozen material, using -30C butane/propane mix, I don't usually winterize with ethanol afterwards, because the wax pickup is so low. You still pick up the wax caps from the trichomes, but significantly less from the leaves, because they are two different waxes.

The molecule on the trichomes is polar on one side and non polar on the other, while the wax on the leaves is strictly non-polar.
DAMN! I LOVE all this info! Will they ship across states?! And so if I get a tank I'll Need to distill it? How do you blast it?

Just found this... Man this seems daunting... http://skunkpharmresearch.com/vacuum-distilling-butane/

Last edited:
cannakis

cannakis

@Graywolf whats your Favorite way to blaze? Concentrate or flower? Shatter or Charris/live resin?

cannakis

cannakis

Also how much Fresh Frozen do you use for each run? 2zips? Or like 1.5? For a 300ml can...

Herb Forester

Herb Forester

Can you please point to anywhere I might read more about this? My keyword searches aren't coming up with much.

Graywolf

Graywolf

@Graywolf whats your Favorite way to blaze? Concentrate or flower? Shatter or Charris/live resin?
I mostly dab using an electric nail.
I don't care whether it is wax, shatter, clear, or live resin, wax/shatter/clear, or Rosin, I like most of them that have good aroma, flavor, and effects.

Not so much charris, because after using refined concentrates, I can now taste the burnt/toasted cellulose form the shafts and discs, when vaporizing kif. Nice opening, but poor finish.

Graywolf

Graywolf

Also how much Fresh Frozen do you use for each run? 2zips? Or like 1.5? For a 300ml can...
Folks running WolfWurx machines of my design, are running pounds at a time and buying butane by the tank.

When I was running a 1" X 36" open column, packed loosely, I used three 300 ml cans.

cannakis

cannakis

Folks running WolfWurx machines of my design, are running pounds at a time and buying butane by the tank.

When I was running a 1" X 36" open column, packed loosely, I used three 300 ml cans.
Damn I wish I wasAble to run that much! One day. One day! But yeah thanks for all the information, I'll get in touch about one of those one day... What's the rough estimate for one of those systems?

Haha yeah I'll stick with running an ounce and one can at a time...! I'm still a little puppy...

Graywolf

Graywolf

Damn I wish I wasAble to run that much! One day. One day! But yeah thanks for all the information, I'll get in touch about one of those one day... What's the rough estimate for one of those systems?

Haha yeah I'll stick with running an ounce and one can at a time...! I'm still a little puppy...

When I personally run for my own use, I use a Mk III, holding about 150 grams, but still put my mark as high up on the big dawg tree as possible, so only the agile or gifted can shame me.

The WolfWurx machines are serious state of the art commercial work horses, and I couldn't afford one either, nor do I have the resources to keep it full of material

Price pretty much depends on which WolfWurx machine and whether it was automated or not. They have designs incorporating one to six columns, with or without inline dewaxing and/or subzero butane injection, with counter flow heat exchanger cooling using a process chiller, or a three coil heat exchanger using alcohol and ice/dry ice, with all pneumatic pumps, or with a one horse NEMA 7 Div I, Class I, electric V-Twin recovery pump.

They also offer both active and passive system designs, soooo I'm predicting a candy store experience for serious commercial extractors, and a good source of ideas for the competent DIY budget builder, using readily available parts.

At the moment WolfWurx is in the middle of a merger and expanding into new quarters, but you will be hearing more from them in due time and they will be putting out a product and price list, that is competitive.

Last edited:
Herb Forester

Herb Forester

I'll see if I saved the article and get back to you.
Thanks, those are a good start for sure, I've been curious about this sort of thing for a while. Sorry I missed your talk at the cup, got diverted from my missions while blazing with yor pard'ner and her ensembled entourage of eclectics. Congrats on all your new business.

Top Bottom