Is growing different strains together a problem ?

• Thread starter zoot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
zoot

zoot

So I just got my seeds today and was wondering if it’s ok to plant different stains together in one grow. I’m thinking each strain might have it’s own optimal environment.
Got my room ready to rock and plan on dropping these seeds tomorrow 👍
Thanks in advance

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
pretty much, if you ask this question, you probably should stick to one for a few times.

some have differing environmental issues, but most are different heights and have to be lifted or a light, if running several, lowered. this needs dialed in. it is easier to dial in different needs once you have some different strains run and you see what the needs are and how to meet them before considering how to run many different ones with many different needs. tends to go badly, you learn nothing and get things messed up and get fatigued with the lot.

what size tent? what light/lights? are they all sativa/indica? which media will you use? what style?

so many things play a part and you need to know enough to ask the right questions

zoot

zoot

Thanks @Ivstealth, we are using HLG 600 . We have two of them in a 7.5x7.5 ft room. I order Kush4/ Girl Scout cookies and wedding cake femminized from Humbolt, and they sent eight other samples free. Ranging from ruthless runtz to purple urkle !! I was shocked. Have 75* and 55% RH. Using FFOF with some extra perlite. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated, here’s a pic of the room, it ready now
21E757E3 2505 4333 8FF8 3F80F15CC1B4

zoot

zoot

Sounds like a plan. We have some regular unknown seeds which we germinated and are about 1” tall, just as a test of the room. Get some experience with those first
Thanks again 😉

S

Sallygram

I have been growing multiple strains at the same time all my life without any issues. The biggest thing that you need to do is remember each plant may have a different finishing time. I have made the mistake cutting the whole garden just because the only plant I checked was done.

zoot

zoot

Good to know, can’t wait to get these going, room is at 75* and 55% RH. Using FFOF but saw a couple of post about Lush being better. Hasn’t come from Amazon yet, so I think I’ll wait for the Lush
Thanks

zoot

zoot

Thanks for the advice, changing heights is no problem.
Opinion on Lush vs FFOF ?? Lush worth waiting for ? 🧐😎

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Thanks for the advice, changing heights is no problem.
Opinion on Lush vs FFOF ?? Lush worth waiting for ? 🧐😎
I haven't tried Lush, but I have tried Formula 707. I like it better than FFOF.

But I'm also in favor of growing sooner rather than later. I can't say it's worth waiting for, especially since I don't know how long the wait is.

Do you buy soil through Amazon?

zoot

zoot

Yes, through Amazon. Local places don’t have it, didn’t want to pay shipping
Why ?

Cypress66

Cypress66

Here’s my set up, just got it running today, regular unknown seedsView attachment 1207897View attachment 1207898View attachment 1207899
I’ve been growing multiple strains for years now but it was very good advice what ivstealth was telling you the things that different plants and the needs of them are not always the same try to grow similar plants to start the heights they grow can be controlled by you you have to be spending time with them and they are not going to be dissapointing you know how they are telling you what they need and they are not needing you will learn how to read them and the way they are reacting to the way you are feeding them and the light and your environment is very important to them That said you have plenty of time for many plants 🌱 so I would say go for it and good luck 😉 peace ✌️

zoot

zoot

Thanks @Cypress66 ! Good advice. Got my wife as growing partner and she is an excellent gardener. Multiple strains it is !! Might as well give it a shot, can’t believe the free seeds, blew our minds. We’re retired, so we have plenty of time to give them attention
Thanks 👍🤞
Started a grow diary too !!

Cypress66

Cypress66

Thanks @Cypress66 ! Good advice. Got my wife as growing partner and she is an excellent gardener. Multiple strains it is !! Might as well give it a shot, can’t believe the free seeds, blew our minds. We’re retired, so we have plenty of time to give them attention
Thanks 👍🤞
Started a grow diary too !!
Be careful with the male plants in your garden keep them apart from each other as far afield as possible stoned is the way of the walk. Peace ✌️

Cypress66

Cypress66

Be careful with the male plants in your garden keep them apart from each other as far afield as possible stoned is the way of the walk. Peace ✌️
As in a separate tent ⛺️ is what I meant by that lol 😂 peace ✌️

zoot

zoot

Thanks but the new seeds are femminized, these little guys are regular seeds, just for making sure my room is working well. The expensive seeds won’t be ruined by a run away male. 😉😀👍

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
well... the fem seeds can get a pronoun expansion in a whim or from you doing and trying to learn 1000s of things half way, or you could cut some of that by sticking to one strain. there is enough differences within one strain to have ones hands full.

i understand all that say "i always did whatever", but if you didnt have to... you can argue that it can and is done, but for best results and best practice eliminate some variables.

the regular seeds i will assume are bag seed? some will tell you all about how bag seed are fine... but for the beginner... and for the industry... not so much.

think about how the bag seed must have gotten there. some plant hermied and spread its hermie nature to some other plant and now you have a genetic tie to the potential to hermie. you, with much work and some good patience and maybe some lab help, could make something worthwhile from it. but as a newbie, what mostly happens is pollen sacs pop and you see some powdery stuff and wonder whats up. then for every plant there are seeds...

but you will dive however headlong you would dive no matter what. so keep notes, a spreadsheet is good, and note everything. watch, wait and watch more. hope you have fun!

rDWCNoob

rDWCNoob

So I just got my seeds today and was wondering if it’s ok to plant different stains together in one grow. I’m thinking each strain might have it’s own optimal environment.
Got my room ready to rock and plan on dropping these seeds tomorrow 👍
Thanks in advance
Im a fairly new grower but almost every grow Ive had has been multiple strains. I grow for personal use and I get bored and dont like smoking one strain for 4-6 months till the next run finishes. The biggest problem Ive had is mixing sativas and indicas with different flowering periods. Although Im currently running a sativa dominant and an indica dominant strain, both with the same flower period, one is 59 days the other 60 and theyve been fine, mostly the same height and I use the same nutes. One thing Ive noticed is the sativa dominant handles lack of water better than the indica. However Im nore internested in finishing the grow than dialing it in perfectly.

My last run was a different story. 2 sativas with a 12 week flower, 2 indicas with an 8 week flower. Thought I could just chop the indcas early and leave the sativa for a couple more weeks. Turned out, the sativa stretched more, over powered the 2 indica and I ended up only getting 3 ounces per plant from the indicas, if that. And, the sativa grew too high and had to bend them over to avoid hitting my light. Wont do that again. Ill likely keep doing multiple strains here and there. but only plants with similar genetics and similar flower period. That seems to work ok for 2-4 plants.

zoot

zoot

Thanks @Ivstealth, I have moved in that direction the more I learn. I appreciate your response and understand what you’re saying. The seeds came from Humbolt which was recommended on this site. I think I can trust their quality. The seeds we started with seeds in a bag recently purchased, just for practice, getting used to regulating the heat, humidity etc.
I guess I feel like a kid in a candy store, want to try everything 😎

Top Bottom