Is It Bad For Soil To Have Gnat Nix On Top For Too Long?

• Thread starter Hellno187
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Hellno187

Hellno187

I haven't seen anything while researching to bolster the assumption that leaving stuff like Gnat Nix and diatomaceous earth is bad. However, I still kind of wonder if having a 1/4 to 1/2 inch of this stuff over my top soil is going to make it retain moisture? Any thoughts?

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
I haven't seen anything while researching to bolster the assumption that leaving stuff like Gnat Nix and diatomaceous earth is bad. However, I still kind of wonder if having a 1/4 to 1/2 inch of this stuff over my top soil is going to make it retain moisture? Any thoughts?
I use gnatgnix mixed with diatomaceous earth 1-2inches deep on all my pots for several(6-7)grows without any ill effect I can discern.

Hellno187

Hellno187

Hey Shroom, I kinda thought after researching that was the case but would rather hear it from someone with experience. Thanks.

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
Hey Shroom, I kinda thought after researching that was the case but would rather hear it from someone with experience. Thanks.
Lmao. I'm a noob. My bad. I thought since I been using it since it came out I was experienced. Best of luck.

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
20141229 093313
gnats can't find a way in to my soil, ever.

I have detailed explination in my grow diary of how I use gnatgnix to stop gnats. I even reuse my gnatgnix.
Best of luck to you.

Hellno187

Hellno187

View attachment 471103 gnats can't find a way in to my soil, ever.

I have detailed explination in my grow diary of how I use gnatgnix to stop gnats. I even reuse my gnatgnix.
Best of luck to you.
You recycle the Gnat Nix huh? That's exactly what I planned on doing because after all it's just ground glass. I figure if I shop vac it, and give it a rinse should be good to go lol.

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
You recycle the Gnat Nix huh? That's exactly what I planned on doing because after all it's just ground glass. I figure if I shop vac it, and give it a rinse should be good to go lol.
Yes. I use a layer of weedblock landscape material between the gnix and the soil. Keeps them from mixing.

Hellno187

Hellno187

Really, weed block huh? What's weed block made of? Just curious I have no experience in landscape and never used the stuff myself.

Hellno187

Hellno187

It's just that black plasticy fabric stuff they put under mulch beds outsdie so grass and weeds dont pop up everywhere.
Oh right that black tarp looking material, I know it's porous but does that effect the way nutrients are absorbed into soil when feeding?

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
Oh right that black tarp looking material, I know it's porous but does that effect the way nutrients are absorbed into soil when feeding?
No.
But it does block 95% of roots trying to grow through it.

Top Bottom