Is It Necessary To Up-pot?

• Thread starter Skurt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Skurt

Skurt

Hi!
Couldn't find whats the pros and cons with transplanting before the final pot.
I'm sure its out there but I could not find any with my search terms..
My current grow went from seeds being planted in root riots and after 1 week I put them in each 4 gallon pot.

I'm still new too growing and this is my first "real" grow so I dont know what I tought I was gonna be able to compare to so I wanted the ask the ones who have done this before :)

MW7945

MW7945

4 gallon might be enough... depending on veg time, growing medium, lighting, space, etc.

Skurt

Skurt

4 gallon might be enough... depending on veg time, growing medium, lighting, space, etc.

I was planning on keeping veg time short since it's gonna be real crowded with 4 ladies in my 2x2. Using gold label special mix and a mars 2 400w.
(Nest round is gonna be a single plant with scrogging)

But I was real curious how transplanting could be beneficial when the changes of stressing the plants out is present.

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

if it is an Indica 4 gallons may work. I would go 5 for an indica. a Sativa on the other hand I would recommend 7-10 gallon pots

MW7945

MW7945

I was planning on keeping veg time short since it's gonna be real crowded with 4 ladies in my 2x2. Using gold label special mix and a mars 2 400w.
(Nest round is gonna be a single plant with scrogging)

But I was real curious how transplanting could be beneficial when the changes of stressing the plants out is present.

4 of them in a 2x2 huh.. are you doing any type of SCROG, LST, Supercropping? Gonna be pretty tight in there. Wouldn't veg long at all

Skurt

Skurt

4 of them in a 2x2 huh.. are you doing any type of SCROG, LST, Supercropping? Gonna be pretty tight in there. Wouldn't veg long at all

I was planing on supercropping depending on growth and necessity and a bit of defoliating. Still waiting for the cotyledons to fall of.

This was a bit rushed but I'd rather do this grow and learn even if it bites me in the ass then have more knowledge when doing one "monster" in the 2x2 haha :)

Skurt

Skurt

I forgot to mention too say there is 2 sativa and 2 indica, tangerine dream and blue cheese

MW7945

MW7945

I forgot to mention too say there is 2 sativa and 2 indica, tangerine dream and blue cheese

oof... good luck man lol

Keep only thick healthy branches and make sure light can get past the canopy

Skurt

Skurt

oof... good luck man lol

Keep only thick healthy branches and make sure light can get past the canopy

Haha gee thanks man, sounds comforting :D
I'm just gonna have fun and keep learning the craft.

But about transplanting to solos and smaller pots before the final pot. Why do that and not plant your seed or jiffy/root riot direct in the pot?

MW7945

MW7945

Haha gee thanks man, sounds comforting :D
I'm just gonna have fun and keep learning the craft.

But about transplanting to solos and smaller pots before the final pot. Why do that and not plant your seed or jiffy/root riot direct in the pot?

I'm not much help when it comes to soil. I grow in coco coir

xavier7995

xavier7995

Normally people up pot for plant nutrition. They eat through everything in the small containers so people move them to fresh dirt. Many don't start in their final containers as it is easy to over water a small plant when it is in a big pot and it makes it easier to move vegging plants around.

Skurt

Skurt

I'm not much help when it comes to soil. I grow in coco coir

I appriciate your input anyhow :)

Normally people up pot for plant nutrition. They eat through everything in the small containers so people move them to fresh dirt. Many don't start in their final containers as it is easy to over water a small plant when it is in a big pot and it makes it easier to move vegging plants around.

But therefore it could make sense moving to a big pot right away to make sure there is plenty of food? If the only con would be the risk of overwatering.

MW7945

MW7945

I was hoping to try out both coco and dwc in some kinda near future so you gon be the first I ask when I do coco :)

Just look for EventHorizan's thread. I think we all grow/have grown in coco

Enforcer

Enforcer

I pot up a few times before my final pot in order to build up the root mass. Larger root system = stronger/healthier plants.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Bingo

Skurt

Skurt

I pot up a few times before my final pot in order to build up the root mass. Larger root system = stronger/healthier plants.

I can understand that. But beside over watering, is there something that limits the plants of getting as large root system if they are planted directly or is it some biological thing that makes the plant push for a greater root development when it gets contained by smaller pots early on?
If not, as it seems to me, one can get the same end result by carefully watering.

I'm sorry if I seem ignorant or anything, this isn't my native langue so it is kinda hard making myself understood and too fully understand.

xavier7995

xavier7995

You are perfectly understandable my man. If you want to sprout straight into your final container that is fine. You never really know exactly how much nutrition is in soil so be wary of the plant running out of food towards the end of flower, I would probably have some teas or something on hand and just be ready for it. As far as I know though, no real reason other than what has been mentioned.

Latest posts

Top Bottom