Is it possible to bring back Thai stick?

• Thread starter juggernaut
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
juggernaut

juggernaut

Would it be possible with a team of breeders and a few hundred acres of farm land to recreate the old Thai stick?

I have no idea where to start with the genetics. Maybe Ace Seeds or finding some seeds on a trip to Thailand.

The biggest problem is if your under 55 you probably haven't actually tried real Thai stick so how would most people judge it.

Nugg

Nugg

I mean yeah...if you grow it in thai land...that's what makes them old strains what the are...there environment...you can grow that seed anywhere,but won't be the same, unless you can mimick everything..

the rrock

the rrock

smoked tthe opium dipped thai stick back in late 70s brought back from phillipines,(oh what a feeling),the sticks were super expensive,$20 a stick which would only roll about 2 pinner joints from it, smoked other sticks in the 80s without opium but just gooey bud on a skewer wrapped with 4lb mono, GL on trying to recreate

THCMonster

THCMonster

Yea like @the rrock said, unless you have a supply of opium laying around then I would say No! But if you had a supply of opium laying around I doubt you would be on here! Lol

Last edited:
Moshmen

Moshmen

Would it be possible with a team of breeders and a few hundred acres of farm land to recreate the old Thai stick?

I have no idea where to start with the genetics. Maybe Ace Seeds or finding some seeds on a trip to Thailand.

The biggest problem is if your under 55 you probably haven't actually tried real Thai stick so how would most people judge it.
My memory of what we called Thai stick was just som decent sensi with fishing line wrapped to a stick I’m sure it was just a gimmick and not real Thai stick? Lol last I seen was prolly 1989 ish

Homesteader

Homesteader

This company has legit Thai and Lao selections. They take a long time to finish 15-20 weeks and both times I grew a Thai strain I disliked the high with a passion. Way to racey for me with hints of psychedelics that I didn't enjoy. Have at it though

Homesteader

Homesteader

I mean yeah...if you grow it in thai land...that's what makes them old strains what the are...there environment...you can grow that seed anywhere,but won't be the same, unless you can mimick everything..
You don't really need to grow it in Thailand any more than you need Afghanistan to grow Kush. You can match most environments indoors

dire wolf

dire wolf

Hey jugg hell yea I been thinking about that for years
Thai stuck in lbs was of the first weed experiences I had
The first Thai stock wasn't opiated as I remember , so we can leave that part out,
The black opiated temple balls , they were opiated .....
I think we just get a good chocolate Thai and work from there
I'm gonna try ....
We should all try
I remember em like yesterday
Also if I can remember , they were tied with a floss thin straw or hay type string .....

Last edited:
Homesteader

Homesteader

Also if I can remember , they were tied with a floss thin straw or hay type string .....

According to this article and a few other places, the original Thai stick was wrapped in strings of silk.

dire wolf

dire wolf

1. I could be wrong , and I got at least a dozen people who I grew up with ,in the 70 's we were all into the Thai stick , had loads of it so I know first hand , never heard anything about " opiated"
  2. I'm gonna see how my buds remember it .....
  3. I think the opiated part is a myth

dire wolf

dire wolf

O

The big under 55 you probably haven't actually tried real Thai stick so how would most people judge it.
Get in touch with me , you won't need any other judges ,
Don't mean to come as a know it all , but my family were major stick peeps......

Nugg

Nugg

Think what you want but you can't mimic what they grew in the 60-70's..wonder why coffee is grown where it is and everything else like that..just like difference races of people.. anyone remember monkey paw..

ozarkgrey

ozarkgrey

Supporter
while i'm sure there is a landrace strain from thailand. what i've smoked was 'tied-stick' not thai stick. buds with a stick though them and rolled in a hash oil and tied with string to keep it all together. imo this is much like hash from far away lands... the likey home of getting that type of product on the street level is fairly slim. however getting a quality hash made somewhere nearby and given a extoic name sounds more likely.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

1. I could be wrong , and I got at least a dozen people who I grew up with ,in the 70 's we were all into the Thai stick , had loads of it so I know first hand , never heard anything about " opiated"
You would be incorrect regarding #3; as The Rock said the Thai stick I remember from the 70s was all sprayed with opium

Homesteader

Homesteader

Think what you want but you can't mimic what they grew in the 60-70's..wonder why coffee is grown where it is and everything else like that..just like difference races of people.. anyone remember monkey paw..
Why can't you?
Coffee can be grown anywhere provided you give it the correct conditions and nutrients just like cannabis or any other flowering plant. Is it economical to grow in a greenhouse instead of mountain slopes in Africa? Probably not considering coffee takes 4 years to flower, but many people have grown coffee with great success for their own personal gain.

Moshmen

Moshmen

No myth smoked it! talk about relaxing !

Moshmen

Moshmen

Why can't you?
Coffee can be grown anywhere provided you give it the correct conditions and nutrients just like cannabis or any other flowering plant. Is it economical to grow in a greenhouse instead of mountain slopes in Africa? Probably not considering coffee takes 4 years to flower, but many people have grown coffee with great success for their own personal gain.

Success yes, same quality no-

Homesteader

Homesteader

Success yes, same quality no-
I don't have any experience growing coffee myself but I don't see why you couldn't grow the same quality if you match the conditions. It sounds like a lot of people have been doing it over the past few years.

dire wolf

dire wolf

I
No myth smoked it! talk about relaxing !
maybe in later years there was one with opium , I never experienced that and I was dealing it for years , guess I'll do some research and interviews to see exactly what the truth is , maybe there were 2 versions ,the ones I had were 10.00 and wrapped in what looked like bamboo thread , just a chocolate / reddiish sativa
We had plenty of opiated products around just not Thai stick
There was another that came later called "Buddha" stick
Maybe that's the opiated one
I'll research

dire wolf

dire wolf

Here's the next question , were you smoking Thai stick in 1970
Or ever have 5 lbs of it in front of you in 1970 ?
Or are you just getting your info from some old dude who remembers , way back when
Or even worse the Internet ?

Top Bottom