Is it Possible to make a multi strain mother with grafting?

• Thread starter Funkfingers
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

Funkfingers

Was having a discussion today with a friend/mentor. Being in a state with a limited plant count, the ability to keep multiple mothers and still try to provide trees for yourself consistently would be near impossible. But what if you could have one mother plant with like five different strains grafted on to it?

Now I don't know how possible this is, but it works with fruit trees so why not herb? Does Anyone have any experience in this subject?

:spacecraft: Funk

4u2sm0ke

4u2sm0ke

yep just as Midnightgardner di..I have 3 strains on one base plant now..Im working to get 5 on..good luck fun fun

THC Scientific

THC Scientific

Wow, Funny I was thinking about this like last week if its possible to get it done with cannabis.

F

Funkfingers

Very nice thanks guys.. Although I suppose a simple google might have brought that up for me.. I think that this would be invaluable to mmj patients with multi-strain needs.

( or a simple glance down the page):rauch08:

S

SouthernFarms

very cool! I had been wondering about this ever since I started. I did quite a bit of Citrus Tree grafting in FFA in jr. high. Can't wait to try it with some plants.

M

MASSES 420KING

how does grafting work i read a lil on the subject but all it did was perplex me even more do i root a clone onto an already established clone mother how would i go about attaching them together

M

MASSES 420KING

and imagine the possibilitys in the flowering room 5 different strains on one plant crazy

K

KING_KONG_KOLAS

You cut a wedge shape like a v cut.. them dip in graft... good luck gents..

TheCoolestMan

TheCoolestMan

Premium Member
Supporter
sick! great for outdoor!! several strains on one huge plant!

P

Purkle

Premium Member
Supporter
I wonder what would happen if you grafted a vegging plant onto a flowering one? Say near end of flower I graft and just use the root stock that is existing? Hmmm We could really do some crazy shit here I think. Maybe outdoors and indoors. Got me thinkin

S

slimjoint

how would the plant distribute nutes to strains with different needs?

X

Xceptional

if you really want to expand this idea add in air layering! 5 strains on a single plant grafted, air layer 5 clones of each strain and viola you have 30 plants that are by state rules only a single plant!

F

fatman

They even grafted mj cuttings onto Humulus lupulus plants in the 70's. That took the courts a while to deal with. The majority of the plant was a Humulus lupulus plant with just a few branches of mj that budded as usual. A Humulus lupulus plant is often grown to provide flavoring of beer. It is the flower cone that is used. It is called a Hop. Hence the term Hops as an ingrediant in beer.

O

Octopus Sun

Grafting is a cool idea, you should study up on citrus grafts and such. With certain species the mother plant alone can not produce a decent tasting fruit or nice looking flower. With grafting one can take a bitter decorator fruit or even better an heirloom variety that has lost flavor and vigor, that when grafted onto a Strong mother root, will take on those characteristics of the new root stock.

This means that the decorator or heirloom variety if grown out to harvest on the original rootstock, the taste or size of the fruit or flower will be of no value to the market.

Now the decorator or heirloom variety grafted onto a new mother rootstock takes on the new rootstocks strength and more. Fruits like oranges and grapes become tastier and more valuable to the markets due to higher sugar content and more, which is how the wine industry and citrus industry work.

What our ancstors did was to take wild grapes or oranges, roses, and such, then graft these onto modern current plants to see what changes would happen to the new parasite plant grafted onto the modern rootstock.
Many different things may happen, usually it is the size, and flavors, and scents that change first, then shapes morph.
This could lead onto something for sure, such as new flavored, larger, danker buds and more, because the mother rootstock determines what happens to the new graft. The grafted buds would definitely take on new characteristics and flavors.
something to ponder for sure.

G

ghostfacegrower

for those that never heard of arborsculpture - learn to grow a chair or anything really.

Top Bottom