Is it really important to flush before harvest?

• Thread starter Emedicen
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Emedicen

Emedicen

Can anyone explain if it is important to flush cannabis or can they be dried without flushing?

dire wolf

dire wolf

'It's also a growers intuition , like how much nutrient buildup you think you have , is the grow finished in an organic soil , or grown with synthetic nutes and how much ? How many additives such as bloom boosters ? Might want to leach some of the bottled nutes out of the medium

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

'It's also a growers intuition , like how much nutrient buildup you think you have , is the grow finished in an organic soil , or grown with synthetic nutes and how much ? How many additives such as bloom boosters ? Might want to leach some of the bottled nutes out of the medium

This is a great answer to a question that doesn’t have a yes or no answer like people want.

Now if you could head over to a defoliation thread and explain there are variables it would be much appreciated. :-)

TSD

TSD

Flushing is mostly so you get any residual nutrients out so you're not smoking anything but pure bud... I grow organic and I usually just give plain water in the week or so leading up to harvest, then let them dry out a bit so they're not completely saturated when I chop. I have smoked stuff that I could tell was not flushed or that someone gave it way too many nutes in flower. You don't want to spend all that time on your girls and end up with chemically tasting nugs.

Emedicen

Emedicen

Flushing is mostly so you get any residual nutrients out so you're not smoking anything but pure bud... I grow organic and I usually just give plain water in the week or so leading up to harvest, then let them dry out a bit so they're not completely saturated when I chop. I have smoked stuff that I could tell was not flushed or that someone gave it way too many nutes in flower. You don't want to spend all that time on your girls and end up with chemically tasting nugs.
Is it better to flush with distilled water?

AnimalHouse

AnimalHouse

Supporter
Back in the late 80s, early 90s when rockwool was like the go to medium in hydro flushing became a thing because rockwool would get crazy amounts of salt build up. Had nothing to do with the plant and everything to do with the medium holding undissolved salts.
Then at some point growers started doing it in most mediums partly due to stoner science and thinking they had to and partly because people would over feed their plants and it was a way to fix it.
I personally think it's pointless and follow the *Grandpa didn't flush his weed, Dad didn't flush his weed, and I'm not gonna flush my weed* philosophy. But then of course Grandpa, Dad, and myself just grew in rich organic soil so there's nothing toxic that needs to be flushed out 🙃

Moshmen

Moshmen

Flushing is a myth imo. If the veggies we eat aren't flushed before harvest then it's mostly stoner science
If ya ever worked a farm you would know they don’t eat what they sell ! Lmao from beans to beef!
personnally I can tell the difference in veggies and fruits may be in my head but I think I can I think I can !

growsince79

growsince79

If ya ever worked a farm you would know they don’t eat what they sell ! Lmao from beans to beef!
personnally I can tell the difference in veggies and fruits may be in my head but I think I can I think I can !
I never tried smoking a jalapeno pepper. But they do taste better and have more heat if you quit watering before harvest. Less water = less nute uptake?

Cypress66

Cypress66

I also personally don’t consider what do flushing I just cut back on the food a bit balanced grow nutes none of that other commercial crap
I have always flushed my plants as well first few times with ph water and then just water i done it with the ph water right through before but i could taste the acid in the buds 100% and I’ve smoked bud before that’s not been flushed and it tasted like detergent but it’s probably down to what you are using but people like Jorge juventis think that is the wrong spelling sorry but this is a very educated man as far as cannabis information his bible is a great book for reference on pretty much any thing about growing ill have to look to be sure but I think he says like the dude before organic you don’t have to but chemical nutrients you have to i always stop the nutes two weeks before the harvest anyway so it’s more of case of just a feed with no nutes have to give them something to keep them alive not that i know anything but I will always give them water 💦 for the last two weeks as they need it but every man to his own peace ✌️

BRUUPLIFE420

BRUUPLIFE420

You'll know when your plants are outta nutes. They'll start turning yellow, red brown purple! (End of FlowerxD). And even orangish colors. Like @dire wolf said it all depends but you should see at least a deterioration in the colour of leaves. As a organic grower, it's easy to see the last ditch effort of the plant to uptake nutes. But yeah all depends on if they've been stressed extra cpl of weeks of flower . Good luck GroMe.

Cypress66

Cypress66

You'll know when your plants are outta nutes. They'll start turning yellow, red brown purple! (End of FlowerxD). And even orangish colors. Like @dire wolf said it all depends but you should see at least a deterioration in the colour of leaves. As a organic grower, it's easy to see the last ditch effort of the plant to uptake nutes. But yeah all depends on if they've been stressed extra cpl of weeks of flower . Good luck GroMe.
Yeah my leaves started turning yellow at week seven they are getting their 48hrs darkness pre harvest now but the leaves are pretty much dead looking but not falling off it’s definitely eaten everything in the leaves never had this much yellowing before using Dutch pro but the grotek is a bit more concentrated think I need the cal mag using this

BRUUPLIFE420

BRUUPLIFE420

Yeah my leaves started turning yellow at week seven they are getting their 48hrs darkness pre harvest now but the leaves are pretty much dead looking but not falling off it’s definitely eaten everything in the leaves never had this much yellowing before using Dutch pro but the grotek is a bit more concentrated think I need the cal mag using this
Week 7 let er go! , adding nutes in the last 2 weeks would be a cracking sentence while you smoke your joints !!. Make sure you flush bro , good luck GroMe.

mashy

mashy

Dry , harvest without flushing is no problem , just curious though what would prevent you from flushing ....you can begin a week or so before harvest
I harvested a plant without flushing growing outdoors due to budrot starting and foreboding weather. I imagine there would be other unforseen pest/weather events that would force growers to harvest without flushing.
Anyways, the reading I did at the time indicated there was no substantial benefit from flushing - when I mainly considered articles that had some level of evidence presented. Eg article by A.J. Herrington in High Times last year. Also various small time growers that posted about blind taste tests on friends.

Dr.Green55

Dr.Green55

I'll stir the pot lol, Organic vs synthetic is a load of crap, doesn't matter which way you feed, as long as your feeding properly and not adding a bunch of extra junk the plants don't need. I've been in many rooms where people could not tell the difference between properly grown organic and synthetic. the issue is people generally over feed synthetic and add a bunch of additives leading to a build up. feed the plant properly and there really should be no need to flush, if you think your over feeding then give just water the last week or so. I generally tell people growing with synthetic ferts to flush as chances are they are over feeding and adding additives. thats not a fertilizer issue its a grower issue.

BRUUPLIFE420

BRUUPLIFE420

I'll sir the pot lol, Organic vs synthetic is a load of crap, doesn't matter which way you feed, as long as your feeding properly and not adding a bunch of extra junk the plants don't need. I've been in many rooms where people could not tell the difference between properly grown organic and synthetic. the issue is people generally over feed synthetic and add a bunch of additives leading to a build up. feed the plant properly and there really should be no need to flush, if you think your over feeding then give just water the last week or so. I generally tell people growing with synthetic ferts to flush as chances are they are over feeding and adding additives. thats not a fertilizer issue its a grower issue.
Only had to read the first sentence and I agree I completely agree.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

That myth is busted with multiple university studies, here is one of them: CLICK HERE

Even with the evidence showing flushed and non flushed cannabis has the exact same nutrient content, people will still argue for flushing because it washes away excess nutrients from the bud, which is impossible, flushing only affects the rhizosphere. You have to figure it out for yourself because people will always argue both sides til the end of time.

I do agree to taper off nutrients the last 2 weeks because the plant will use up reserves in the leaves and it is a waste to give full strength nutes up until chop.

Top Bottom