Is it really important to flush before harvest?

• Thread starter Emedicen
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cypress66

Cypress66

Week 7 let er go! , adding nutes in the last 2 weeks would be a cracking sentence while you smoke your joints !!. Make sure you flush bro , good luck GroMe.
My plants usually have a nine to ten weeks so I stop at the end of the seventh week giving them the last two weeks nutes free all going on the trichs i can’t think of any plants that I have grown that have been ready before nine weeks this Kush was a seven week finished according to rqs it went nearly ten weeks and probably could have gone the full ten or more you have about a seven day window peak time depending on what you like your trichs looking like mate of mine grows out side every year and he gives them a tamato feed once after that just water and they are huge and lovely buds done it for years

Moshmen

Moshmen

I harvested a plant without flushing growing outdoors due to budrot starting and foreboding weather. I imagine there would be other unforseen pest/weather events that would force growers to harvest without flushing.
Anyways, the reading I did at the time indicated there was no substantial benefit from flushing - when I mainly considered articles that had some level of evidence presented. Eg article by A.J. Herrington in High Times last year. Also various small time growers that posted about blind taste tests on friends.
Cuz most smokers don’t know what good pot is. I can tell for sure.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Myth Busted. Lol I guess your weed crackles snaps AND pops, for no reason. Here we have it folks lol.

Moisture is what causes bud to crackle when smoked, not nutrients that are in the buds. They would shrivel up and die if ALL the nutrients were somehow flushed out. Why do you think leaves die off when flushing, it is because those nutrients are going into the buds.

Every scientific university study that has been done on this proves that buds have an equal amount of nutrients regardless of flush when grown in the same condition.

BRUUPLIFE420

BRUUPLIFE420

Moisture is what causes bud to crackle when smoked, not nutrients that are in the buds. They would shrivel up and die if ALL the nutrients were somehow flushed out. Why do you think leaves die off when flushing, it is because those nutrients are going into the buds.

Every scientific university study that has been done on this proves that buds have an equal amount of nutrients regardless of flush when grown in the same condition.
Touche lol bon nuit😄😁😎

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I dont flush per se but I do reduce the nutrient level as after swelling and bulking is done they really don't need much in terms of nutrients and photosynthesis goes down quite a bit.

Now imo it depends on the media used in hydro we simply lower the ppm in soil not so easy so feeding with plain water will accomplish this. But imo plants still need a low amount of balanced nutrients as they still have functions to carry out. I think the most important thing is not to overfeed to begin with once nutrients are in the plant you not pulling them out.

So is a flush needed? I'd say that depends on how it's been fed, the media it's in and and the condition of the rootzone.

This may piss off the organic guys but simply put organic and inorganic nutrients are the same when taken up by the plant... all in ionic (salt) form. The difference is how they have been derived either organically or syntheticly. A plant does not distinguish the process of how they were broken down to be available. That's not to say there are advantages and disadvantages to both but in terms of availability once they are in available form they are essentially the same.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Now imo it depends on the media used in hydro we simply lower the ppm in soil not so easy so feeding with plain water will accomplish this. But imo plants still need a low amount of balanced nutrients as they still have functions to carry out. I think the most important thing is not to overfeed to begin with once nutrients are in the plant you not pulling them out.

So is a flush needed? I'd say that depends on how it's been fed, the media it's in and and the condition of the rootzone.

This may piss off the organic guys but simply put organic and inorganic nutrients are the same when taken up by the plant... all in ionic (salt) form. The difference is how they have been derived either organically or syntheticly. A plant does not distinguish the process of how they were broken down to be available. That's not to say there are advantages and disadvantages to both but in terms of availability once they are in available form they are essentially the same.
Even in hydro, rockwool anyways man. The guys I know that grow commercially have done a shit ton of product analysis and market testing and they still go 5 days of pure tap water with ppm <100 at the end. Because the smoke is just more enjoyable, it burns better, and is less harsh. Idgaf what the science and studies say, ive done both ways and will never finish a plant in any media with nutrients of any kind again. Water only finish ftw in Dirtbags world.

I'm not a fan of calling it a flush though. I'm not flushing anything, or even getting much of any runoff. Just stop adding nutrients. They don't need it, and my pet theory is those salts get trapped, unutilized in the vascular tissue, xylem and phloem. So not the same as overall tissue concentrations.

Last edited:
Cypress66

Cypress66

Even in hydro, rockwool anyways man. The guys I know that grow commercially have done a shit ton of product analysis and market testing and they still go 5 days of pure tap water with ppm <100 at the end. Because the smoke is just more enjoyable, it burns better, and is less harsh. Idgaf what the science and studies say, ive done both ways and will never finish a plant in any media with nutrients of any kind again. Water only finish ftw in Dirtbags world.

I'm not a fan of calling it a flush though. I'm not flushing anything, or even getting much of any runoff. Just stop adding nutrients. They don't need it, and my pet theory is those salts get trapped, unutilized in the vascular tissue, xylem and phloem. So not the same as overall tissue concentrations.
Interesting discussion

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I'm usually happy at 300ppm or lower. But I'm also using tap. At that I get a small amount of nutes and if not over fed I find it adequate. The gelato last round though was over fed and it could have prob used better flush at the end.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Rx Green Technologies Flushing Trial

Just wanna spread some info I found, hopefully it will be helpful to somebody.
For discussion sake... what water source was used to flush? Iron higher with the flush... possibly tap water or wrll water high in Iron? If it's not RO there would be definite nutrient ratio imbalances that may account for the findings?

I prefer to reduce the nutrients to very low levels but still provide a small amount of balanced nutrient.

I also think a large part is how aggressively they have been fed leading up to the flush.

Odiesel

Odiesel

For discussion sake... what water source was used to flush? Iron higher with the flush... possibly tap water or wrll water high in Iron? If it's not RO there would be definite nutrient ratio imbalances that may account for the findings?

I prefer to reduce the nutrients to very low levels but still provide a small amount of balanced nutrient.

I also think a large part is how aggressively they have been fed leading up to the flush.
Yeah i thought about this i would be flushing with my local Tap water but contemplated using some RO water for the flush since it would possibly be better to add no sort of minerals compared to the ones that are in the tap water

mashy

mashy

I know this will rub some people the wrong way, but most reading I have done indicates:
- when in a blind situation (such as study conditions or grower asking friend to pick the difference) most conclusions indicate there is little to no difference between flushed and not
- most people who indicated that they could notice a strong difference already knew if the weed was flushed before smoking.
Just wondering if placebo effect could be playing a role? It a powerful thing. Peace and skittles 🙂

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I know this will rub some people the wrong way, but most reading I have done indicates:
- when in a blind situation (such as study conditions or grower asking friend to pick the difference) most conclusions indicate there is little to no difference between flushed and not
- most people who indicated that they could notice a strong difference already knew if the weed was flushed before smoking.
Just wondering if placebo effect could be playing a role? It a powerful thing. Peace and skittles 🙂
I agree... I put little into those types of results. I kinda feel like again it's something that going to be independent and possibly different between growers and grows. Some may benefit more than others??? Idk it's a tough one and been discussed a million times. Much like defoliation in some instances it's great in some not so great. For my grows I have found if I cut the nutes back after the swelling it makes a big difference. If I reduce it even more will it help even more? Idk never felt the need to try because I haven't smoked much smoother than I grow but again is that just bias lol.

I do think at the very least reducing the nutrients at the end helps alot for my grows

mashy

mashy

I do believe a lot of people when they say they can tell the difference, and that it's better for them to ease off the nutrients. Just interesting that I couldn't seem to find anything along the lines of "highly experienced smokers correctly identified the flushed buds 78% of the time". 🤔

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I do believe a lot of people when they say they can tell the difference, and that it's better for them to ease off the nutrients. Just interesting that I couldn't seem to find anything along the lines of "highly experienced smokers correctly identified the flushed buds 78% of the time". 🤔
I wonder what the numbers are on a study like that for cured vs uncured would be.... this is a classic example of why I just disregard most of the studies (see vid at the end, someone else linked this before and it rang so true). I can absolutely say that the drying and curing makes a huge difference. Wonder if the difference is less pronounced after a proper dry and cure. Although I can say an overfeeding plant still tastes like shit after a proper dry and cure than one that was fed adequately. I know many growers that dry pretty fast and therefore no cure. In my mind that may have a larger impact if that makes sense.... maybe I'm just tired and rambling lol.

Timbo0716

Timbo0716

I do believe that most humans are full of it. I have done blind food taste on people that claim they do not like certain spices in their food. Not a one of them that claimed anything were able to tell the spice they did not like was in there. They actually asked what was in it, because it tasted better than theirs. You think you can tell the difference, but odds are your just guessing. Try it, bet you will be surprised.

mashy

mashy

I wonder what the numbers are on a study like that for cured vs uncured would be.... this is a classic example of why I just disregard most of the studies (see vid at the end, someone else linked this before and it rang so true). I can absolutely say that the drying and curing makes a huge difference. Wonder if the difference is less pronounced after a proper dry and cure. Although I can say an overfeeding plant still tastes like shit after a proper dry and cure than one that was fed adequately. I know many growers that dry pretty fast and therefore no cure. In my mind that may have a larger impact if that makes sense.... maybe I'm just tired and rambling lol.

Love it, especially Penn's commentary - 'it's the same fcking banana!'

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
on taste... you can change things by combining taste sensations. also by adding/subtracting smells. fascinating thing taste! lots of science on taste!

the plant gets to a point and it stops taking up nutrients. so flush or not, the plant decides when, and stops feeding.

Top Bottom