Is It Too Late To Start Seed Outdoor In Norcal?

• Thread starter mantisclaw
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mantisclaw

mantisclaw

I just purchased some Cannaventure Legends Mix and some HSO Ewe-2 (U2 Kush) seeds and have very little outdoor experience. I'm new to Northern California and not sure if its too late to start a grow outdoors. Any suggestions?
Also will using a different medium play a role in my time frame? I'm going to be using a 75% coco 25% perlite mix and possibly mix in some HP Pro Mix and Rainbow Mix Pro....maybe even some hydroton. Thanks ahead of time for your feedback.

Goodolboy

Goodolboy

It is a little late to start seeds I'm sure you could and still do well but since we are already half way thru may I would try to find clones or plants that are already sexed and vegging strong . mix sounds fine as long as you got some nutes on hand . Hope this helps.

CBDEMON

CBDEMON

You can definitely start seeds outside still. In fact they would be a much better option than clones in my opinion as they will not flower until they become somewhat mature. If you put clones outside they are going to start to flower immediately without supplementary light(we're at about 15hrs sunlight/day right now) and then when time comes to veg in june/july, they will re-veg and then re-flower leaving you with fluffy, leafy, improperly developed flowers. Mediums won't change your harvest time frame but with that much coco you're going to need to use a whole lot of nutes to keep the plants thriving. Remember not to let the coco dry out very much, coco works best if it's moist constantly.

rubthe nub

rubthe nub

I agree with what @CBDEMON said above, definitely not to late to pop beans. I've popped as late as Memorial Day

As far as the clones go here's my $.02

They'd HAVE to be on a 16/8 schedule if they're not, chances are very high they'll start flowering as soon as you put them out. The one hour difference shouldn't be enough to make them "trigger". So unless you know for a 100% fact how they were grown, you'd be better off with beans.

fwiw, with that mix you'd better be prepared to either automate your watering or water 2 maybe even 3 times per day. If you miss a watering during a hot August day it could be disastrous.

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

Pop those seeds playa! You could have started them earlier, but you can still produce some monsters if you pop those today. Don't wait for any more responses, POP THOSE BEANS! Then start a log so we can follow along. Good luck. :)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
It is a little late to start seeds I'm sure you could and still do well but since we are already half way thru may I would try to find clones or plants that are already sexed and vegging strong . mix sounds fine as long as you got some nutes on hand . Hope this helps.
Halfway through? Not in NorCal we're not. I've started as late as July 31st and gotten pounds off her.

Paperchase

Paperchase

Halfway through? Not in NorCal we're not. I've started as late as July 31st and gotten pounds off her.
Damn sea u started seeds that late and got pounds wat strain was that and when did u take the buds ?

Goodolboy

Goodolboy

Yea sorry didn't mean to put them out right away at the end of the month is what I meant . And I've always had my seeds vegged up by now . And yes sea even in nor cal we are half way through may . Impressive you started seeds that late and still got a decent yield.

Blaze

Blaze

You are about 6-10 weeks behind what would be ideal for starting seeds in NorCal, but you can still pop them. Just don't expect to get a huge yield since you will have a lot less veg time.

Also that is an absolutely terrible medium mix for growing outside. Very little buffer, poor water holding capacity, and next to nothing for nutrient content.. As rubthe nub pointed out, all it's going to take is one missed watering during the hot summer months and your crop will be screwed.

mantisclaw

mantisclaw

You can definitely start seeds outside still. In fact they would be a much better option than clones in my opinion as they will not flower until they become somewhat mature. If you put clones outside they are going to start to flower immediately without supplementary light(we're at about 15hrs sunlight/day right now) and then when time comes to veg in june/july, they will re-veg and then re-flower leaving you with fluffy, leafy, improperly developed flowers. Mediums won't change your harvest time frame but with that much coco you're going to need to use a whole lot of nutes to keep the plants thriving. Remember not to let the coco dry out very much, coco works best if it's moist constantly.
The coco medium I plan on using is Coco Connoisseur and the impression I got from the video and online info was promising as far as not needed too much nutes. As far as my genetics I am going to focus on seeds and leave clones out of my gardens. I have had my share of problems from making 700 mile trips and paying too much for clone A and getting clone B and the list goes on for me.

mantisclaw

mantisclaw

I agree with what @CBDEMON said above, definitely not to late to pop beans. I've popped as late as Memorial Day

As far as the clones go here's my $.02

They'd HAVE to be on a 16/8 schedule if they're not, chances are very high they'll start flowering as soon as you put them out. The one hour difference shouldn't be enough to make them "trigger". So unless you know for a 100% fact how they were grown, you'd be better off with beans.

fwiw, with that mix you'd better be prepared to either automate your watering or water 2 maybe even 3 times per day. If you miss a watering during a hot August day it could be disastrous.
Thank you! As far as watering goes I plan on watering 2-3 times per day and I prefer to do it by hand. Even when I had multiple large indoor gardens I preferred to do it by hand. I'm still new at this and that time gives me a chance to study the genetics and gear. I also simply find it therapeutic. But it does sound like I need to start working on a super soil type mix until I figure things out better.

mantisclaw

mantisclaw

Pop those seeds playa! You could have started them earlier, but you can still produce some monsters if you pop those today. Don't wait for any more responses, POP THOSE BEANS! Then start a log so we can follow along. Good luck. :)
I've studied so many of the grows on here and never once logged in to this site and many others like it. I can honestly say that it will be an honor and a privilege to post my come back grow on thcfarmer so that all can follow along! Thank you bulldog!

mantisclaw

mantisclaw

Yea sorry didn't mean to put them out right away at the end of the month is what I meant . And I've always had my seeds vegged up by now . And yes sea even in nor cal we are half way through may . Impressive you started seeds that late and still got a decent yield.
At this point I'm not really too interested in yield. In fact I'm not even interested in the flower itself. I'll probably make some tinctures and give the rest away. I'm really looking forward to finding something special from the Legends Mix and slowly with the help from my new farmer friends start build a nice collection. This is basically the 1st step to a lifetime task.

mantisclaw

mantisclaw

You are about 6-10 weeks behind what would be ideal for starting seeds in NorCal, but you can still pop them. Just don't expect to get a huge yield since you will have a lot less veg time.

Also that is an absolutely terrible medium mix for growing outside. Very little buffer, poor water holding capacity, and next to nothing for nutrient content.. As rubthe nub pointed out, all it's going to take is one missed watering during the hot summer months and your crop will be screwed.
Okay that definetly makes sense about the coco medium. I used it on a very small outdoor in SoCal and I harvested some amazing flower. But, that was when things were different. How about this stuff called Coco Connoisseur? I believe its by Illuminati Nutrients and its basicly the same mix that I created for my SoCal outdoor grow give or take a few things.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I agree with that, but I also think you'll be better off going with something closer to a true soil due to the cost of working with products like coir or Sunshine #4 on a large scale. I'm seriously cheap.
Damn sea u started seeds that late and got pounds wat strain was that and when did u take the buds ?
Fuck if I remember! That was close to 10yrs ago. :o
Halfway through May, that makes more sense. I thought you were saying we're halfway through the grow season, and I'll debate that one. ;)

I was surprised, but as long as I've got time, I'm usually willing to give it a try. What's the worst that could happen, right?

mantisclaw

mantisclaw

Thank you for all the great advice! More then anything else I just want to be the happy farmer I know I can be. I don't have to stress about producing flowers for any collective. I really want to pheno hunt this Legends Mix. Regarding soil I might just experiment with a few different types just to have fun. I'm also popping some ata tundra, somango and ewe 2. I'm going to be given my 1st grow updates here on it all very soon and I look forward to any feedback and tips. There's not too much info on the Legends mix and what phenos I should be looking out for so I'm just going to do my best. Whatever comes out at the end I will make a little tincture for myself and donate the rest.

Latest posts

Top Bottom