Is It Too Late To Start Seed Outdoor In Norcal?

• Thread starter mantisclaw
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
AMAUULU

AMAUULU

Many thanks,SEAMAIDEN . I live in NorCal (west of SF). Through ignorance, I lost two Critical (reg fem) seedlings in my initial first crop (outdoors), so I replaced my loss with two Kaya Gold (regular fem). The seeds were planted on July 17.

NO TRANSPLANT POT-WITHIN-A-POT planting method:
I used the no-transplant "Pot within A Pot" method, using Root Riot Plugs, 5-inch net pots and 10 gallon air rooting pot I made myself out of two 10 gal sized Dollar Store laundry baskets interlined with porous landscaping fabric. On July 17, each seed was presoaked in powdered AZOS thick solution for 6 hours until the seed sank. Then, using tweezers, the soaked seed was placed, pointy end up in the pre-made hole in a Root Riot Plug which I had thoroughly inoculated with mycorrhizal powder (inside the seed hole and coated entirely on the outside of the plug). This Root Riot Plug with its seed was then placed within a 5-inch diam x 5-inch tall net pot filled with the growing medium. The filled net pot is then placed within the final 10-gal pot. I placed the 10-gallon pots containing the seeds in a securely fenced-in area.

Both Kaya Gold seedlings broke through the surface of the growing medium on July 21. Today (July 23) both seedlings have their second set of baby leaves.

ORGANIC SOILLESS MIX RECIPE for one cubic foot growing medium, using a 3-quart saucepan to measure a Part:
--6 parts Fox Farms Ocean Forest
--2 parts Earth Worm Castings
--2 parts Aeration (consisting of a mixture of 1 part Volcanic Pumice + 1/2 part Rice Hulls + 1/2 part coarsely ground Biochar (I do not like Perlite)
--1 Cup Powdered Dolomitic Lime for Lawn & Garden
Mix all ingredients very thoroughly, especially the powdered dolomitic lime.

KEEP-IT-SIMPLE-FEEDING Because I Am An Ignorant Total Newbie:
12 days after July 23, I will begin feeding them Seaweed and Fish liquid fertilizers until harvest, which I hope will be in late October or early November.
--Veg phase using 5-1-1 fish emulsion + 0-0-1 seaweed liquid.
--Early flowering phase using 2-3-1 seaweed-fish liquid.
--Blooming to later flowering phase using 2-4-1 fish-seaweed liquid.

FIM & LST TRAINING:
Kaya Gold apparently can grow rather tall and large. I want to keep my plants from being visible to passersby. I am hoping the root pruning action of my homemade 10-gallon air pots will contribute to stunting that growth. As well, I also will experiment with the FIM-method plus LST with gentle tie downs. I use Bernat heavyweight baby blanket yarn instead of 12" pipe cleaners because yarn is easier to work with and, IMO, is much gentler on the plants. Any arts and crafts store sells yarn (especially thick yarn for baby afghan blankets). You may have to look elsewhere (online) for 12" long pipe cleaners if you want to use them (I bought a package of 100 x 12" long pipe cleaners for about $5.00).

My purpose in growing is to have enough plant material to make medicinal oils, ointments, salves, lotions for us and our pets. At $50 + 15% tax per ounce of therapeutic oil from the MJ dispensary, our age-related medical needs as well as those of our aging giant breed and large breed dogs, large horse, and cats, would be excessively expensive. None of us smoke or vape.

S

Slothh760

You got about a month or so left of veg get those seeds going asap. But u got enough time once it hits preflower your plants will nearly double in size as well

Latest posts

Top Bottom