is ph a big factor in soil

• Thread starter trusmoker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

trusmoker

im quite new to growing with ph pens an such only done about 5 years of growing indoor but my big question is when growing in a top quailty soil with good nutes an only feeding every 3rd day is ph a problem ?
in the past id just do a mix of nutes let it stand for half hour or so then water the plants with no burning or bud that smells like hay when dried so i started ph'ing my water/nutes b4 watering an nothing as really changed so is ph only a hydro problem unless u have no clue wot ur doing with soil
peace ts

half baked

half baked

it all depends if your running organic nutes or not, if not ph'ing you res is necessary because your plant takes nutes up at different ph levels, go organic bro and forget that pen lol

peace hb

T

trusmoker

yeah like i sed i grew for years with no pens and no problems maybe i was lucking lol but im defo turning organics soon bro

C

c4NN4daze

Lost of loaded guns in this day and age, don't get me wrong , i'm not that old but hell! Simple works with our beloved plant. Think simple and efficient and imply that to your garden. This will work better and better with trial and error! I promise!

Word,
CD!!!!!!

S

SSHZ

Yes, it always matters. Just less in soil than in hydro.

Also, if you're pH is inline and correct- then when you have problems, it easier to eliminate that as the problem. Most people, when problems arise, claim it's a pH problem, which may or may not be the cause. With pH ok, it's easier to identify what might be going on......

phenotyper

phenotyper

I absolutely believe that phing soil matters. Sure, most soil has a decent buffer in it to help with stabalizing the PH, however, the difference between almost correct PH and spot on PH can be drastic in a plants life.

Let me give you an example. I am about to harvest a Querkle plant that had PH problems which I must have missed when checking runoff during prime budding. As a result? I have smaller purple buds with absolutely trichome covered leaves, but the messed up PH caused Phosphorous and Potassium to be less than available causing my plant to not reach its fill potential. I always aim for a PH range. Soil 6.2-6.5 (drift), hydro/soilless (5.4-5.8).

If you don't check PH and PPM you are just guessing.

R

robz

I absolutely believe that phing soil matters. Sure, most soil has a decent buffer in it to help with stabalizing the PH, however, the difference between almost correct PH and spot on PH can be drastic in a plants life.

Let me give you an example. I am about to harvest a Querkle plant that had PH problems which I must have missed when checking runoff during prime budding. As a result? I have smaller purple buds with absolutely trichome covered leaves, but the messed up PH caused Phosphorous and Potassium to be less than available causing my plant to not reach its fill potential. I always aim for a PH range. Soil 6.2-6.5 (drift), hydro/soilless (5.4-5.8).

If you don't check PH and PPM you are just guessing.
I'm in soil FFOF and couldn't agree more. I Ph every time they get water. Input 6.5 output is usually around 6.8

Blaze

Blaze

Of course pH is important with soil. Your pH determines ALL nutrients interactions, it must be kept within the proper range regardless of growing medium or style. Not needing to watch your pH when growing organic or when growing in soil is a huge misconception. I have see MANY organic growers screw up their pH, it can and does happen.

S

smokestack23

pH is just as important as the nutes ...probably even moreso. You can get good results with "crappy" nutes..say..micro-gro 20-20-20 or something..just for example.. if your pH is good but you'll have a very hard time getting good results with the very best (most expensive?) nurtients if your pH is out of whack.

You probably had nicely buffered and neutral medium with water that was also "nice".?

T

trusmoker

thanks alot guys never think about ph hardly until there a problem lol but then mainl 2 late

B

bobman

I have come to the conclusion ph is over hyped in soil. It depends on what you add and how balanced it is but if you start with a solid stable soil you really should not have a ph problem. All you have to do is keep your water in a good wide range. Now before everybody jumps down my throat let me explain. I constantly see new growers having problems with plants. And the first thing everybody tells them is it their ph and to start adding this or that. But every time the real problem is they do not know how to water properly and there is a mud ball in the middle of their pot and their roots are suffocating. This looks just like a ph problem and these poor growers start adding this or that and just chasing their tails when in fact all they have to do is learn to water properly. So is ph a big deal in soil? No I do not believe it is a big deal for the average grower or at least not a cause of many problems that it is often associated with.

C

c4NN4daze

Remember too, the quality of your soil choice will show near the end of flower! Change it up, see what you like and what works for you.

CD

Top Bottom