Is Pre-harvest Flushing A Myth?

• Thread starter Pimp T
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

I don't know about the scientific report. I have Veged under both personally and found that metal halide produces a much fuller canopy and basically just overall healthier plants. this was done out of necessity and lack of money for proper equipment. I'm not saying you are wrong. just wondering if the bulb in the study was some type of full spectrum HPS?
probly hortilux super hps...they are full spectrum, just higher in the red...but the spectrum is very similar to gavita and the philips bulb, they just have a broader spectrum rather than peaks, other than thats the spectrum is almost the same

its all ive ever used, they kill my mh bulbs..

organix4207

organix4207

probly hortilux super hps...they are full spectrum, just higher in the red...but the spectrum is very similar to gavita and the philips bulb, they just have a broader spectrum rather than peaks, other than thats the spectrum is almost the same

its all ive ever used, they kill my mh bulbs..
Good to know
I'm using philips ceramic mh atm and have had good luck. I'll have to do a little more research on the subject. The learning never stops !!!

F

FooDoo

it never does, and thats the key, never close your mind to learning something new

Amen. The no flush I'm literally learning right now as this grow is going and it was credited to this thread and you guys. The hps veg will be learned in a few weeks when the next batch of clones goes in and that's also credited to someone making a thread about it and posting the scientific study. I started growing in 2002 and only now thru studies and facts am I really stepping my game up and getting into my prime. Just because someone does something wrong/half right for a long time doesn't make it right. Yea I had results for all those years but now things are out of this world.

RalloD.Eno

RalloD.Eno

what makes you and the guy you asked , think flushing means that the water is going into the plant like a hose and flushing nutrients out the other end?

flushing is just the act of removing excess minerals from the media in order for the plant to use up it's internal food stores and ripen.

and yes flushing is a good idea, but i've found there seems to be a point where it's detrimental to the overall smell and taste of the dried cured buds and how they burn. after you do your flush wait till you see the nitrogen being used up on the largest fanleaves before chopping. so after i flush i watch till all the major fanleaves are yellow and when they start to fall off i chop. when i waited too long past that point till all the majors fell off on their own the flavor was bland and the ash was black even after drying and curing a month. there seems to be a change in the terpenes too. when the leaves are all yellowed the terpenes seem to be at their peak, past that point they fade significantly.

MJ Indicator

MJ Indicator

White ash indicates a healthy phosphorus uptake, darker ash high in magnesium. The mention of sulphur is also relative to coloration and behaviour of carbons burning off. If you are in soil and using bottled nutrient, "flushing" is just nomenclature for watering without added nutrient. To debate whether or not the plant requires sugars, aminos, nutrient etc beyond senescence is awkward.

The analog: why would we foliar feed leaves that are yellowed brittle near harvest?

F

FooDoo

Earlier in this thread I posted that I would always flush for a visual appeal to get fall colors.

Thanks to this thread, I stopped that stupid practice.

Here is my current triangle kush x bubba grow last day of week 9. Been feeding the entire time. Seems they flushed themselves anyway because I got fantastic color on them

DSC 0015

DSC 0017

I will never flush again

Last edited:
DrFever

DrFever

I never understood why on earth would a person starve there plants at the most crucial time , when plants are packing on the weight ????TBH with probably 75 percent of growers cannot dry properly lol seriously ..
When you actually look into the science of soils what are we really doing by flushing ??

Flushing is used as a last resort in correcting issues for either salt build up , ph issues and so on , we spent week months trying to keep a plant totally healthy and fight even more to keep it as green as possible during late stages its proven fact that a healthy plant will not only yield, you more but also give you more THC .
this myth came about i think as MJ falls into the annual species dieing off every year ,, or how trees yellow off so it came about that we need to stop feeding our plants and the yellowing is normal hahaha ..
what a bunch of crap folks seriously .. there are reasons why trees stop feeding...... leafs and that is to conserve energy for the cold winter months unlike MJ we need them leafs to stay green so it can still photosynthesis and produce best possible fruit set... right up to the end
And the drying and curing becomes the key to quality and end results
But now lets talk about soils when were in bloom stage we use less N and more P to break this down N is easiest to leach where as phosphate is immobile there for leaching is negligible see what i am getting at here ??? all your doing is flushing your money down the toilet ...
Common practice is reaching top ppm and slowly lowering it 450 - 600 on chop day
most foods we eat have NPK its what keeps you alive ..
But i am not here to tell you how you wanna grow do what ever makes you happy keep her green

Dscf4437a

420 lyfePpP

420 lyfePpP

Beating a dead horse. Some people flush. Others don't. Who cares. "What you eat don't make me shit"

I'm in dwc so I like to flush to get all the pretty colors into my leaves before I harvest. Nothing science or pseudo science about it. Just a personal visual appeal to me.

I don't know, but my guess would be that black or gray ash and good flavor vs chem flavor has more to do with proper drying and curing.

Just my 2 non scientific cents
its funny, the guy i learned form, is a proffessional commercial cropper that has had over 20 houses with 16-22 lights per house since 1987..he once gave me his recipe(close family friend) that he apparently paid 100k for back in the day...the basics of it were; feed every feeding, never flush feed until the end, and always use hps, and co2 between 900-1200 never higher...much more details, but thats the basics of what he told me..seems to still work well, ive tried other way, but to be honest that method produces the nicer healthier plants that yield more

now i realize paying 100k for someones "grow recipe" seems very nuts...but back then weed was expansive compared to now, lol...and last time i remember talking to him(been a few years) he owned his own island in the Caribbean, and had over 400k in his 3 month olds bank account for when he grows up...i guess when you got so much money you dont care to waste some
Nice . Hey man if it ain't broke why fix it?☺ 1000k seems like a small price for perfection !!! Wish I had my own island .... get on tree growin lol

420 lyfePpP

420 lyfePpP

I never understood why on earth would a person starve there plants at the most crucial time , when plants are packing on the weight ????TBH with probably 75 percent of growers cannot dry properly lol seriously ..
When you actually look into the science of soils what are we really doing by flushing ??

Flushing is used as a last resort in correcting issues for either salt build up , ph issues and so on , we spent week months trying to keep a plant totally healthy and fight even more to keep it as green as possible during late stages its proven fact that a healthy plant will not only yield, you more but also give you more THC .
this myth came about i think as MJ falls into the annual species dieing off every year ,, or how trees yellow off so it came about that we need to stop feeding our plants and the yellowing is normal hahaha ..
what a bunch of crap folks seriously .. there are reasons why trees stop feeding...... leafs and that is to conserve energy for the cold winter months unlike MJ we need them leafs to stay green so it can still photosynthesis and produce best possible fruit set... right up to the end
And the drying and curing becomes the key to quality and end results
But now lets talk about soils when were in bloom stage we use less N and more P to break this down N is easiest to leach where as phosphate is immobile there for leaching is negligible see what i am getting at here ??? all your doing is flushing your money down the toilet ...
Common practice is reaching top ppm and slowly lowering it 450 - 600 on chop day
most foods we eat have NPK its what keeps you alive ..
But i am not here to tell you how you wanna grow do what ever makes you happy keep her green

View attachment 520391
Well good read and thanks for the knowledge cus my ladies are my life . I was told you gotta flush . And so on . I've tried to grow with nutes and without . I try too keep it simple. And I pretty much have my own style . But want too learn . Trial and error. Keep burning the ladies and I cut my feed in half at first and just a matter of time till I start to try a natural tea . Keep it green PpP peace and good vibes

Limonene

Limonene

Great thread that backs up some paractices that I've experimented with recently. Very interesting reading.

stanklungs

stanklungs

Thought I'd share my .02 cents. I'm definitely not an organic grower lol and this past run I feed all the way through. Usually I give a 2 to 3 week flush depending on how heavy I'm goin.
However this time I was sitting there doing a little cloning. When I clone I do a 24hr soak of my cuttings so they can swell with water. Then I thought why not do try this with a plant before harvest.
So I went out got a bunch of 1 dollar gallon distilled Poland spring jugs, and tried it.
Could be a placebo but it seemed to work nicely. Might be as bold to sayven they enjoyed it. Without the soil and roots in the way the plants sucked up the water and seemed to get an actual flush.
I got ancy and smoked a bud before it cured was barely dry and it burnt the whitest white and even had a little flavor.
Like I said I tried it for shits and giggles but got good results. Figured we do it with other cut flowers.
Try it with a plant if this catches your curiosity and let me know what you think.

Top Bottom