is THC the same through strains

• Thread starter lvstealth
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
i understand that each strain has its own unique aspects that make it different. they have notable differing affects. i can see it, feel it, smell it and taste it.

so my question is:
is the THC in one strain the same chemical as all strains.

if i grab only THC from any plant will it be the same THC as others? not the same amount, but identical - so you cant tell what plant it came from if it is only THC. under the microscope

the theory on this is that all the other cannabinoids (not sure if that is the right term, but other components of the cannabis plant) come together to give each strain its differing "benefits".

is there any DNA sequencing on Cannabis? i find a few things here and there, but nothing indicating they have even looked at it much. i mean... we have a complete sequence on the neanderthal, pot has to be easier than that!

i would think someone would see the potential monetary return if you could CRISPR cannabis!!! that would make it easier to isolate the different components and see which does what. at this point, it seems there is nothing on pot, pretty much world wide. i find that odd. i could see how the USA got hoodwinked, but there are almost 200 countries - how can they all accept cannabis as "bad" with no scientific data?

im actually asking because of the QWISO. i tend to save all trim/larf together and make QWISO. from what i read, QWISO doesnt grab the other cannabinoids, just thc (in any of its states). not sure if that is right, i can make a batch that seems better than another. if it were just THC, and if all THC is the same THC all qwiso should be the same.

any good research youve stumbled across would be appreciated.

Poekie

Poekie

Supporter
i understand that each strain has its own unique aspects that make it different. they have notable differing affects. i can see it, feel it, smell it and taste it.

so my question is:

if i grab only THC from any plant will it be the same THC as others? not the same amount, but identical - so you cant tell what plant it came from if it is only THC. under the microscope

the theory on this is that all the other cannabinoids (not sure if that is the right term, but other components of the cannabis plant) come together to give each strain its differing "benefits".

is there any DNA sequencing on Cannabis? i find a few things here and there, but nothing indicating they have even looked at it much. i mean... we have a complete sequence on the neanderthal, pot has to be easier than that!

i would think someone would see the potential monetary return if you could CRISPR cannabis!!! that would make it easier to isolate the different components and see which does what. at this point, it seems there is nothing on pot, pretty much world wide. i find that odd. i could see how the USA got hoodwinked, but there are almost 200 countries - how can they all accept cannabis as "bad" with no scientific data?

im actually asking because of the QWISO. i tend to save all trim/larf together and make QWISO. from what i read, QWISO doesnt grab the other cannabinoids, just thc (in any of its states). not sure if that is right, i can make a batch that seems better than another. if it were just THC, and if all THC is the same THC all qwiso should be the same.

Thc is Thc, doesnt matter from which plant.
The 100 or so cannabinoids together will be responsible for the difference in effect, and also terpenes have their effect.
Its not true that with an extraction like Qwiso you only get Thc.
You extract all the cannabinoids available in the resin, for isolating Thc you would need a lab.
Hope that helps.

TSD

TSD

I think yes, it's a molecule with a molecular formula, so like any molecule, if that formula changes, it's not THC anymore, it's something else. Where are our scientific minded members? They'll sort this out lol.
Istockphoto 1128471485 612x612

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

so my question is:

Yes, it's the same THC.
Yes, the genome has been studied. I don't know about complete sequencing.
I'm sure there will be GMO cannabis.
Cannabis is still illegal in most countries, including those that do most of the science. There are legal barriers to scientific research.

Have you used Google Scholar?

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

No, indica strains tend to have higher thc but there are exceptions, I usually grow strains 20%+ thc. Some or rather a few strains break the 30% mark, real purple kush is close to 30% depending on breeder. See pics

20180501 142954
20210713 094231
detroitjoe

detroitjoe

I say absolutely not.

Light sources have different radition.
The dna of a plant grown in the sun is different than say hps/mh or LED

vancoast_ca

vancoast_ca

This is really a good question. I tried searching it online and I haven't got a perfect answer. But in my opinion with this, probably it's the same THC chemical but maybe just different in THC level.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

This is really a good question. I tried searching it online and I haven't got a perfect answer. But in my opinion with this, probably it's the same THC chemical but maybe just different in THC level.
This is correct. Delta 9 THC is delta 9 THC, no matter what plant. But there are many cannabinoids in varying quantities in each strain/cross, along with varying amounts of terpenes and other constituents.

Surely you've heard of THC-a, CBD, CBD-a delta 8 THC, CBC, CBG, CBblahblahblah. Those are the chemical variations on the THC theme. I think something like 30 have been discovered, there could easily be more.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
so the alcohol strips the other cannabinoids along with THC, right? and you get a QWISO goo with THC and whatever cannabanoids are there?

heat decarbs the THC, but heat destroys many of the other cannabanoids is there any scale, or chart or anything with the 400 plus cannabanoids listed? what or if they turn into something else as does thc when decarbed? i know 400 is a lot, but even 10 of them? or 3?, lol. i cant find any real data. i see a lot of people doing a lot of things and thinking what they think, id just like to see numbers and data.

Yes, it's the same THC.
Yes, the genome has been studied. I don't know about complete sequencing.
I'm sure there will be GMO cannabis.
Cannabis is still illegal in most countries, including those that do most of the science. There are legal barriers to scientific research.

Have you used Google Scholar?
the genome to a very minor extent has been looked at. they can see in the DNA what our common ancestor is, that it is about 28 million yo and that it was influenced (and the guess is by humans) by intention as far back as 4k ya; but no real sequencing. they can tell plant gender, but funnily enough, just at that moment. a cannabis can change, not just throw some boy parts, but actually become boy and shows in its dna! again, this is not studied in real science, but it is studied!

if they had any sequences, the legal industry would have to genetically verify a strain is different enough to have a new name. as it stands now, you can name anything you want any name you want. it is demand driven naming.

i live by google scholar (and lots like it)! i find a few things in some Canadian Studies, and a few things coming out of some WA universities. WA is getting around some of the "cant study weed" laws by allowing students to do thesis on it. it is a technicality, since students are not licensed and can grow and smoke, so they can study it. but any college who gets federal money has some issue or another.

there is some uni in Mississippi that is allowed to keep some for study; but most say it is lacking in quality, cure, or drying considerations. it has to be ground up too, supposedly! so the US sucks, i get that, but how did it grow to world wide?!! youd think some country who loves liquor and grows coffee would add this drug to their list!

i can read lots about other plants and basic types and such, but cannabis is just not what it should be. other plants they know most of what there is to know, but some doesnt translate to weed. most studies want to show how bad weed is, so they dont test for any benefits.

I say absolutely not.

Light sources have different radition.
The dna of a plant grown in the sun is different than say hps/mh or LED

DNA isnt really like that. DNA doesnt change with light source.

sun helps make more/fewer of the trichomes and the strain is what makes the flavanoids and terpines (other cannabanoids) each plant has.

the thc is 1 of a gazillion other cannabanoids.
if trichs turn amber the thc is replaced with cbn. so you could have a low measured THC % and get higher than ... high things.

they know thc is not the be all of pot but they dont know much else. yet, that is all they test to/for.
No, indica strains tend to have higher thc but there are exceptions, I usually grow strains 20%+ thc. Some or rather a few strains break the 30% mark, real purple kush is close to 30% depending on breeder. See pics

that is not what i was trying to ask, 20% or 30% if it is a percent of something (THC) then the something (THC), if stripped off the rest of the plant would be the exact same molecular makeup as any other TCH anywhere. which would mean the determining factor of "highness" is not TCH but the other cannabanoids and probably in what order and amount.

as to 20 or 30%, when? depending on time of harvest, the trichs could be amber, a low thc but high cbn and it could be "better than sex" for some looking for that high.

i guess one issue is that everything is based on one of a gazillion things that could be the real "thing".

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

the genome to a very minor extent has been looked at. they can see in the DNA what our common ancestor is, that it is about 28 million yo and that it was influenced (and the guess is by humans) by intention as far back as 4k ya; but no real sequencing. they can tell plant gender, but funnily enough, just at that moment. a cannabis can change, not just throw some boy parts, but actually become boy and shows in its dna! again, this is not studied in real science, but it is studied!

if they had any sequences, the legal industry would have to genetically verify a strain is different enough to have a new name. as it stands now, you can name anything you want any name you want. it is demand driven naming.

i live by google scholar (and lots like it)! i find a few things in some Canadian Studies, and a few things coming out of some WA universities. WA is getting around some of the "cant study weed" laws by allowing students to do thesis on it. it is a technicality, since students are not licensed and can grow and smoke, so they can study it. but any college who gets federal money has some issue or another.

there is some uni in Mississippi that is allowed to keep some for study; but most say it is lacking in quality, cure, or drying considerations. it has to be ground up too, supposedly! so the US sucks, i get that, but how did it grow to world wide?!! youd think some country who loves liquor and grows coffee would add this drug to their list!

i can read lots about other plants and basic types and such, but cannabis is just not what it should be. other plants they know most of what there is to know, but some doesnt translate to weed. most studies want to show how bad weed is, so they dont test for any benefits.
You have to understand the power the US has had in forcing other countries to keep Cannabis illegal, and to interfere with research.

Research costs money and canna industries still can't even use a bank. Universities can't research it without jumping through hoops, and no researchers are interested in using the bogus shit they grow in that Mississippi facility (which is still the required source for material). It's no surprise to me that the genome hasn't been fully sequenced. Remove these artificial obstacles and the research money will be flowing.

Top Bottom