Is this a Magnesium deficiency?

• Thread starter luxeluxe99
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Looks like a combination nutrient build up and to much light. Do you have a zoomed out pic if the setup before you moved your light?

Does not look over watered to me

luxeluxe99

luxeluxe99

Looks like a combination nutrient build up and to much light. Do you have a zoomed out pic if the setup before you moved your light?

Does not look over watered to me

Yeah, I had an issue with the light, it was burning my leaves, i will find a pic before. And what should i do about too much nutes feeding. Just feed lighter? Will it get everything it needs?It makes sense, i had something that someone mentioned salt build up, so i looked online and it looked similar to these irridescent tiny bits on my leaves.

Shoot, looked around for said photo, not finding it. Best I can find is this one from a couple of weeks ago

since then I added an oscillating tower fan, raised the light 8 inches and dimmed it from 3/4 to less than half of the 125qb light)

28C0D823 E102 45CE AEDE 5F9B94C23DB9
Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Think @oldskol4evr and @Jimster have ya covered. The leaves are darkening because it starting to uptake nutrients again (a good thing) but as suggested I would lower your ppm especially for plants that young. If your ppm is still high coming out you may want to flush again and do a light feed.

As far as overwatering I would not be concerned one bit in coco.

I'm no coco grower but a plant that size I would think 2-300 should be plenty.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Think @oldskol4evr and @Jimster have ya covered. The leaves are darkening because it starting to uptake nutrients again (a good thing) but as suggested I would lower your ppm especially for plants that young. If your ppm is still high coming out you may want to flush again and do a light feed.

As far as overwatering I would not be concerned one bit in coco.

I'm no coco grower but a plant that size I would think 2-300 should be plenty.
The plant s pretty small to be needing much nutrients at all. A plant that size can live off of a single feeding for a month or more. Once they get larger they use a LOT more nutrients, but at this point, they are just taking up space and possibly being overfed or locked out. When I first saw this post I thought that the plants were a few ft tall and growing robustly. The small size changes things considerably. Everyone here has given good advice. I grow in Promix and not Coco, so I can't give you 1st hand advice with Coco growing, but with Promix, I water daily or every other day as needed, and feed every 2 weeks after they get roots coming out the bottom of a 5 or 6 gallon bucket, usually a month.
In any event, it looks like you have turned the corner and things are looking better. Keep up the good work, go easy on the nutes, and you should be good to go.

luxeluxe99

luxeluxe99

The plant s pretty small to be needing much nutrients at all. A plant that size can live off of a single feeding for a month or more. Once they get larger they use a LOT more nutrients, but at this point, they are just taking up space and possibly being overfed or locked out. When I first saw this post I thought that the plants were a few ft tall and growing robustly. The small size changes things considerably. Everyone here has given good advice. I grow in Promix and not Coco, so I can't give you 1st hand advice with Coco growing, but with Promix, I water daily or every other day as needed, and feed every 2 weeks after they get roots coming out the bottom of a 5 or 6 gallon bucket, usually a month.
In any event, it looks like you have turned the corner and things are looking better. Keep up the good work, go easy on the nutes, and you should be good to go.

Everything Iā€™ve read says fertigate in Coco daily and soonafter it gets its first leaves.

this is where she is last week, that was an old pic. Poor girl and her leaf burns. But her new growth isn't burnt, just those darkened tips.

But i think it *is* over fert, maybe i should have kept to my 1/4 feed. Dialing it back now. Poor girl was putting out 700ppm water after a 400ppm fertigation. But that's an improvement over 2 days ago when she had a 200ppm feed and it came out 750ppm

Thanks all. : )

22A496C3 3EB2 4234 A5B7 7D012C438117
7E7A7965 FB3B 4782 B222 B992C3469EF7
Last edited:
m8ty

m8ty

I have but in coco coir it shouldn't be an issue, or so I've read. Although i did wonder that because the soil is always so wet.
ā€¾\_(惄)_/ā€¾
If you're growing in media (Coco media) why do you water when it doesn't need to be watered?

When growing in media filled pots you want to use the right size pot and water once a week when the pot feels light and not heavy with water when you lift it to prevent over watering, roots don't like to be wet all the time they need their dry cycle.

Last edited:
cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Coco can def be hit a lot without worries. Daily. But not till the root zone is established. I usually wait till the 2nd week before i start going ham on watering like that. If you don't you can get root rot or just a lazy root system like you are seeing. You can def water more but even In 1 gals the first week i might water twice after transplant.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

If you're growing in media (Coco media) why do you water when it doesn't need to be watered?

When growing in media filled pots you want to use the right size pot and water once a week to prevent over watering, roots don't like to be wet all the time they need their dry cycle.
Not in coco and roots don't need a dry cycle. They need water nutrients and oxygen. Look at hydro for example. Not all mediums have the same needs

m8ty

m8ty

Roots that are always wet in media have problems like slow growth, root damage that looks like deficiencies, plants that beanstalk and have no branching even gnats.

Just because Coco can't be overwatered you shouldn't try to, plus why do you wanna replace the water nutrients solution before the plants have a chance to absorb it all, it's gonna take a month for that plant to eat all of the ppm and people keep feeding her twice a day? Just seems like a waste of nutrients and a bunch of unnecessary over watering?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
When growing in media filled pots you want to use the right size pot and water once a week when the pot feels light and not heavy with water when you lift it to prevent over watering, roots don't like to be wet all the time they need their dry cycle.
Using Promix, it is my experience that the media doesn't like to be dried out to the point that the plant shows signs of water deprivation, but they do enjoy a damp media. Roots love damp conditions with plenty of O2 available. If you can squeeze more than a few drops of your media in between waterings, then you might be using to much water, but Coco and Promix are pretty resistant to that due to their water shedding properties. I use 5 or 6 gallon buckets and the water dynamics are much different than smaller containers, which dry out much faster.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Roots that are always wet in media have problems like slow growth, root damage that looks like deficiencies, plants that beanstalk and have no branching even gnats.

Just because Coco can't be overwatered you shouldn't try to, plus why do you wanna replace the water nutrients solution before the plants have a chance to absorb it all, it's gonna take a month for that plant to eat all of the ppm and people keep feeding her twice a day? Just seems like a waste of nutrients and a bunch of unnecessary over watering?

Because coco isn't soil. It's a soilless hydroponic medium. Twice is on the low end. I'm usually at 4 or more by the end of flower. Not to mention not to many people use pure coco. It's mostly cut with a lot of perlite. Wet coco still has a ton of air to the roots unlike soil.

That's a pretty general statement based on not knowing pot size or plant size. A 200 gal pot of coco is going to be way different then a 1 gal pot.

You aren't overwatering (but you can) by feeding them daily. You are keeping a constant pH/feed in the root zone since when coco dries out the pH and ppm start going haywire, like most hydroponic mediums. It's about managing the medium since you aren't using something like lime to buffer pH and N uptake will effect medium PH.

If the worry is about saving nutes and not wasting them and water then coco should never be your choice in the first place unless it's in a monsterous pot. Kind of goes against everything the medium is tuned for. You would be better off in wool.

m8ty

m8ty

Because coco isn't soil. It's a soilless hydroponic medium. Twice is on the low end. I'm usually at 4 or more by the end of flower. Not to mention not to many people use pure coco. It's mostly cut with a lot of perlite. Wet coco still has a ton of air to the roots unlike soil.

That's a pretty general statement based on not knowing pot size or plant size. A 200 gal pot of coco is going to be way different then a 1 gal pot.

You aren't overwatering (but you can) by feeding them daily. You are keeping a constant pH/feed in the root zone since when coco dries out the pH and ppm start going haywire, like most hydroponic mediums. It's about managing the medium since you aren't using something like lime to buffer pH and N uptake will effect medium PH.

If the worry is about saving nutes and not wasting them and water then coco should never be your choice in the first place unless it's in a monsterous pot. Kind of goes against everything the medium is tuned for. You would be better off in wool.

The idea is the plant roots don't like to be sitting in wet media all the time, and the plant can only absorb so many PPM per week , anything more like watering and feeding the plant four times a day is just a waste of nutrients and a bunch of over watering .. who cares what the coco media can or can't do ?? so i can feed and water the coco media four times a day but the plant only eats X amount of PPMs per week, all the rest goes to waste ...

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

The idea is the plant roots don't like to be sitting wet all the time and the plant can only absorb so many PPM per week , anything more like watering and feeding the plant four times a day is just a waste of nutrients and a bunch of over watering .. who cares what the coco can or can't do ?? so i can feed the coco four times a day but the plant only eats X amount of PPMs per week, all the rest goes to waste ...
Have you grown in coco or hydroponics? I'm just curious because Ina previous post you stated you weight the pots and water once a week. That's a totally different principle for a totally different style of grow. Generally coco is drain to waste and yes it seems wasteful because it is and is intended to be. It's about increasing growth rates at the cost of wastefulness.

Roots don't give 2 shits about being wet, they actually like it. They care about available nutrients, water and oxygen. Look at full hydroponics for example.

Now comparing to soil as I think you are. In soil to much water to often is held by the soil and does not allow adequate oxygen levels for the roots. You can't apply the same logic to soilless. It's just not the same.

m8ty

m8ty

coco is media
Have you grown in coco or hydroponics? I'm just curious because Ina previous post you stated you weight the pots and water once a week. That's a totally different principle for a totally different style of grow. Generally coco is drain to waste and yes it seems wasteful because it is and is intended to be. It's about increasing growth rates at the cost of wastefulness.

Roots don't give 2 shits about being wet, they actually like it. They care about available nutrients, water and oxygen. Look at full hydroponics for example.

Now comparing to soil as I think you are. In soil to much water to often is held by the soil and does not allow adequate oxygen levels for the roots. You can't apply the same logic to soilless. It's just not the same.
Coco is Media

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

coco is media

Coco is Media
Ok so my hydroton is media. Do I water my plants in hydro once a week?

Dude I understand you know what you have experience with and it makes sense to you because you have seen it. Different media requires different care I don't know how else to say it. Not all media works the same.

So no media is not media

Latest posts

Top Bottom