Is this Clawing?

• Thread starter Widowmaker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Widowmaker

Widowmaker

Soil Grow:
1. Are you growing from seed or clones? White Widow Clones by Oaksterdam
2. How old are your plants? Cloned 11/10/09, purchased 11/20, planted in soil and watered on 11/25
3. How tall are your plants? ~10”
4. What size containers are they planted in? Almost 2 Gals.
5. What is your soil mix? Happy Frog 2 cubic ft. & sand .5 cubic ft. mixed together.
6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use? Every 5 or 6 days with Tap water
7. What is the pH of your water? 7
8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio? On 12/1/09 one pint water mixed with Miracle-Gro All Purpose 24-8-16 on each plant. The Miracle-Gro was meant to be at 1/3 strength, but was full strength. On 12/12 Super Thrive and Miracle-Gro.
9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything? Distilled water every other day.
10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights") T5 HO 4’ 54watt 6500K 4-Lamp fixture.
11. How close are your lights to the plants? ~2”
12. What size is your grow space in square feet? 100 sq ft
13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space? 85 deg. 50% R/H to 71 deg. 17% R/H
14. What is the pH of the soil? 7
15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space? No bugs yet!
16. How much experience do you have growing? First time, but thinking about it for 25 Yrs.
Six plants, 3 plants look good. 3 have leaves that, the stem or main vein of the leaf curves down but the two sides of the leaf turns up and puckering, some leaves are getting yellow. Should I flush them? Any suggestions?

View attachment 58074

View attachment 58075

View attachment 58076
This 1 of the good plants. Much bigger leaves, all plants about the same height.
:sign0065:

C

chranotik

i would flush, and get better nutrients, looks like salts causing a nute lockout.

Widowmaker

Widowmaker

Thanks MY Brother, should go to bed but I can't leave my girls this way!!

R

Rolln J

yeah you freaked them the hell out with full strength miracle grow - do not use that shit on pot - almost looks like you have a ph and maybe over watering issue...

first thing id do is flush out the miracle grow and get an ez 2 part nute regimen

Widowmaker

Widowmaker

When should I add Nutes?

After flushing, do I let the soil dry before adding any nutes? That would be about a week.

Can I add vitamins -hormones (SUPERthrive) right after the flush?

Many thanks!!

:animbong:

true grit

true grit

Soil I would try and get that ph a bit lower...I don't go below 5.8 and not above 6.3... things are usually pretty healthy.. I agree with rollin j- ditch the miracle grow and get some decent nutes. For $30-$40 you can get good shit for soil, bloom and veg...

shamus dolan

shamus dolan

Breeder
Supporter
after flushing,let them dry out for a couple. you will be able to tell just by lifting them up when they need a drink,and if your going to move them to a larger container which it looks like you could,then would be a good time to give them a drink with a half strength nute solution.then go back to a normal feeding regiment...........

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

I always feed at half strength, and honestly even a little less. I think you should use superthrive after the flush to help the plant adjust to the stress, but yeah no miracle grow. If you live somewhere that buying nutes is difficult, I would suggest calling one of the thousands of stores in cali, oregon, washington, montana, colorada, etc. to send you some good shit. weed really needs little nutes, so be careful when applying.

true grit

true grit

FWIW, if you were to use FFOF or Roots, or other hot soils I'm sure, you probably wouldn't have to even feed in veg if you stay on top of transplants.

C

chickenn

no need to mist plants that large.

ph is too high, and is causing a nutrient lock out. shoot for 6.3 would be best.

i would ph some water to 6.3 and do at least one good flush, and get the ph lower, and the MG out of the pot if switching nute regimen.

MG does not play well with organic mixes. flush good before changing.

S

Scythe

Cut off leaves when they get 50% damaged. I'd leave curled leaves on, cuz they're still nice and green, but what do I know? I'm a first time grower too! My theory is that if they're less than 50% damaged, they're still doing the plant some good, and if the plant turns around, the leaves may heal up. However, if worse that 50% damaged, they're not doing the plant enough good, and the plant will waste energy trying to save them.

C

Capt. Rebel

As stated, if you can get better nutrients, do so, however if this is not an option, don't despair. MG may not be the best nutes for the job, but it will not kill your plants if used properly (sure, overuse will fry a plant, but you can kill a plant with too much water too). Full strength is a big no no, 1/3 or 1/2 strength at most, but you already know that part ;).

Also, you will need to supplement Magnesium (epsom salt @ 1 tbsp / gallon every 2nd or 3rd feeding will do nicely with MG products) to prevent Mg deficiency - a disorder characterized by yellowing between leaf veins whilst the veins remain green, starting with older growth and progressing to the newer growth.

Any MG feeding regimen is salt heavy (even at 1/4 strength w/o epsom), so you will need to keep this in maind and space out feedings to after every third or fourth plain watering to avoid major buildups, and prepare for feedings by over-watering the watering before a feeding (think of it as a mini flush) or squeezing in an extra watering cycle a few days prior to feeding.

The key to successfully using MG products is moderation. Given that the most common problem for first time farmers is overdoing things, you can see how MG gets such a bad rap. Add to this that MG products are intended to be overused as the recommended doses are lethal to major portions of the microherd (salt toxicity, the same reason MG and organics don't play well together), thereby creating a dependency on MG - as the organic food chain is broken and complex chemicals are no longer being broken down into food readily available to the plant.

Best of luck with your plants wild man,

Rebel

Widowmaker

Widowmaker

WoW!!

WOW!! Glad I found the FARM, The support is here is awesome. Thanks for all your responses. A quick update, the 3 plants that were not affected, have grown 2” in 2 days, is that possible? The poisoned plants are producing new leaves and they seem to be OK!!
My theory, I mixed the Miracle Gro in a bucket w/ water and scooped it out with a 1 pint cup. The damaged plants were feed off the bottom of the bucket where the heaver particles were or at a higher PPM. Never meant to feed them full strength, was going for 1/3 strength just read the outdoor instructions instead of indoor potted instructions. Anyway I’m sold on liquid Nutes now. Any suggestions for Nutes for soil?
:fixed:

S

Scythe

An inch a day is very possible. Even more can happen. When plants start growing this fast, it means they're done with the root formation stage and have begun vegetative growth. I figure, with good growth like that, it's an indicator that all is well. If you don't get good growth like that, then you're doing something wrong and get to figure out what it is, thereby improving your skills.

I don't know much about the difference between different fertilizer, so I just went with what the shop recommended, which was Fox Farm. There are a lot of fertilizers that are good for cannabis, however, like Technaflora, Bontanicare, Roots, Dutch Master, Vita Grow, General Hydroponics, Biobizz, American Hydroponics, Advanced Nutrients, Humbolt Nutrients, Sensi, Canna, and probably others. Some of these names are obviously hinting at what they're for. LOL.

Widowmaker

Widowmaker

Foliar feed while waiting for the soil to dry?

Think I screwed up again, Got a good meter and found my tap water is 7.5 PH. I flushed with tap water and now that some time has passed I can see that the girls are still not looking good, small leaves and light green color.

Can I foliar feed them with some Fox Farms Big Grow (6-4-4 with trace minerals)?

Because growth has slowed way down the soil is taking a lot of time to dry out. When it finally dries I'll flush with Clearex and PH adjust it down to 6. Learned enough to really be dangerous…..
Assuming that fixes the problem, will these plants fully recover? If so could they be used as mothers?
The unaffected plants have 7” long 2” wide fingers and are 16” tall (just moved them to 12 on 12 off). The sick girls are 2-3” shorter and the biggest leaves are half the size.
:worried

J

jordisgarden

looks like deffinite over watering to me. i noticed when my plants have been overwatered they get that bunched up wrinkly look rather than the flat smooth fans of a happy plant....the fact that the top leafs are hanging down and not reaching for th sky usually means overwatered. twisting leafs is a sure sign stress is happening somewhere. good luck bro

jammie

jammie

hey there- if your on a tight budget or like me just plain cheap give general hydro a call and tell them your a gardener and are interested in getting samples of their new organic nute line. they charged me $20 but i got 9 different qt bottles of all their calmag, kelp, humic acid,and biothrive vegan plant food 2 part for grow and bloom. so far my pointsetta loves the stuff.

Top Bottom