Is this Normal?

• Thread starter Cannabizz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
And honestly hermaphroditism is a natural phenomena that can be triggered one of 2 ways enviro stress and genetics of the line. You find more hermies nowadays due to the fact that most chuckers aren't breeding this trait out. Or screwed up crops and then the seeds are passed on carrying the hermie trait from having a Hermie pollinate your grow. The plants main goal is to perpetuate the species and even a stable line can sometimes produce male flowers in the ladies.

Cannabizz

Cannabizz

Thank you everyone for the information you have provided thus far! My next question is, what is the difference between a ball sack and a banana?

Wee Zard

Wee Zard

In conclusion, I feel like if you have solid genetics, every little error you make shouldn't result in a herm. They should be able to withstand whatever you can throw at them

I agree.
Spent many months trying to hermie an Ice Breaker.
Heat, light, dehydration, bad pruning, colloidal silver, etc. She was very secure in her gender.
Did this to clones for 5 generations without one nanner.
What it took to get pollen from this one was senescence. Let her flower for 15 weeks. Finally got some pollen. Made feminized seeds. The daughters are as solid as the mom was.
I have some Gainesville Green seeds that will herm at the drop of a hat.

Aloha,
Weeze

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Yea, it's weird... I have pretty limited experience growing but so far it seems like when I flip to flower, some strains just busted out the gate , either male or female all the way, but there was a strain I had that every plant seemed like it was teetering right on the edge between male and female and it needed an environmental factor to nudge it in the right direction... of course this is just my gut feeling LMAO probably all bull shit...

Do you mean you see indertiminate pre flowers? Not looking totally male or female?

They are common in feminized hybrids.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I agree.
Spent many months trying to hermie an Ice Breaker.
Heat, light, dehydration, bad pruning, colloidal silver, etc. She was very secure in her gender.
Did this to clones for 5 generations without one nanner.
What it took to get pollen from this one was senescence. Let her flower for 15 weeks. Finally got some pollen. Made feminized seeds. The daughters are as solid as the mom was.
I have some Gainesville Green seeds that will herm at the drop of a hat.

Aloha,
Weeze

At $100 and more for a few seeds every breeder should stress test like you describe every strain.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Thank you everyone for the information you have provided thus far! My next question is, what is the difference between a ball sack and a banana?

The plants in this thread have balls. Balls are actually still closed male flowers.

Nanners are what are inside the closed flowers. They look like little light green to yellow bananas. They grow right out of the buds and can be single or in bunches.

Nanners dont need to open to spread pollen but are often weak or not viable especially very late ones.

Balls are safe until the pedals open.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
The plants in this thread have balls. Balls are actually still closed male flowers.

Nanners are what are inside the closed flowers. They look like little light green to yellow bananas. They grow right out of the buds and can be single or in bunches.

Nanners dont need to open to spread pollen but are often weak or not viable especially very late ones.

Balls are safe until the pedals open.
what he said^^^^^^

Cannabizz

Cannabizz

At $100 and more for a few seeds every breeder should stress test like you describe every strain.

Absolutely. It's one thing for a commercial grower because that is over-head cost. But for the home grower, that is steep for a specimen that might exhibit hermaphroditic tendencies.

Since it is a bag seed, I am not out of any money. I am under the assumption that the other two plants I have are BIG BUD genetics. Unsure of the breeder as I got the seeds (unlabeled bag) thrown in when I bought the light and filter. Still have like twenty more of those seeds as well.

I removed all of the seed pods that I could find. They actually pop off kind of easily. Also misted the areas removed to kill any pollen.

The other two plants I have are not showing any hermaphroditic tendencies at this time and is in the same conditions as the hermie. Maybe it is just the genetics as mentioned earlier? Although I do have a few things I can think of that stressed the hermie like late veg topping (took at least 4"-6" of stem because it was exceeding height capacity. Too close to light due to being tall. I tied back some branches to get more light after I switched to 12/12. Could possibly be due to dehydration as well. Could also be from me smoking herbs inside the room the closet is in, maybe he/she doesn't like getting high on themselves, lol!

Moving forward, what should be my course of action since I have two other presumably females. I've gathered that the hermie can still pollinate the females. However, I would like to avoid making a hermie box to flower her in separately unless it is going to mess everything up.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Absolutely. It's one thing for a commercial grower because that is over-head cost. But for the home grower, that is steep for a specimen that might exhibit hermaphroditic tendencies.

Since it is a bag seed, I am not out of any money. I am under the assumption that the other two plants I have are BIG BUD genetics. Unsure of the breeder as I got the seeds (unlabeled bag) thrown in when I bought the light and filter. Still have like twenty more of those seeds as well.

I removed all of the seed pods that I could find. They actually pop off kind of easily. Also misted the areas removed to kill any pollen.

The other two plants I have are not showing any hermaphroditic tendencies at this time and is in the same conditions as the hermie. Maybe it is just the genetics as mentioned earlier? Although I do have a few things I can think of that stressed the hermie like late veg topping (took at least 4"-6" of stem because it was exceeding height capacity. Too close to light due to being tall. I tied back some branches to get more light after I switched to 12/12. Could possibly be due to dehydration as well. Could also be from me smoking herbs inside the room the closet is in, maybe he/she doesn't like getting high on themselves, lol!

Moving forward, what should be my course of action since I have two other presumably females. I've gathered that the hermie can still pollinate the females. However, I would like to avoid making a hermie box to flower her in separately unless it is going to mess everything up.

Your choice. You can watch them closely and pick off male parts unless they get too many or you can cull the plant and not worry.

Cannabizz

Cannabizz

I will keep an eye on the male parts moving forward. If it gets unbearable as you said, I will have to remove because I had an extended veg time due to getting everything in order and learning curves, so I need output to make up for that or else it will be an expensive experiment :D

I do have a tall clothing moving box that I could rig a flowering light too and separate it. Just more configuring, electricity and time.

How long do you think it will take to finish this plant and what type of yield would you guesstimate? I know that it's probably impossible without genetic info, conditions, ferts, etc; based on it's height and shape, anyone have any idea? Just trying to get an idea.

Thanks

SoLowDolo

SoLowDolo

Do you mean you see indertiminate pre flowers? Not looking totally male or female?

They are common in feminized hybrids.
Yes, I put them in the flower tent before they were showing any preflowers. And for weeks they had little nubs that looked like they were gonna be nuts and little white fuzzy spots that eventually turned into hairs. I had a thread on it at one point, and some even thought it was 100% male and it ended up being female with no nuts but I did get a couple nanners late in flower

Latest posts

Top Bottom