Is this root rot?

• Thread starter sweetgreen
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

sweetgreen

I am able to pull some of the brown roots off easily, as if they're slimy, but I'm not sure if this is root rot? There isn't really any "slime" that I can see...just the brown squishy roots.

Rez temps are 66-68. Nutes are Technaflora's "Recipe for Success" (BC Boost, BC Grow, Thrive Alive Red, Sugar Daddy, Cal-Mag) and I've added Super Thrive and SM-90.

Ideas?

Texadatimewarp 006 large
Texadatimewarp 007 large
Texadatimewarp 008 large
S

sweetgreen

Doesn't really smell like anything other than my nutes.

I've been using SM-90 for a week now, but I will try to remove as much of the brown as I can then treat with some H202...Now I have some 3% that expired a few years ago, can I just pour it into the net pot all over the roots, or even dunk the roots in a bowl of it?

Thanks

D

dank_

It looks like it. Are you sure the buckets are maintaining 68F?

osidecannabis

osidecannabis

you have root rot, 3% is what i use, but expired, i would break the bank and go get a new bottle for a dollar. i use 15ml per gallon when i have an outbreak, do a full rez change with h2o2 and ro water, no nutrients, and let that go for at least 24 hours, up to 48. do a rez change and add your nutrient with 10ml h2o2 per gallon.

is your air pump and stone producing enough air?

where is your water level? it should be an inch bellow the bottom of the net pot.

S

smokestack23

If they aren't smelly and slimey (yet) it probably isnt rot or pythium. I'd say that if your temps are good like you say and no light is getting in there it's brown algae. Typically rot and or pythium is quick to follow but since you're using SM90 you might not get the stanks.

SM90, Zone, H2O2..none of that'll work for brown algae I don't think. you need to send some benes in there. You can look up EWC teas and either make and use some of that (with EWC and Great White or other bene...or EWC and ZHO and Hydrogaurd...whatever floats your boat) or just add the benes to your res.

I'm not real familiar with a lot of those additives you're using but I see the word sugar or candy or something on one of them. Don't add any sugar or molasses or anything like that to your res...and stay clear of hygrozyme until you get this browness cleared-up.

FWIW, IMHO, AFAIK, YMMV.

P.S. I didn't see...you ARE providing oxygen either with an airpump or water movement right?

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

When in doubt just remove the funky part of the root mass......if it breaks off easily when u tug on it then it needs to go IMO

S

sweetgreen

So I should just cut off that big brown mass? What's that going to do to my plant, shock it bad?

But what about all those other little "tap roots" that are turning brown, but have white side roots?

Is it really possible for root rot to grow in temps lower than 68? I hope it's not brown algae, as that seems like a bigger bitch than Pythium!

I'm getting totally lost in this thread http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=55259&page=3 ....but I hope I can find the answer in there somewhere

S

smokestack23

The brown algae doesn't really care that much about low temps or oxygen in the water. That shit doesnt even need light...but still make sure your bins are light blocked.

for your best chance at success..prevention is the main thing. A chiller should be at the top of your list..but I don't run any. My temps rarely hot 70 and never go above. I DO run DM Zone and SM90 on a rotational basis.

For ME..I run sterile reses and don't want ANYTHING alive or organic in there. If I re-use a system (tubs, hoses, fittings, pumps...) I run Physan20 and Bleach and H2O2 (not together obviously) through the system. I have DIY systems so replacing everything every second run is inexpensive and affords a lot of POM.

I've never had brown algae but thought I had it once. I have Great White and EWC on my shelves for just such an occasion. I brewed up a couple gallons of tea but by the time the 48hours it takes to brew had elapsed I had found the real problem. It was caused by tap water I had to use after a flood. Don't know why but roots started turning color. Went back to RO and though the discolored roots stayed tanned, new white growth resumed.

So yeah...for ME..Hydroponics and Organics just do NOT mix..especially in DWC or RDWC. Run DM Zone and or SM90 to maintain a sterile (dead) reservoir. Keep light out. Keep the temps low. Keep oxygenated. Use RO water. Keep a bottle of Physan20, H2O2, Great White, and EWC on the shelf.

AND...if you have brown algae, use the benes. Do bear in mind though that I am not speaking with experience about brown algae. I researched the HELL out of it when I thought I had it and what I'm suggesting is only what I learned. I do NOT have first hand experience with the BA. I DO have experience with hydro and RDWC and I can say from experience that a sterile, cool, dark, oxygenated res will keep most pathogens at bay.

M

Max Trichomes

I can not recommend Dutch Master Zone enough. It makes DWC/RDWC a no-brainer. I can attest first hand to how great this stuff is. Don't even mess around with benies in an RDWC, a sterile res is the way to go. I haven't bought chillers yet cause I don't have that kind of coin at the moment. So sometimes my res gets up to 75 F before I put a frozen 1 gallon jug of water in. Even with the high temps I've never had a problem, I thank Zone for that.

Like smokestack said, prevention is always the best way to combat big problems like root rot. I don't know how well Zone is after the fact, but I have heard of some people using it to treat a pre-existing condition. So it must be effective at treating existing problems, but I have no first hand experience there. But as I said earlier Zone is the shit at prevention.

S

sweetgreen

Ok well here's the update photos. Still haven't done anything, and the big clump of brown is still there, BUT it's fading and seems to be overtaken by new white roots. There are still a few individual little brown guys hanging from the pot.

So I dunno, maybe the SM-90 is slowly helping?

I'm getting the 35%H202 tomorrow

TexadaTimewarp 002 Large
TexadaTimewarp 003 Large
C

Chris1

Those are crazy lookin roots my man

I used zone after rot...bounced them back in no time. And my res smelled like a dead body

And if you haven't done a res change do one

S

smokestack23

Quote Sweetgreen "Still haven't done anything..."

Hey..glad to hear you're having some success.
I'm not a dick and I REALLY hate to be one of those assholes who only chimes-in with impertinent negative bullshit. We have enough of those already. That's why I try to help with suggestions any time I think I can be helpful.

That being said, whythehell would you go to a bunch of sites and post threads in all their forums asking for help and suggestions and then say "Still haven't done anything..."??? I don't get it.

It's really none of my business though. You haven't put anyone out or said anything that might lead someone astray who is searching, looking for help for root troubles. I'm sure that everyone just gave you advice hoping to help and naturally, what you do with that advice, or don't do is completely up to you. It doesn't affect any of the advice-givers in any way whatsoever.

It's just that I've seen this same thing several times (again..not your fault) and it starts to make a person say...ahhh..why bother helping them out..they probably won't listen anyway.
If you disagree with advice given that's a different story and might create some debate which can be a great thing. Asking for suggestions and just ignoring them is ..well...kinda lame.

Either way, good luck and again, I'm glad to hear that you're winning the battle.
PEACE!

S

sweetgreen

Quote Sweetgreen "Still haven't done anything..."

That being said, whythehell would you go to a bunch of sites and post threads in all their forums asking for help and suggestions and then say "Still haven't done anything..."??? I don't get it.

Either way, good luck and again, I'm glad to hear that you're winning the battle.
PEACE!

Haha chill out bro, I appreciate the concern, but I haven't done anything because I have nothing to do! I couldn't get my H202 today, so I'll have to wait till Monday. Other than that what can I do? I don't have the $$ to go and buy everything everyone suggested, but I've taken note and when I can afford it I'll try them.

My temps are good, SM-90 added before I posted, light leak fixed...so really there is nothing else I can do?

My point of showing that it seems to be correcting itself without me doing anything was just to show that maybe it wasn't root rot, or maybe the SM-90 is slowly working, and really was just to update those who are following. It's only been a few days since I posted, and since I work and have a life outside of growing there hasn't been that much time for me to work on it.

So don't worry, I'm not just posting for shits and giggles. And hey, you never know who might come across this thread with the same issue looking for answers, and might find it here.

So no sweat, no offense taken on my part, and I understand your concern, but I'm taking everyone's suggestions seriously. It just takes some time and $$ for me to try everything everyone's suggested

S

smokestack23

Cool. Glad you werent offended.
Sorry if I came across as a bit of a dick. Like I mentioned. I'm not that guy lol.

PEACE

Top Bottom