Is this seedling ok? (First grow)

• Thread starter KeeperOfKeys
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
KeeperOfKeys

KeeperOfKeys

I planted 2 seeds, April 2nd, straight into soil. A mixture of Promix HP, worm castings, and perlite. #1 popped up April 5th, and I feel like its doing well! #2 popped April 6th. Obviously #2 had/has some damaged cotyledons. I feel like its starting to get on track again, but I'm not sure how much this will affect the future grow. Is it worth it to keep it? It's so stunted in comparison the other one....
Also been thinking about maybe buying a clone. In your guys experience, does it work out growing a clone & seedling/s under the same light? Or does it cause problems since one is ahead of the other?
Is this seedling ok first grow

KeeperOfKeys

KeeperOfKeys

PSX 20240412 112536
The difference in height. 🙃 I think I took off the baggie too soon on the left one (#2). Unfortunately I have a diy setup, and the humidity in my basement is no Bueno. I'm finding it's improving with Multiple times a day misting the soil when it looks dry on top (and feels slightly damp below it)

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
It’s wasn’t talking the bag off to quickly

It’s the light it was stretching for it may have stopped stretching already how far away is the light

Seedlings and clones can be grown under the same light

Re reading you don’t want to mist every day let alone multiple times a day

You really want to water it then let it dry repeat and rinse
Watering to often/misting can cause other problems

There are holes in the bottom of the cup I take it , if not push a pen or something through it and make a few.

Your gonna have to find another way to raise the humidity. Leaving wet towels drip into a buckets will raise it a bit

Last edited:
KeeperOfKeys

KeeperOfKeys

It’s the light it was stretching for it may have stopped stretching already how far away is the light
The attached photo is how far away it is. Its measuring 177 ppm currently. I started with a different light (mine came from china and was taking a while) and it was about the same distance and 250 ppm. But there is a brown spot on the stunted seedling, so i initially thought, maybe it was from the light being too strong.

Seedlings and clones can be grown under the same light
So if the clone is bigger, it shouldn't overpower the seedling? That's my main concern
Re reading you don’t want to mist every day let alone multiple times a day

You really want to water it then let it dry repeat and rinse
Watering to often/misting can cause other problems
I water it when it's dry, and only on the edges of the cup, to help with root growth. But due to the fact I have a heater, and I haven't figured out how to jank up a door, and the humidity is like 30% or lower & the soil dries out quick 🙃😭
There are holes in the bottom of the cup I take it , if not push a pen or something through it and make a few.
Yes, I put 4 slits on the bottom with a razor blade, should I do more?
Your gonna have to find another way to raise the humidity. Leaving wet towels drip into a buckets will raise it a bit
I will try that! How far away would you put it from the seedlings? Thank you for the suggestion, that sounds perfect! I have a humidifier, but it uses more than a gallon of Distilled water a day. I didn't realize it would use that much.

PSX 20240412 130129

Last edited:
Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
The attached photo is how far away it is. Its measuring 177 ppm currently. I started with a different light (mine came from china and was taking a while) and it was about the same distance and 250 ppm. But there is a brown spot on the stunted seedling, so i initially thought, maybe it was from the light being too strong.

So if the clone is bigger, it shouldn't overpower the seedling? That's my main concern

I water it when it's dry, and only on the edges of the cup, to help with root growth. But due to the fact I have a heater, and I haven't figured out how to jank up a door, and the humidity is like 30% or lower & the soil dries out quick 🙃😭

Yes, I put 4 slits on the bottom with a razor blade, should I do more?

I will try that! How far away would you put it from the seedlings? Thank you for the suggestion, that sounds perfect! I have a humidifier, but it uses more than a gallon of Distilled water a day. I didn't realize it would use that much.

View attachment 2149048
Ppf only gives you a idea or range
I really can’t tell by the pics
A tape message is what you want
Ideally it should be around 25” away and dimmed to 50-75%

Yeah I understand the low humidity however ideally you need to let the soil dry out in between watering you don’t want it moist all the time not once they have rooted.

Slits with a razor blade hmmm you would of been better with holes I don’t think the slits will be enough

Oh yeah I thought I missed something it was nagging at me lol
The clone will be putting its energy into rooting
Seeds have what we call seed vigour if you was to get it soon you could do both

If you do get a clone wash it with a mix of water and peroxide before introducing it to the others.

3x the amount of water to peroxide clones are Notorious for coming with bugs

Last edited:
C

climbit

View attachment 2148983The difference in height. 🙃 I think I took off the baggie too soon on the left one (#2). Unfortunately I have a diy setup, and the humidity in my basement is no Bueno. I'm finding it's improving with Multiple times a day misting the soil when it looks dry on top (and feels slightly damp below it)
I think your light is too far away. The excessive stretching and the leaves aren’t exactly straight or “praying”. Try bringing the light closer 2-3 inches until those leaves erect themselves or overall appearance improves. Number One, any light distance and intensity is simply a recommendation. Not only that, these charts advertised displaying PPFD spread are usually measured in there respective tent size. It doesn’t seem like your in a tent so you can slide with extra power cause there’s nothing amplifying the light.

R

RGWD0202

The 2nd set of leaves are curling really hard on that taller one. Have you given them nutrients of any type?

KeeperOfKeys

KeeperOfKeys

Ppf only gives you a idea or range
I really can’t tell by the pics
A tape message is what you want
Ideally it should be around 25” away and dimmed to 50-75%
It's actually exactly 25" away! Haha I turned the light up to 50% and now it says 375 ppm. Is that ok?
Yeah I understand the low humidity however ideally you need to let the soil dry out in between watering you don’t want it moist all the time not once they have rooted.
Alright, I will back off the watering
Slits with a razor blade hmmm you would of been better with holes I don’t think the slits will be enough
I will also make bigger holes!
If you do get a clone wash it with a mix of water and peroxide before introducing it to the others.

3x the amount of water to peroxide clones are Notorious for coming with bugs
The whole plant?
Also, thank you for the help! I appreciate it! 😊

The 2nd set of leaves are curling really hard on that taller one. Have you given them nutrients of any type?
I have not. I'm using lotus nutrients, and it says week 2 I should start giving nutes.

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
The ppdf reading is a bit high
It tops out at 300 for seedlings

It had probably stopped stretching either raise it a bit more or dim it again back to 25% you probably be better raising it as 25% was only reading 117 witch is on the low side

I wouldn’t feed till week three

The curling is probably from overwatering
Sometimes folk call soil hot as in loaded with nutes @GNick55 will tell you hot soil doesn’t exist. when you water soils release ferts as you’ve been in a position where the pots are drying out fast the plants taking up more nutes than it needs.

@climbit

Seedlings shouldn’t be praying it’s not even always a good sign when a plant does it’s sometimes stress especially if there praying hard. I had one so stressed it was praying so hard it was blocking the bud sites from getting light

Last edited:
C

climbit

The ppdf reading is a bit high
It tops out at 300 for seedlings

It had probably stopped stretching either raise it a bit more or dim it again back to 25% you probably be better raising it as 25% was only reading 117 witch is on the low side

I wouldn’t feed till week three

The curling is probably from overwatering
Sometimes folk call soil hot as in loaded with nutes @GNick55 will tell you hot soil doesn’t exist. when you water soils release ferts as you’ve been in a position where the pots are drying out fast the plants taking up more nutes than it needs.

@climbit

Seedlings shouldn’t be praying it’s not even always a good sign when a plant does it’s sometimes stress especially if there praying hard. I had one so stressed it was praying so hard it was blocking the bud sites from getting light
Variety / experience = different results?

What the fuck do I know

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
Variety / experience = different results?

What the fuck do I know
You know what you know

I wasn’t putting you down bud at all far from it

Even added a like as you said ;

“light distance and intensity is simply a recommendation. Not only that, these charts advertised displaying PPFD spread are usually measured in there respective tent size.“

Witch I agreed with

Sorry if you felt I was putting you down. Guess I’ll call it a night ; have a good one 🙂

Top Bottom