Is this the Hop Latent Virus?!?!?!?

• Thread starter Taurus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
I attended a seminar at CannaCon 22 last weekend that covered HLV by Tassa Saldi of TUMI Genomics, called "Hop Latent Viroid Fact, Fiction and Management".

It IS a real thing. The only way to confirm it's presence is a PCR or LAMP test. According to them, 73% of all facilities in CO have HLVd. Among many other states.

Here are my notes I took during the seminar -

Let me know if anyone has any questions on my notes and I'll try my best to clarify.
Hop Latent Viroid Fact, Fiction and Management

Hop Latent Viroid causes major economic loss

can start asymptomatically and spread quickly

There is no topical treatment

dramatically reduces flower weight, thc/cbd

first identified in 1987

like cross species jumped to cannabis

Colorado infected

73% of facilities have it

only hosts are hops, stinging nettle, and cannabis

intracellular parasites

disinfectant will not kill

symptoms likely due to plant immune system

mechanical transmission

sap introduced into wound of healthy plant

trim process is the most common infection time

touching plant sap also infects

water transmission can remain infectious for 7 weeks in water

seed transmission – hops is 8% no published studies on cannabis

insects can infect – not known how

SYMPTOMS

Christmas Tree Growth

Horizontal Growth - increase

Stunted Growth

Makes branches brittle

Overlapping leaves

Discoloration, yellow and stunted

Stunted trichomes reduced potency dramatic loss in yield

Worst thing is it is asymptomatic but contagious

ONLY way to be certain is to get a test

How to protect-

Proactive approach

Preventative pathogen program

Sterile Environment

Test Regularly

Organize

Protect Your Borders

(STOP)

1 Sterile environment – PPE for all indiv. Including foot baths – gloves – surfaces – promptly pick up dead plant matter

Bleach not alcohol – not effective on viroids

DO NOT compost infected material

2 Test Regularly – Mother stock every 6 weeks – test random clones – test sus. veg plants- routine water testing of tanks and lines at least every 6 months

3 Organize to limit pathogens - limit traffic in facility- track location of clones from mothers, do not mix clones from multiple strains in same tray- track and record data on pathogen testing, prevalence

4 Protect your borders- Do not let anything into facility that has not been tested for pathogens- request testing reports/data from clone providers – set up quarantine space for new material, test, wait 4 weeks, test again, then move to main room – test with other moms regularly

Can I afford this?-

Cost of testing is 1.50 per flowering plant (50-100 Mothers – 25-30 clones per plant) Prevention costs less than Reaction

How to test- Upper clone stem 61% success – New growth petiole 36% success – Old growth 75% success- Upper root and lower root 100% success (highest in upper root)

How to pick a testing lab -

Sensitivity

Specificity

Accuracy

Ask for a validation document

Ask what kind of test for HLVd and why

PCR or LAMP test – pcr more accurate- doesn't really matter

Most cannabis virus are likely uncharacterized

Hop Latent Viroid

Beet Curly top virus

Lettuce chlorosis virus

tobacco streak virus

TUMI Genomics

Tissue Culture is Effective at Cleaning Infection – takes 6 mo to 1 year

Hop and Cannabis genetics very similar

Seeds can be cleaned with 10% bleach

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I attended a seminar at CannaCon 22 last weekend that covered HLV by Tassa Saldi of TUMI Genomics, called "Hop Latent Viroid Fact, Fiction and Management".

It IS a real thing. The only way to confirm it's presence is a PCR or LAMP test. According to them, 73% of all facilities in CO have HLVd. Among many other states.

Let me know if anyone has any questions on my notes and I'll try my best to clarify.
Does it carry on seeds? Let's say you have a healthy seed plant that is in the vicinity of another with the virus, does that ship out with the seeds?

Deadstill

Deadstill

Supporter
Does it carry on seeds? Let's say you have a healthy seed plant that is in the vicinity of another with the virus, does that ship out with the seeds?
In that situation not necessarily, because it requires physical contact to transmit. So if there's insects or something that could pick it up from one plant and transmit to another, that is a possibility. But an infected plant can produce infected seeds. They said best thing to do is just wash all of your seeds with a 10% bleach solution.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

In that situation not necessarily, because it requires physical contact to transmit. So if there's insects or something that could pick it up from one plant and transmit to another, that is a possibility. But an infected plant can produce infected seeds. They said best thing to do is just wash all of your seeds with a 10% bleach solution.
I've read some people use H2O2 to crack seeds too. I suppose that actually might have a purpose.

Deadstill

Deadstill

Supporter
I've read some people use H2O2 to crack seeds too. I suppose that actually might have a purpose.
You know, I didn't even think to ask that. She did specifically say that alcohol is ineffective and in fact can make the viroid spread faster, but didn't say anything about peroxide. She was adamant about using 10% bleach solution for cleaning seeds, trays, surfaces, etc. etc. I'm not sure if peroxide is effective at killing viroids, that's something we'll have to take a closer look at!

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

You know, I didn't even think to ask that. She did specifically say that alcohol is ineffective and in fact can make the viroid spread faster, but didn't say anything about peroxide. She was adamant about using 10% bleach solution for cleaning seeds, trays, surfaces, etc. etc. I'm not sure if peroxide is effective at killing viroids, that's something we'll have to take a closer look at!
I don't think I have any reason to use either with my stock, but if a threat comes up I'll use 10% bleach, thanks.

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
I call this hLv g33! Tested positive for the guy that gave it to me but I just don’t see anything dudding about it.😁 they tell me week three is when it all happens. See you soon!View attachment 1211519
What’s wrong with the fan leaves or are you spraying something they look strange I don’t know if it’s the light bouncing back but when I zoom I can see white stuff as well as what looks like brown dots

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
What’s wrong with the fan leaves or are you spraying something they look strange I don’t know if it’s the light bouncing back but when I zoom I can see white stuff as well as what looks like brown dots
Heavy 16 foilar was sprayed on them.
Leaves a shiny on the leaves.

PrimoClonesCanada

PrimoClonesCanada

Supporter
I call this hLv g33! Tested positive for the guy that gave it to me but I just don’t see anything dudding about it.😁 they tell me week three is when it all happens. See you soon!View attachment 1211519
Hey @Trustfall did you ever flower out you hlv g33?
I know some strains it doesn't effect as much as others.
I have a apple fritter that tested positive but all the plants I've grown from it throw down some fire.
But my pcg runtz and nodes labs Marshmallow OG #9 2 of each dudded hard this flower cycle
Pcg runtz dudded
20221012 214505
20221012 213704
20221012 213728

Pcg runtz normal (still positive for virus)
20221012 214523
20221012 213815
20221012 213837

This shits no joke man its real and it turns your top quality bud into absolute bunk. Lack of trichs terps and density

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
What’s up primo yes I did and here’s what I got. I would not consider this a dudded harvest. Is it perfect absolutely not but she was grown in the same watering system as 20 other plants so some plants do better then others.
Don’t forget tumi is in this to profit not to make sure your garden is clean. They also sell the flu 😷 test. And how convenient is it that tumi’s customers with the largest following like skunktek are always 100% clean, then they post the results from the homies text messages. Which increases skunkteks clone sales and tumi’s test kit sales.
They also want you to test again and again even if it’s negative. Basically test until it comes up positive then throw em away a buy new ones from tumi’s friends.
I’m not saying hlvr isn’t real just like the flu, but I’m not gonna go buy a test kit everytime I get a sniffle. Just have to learn to live with it.
I can spot a dud from a mile away, cull and move on. I’ve had harvest just like yours in the past and no the same strain from the same stalk I got the best the plants every looked.95% of any plant I’ve seen dud starts on a branch, clone of the healthy side kill the plant and move on.
Your bud that looks sick looks more like it got root disease then a viroid, are those gnats on your sticky cards in your thread? Gnats will spread it to every plant in your garden so keep that in mind.
Deadstills notes from the tumi canna con basically says if your plant isnt in perfect health it’s viroided 🤣
The list of symptoms grows by the week.

421636ED 454E 46E8 8389 1DC9502C98BF
B2D60E37 B542 4F74 A863 39FF30003C3A
PrimoClonesCanada

PrimoClonesCanada

Supporter
What’s up primo yes I did and here’s what I got. I would not consider this a dudded harvest. Is it perfect absolutely not but she was grown in the same watering system as 20 other plants so some plants do better then others.
Don’t forget tumi is in this to profit not to make sure your garden is clean. They also sell the flu 😷 test. And how convenient is it that tumi’s customers with the largest following like skunktek are always 100% clean, then they post the results from the homies text messages. Which increases skunkteks clone sales and tumi’s test kit sales.
They also want you to test again and again even if it’s negative. Basically test until it comes up positive then throw em away a buy new ones from tumi’s friends.
I’m not saying hlvr isn’t real just like the flu, but I’m not gonna go buy a test kit everytime I get a sniffle. Just have to learn to live with it.
I can spot a dud from a mile away, cull and move on. I’ve had harvest just like yours in the past and no the same strain from the same stalk I got the best the plants every looked.95% of any plant I’ve seen dud starts on a branch, clone of the healthy side kill the plant and move on.
Your bud that looks sick looks more like it got root disease then a viroid, are those gnats on your sticky cards in your thread? Gnats will spread it to every plant in your garden so keep that in mind.
Deadstills notes from the tumi canna con basically says if your plant isnt in perfect health it’s viroided 🤣
The list of symptoms grows by the week.
Thanks for the response
Hard to tell if those are dudded or not they don't look to dense at all. Is Gelato 33 supposed to be dense? I assume it is, how are the terps?. Trichs don't look to bad.is it suppose to be super frosty?Did it do the lateral branching?

Seems different strains react differently to it. I think some of my sfv might of slightly dudded cause some plants just lacked terps and density and weren't as stretchy like the more dense ones but in no way we're they as bad as the runtz and Mm og.

I know tumi is a business but that doesn't make what she says in the breeder syndicate untrue. She's simply stating what has been proven by science I believe. She says she looked at the 50+ studies that were pertinent to the subject and is basing what she says from them and also the experience she has gained with what she has done.
Like if you send in top root hairs from the small study they did it gives 100% accuracy compared to what 30-70%(can't remember exactly)with branches and petioles. That is a game changer if it's true. You could test your plants once or twice then your good. Just quarantine and test anything new you want to bring in.

It doesn't surprise me you can keep it at bay with healthy cuts and culling out anything suspicious. After just the one time having it I could spot a dudding plant I think, well at least the easy ones.
But they don't all act the same, some might have severe symptoms while others have next to none like my apple fritter.

Yep I keep them to check, just a bunch of dirt on them.
I do see a flyer every few months. Think I've seen 1 in the past 2-3 months.
But the chances of a flyer eating on my plant I have a better chance of getting hit by lightning sitting in my basement...🤣
Just for the fact that they could never pass up the fungus gnat crack in my soil, those thing love organic amendments my friend. When I had a fungus gnats problem my plants were perfect but they were super fucking annoying. They would eat the dry amendments in the soil. But they really loved it when I just plop straight dry amendments right under my drip line for my blumats. In a day or 2 on most there was tons of gnat larvae just going crazy for it. Took me a couple years and trying tons of different stuff but finally I used aquabac on my top dress and that did the trick.
Like I said might see a flyer every few months, which isn't to bad when running organic soil.

But there's no doubt my plants dudded, they didn't even look like the same plant by the end, they were all in same pots same soil same water and were right next to each other yet looked like totally different strains. And surprise surprise they tested positive.

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
No problem. Best thing you can do is have excellent husbandry practices and you will see less problems viroid or not. If they are not full dudded they can grow out of it and you’ll never see it again. If it was as rampant as they say it would have spread to everything by now and I’d be shut down and working at Applebees.
The problem
Is people don’t know what the hell they are doing or pay attention to the plants. This plant is clearly a dud.
This guy on Instagram thought his grape pie was healthy as can be ready to sell clones.🤣 then someone said hlvr and he’s sarcastically says oh you can tell just by looking at it then why do we need testing.
Then look at terpy’s response.
Testing causes fear, grow healthy plants this shit doesn’t happen over night. It’s not healthy today then turns into a pile of crap tomorrow.

C38C5BD6 3590 449C B913 60041D805FF9
60F34127 4971 44FB 9E22 D84457A8FECA
PrimoClonesCanada

PrimoClonesCanada

Supporter
No problem. Best thing you can do is have excellent husbandry practices and you will see less problems viroid or not. If they are not full dudded they can grow out of it and you’ll never see it again. If it was as rampant as they say it would have spread to everything by now and I’d be shut down and working at Applebees.
The problem
Is people don’t know what the hell they are doing or pay attention to the plants. This plant is clearly a dud.
This guy on Instagram thought his grape pie was healthy as can be ready to sell clones.🤣 then someone said hlvr and he’s sarcastically says oh you can tell just by looking at it then why do we need testing.
Then look at terpy’s response.
Testing causes fear, grow healthy plants this shit doesn’t happen over night. It’s not healthy today then turns into a pile of crap tomorrow.
That thing literally looks like a Christmas tree. That's some serious lateral branching😲
I think back then they didn't ask for root samples so testing was sketchy. One branch can test positive and another test negative. With the root sample they are 100% accurate, that's why I say that root sample is a game changer for testing.
You shouldn't have to test all the time if you know 100% it's negative.

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
And dude had no idea and he’s a clone dealer🤣.
Remember it wasn’t long ago the virus wasn’t suppose to show until week three of flower hence the word “latent”.

R

ritoMox

Been studying up on organics and one thing often repeated is that a healthy soil microbiome and plant interaction gives your plant a healthy immune system to ward off many ailments. Assuming that to be true, a virus invading a plant as described in this thread seems it could be due to generational breeding without a healthy soil microbiome such as when using all synthetics. Just thinking out loud here. If you can't find a niche to exploit, create one🤔✌️

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Been studying up on organics and one thing often repeated is that a healthy soil microbiome and plant interaction gives your plant a healthy immune system to ward off many ailments. Assuming that to be true, a virus invading a plant as described in this thread seems it could be due to generational breeding without a healthy soil microbiome such as when using all synthetics. Just thinking out loud here. If you can't find a niche to exploit, create one🤔✌️
I like the way you think. And I have heard a time or two that putting a sick plant outside for the summer can rid it of the dud.

R

ritoMox

I like the way you think. And I have heard a time or two that putting a sick plant outside for the summer can rid it of the dud.
We hear of GMO food crops, but we don't hear anything about GMO cannabis. Given that cannabis is a cash crop, it seems pretty safe to assume that most of the commercial weed going around and even a lot of home grown is pretty much GMO; if not done under a microscope then done through the use of all these store-bought products I'm always reading about people using. What better way to keep folks buying products to grow their weed than to have the products that they buy modify the weed to be dependent on those store-bought products! Keep your heirlooms safe, folks! Remember monsanto suing folks over using monsanto's GMO genetics that pollinated the farmers non-GMO crops? 🤔

Zombierider

Zombierider

@Trustfall what other features denote that this is a dudded plant? The lack of foliage? So does any branch growing 90 degrees from the stem mean you might have hlv? Trying to make sure i know how to properly identify this stupid virus in case i encounter it. One more question: can a dudded plant grow awesome buds but just have no terps when smoked? Or would that just be a non-keeper? Thanks for the help!

Top Bottom