Is Tom Alexander Still Around? (sensimilla Tips)

• Thread starter Werunwild69
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Werunwild69

Werunwild69

Sorry Waayne for mis-spelling your name in my original post but I blame it on auto-correct...Thank you again for your kind words... As you know, my store opened in 1980 and was a ground breaking way to sell high tech garden equipment. I treated it like a stereo store with four different sized grow rooms that were growing plants like cucumbers, tomatoes and basil. Most hydro stores back then just had inventory just laying all over the store, some not even on shelves and nobody grew plants in their store. Many Portland, Oregon stores had pit bulls that greeted you as you came into the store smelling your crotch and some stores had employees that had handguns on their belts. I feel I professionalized the indoor grow store and was the model of how to set up and run one.

When they stole my store in 1989 I was as famous as Ed or Jorge (who both are very good friends) since from 1984-1988 I had been the main guest up on the stage or at the desk on Donahue, Geraldo, Nightline, Today, CBS Morning News, numerous local tv shows and radio talk shows. None of the other writers or authors of that period were willing to take on the DEA and the prohibition politicians in the national media. I went toe to toe with them, was not willing to take their propaganda shit and was one of the reasons they tried to take me out in Operation Green Merchant. When the DEA stole my garden store in 1989 they used civil forfeiture with no criminal charges. But they threatened me, my then wife (now ex) and the corporation with criminal conspiracy if I fought to get the forfeited merchandise back. I wanted to go around the country and give speeches and raise money for a defense fund, but the specter of them throwing me in jail and losing my family for writing and publishing how to grow articles and selling garden supplies was too much to bear.

The reason the info in Since Tips was so advanced and interesting was because the growers in the hills, in their homes and in warehouses were writing the articles. Much like this site is the same way.

Since this all happened 25-30 years ago, a lot of the people involved in the industry have never heard of me, since many weren't even born yet. I hope to change all that in the next few years...

Well, I am back in the saddle, on the horse and trying to figure out what to do in the emerging Cannabis industry. One thing is for sure. The newbies & Vulture, er, I mean Venture Capitalists who are jumping on the Green Rush want nothing to do with anybody who had anything to do with Cannabis before the Green Rush. Well fuck them. I am defending and fighting for the small to medium growers while newbie Green Rushers will fight for the corporate controlled mega farmer treating it like a Budweiser beer brewery. Cooperatives and Collectives will be the saving grace for small to medium growers. They are already forming in Oregon, Washington and California. Stay tuned...
@Tom Alex, Well said!!! You must be on a horse that goes one way only. Glad your back. I've known who you are since '89 and your book is one of two published books in my throne room. I've had it since '89 as well. I gotta say that when I met you, we smoked some fuckin kick ass shit! It was your stuff. You don't know how priviliged I felt!

T

Tom Alex

Welcome to the farm tom!

Anyone spoken about with such respect from waayne must be a true gem to the community.

Hope you stay around and we can all learn a lot from you.

Sounds like you paved the way for all use current farms and you were way ahead of all the indoor grow stores back then..... and probably even the grow stores that are around now lol. Some stores iv been to are jokes. I feel if I walk into someone's store they should be as knowledgeable or more then myself.

Once again welcome to the farm and look forward to having you around!!

Respect ~SMF~

Thank you @Skunkmasterflex! I hope I can meet you and others in this forum again someday. I go to the Cannabis Cups on the West Coast and The Emerald Cup in Dec.

Last edited:
T

Tom Alex

@Tom Alex, Well said!!! You must be on a horse that goes one way only. Glad your back. I've known who you are since '89 and your book is one of two published books in my throne room. I've had it since '89 as well. I gotta say that when I met you, we smoked some fuckin kick ass shit! It was your stuff. You don't know how priviliged I felt!

Thank you @Werunwild69! Those were the dazes! I really enjoyed meeting everyone like you in my store or offices in Corvallis and on the road, when a new issue came out I would travel up and down the west coast distributing it and gathering info and/or stories for future issues. My adventures will be a book in the future and if I live long enough possibly a movie script. I have so many stories and adventures in me, it could be a couple of books or movies, if my memory can serve me well. Thanks again.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Since this all happened 25-30 years ago, a lot of the people involved in the industry have never heard of me, since many weren't even born yet. I hope to change all that in the next few years...
I hadn't heard of you til this thread, thank you for accepting me to the FB group. I'm middle-aged, but was far too skeered to try growing back then, so I just kept to my Mexi-brick until the kids were old enough to take care of themselves should momma get her sorry ass arrested.

Thank you for taking the time to join here and post! I think I can safely say that we *all* look forward to learning more and hearing about those times.

MrBelvedere

MrBelvedere

Hello Tom, it's really great to have you here! I grew up on the East Coast and was not able to get your magazine. I only learned about from reading on some forums in the last couple months. The scanned articles I have seen look tremendous, a real treasure trove of information. It would be great if your team could scan to PDF all the issues, many collectors like myself would buy all of them in a heartbeat. Do you still have archives of all the issues? Much thanks for joining and to the OP question!

Last edited:
P

pi r

hey tom long time no see. actually i never met you but we did have a long conversation on the phone right before you shut down. 1991 ish.

in addition to chatting about our favorite topic i also purchased one of your last complete (sets) of sens tips which included the books and almost all of the magazines but for 1 or two of the very first issues. to this day they are sealed in seal a meal waiting for the time i can sell the complete set on ebay for gazillions a bucks.

if i remember right you went from the mj mag to another mag telling people how to grow hydro tomatoes. snicker but my mem aint as good as it once was.

so glad you made it out unscathed.

i will look you up on fb

THE one n only pi r squared!

Wow...I just stumbled accidentally upon the THCFarmer site and bingo, I further stumbled upon a question asking if I am still breathing...yes still here...thanks for the kind words, and no, I have never worked for General Hydro. Larry Brooke is a friend but not my boss. I hadn't done anything at all related to Sinsemilla Tips (Sinse with an i) since I stopped publishing ST in 1991. Those were the days...the stories that I can remember while selling ST up and down the West Coast! But just coincidentally, a Facebook group called Sinsemilla Tips Magazine sprung up 24 years later, a little over a month ago, and you all are welcome to join it. More political and grow info, just what everyone needs more of since everyone has so much time on their hands...not really...

I stopped publishing Growing Edge in 2009 after 20 years.

This THCFarmer site, to me is a lot like Sinsemilla Tips was. Real people, real info, human interest angle, real experiences. Whoever is putting the site together: great job! And great info source. Thanks for putting it out there.

F

friend

Sinsimilla Tips was One of my first books on cannabis,
it brings back a lot of great memories, when I was a newbe
(still am :)).

THANKS , for being a pioneer in the cannabis movement, its great to have
you here ! Wishing you much respect and great karma, moveing foward

MrBelvedere

MrBelvedere

Sorry Waayne for mis-spelling your name in my original post but I blame it on auto-correct...Thank you again for your kind words... As you know, my store opened in 1980 and was a ground breaking way to sell high tech garden equipment. I treated it like a stereo store with four different sized grow rooms that were growing plants like cucumbers, tomatoes and basil. Most hydro stores back then just had inventory just laying all over the store, some not even on shelves and nobody grew plants in their store. Many Portland, Oregon stores had pit bulls that greeted you as you came into the store smelling your crotch and some stores had employees that had handguns on their belts. I feel I professionalized the indoor grow store and was the model of how to set up and run one.

When they stole my store in 1989 I was as famous as Ed or Jorge (who both are very good friends) since from 1984-1988 I had been the main guest up on the stage or at the desk on Donahue, Geraldo, Nightline, Today, CBS Morning News, numerous local tv shows and radio talk shows. None of the other writers or authors of that period were willing to take on the DEA and the prohibition politicians in the national media. I went toe to toe with them, was not willing to take their propaganda shit and was one of the reasons they tried to take me out in Operation Green Merchant. When the DEA stole my garden store in 1989 they used civil forfeiture with no criminal charges. But they threatened me, my then wife (now ex) and the corporation with criminal conspiracy if I fought to get the forfeited merchandise back. I wanted to go around the country and give speeches and raise money for a defense fund, but the specter of them throwing me in jail and losing my family for writing and publishing how to grow articles and selling garden supplies was too much to bear.

The reason the info in Since Tips was so advanced and interesting was because the growers in the hills, in their homes and in warehouses were writing the articles. Much like this site is the same way.

Well, I am back in the saddle, on the horse and trying to figure out what to do in the emerging Cannabis industry. One thing is for sure. The newbies & Vulture, er, I mean Venture Capitalists who are jumping on the Green Rush want nothing to do with anybody who had anything to do with Cannabis before the Green Rush. Well fuck them. I am defending and fighting for the small to medium growers while newbie Green Rushers will fight for the corporate controlled mega farmer treating it like a Budweiser beer brewery. Cooperatives and Collectives will be the saving grace for small to medium growers. They are already forming in Oregon, Washington and California. Stay tuned...

Hi Tom do you have any pedigree info on Northern Lights? What is in the lineage? We had an incredible clone of it long ago that very sadly disappeared in 92. Thx

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
@Tom Alex Wow!!!!. Not often you get to meet a true cannabis legend. Tom in my mind is the original cannabis warrior who dared to stand up to the man. Lost track of you years ago. Good to see you have survived and are still involved. :D

Pull up a chair, make yourself at home. I am looking forward to having you around.

I want to personally thank you for your sacrifice and service you have been to the cannabis community. Keep fighting the good fight.

Yoda welcome matt

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I want to take a minute and share with the group a write up in CC mag from 2005 that gives a look into the depth that the prohibitionists went to to with Operation Green Merchant. Like Tom mentioned some of the group here at the Farm were not even born in those days. I wish some days I could say I hadn't been born then. Getting old and crotchety LOL

Operation Green Merchant
The DEA does a nationwide takedown

By Ray Boyd - Saturday, October 15 200

4557-greenmerch.jpg
The DEA believed that High Times magazine, pot seed merchants, indoor pot growers, pot journalists and hydroponics equipment manufacturers were a criminal conspiracy worthy of a nationwide takedown.
Operation Green Merchant was the DEA's comprehensive attempt to destroy pot magazines and hydroponics and indoor marijuana growing industries. To understanding the US government's bizarre attack on this legitimate, multi-faceted industry, realize that DEA ideology brands the hydroponics industry as the indoor marijuana industry, and vice versa.

There are no facts to back up the DEA's assertion that the industries are one in the same. In fact, only a very small portion of hydroponic farmers are marijuana growers. Yet Green Merchant took action against hydroponics storeowners, workers and customers by arresting them for marijuana crimes ? even when there was no evidence they were guilty of any crimes.

One of the best histories of Green Merchant is an article by Jeff Edwards in the Winter 2004 issue of Hydroponic Retailing In the USA. The author is a hydroponic store founder-owner, and also president of the Hydroponic Merchants Association (HMA), an influential trade group.

According to Edwards, in the late 1980's the DEA believed that High Timesmagazine, pot seed merchants, indoor pot growers, pot journalists and hydroponics equipment manufacturers were a criminal conspiracy worthy of a nationwide takedown.

Using gardening equipment ads in High Times as their roadmap, undercover DEA agents visited hydroponics stores and contacted hydroponics wholesalers, asking for advice and materials for marijuana cultivation.

The DEA subpoenaed United Parcel Service (UPS) delivery records associated with hydroponics stores, getting information on tens of thousands of people suspected of procuring hydro equipment for marijuana growing. Hydroponics retailers were already nervous, noting that Congress started passing laws in 1985 that criminalized otherwise legal products if they were "intended for illegal use."

Most storeowners had already adopted a hard-line policy: they instructed their employees to remove anyone from the store who asked about marijuana. If the person refused to leave, employees were to call the police and have the person arrested for trespassing.

These precautions didn't matter to President George H.W. Bush, who announced a major escalation of the drug war in a Sept. 5, 1989 speech televised from the Oval Office. Under Bush's prodding, DEA agents increasingly visited hydroponics stores, ran surveillance, and gathered information through strongarm tactics and subterfuge. They lied to store employees, posing as bikers, hippies, Vietnam veterans, and medically needy people.

One hydroponics store staffer who was a victim of Green Merchant said DEA agents were "shameless in their deceptions, wearing clandestine recording devices while trying to trick us into having incriminating discussions about marijuana. They offered us women, guns, and money if we'd show them how to grow pot and sell them gear."

4557-bush.jpg
Black Thursday

Then, on a day known in the hydroponics industry as Black Thursday, October 26, 1989, the DEA in conjunction with dozens of other law enforcement agencies raided hydroponics stores in 46 states, arresting 119 people, seizing several indoor gardening shops and thousands of cannabis plants.

Store owners and employees watched in horror as gun-toting police ransacked their shops. In most cases, no charges were ever filed, but civil asset forfeitures stole millions of dollars worth of inventory from stores and individuals. One cultivation-centered pot magazine, Sensimilla Tips, went out of business, and High Times spent years recovering from the loss of its most lucrative advertisers. Sensimilla Tips publisher Tom Alexander established the magazine The Growing Edge in the aftermath of Operation Green Merchant, where nary a mention of marijuana can be found.

Green Merchant kept rolling long after Black Thursday, roping in hundreds of plants and growers, also corralling Nevil Schoenmakers, the world's first international marijuana seed retailer, whose Holland-based "Seed Bank" was an early precursor to Marc Emery Seed Sales and dozens of seed retail imitators.

In 1991, DEA agents began serving subpoenas on hydro storeowners, seeking customer addresses and other private information. Agents raided, questioned, and intimidated hundreds of people and organizations, including scientists and NASA's horticultural research facilities. By the end of 1991, Green Merchant had arrested 1,262 people, dismantled 977 indoor grows, and seized $17.5 million in assets. Dozens of people served 4 to 15 year prison terms, many with mandatory minimums that did not allow for sentence reduction.

The Green Merchant scheme backfired on the DEA. The general public and Libertarian politicians heard that innocent hydroponics storeowners had been convicted of marijuana charges solely based on questionable testimony from tainted informants. People found out the DEA entrapped suspects, ruined lives and businesses, and sent harmless people to prison. The DEA came off not as heroic antidrug crusaders, but as Nazis.

Super Growth

In 2005, nearly two decades after the horrors of Black Thursday, the hydroponics industry is vibrant and confident, but also wary of more DEA-inflicted trauma. One of the main safety tactics employed by the hydroponics industry is for hydro store owners to ruthlessly avoid any connection with marijuana growers or products designed for marijuana. The basis for such extreme avoidance is a federal law, specifically "21 U.S.C. 863," which defines drug paraphernalia as "any equipment, product, or material of any kind which is primarily intended or designed for use in manufacturing, compounding, converting, concealing, producing, processing, preparing, injecting, ingesting, inhaling, or otherwise introducing into the human body a controlled substance?"

Because the definition of paraphernalia criminalizes innocent items, the law says that "in determining whether an item constitutes drug paraphernalia, in addition to all other logically relevant factors, the following may be considered:

(1) instructions, oral or written, provided with the item concerning its use;

(2) descriptive materials accompanying the item which explain or depict its use;

(3) national and local advertising concerning its use;

(4) the manner in which the item is displayed for sale;

(5) the existence and scope of legitimate uses of the item in the community; and

(6) expert testimony concerning its use.

The government's broad interpretation of this statute formed the basis for the Justice Department's "Operation Pipe Dreams" in 2003, which snared Tommy Chong and many others. The government views inert, otherwise legal materials and objects ? such as glass ? as illegal if they are "intended" for illegal use.

According to hydroponics industry leaders, "some wacko at the DEA" could interpret this law to mean that hydroponics gear advertised in pot magazines is "illegal drug paraphernalia."

Jeff Edwards reflected this concern in his Green Merchant article with this dire warning: "Don't advertise in publications that overtly or covertly appeal to marijuana growers. Avoid at all costs products that are advertised specifically for use in growing marijuana."

Writing in a gardening magazine, another prominent member of the hydroponics industry warned his colleagues: "[You] can see why I get upset when hydroponic manufacturers or retail stores market their products in a 'wink and a nod' manner. And the fact is, you still run a big risk if you market in any way to pot growers. Now, there are those in our industry who don't believe that. They persist in targeting the underground economy, because they think that's the path to success. Others, including myself, think that our industry would be wiser and probably richer in the long run by tapping the $70 billion mainstream gardening market. Again I ask, which side are you on?"

On Internet cultivation forums, in cultivation books, and in the marijuana industry, pot growers network and discuss hydroponics, fertilizers, lighting, C02 units, and other indoor gardening supplies. Of these, cannabis fertilizer is the most plant-specific of all the types of merchandise a hydroponics store sells.

There are about eight major manufacturers and dozens of smaller companies making fertilizer products routinely used by marijuana growers. Among the major players are General Hydroponics, Technaflora, Canna, and Advanced Nutrients.

Most hydroponics manufacturers never mention marijuana in their North American marketing materials; they certainly don't advertise in marijuana magazines. At the same time, some of these same companies or their subsidiaries advertise in European marijuana magazines and at marijuana conventions.

The only major companies in the North American market that openly admit their products are used to grow marijuana are Canna and Advanced Nutrients.

When I asked legit hydroponics insiders to comment on the assertion that fertilizers and other indoor grow products could be considered illegal paraphernalia, most of them adamantly refused to talk on the record.

I contacted Advanced Nutrients at its company headquarters in British Columbia, and spoke to company president Robert Higgins. Initially, Higgins also refused to be interviewed. Later, he gave a brief statement about marijuana-specific advertising, hydroponics stores, and the industry in general.

"Advanced Nutrients are legal products," Higgins said. "Our products work well on all plants because we do solid research and constant upgrading. Medical marijuana growing is legal in Canada for Health Canada licensed patients; we created specialty products for them that work better on medical marijuana than any other products do. I believe everyone in the industry agrees with Advanced Nutrients that marijuana is a plant medicine, and that excellent medical marijuana can be grown hydroponically."

Higgins said he "totally supports" hydroponics retailers and is "just as concerned about their safety as they are.

"I understand why people in the US are afraid of their government, but carrying Advanced Nutrients products won't get them raided," he said. "Plenty of retailers in the US selling our products are having absolutely zero problems. Our industry realizes we need to work together to defend our business rights and the legitimacy of our products and retailers."

Higgins refused comment on Edwards' published advice that hydroponics storeowners should not carry products advertised in marijuana magazines, which until recently were a main venue for Advanced Nutrients' advertising.

A representative of High Times anonymously responded to Edwards, saying, "Green Merchant was the government trying to destroy free speech by going after our advertisers. We're proud to teach people how to grow, use, and lobby for marijuana.

Hydro store owners make a stand for freedom by refusing to be intimidated by the drug war. There's nothing to be ashamed of for growing pot, providing help to growers, selling hydroponics equipment, or being in a weed magazine."

Better Safe than Sorry?

Barry is a hydroponics store owner in California. His store sells fans, fertilizers, grow lights, gardening books and other equipment. He earns enough to have a "middle class existence", and employs four other people.

He's been in business seven years; every year, sales have increased. His marijuana policy: neither the substance nor the topic is found on premises. If a customer so much as hints at being a pot grower, Barry bans them.

Barry drug tests his employees. If they test positive, or otherwise violate his marijuana policies, he fires them.

"Green Merchant is how extreme the government can get ? they'll bust you even if you have zero contact with marijuana," he complains. "As far as my store is concerned, to my knowledge nobody who buys our products uses them for marijuana. Not even legal medical marijuana. We don't have marijuana in our lives, period. However, given that they can bust you even if you aren't doing anything associated with marijuana, I often wonder what's the use of taking precautions."

Barry's store carries several types of fertilizers, among them Advanced Nutrients.

"I hesitated to carry Advanced," he confesses, "because their marketing was tied to medical marijuana. A lot of customers demanded it. It sells well. Sure, sales reps for other nute companies warn Advanced is gonna get me popped. I was concerned enough to have my lawyer contact the DEA and my Congressman. The DEA tells him it's got no intent of busting my store unless I am actively and knowingly assisting marijuana growers, which I am not. The Congressman says there's no political will or funding to do another Green Merchant, and probably never will be."

While we're speaking, a 60-something woman comes in asking what she needs to buy so she can have a small, indoor garden for orchids and other legal exotic plants.

Barry shows her a self-contained ebb and flow rack system that contains pump, reservoir, tubing, volcanic rock, fittings, an Advanced Nutrients starter kit, a frame and an adjustable height 250 watt HPS light. It was a small purchase, just under $790, and seemed 100 percent legitimate.

When I asked Barry if the lady was a "typical customer," he just smiled.

Regulation Blues

There are clouds on the horizon. Police and politicians in Southern Australia recently proposed a law that would investigate and register hydroponics store owners and operators, similar to the way pawn shops and alcohol stores are licensed in the United States. The proposed law requires hydroponics customers to provide identification, address information and "end user certificates" to stores, and requires stores to divulge customer information to police.

In March, Paul Nadeau, head of the RCMP's marijuana enforcement team in British Columbia, said the Mounties are drafting a new grow shop bylaw that authorities could use to regulate hydroponics stores, much like pawn shops. Customers would have to provide picture identification; stores would be required to give police access to customer purchases.

"There's absolutely no doubt in our minds that these stores cater to people who grow marijuana," Nadeau said. "The people who are growing marijuana, they're using these stores. It's not gardeners." In the US, lawmakers threatened to regulate the commercial fertilizer industry because some components can be precursors for methamphetamine or bombs. The fertilizer industry responded by offering to help police stop such materials from being used illegally in California.

Barry says his wife and family ask him to "get out of the business," but he sees it as "my duty as a citizen to stand up to the government for my right to help people grow plants."

"What's this leading to?" he wonders. "They're telling us what plants to grow, what fertilizers we can use and sell. Based on probable harm or intent? I look at their scare tactics as a business crime and a human rights crime. I won't bow to it." Other hydroponics enthusiasts have admittedly bowed to it. Like a 50-year-old veteran hydroponicist I spoke to, one of many whose life was virtually destroyed during the Green Merchant pogrom. He's thankful to have a safer job now, but says he's lost the inner fire that once made him an advocate for hydroponics and marijuana legalization.

"Now, I am like most Americans: just trying to get along until I die," he ruefully admits. "They have beaten me down and I have submitted. Until you realize they will break the law to take somebody down, you just don't understand. They are criminals with badges and will do whatever they want to do."
4557-seed.jpg

Werunwild69

Werunwild69

I want to take a minute and share with the group a write up in CC mag from 2005 that gives a look into the depth that the prohibitionists went to to with Operation Green Merchant. Like Tom mentioned some of the group here at the Farm were not even born in those days. I wish some days I could say I hadn't been born then. Getting old and crotchety LOL

Operation Green Merchant
The DEA does a nationwide takedown

By Ray Boyd - Saturday, October 15 200

4557-greenmerch.jpg
The DEA believed that High Times magazine, pot seed merchants, indoor pot growers, pot journalists and hydroponics equipment manufacturers were a criminal conspiracy worthy of a nationwide takedown.
Operation Green Merchant was the DEA's comprehensive attempt to destroy pot magazines and hydroponics and indoor marijuana growing industries. To understanding the US government's bizarre attack on this legitimate, multi-faceted industry, realize that DEA ideology brands the hydroponics industry as the indoor marijuana industry, and vice versa.

There are no facts to back up the DEA's assertion that the industries are one in the same. In fact, only a very small portion of hydroponic farmers are marijuana growers. Yet Green Merchant took action against hydroponics storeowners, workers and customers by arresting them for marijuana crimes ? even when there was no evidence they were guilty of any crimes.

One of the best histories of Green Merchant is an article by Jeff Edwards in the Winter 2004 issue of Hydroponic Retailing In the USA. The author is a hydroponic store founder-owner, and also president of the Hydroponic Merchants Association (HMA), an influential trade group.

According to Edwards, in the late 1980's the DEA believed that High Timesmagazine, pot seed merchants, indoor pot growers, pot journalists and hydroponics equipment manufacturers were a criminal conspiracy worthy of a nationwide takedown.

Using gardening equipment ads in High Times as their roadmap, undercover DEA agents visited hydroponics stores and contacted hydroponics wholesalers, asking for advice and materials for marijuana cultivation.

The DEA subpoenaed United Parcel Service (UPS) delivery records associated with hydroponics stores, getting information on tens of thousands of people suspected of procuring hydro equipment for marijuana growing. Hydroponics retailers were already nervous, noting that Congress started passing laws in 1985 that criminalized otherwise legal products if they were "intended for illegal use."

Most storeowners had already adopted a hard-line policy: they instructed their employees to remove anyone from the store who asked about marijuana. If the person refused to leave, employees were to call the police and have the person arrested for trespassing.

These precautions didn't matter to President George H.W. Bush, who announced a major escalation of the drug war in a Sept. 5, 1989 speech televised from the Oval Office. Under Bush's prodding, DEA agents increasingly visited hydroponics stores, ran surveillance, and gathered information through strongarm tactics and subterfuge. They lied to store employees, posing as bikers, hippies, Vietnam veterans, and medically needy people.

One hydroponics store staffer who was a victim of Green Merchant said DEA agents were "shameless in their deceptions, wearing clandestine recording devices while trying to trick us into having incriminating discussions about marijuana. They offered us women, guns, and money if we'd show them how to grow pot and sell them gear."

4557-bush.jpg
Black Thursday

Then, on a day known in the hydroponics industry as Black Thursday, October 26, 1989, the DEA in conjunction with dozens of other law enforcement agencies raided hydroponics stores in 46 states, arresting 119 people, seizing several indoor gardening shops and thousands of cannabis plants.

Store owners and employees watched in horror as gun-toting police ransacked their shops. In most cases, no charges were ever filed, but civil asset forfeitures stole millions of dollars worth of inventory from stores and individuals. One cultivation-centered pot magazine, Sensimilla Tips, went out of business, and High Times spent years recovering from the loss of its most lucrative advertisers. Sensimilla Tips publisher Tom Alexander established the magazine The Growing Edge in the aftermath of Operation Green Merchant, where nary a mention of marijuana can be found.

Green Merchant kept rolling long after Black Thursday, roping in hundreds of plants and growers, also corralling Nevil Schoenmakers, the world's first international marijuana seed retailer, whose Holland-based "Seed Bank" was an early precursor to Marc Emery Seed Sales and dozens of seed retail imitators.

In 1991, DEA agents began serving subpoenas on hydro storeowners, seeking customer addresses and other private information. Agents raided, questioned, and intimidated hundreds of people and organizations, including scientists and NASA's horticultural research facilities. By the end of 1991, Green Merchant had arrested 1,262 people, dismantled 977 indoor grows, and seized $17.5 million in assets. Dozens of people served 4 to 15 year prison terms, many with mandatory minimums that did not allow for sentence reduction.

The Green Merchant scheme backfired on the DEA. The general public and Libertarian politicians heard that innocent hydroponics storeowners had been convicted of marijuana charges solely based on questionable testimony from tainted informants. People found out the DEA entrapped suspects, ruined lives and businesses, and sent harmless people to prison. The DEA came off not as heroic antidrug crusaders, but as Nazis.

Super Growth

In 2005, nearly two decades after the horrors of Black Thursday, the hydroponics industry is vibrant and confident, but also wary of more DEA-inflicted trauma. One of the main safety tactics employed by the hydroponics industry is for hydro store owners to ruthlessly avoid any connection with marijuana growers or products designed for marijuana. The basis for such extreme avoidance is a federal law, specifically "21 U.S.C. 863," which defines drug paraphernalia as "any equipment, product, or material of any kind which is primarily intended or designed for use in manufacturing, compounding, converting, concealing, producing, processing, preparing, injecting, ingesting, inhaling, or otherwise introducing into the human body a controlled substance?"

Because the definition of paraphernalia criminalizes innocent items, the law says that "in determining whether an item constitutes drug paraphernalia, in addition to all other logically relevant factors, the following may be considered:

(1) instructions, oral or written, provided with the item concerning its use;

(2) descriptive materials accompanying the item which explain or depict its use;

(3) national and local advertising concerning its use;

(4) the manner in which the item is displayed for sale;

(5) the existence and scope of legitimate uses of the item in the community; and

(6) expert testimony concerning its use.

The government's broad interpretation of this statute formed the basis for the Justice Department's "Operation Pipe Dreams" in 2003, which snared Tommy Chong and many others. The government views inert, otherwise legal materials and objects ? such as glass ? as illegal if they are "intended" for illegal use.

According to hydroponics industry leaders, "some wacko at the DEA" could interpret this law to mean that hydroponics gear advertised in pot magazines is "illegal drug paraphernalia."

Jeff Edwards reflected this concern in his Green Merchant article with this dire warning: "Don't advertise in publications that overtly or covertly appeal to marijuana growers. Avoid at all costs products that are advertised specifically for use in growing marijuana."

Writing in a gardening magazine, another prominent member of the hydroponics industry warned his colleagues: "[You] can see why I get upset when hydroponic manufacturers or retail stores market their products in a 'wink and a nod' manner. And the fact is, you still run a big risk if you market in any way to pot growers. Now, there are those in our industry who don't believe that. They persist in targeting the underground economy, because they think that's the path to success. Others, including myself, think that our industry would be wiser and probably richer in the long run by tapping the $70 billion mainstream gardening market. Again I ask, which side are you on?"

On Internet cultivation forums, in cultivation books, and in the marijuana industry, pot growers network and discuss hydroponics, fertilizers, lighting, C02 units, and other indoor gardening supplies. Of these, cannabis fertilizer is the most plant-specific of all the types of merchandise a hydroponics store sells.

There are about eight major manufacturers and dozens of smaller companies making fertilizer products routinely used by marijuana growers. Among the major players are General Hydroponics, Technaflora, Canna, and Advanced Nutrients.

Most hydroponics manufacturers never mention marijuana in their North American marketing materials; they certainly don't advertise in marijuana magazines. At the same time, some of these same companies or their subsidiaries advertise in European marijuana magazines and at marijuana conventions.

The only major companies in the North American market that openly admit their products are used to grow marijuana are Canna and Advanced Nutrients.

When I asked legit hydroponics insiders to comment on the assertion that fertilizers and other indoor grow products could be considered illegal paraphernalia, most of them adamantly refused to talk on the record.

I contacted Advanced Nutrients at its company headquarters in British Columbia, and spoke to company president Robert Higgins. Initially, Higgins also refused to be interviewed. Later, he gave a brief statement about marijuana-specific advertising, hydroponics stores, and the industry in general.

"Advanced Nutrients are legal products," Higgins said. "Our products work well on all plants because we do solid research and constant upgrading. Medical marijuana growing is legal in Canada for Health Canada licensed patients; we created specialty products for them that work better on medical marijuana than any other products do. I believe everyone in the industry agrees with Advanced Nutrients that marijuana is a plant medicine, and that excellent medical marijuana can be grown hydroponically."

Higgins said he "totally supports" hydroponics retailers and is "just as concerned about their safety as they are.

"I understand why people in the US are afraid of their government, but carrying Advanced Nutrients products won't get them raided," he said. "Plenty of retailers in the US selling our products are having absolutely zero problems. Our industry realizes we need to work together to defend our business rights and the legitimacy of our products and retailers."

Higgins refused comment on Edwards' published advice that hydroponics storeowners should not carry products advertised in marijuana magazines, which until recently were a main venue for Advanced Nutrients' advertising.

A representative of High Times anonymously responded to Edwards, saying, "Green Merchant was the government trying to destroy free speech by going after our advertisers. We're proud to teach people how to grow, use, and lobby for marijuana.

Hydro store owners make a stand for freedom by refusing to be intimidated by the drug war. There's nothing to be ashamed of for growing pot, providing help to growers, selling hydroponics equipment, or being in a weed magazine."

Better Safe than Sorry?

Barry is a hydroponics store owner in California. His store sells fans, fertilizers, grow lights, gardening books and other equipment. He earns enough to have a "middle class existence", and employs four other people.

He's been in business seven years; every year, sales have increased. His marijuana policy: neither the substance nor the topic is found on premises. If a customer so much as hints at being a pot grower, Barry bans them.

Barry drug tests his employees. If they test positive, or otherwise violate his marijuana policies, he fires them.

"Green Merchant is how extreme the government can get ? they'll bust you even if you have zero contact with marijuana," he complains. "As far as my store is concerned, to my knowledge nobody who buys our products uses them for marijuana. Not even legal medical marijuana. We don't have marijuana in our lives, period. However, given that they can bust you even if you aren't doing anything associated with marijuana, I often wonder what's the use of taking precautions."

Barry's store carries several types of fertilizers, among them Advanced Nutrients.

"I hesitated to carry Advanced," he confesses, "because their marketing was tied to medical marijuana. A lot of customers demanded it. It sells well. Sure, sales reps for other nute companies warn Advanced is gonna get me popped. I was concerned enough to have my lawyer contact the DEA and my Congressman. The DEA tells him it's got no intent of busting my store unless I am actively and knowingly assisting marijuana growers, which I am not. The Congressman says there's no political will or funding to do another Green Merchant, and probably never will be."

While we're speaking, a 60-something woman comes in asking what she needs to buy so she can have a small, indoor garden for orchids and other legal exotic plants.

Barry shows her a self-contained ebb and flow rack system that contains pump, reservoir, tubing, volcanic rock, fittings, an Advanced Nutrients starter kit, a frame and an adjustable height 250 watt HPS light. It was a small purchase, just under $790, and seemed 100 percent legitimate.

When I asked Barry if the lady was a "typical customer," he just smiled.

Regulation Blues

There are clouds on the horizon. Police and politicians in Southern Australia recently proposed a law that would investigate and register hydroponics store owners and operators, similar to the way pawn shops and alcohol stores are licensed in the United States. The proposed law requires hydroponics customers to provide identification, address information and "end user certificates" to stores, and requires stores to divulge customer information to police.

In March, Paul Nadeau, head of the RCMP's marijuana enforcement team in British Columbia, said the Mounties are drafting a new grow shop bylaw that authorities could use to regulate hydroponics stores, much like pawn shops. Customers would have to provide picture identification; stores would be required to give police access to customer purchases.

"There's absolutely no doubt in our minds that these stores cater to people who grow marijuana," Nadeau said. "The people who are growing marijuana, they're using these stores. It's not gardeners." In the US, lawmakers threatened to regulate the commercial fertilizer industry because some components can be precursors for methamphetamine or bombs. The fertilizer industry responded by offering to help police stop such materials from being used illegally in California.

Barry says his wife and family ask him to "get out of the business," but he sees it as "my duty as a citizen to stand up to the government for my right to help people grow plants."

"What's this leading to?" he wonders. "They're telling us what plants to grow, what fertilizers we can use and sell. Based on probable harm or intent? I look at their scare tactics as a business crime and a human rights crime. I won't bow to it." Other hydroponics enthusiasts have admittedly bowed to it. Like a 50-year-old veteran hydroponicist I spoke to, one of many whose life was virtually destroyed during the Green Merchant pogrom. He's thankful to have a safer job now, but says he's lost the inner fire that once made him an advocate for hydroponics and marijuana legalization.

"Now, I am like most Americans: just trying to get along until I die," he ruefully admits. "They have beaten me down and I have submitted. Until you realize they will break the law to take somebody down, you just don't understand. They are criminals with badges and will do whatever they want to do."
4557-seed.jpg

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
No, but why am I not surprised? Argo, anyone?
@Tom Alex Wow!!!!. Not often you get to meet a true cannabis legend. Tom in my mind is the original cannabis warrior who dared to stand up to the man. Lost track of you years ago. Good to see you have survived and are still involved. :D

Pull up a chair, make yourself at home. I am looking forward to having you around.

I want to personally thank you for your sacrifice and service you have been to the cannabis community. Keep fighting the good fight.

View attachment 499398
If you do FB he's on there, too. :)

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Well thank you!!! @Seamaiden I am not a huge FB fan but I may have to give it a shot. You have a great day!!!

J

JamesHenry

DAMN! WHAT A HOOT!!!

I still live on the east coast and had every issue of "Sinsemilla Tips" from the folded over few sheets before staples into Growing Edge.
I was looking for their value because my sister took the whole collection and I found this thread.

You were doing an orchard thing I thought Tom when I spoke to you last.

My father and I used to do business with you. Besides buying different supplies and those pails of bird and bat guano from you. We sold a pyrethrum insecticide fogger in High Times for indoor growing. We had a farm outside Philadelphia if that rings any bells.

This is my first time on this forum Tom. If I can send you a private message I will but I would like to talk to you again.

Jim

Latest posts

Top Bottom