Is UV supp really needed w LEDs???

• Thread starter PizzaBob
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bellbottomgenes

Bellbottomgenes

You can disagree thats why this is America. I have no reason to decieve. Take what i said as fact or myth i care either way. But The one pic was taken when I pulled the plant out of the tent the night before showing my friend. In my opinion 15 on 45 off is pretty dumb considering well everything in nature. Its like your saying in nature the sun shuts off uv production after 15 minutes then needs a rest apparently for the next 45? That's retarded.

(I included some lower popcorn nug shots because it's out the direct hps light.) Listen, I don't know who you hang around that lies to you all the time but I don't hang around liars and don't like being made to feel like I did. I'm telling the results as I see them in my own house. In lansing michigan. I'm 40. Own my house and car. I'm a adult I don't lie to strangers on weed forums in some pseudo pissing contest
Grate some nerve I suppose??.
Clearly you're easily offended and on the internet, I'd say that's retarded.. I never said you were trying to deceive.. fuck it nevermind clearly it will be harder to make sure your feelings won't get hurt...clearly you didn't read or comprehend what I Said initially. .have a good 1 Mr 40 year old.. it's despicable that anyone thinks they know better because nature this.. nature that. . Bottom line uvb doesn't even make it through the ozone well most of it... so I'd say uvb constantly is retarded.. but a weak uv like reptile is no comparison to the solacure anyways... as your setup is inferior.. but the suggestion came from solacures website.... so I guess they're retarded too? Maybe everyone someday can be as cool and knowledgeable as Mr 40 year old eh?

Last edited:
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

You can disagree thats why this is America. I have no reason to decieve. Take what i said as fact or myth i care either way. But The one pic was taken when I pulled the plant out of the tent the night before showing my friend. In my opinion 15 on 45 off is pretty dumb considering well everything in nature. Its like your saying in nature the sun shuts off uv production after 15 minutes then needs a rest apparently for the next 45? That's retarded.

(I included some lower popcorn nug shots because it's out the direct hps light.) Listen, I don't know who you hang around that lies to you all the time but I don't hang around liars and don't like being made to feel like I did. I'm telling the results as I see them in my own house. In lansing michigan. I'm 40. Own my house and car. I'm a adult I don't lie to strangers on weed forums in some pseudo pissing contest
Where the hell did this response come from?

I’ll give you a strong piece of advice. Chill the fuck out.

I let it go when I posted above, walked away shaking my head, but now that you are out here calling folks retards that disagree even slightly with you you are gonna get it.

What you are doing it not scientific. It’s great that you think it all works but where is your cannabinoid testing? Where is your control? Where is your understanding of uvr8 and when triggered what happens in the plant? Where are your daily pics from the exact same position to programmatically count trichomes and quantify size? Where is your 2 buds under the same exact ppfd but 1 additionally has uv? Your testing and therefore results are flawed. You cannot claim to be some expert with this setup, just another anecdotal forum posting who knew before he put the bulb in it would be successful.

Again it’s great you are happy. But let’s be honest here, if you left the glass in the light fixture you are not getting any uvb delivered to the plants anyhow and still seeing the effects. What does that mean about your posts?

Bad science.

And when someone challenges the tiniest thing about what you are doing you start name calling and a list of logical fallacies. Gtfo with that.

If you want to actually learn about uv and be a part of a community we can do that. If your next post is like the one I quoted tho, we don’t need or want you. You decide.

I’ve been uv testing for years. I’m still undecided on its efficacy and I HAVE posted good science like all those things I asked you about above. I can help you but I’ll be damned if I am gonna fight thru that chip on your shoulder to do it.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Years ago, when I started fooling around with UVB, I had several of those lizard lights hanging, bare-bulb, among my plants. Some buds were less than an inch away, others were up to 2 feet away.

I didn't notice any difference in the density of trichs, by sight, for the buds right next to the bulbs compared to others. On the other hand, grow forums were full of people swearing these lizard lights increase the numbers of trichs. I never bothered to do a trich count per unit area, because of the hassle and because I didn't see any difference, visually. I also noticed that none of the people who claimed a huge difference bothered to do a trich count.

My conclusion was that higher trich density due to UVB is pure bro science.

I did convince myself that UVB increases potency, partially because of the old article, and partially because that's what it seemed. But that's bro science, too. I lived in Illegal Land at the time [world's worst theme park] so there was no actual testing. Now that I have the ability, I'll have to test UVB for real, for myself.

In the meantime, the best way I've found of growing more powerful weed is to find genetics that produce more powerful weed.

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

its not retarded really, this allows the plant to adapt to uvb or it will literally burn the plant. i doubt the little uv light you got hooked up to the hps does anything to your plants its too far way

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

Years ago, when I started fooling around with UVB, I had several of those lizard lights hanging, bare-bulb, among my plants. Some buds were less than an inch away, others were up to 2 feet away.

I didn't notice any difference in the density of trichs, by sight, for the buds right next to the bulbs compared to others. On the other hand, grow forums were full of people swearing these lizard lights increase the numbers of trichs. I never bothered to do a trich count per unit area, because of the hassle and because I didn't see any difference, visually. I also noticed that none of the people who claimed a huge difference bothered to do a trich count.

My conclusion was that higher trich density due to UVB is pure bro science.

I did convince myself that UVB increases potency, partially because of the old article, and partially because that's what it seemed. But that's bro science, too. I lived in Illegal Land at the time [world's worst theme park] so there was no actual testing. Now that I have the ability, I'll have to test UVB for real, for myself.

In the meantime, the best way I've found of growing more powerful weed is to find genetics that produce more powerful weed.
''in theory we should see an effect, in practice we've never been able to show it.'' dr bruce bugbee on the effects of uv on cannabinoids

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

''in theory we should see an effect, in practice we've never been able to show it.'' dr bruce bugbee on the effects of uv on cannabinoids
Before I start my next flirtation with UVB, I'm going to put together a PowerPoint explaining why it should work, then show it to my young plants, who will be at an impressionable age. I know, some will say this is cheating.

Bellbottomgenes

Bellbottomgenes

I'm curious if bugbee did variations.. like pauses like I suggested. Or did he leave it on constant? My theory is leaving it on constantly will degrade the trichs as fast as they are being created.. hence no result... but fluctuations may prove to grow them bigger... not more of them... bugbee also stated that it DOES make plants stronger .. I don't think it's bro science until I see it not work.. again.. I haven't been able to use mine yet so I have no proof... thanks for putting Mr 40 year old in place... apparently even at 40 some people still need guidance on common decency...

Gazoo31

Gazoo31

I'm running a hps and a 13 watt uvb bulb. The plants under the uvb directly are noticeablly more sugary tricombs. The same strains farthest away have considerably less. And it's not because of lack of light. I running 1000 watt hps and 5 plants right under it.

I'm running a hps and a 13 watt uvb bulb. The plants under the uvb directly are noticeablly more sugary tricombs. The same strains farthest away have considerably less. And it's not because of lack of light. I running 1000 watt hps and 5 plants right under it.
Using a uvb bulb inside a glass fixture is providing your plants with very little to zero uv. Placebo.

Bellbottomgenes

Bellbottomgenes

Depends... solacure uses uvb in a bulb.. so technically it passes through 1 piece of whatever they use to make a bulb... so technically it passes through that anyway.. idk about others.. or am I wrong here?

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

Depends... solacure uses uvb in a bulb.. so technically it passes through 1 piece of whatever they use to make a bulb... so technically it passes through that anyway.. idk about others.. or am I wrong here?
the thickness of a bulb tho its not alot, @Gazoo31 is right in that glass such as greenhouse or of the reflector hood would block uvb

Bellbottomgenes

Bellbottomgenes

the thickness of a bulb tho its not alot, @Gazoo31 is right in that glass such as greenhouse or of the reflector hood would block uvb
Oh ok I misunderstood.. Thank you for specifying bro..
I initially was only telling brownm30 to take pics at more of a comparable image.. and that it's somewhat deceiving when it's a judgment call like 2 different buds.. or 2 pics not same exact image or distance away to compare... that's what I'll be doing.. is true comparisons so that it's a clear result 1 way or the other you know? I never meant to make the guy feel like I was implying he was deceiving anyone. Happy holidays everybody!!

Bellbottomgenes

Bellbottomgenes

Where the hell did this response come from?

I’ll give you a strong piece of advice. Chill the fuck out.

I let it go when I posted above, walked away shaking my head, but now that you are out here calling folks retards that disagree even slightly with you you are gonna get it.

What you are doing it not scientific. It’s great that you think it all works but where is your cannabinoid testing? Where is your control? Where is your understanding of uvr8 and when triggered what happens in the plant? Where are your daily pics from the exact same position to programmatically count trichomes and quantify size? Where is your 2 buds under the same exact ppfd but 1 additionally has uv? Your testing and therefore results are flawed. You cannot claim to be some expert with this setup, just another anecdotal forum posting who knew before he put the bulb in it would be successful.

Again it’s great you are happy. But let’s be honest here, if you left the glass in the light fixture you are not getting any uvb delivered to the plants anyhow and still seeing the effects. What does that mean about your posts?

Bad science.

And when someone challenges the tiniest thing about what you are doing you start name calling and a list of logical fallacies. Gtfo with that.

If you want to actually learn about uv and be a part of a community we can do that. If your next post is like the one I quoted tho, we don’t need or want you. You decide.

I’ve been uv testing for years. I’m still undecided on its efficacy and I HAVE posted good science like all those things I asked you about above. I can help you but I’ll be damned if I am gonna fight thru that chip on your shoulder to do it.
Thank you... I appreciate this 🙏

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Using a uvb bulb inside a glass fixture is providing your plants with very little to zero uv. Placebo.
Glass blocks UVC almost 100%. Not so much of UVB.

Originally Answered: Why does glass block UV?
Glass is primarily made of SiO2 - silicon dioxide; the band gap of Silicon Dioxide is about 8.9 eV, which means that it can absorb any light with energies at or above 8.9 eV, which corresponds to a wavelength of about 139 nm (UV has wavelengths in the 100 nm - 400 nm - according to wikipedia: Ultraviolet); so silicon dioxide could absorb the highest-energy ultraviolet light, but there's a lot of dangerous UV that it can't absorb. So viewing glass as silicon dioxide doesn't explain how glass can block UV.
According to wikipedia, the main components of most glass are silicon dioxide and sodium dioxide; it appears that combining these components yields a material with a smaller bandgap - around 4 eV range (judging by this paper: http://nopr.niscair.res.in/bitstream/123456789/14005/1/IJPAP 50(5) 335-338.pdf). A material with a 4 eV band gap would be able to absorb wavelengths shorter than 310 nm - which is everything but UVA light, the least dangerous type of UV light.
But I haven't explained: what is this magical band gap?
We need a little bit of quantum mechanics to explain this. Electrons in an atom can only fit in specific places, or orbitals, around the atom; these orbitals are determined by the positioning of atoms and other electrons around the atom. In non-conducting crystals, their is often a clear divide in the energies that electrons in that crystal can have - a gap in energy where there are no quantum states for electrons to fill, known as the band gap; in a pure crystal, there are exactly enough states below the band gap for all the electrons to fit in states beneath the band gap. The absorbs light in photons - when this happens, an electron absorbs some of the photon's energy and jumps to a more energetic state - however, as there are no states in the band gap, the electrons can't absorb any photon whose energy is less than the band gap. With a band gap of 4eV, glass can't absorb any photons with less energy than UVC light; namely, it is transparent to UVA, visible light, infared, etc; but the higher energy photons can and are highly likely to be absorbed.
It's worth noting that this band gap doesn't occur in metals, which is part of why metals are opaque and conductive.

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

Glass blocks UVC almost 100%. Not so much of UVB.

Originally Answered: Why does glass block UV?
Glass is primarily made of SiO2 - silicon dioxide; the band gap of Silicon Dioxide is about 8.9 eV, which means that it can absorb any light with energies at or above 8.9 eV, which corresponds to a wavelength of about 139 nm (UV has wavelengths in the 100 nm - 400 nm - according to wikipedia: Ultraviolet); so silicon dioxide could absorb the highest-energy ultraviolet light, but there's a lot of dangerous UV that it can't absorb. So viewing glass as silicon dioxide doesn't explain how glass can block UV.
According to wikipedia, the main components of most glass are silicon dioxide and sodium dioxide; it appears that combining these components yields a material with a smaller bandgap - around 4 eV range (judging by this paper: http://nopr.niscair.res.in/bitstream/123456789/14005/1/IJPAP 50(5) 335-338.pdf). A material with a 4 eV band gap would be able to absorb wavelengths shorter than 310 nm - which is everything but UVA light, the least dangerous type of UV light.
But I haven't explained: what is this magical band gap?
We need a little bit of quantum mechanics to explain this. Electrons in an atom can only fit in specific places, or orbitals, around the atom; these orbitals are determined by the positioning of atoms and other electrons around the atom. In non-conducting crystals, their is often a clear divide in the energies that electrons in that crystal can have - a gap in energy where there are no quantum states for electrons to fill, known as the band gap; in a pure crystal, there are exactly enough states below the band gap for all the electrons to fit in states beneath the band gap. The absorbs light in photons - when this happens, an electron absorbs some of the photon's energy and jumps to a more energetic state - however, as there are no states in the band gap, the electrons can't absorb any photon whose energy is less than the band gap. With a band gap of 4eV, glass can't absorb any photons with less energy than UVC light; namely, it is transparent to UVA, visible light, infared, etc; but the higher energy photons can and are highly likely to be absorbed.
It's worth noting that this band gap doesn't occur in metals, which is part of why metals are opaque and conductive.
ok i've done some reading, uvc is blocked by our atmosphere uvb is mostly blocked by normal glass such as windows etc. and uva passes through(about 95% of uv that passes through glass is uva). checked multiple sites and all agree.

Bellbottomgenes

Bellbottomgenes

ok i've done some reading, uvc is blocked by our atmosphere uvb is mostly blocked by normal glass such as windows etc. and uva passes through(about 95% of uv that passes through glass is uva). checked multiple sites and all agree.
Idk man... I saw all over.. that uvb is mostly blocked by our ozone.. and uvc is completely blocked by ozone

Bellbottomgenes

Bellbottomgenes

No most of uvb.. not all... most..is blocked by ozone... and all of uvc is blocked etc... that's just what I've read.. doesn't mean I know... because I deffo don't lol

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Not all UVB is blocked. If it was, then why would Dr. Bruce experiment with it? He only works within the active spectrum for plant growth.

Latest posts

Top Bottom