Is UV supp really needed w LEDs???

• Thread starter PizzaBob
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Ok so I have a bunch of quantum board style LEDs now with Samsung LM301Bs and a scattering of red and IR. Is it worth the money and hassle to add UV. I was leaning towards agromax pure UV based on research.

I’m all LEDs now. My HPS grows did seem to have bigger calyx and trichs but o also changed other variables. So to all the LED only growers using these full spectrum (3000K and 5000K) Samsung diodes, is it worth it???
I was just gonna come ask everyone their thoughts on this......some LEDs, as powerful as they may be overall, only have like trace/residual UV........from what I got speaking with a tech guy at the lighting company, it's because UV lights just don't last as many hours, so there could be issues having to manually swap them out more often.......

Ok, so we add UV.......do we need it? Does it increase resin/THC production? Most people seem to think yes it does.....we use sunscreen to protect us from UV, our favorite plants pump out resin.....

Ok.....UV A? B? Both? B Is more harmful but is adding both overkill? B burns out real fast. Is just adding ANY extra UV good enough? I have no problem adding both, the cost for the results is either worth it or barely adding any cost per final ounce.....plus it's fun to go for it......but definitely get good protective glasses, turn them off before working in there......

When to add them? The last 4 weeks of flowering? Ease it in slowly from the beginning? An hour a day? 6? Build....?

Peat_Phreak

Peat_Phreak

The short answer is NO, you don't need any UV to grow high quality weed.

Actual scientists have been struggling to find a practical use for UV while documenting its detrimental effects. On the other had, bro scientists found UV to be useful a long time ago.

Maybe the enthusiastic UV hobbyists can send some pro tips to the scientists regarding how to make UV work for cannabis?

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
The short answer is NO, you don't need any UV to grow high quality weed.

Actual scientists have been struggling to find a practical use for UV while documenting its detrimental effects. On the other had, bro scientists found UV to be useful a long time ago.

Maybe the enthusiastic UV hobbyists can send some pro tips to the scientists regarding how to make UV work for cannabis?
I akready know that you don't need UV to grow quality weed (although it would be interesting to see what would happen over time if many generations grew without UV.)

But the question is.......will adding UV increase resin peoduction? And if so, what's the best eay to add it? And I think the jury is still out on this......we'd need to see some real studies.

H

hawkman

have read were use of UV should be considered at week 4 of flower to harvest>

M

MasterWatererJeff

for cannabis? and why
UV signals various plant hormones.

The existence of interactions between UV light- and cytokinin-mediated developmental regulations has been known for a long time.Uv light stimulates an increase in endogenous cytokinin levels.

Cytokinins have been shown to have good potential to increase yield and quality of essential oils through changing the formation of glandular hairs which are important to the the production of terpenes. Naphthalene acetic acid, cytokinins and methyl jasmonate have all been explored in terms of modifying the volatile oils produced by a range of plants, including in Cannabis where they increased the quantity and quality of oil.

Growth factors and biostimulants related to UV have a great potential to modify the flavour of crops, however the response of crops to each growth factor is highly specific and variable between cultivars. Because of this, it is very difficult to make broad suggestions without individual testing on a case-by-case basis.

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

The existence of interactions between UV light- and cytokinin-mediated developmental regulations has been known for a long time.Uv light stimulates an increase in endogenous cytokinin levels.

Cytokinins have been shown to have good potential to increase yield and quality of essential oils through changing the formation of glandular hairs which are important to the the production of terpenes. Naphthalene acetic acid, cytokinins and methyl jasmonate have all been explored in terms of modifying the volatile oils produced by a range of plants, including in Cannabis where they increased the quantity and quality of oil.

Growth factors and biostimulants related to UV have a great potential to modify the flavour of crops, however the response of crops to each growth factor is highly specific and variable between cultivars. Because of this, it is very difficult to make broad suggestions without individual testing on a case-by-case basis.
Cite please, Cytokinins are found in most kelp foliar sprays/concentrates no light needed

Bellbottomgenes

Bellbottomgenes

I mean... have they used it like everyone else?? I suggest pauses... because constant on will degrade as quickly as it pushes it out.. why no visible effect... I think it would be a good test to try it on a side by side... which is what I'll be doing.. using a digital microscope for accuracy of trichome development... I hear alot of claims of bro science on this... Dr bruce bugbee said it does make plants stronger but didn't see resin increase... let's quote people correctly if we are quoting them... also dont think bugbee did on off variations... just more like 1 hour on 2 hours on 3 hours on plus diff distances etc... but not 15 on 45 off... etc like I suggest

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter

There is good scientific theory.......for why added UV maybe should improve certain things. What we need is for the theories to be properly tested and proven.

As far as when to add it, well if we don't even know of we should......

I've read add it during the 2nd half of flowering, because......that's when the resin growth truly matters. But I've also read to slowly work it in early on so they get acclimated to it.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Here it is in a nutshell:

The Sun produces UV that makes it to the surface of the Earth, despite the ozone layer. This is fact. That UV stresses the plant and causes changes that may or may not affect your plants in a visible fashion. Instead of deciding that this is Bro-science, lets try and make sense of what we do know so far. I have personally seen plants get either more or larger trichs, which one I never examined. Many others have the opposite experience.

Possibly, the strain has much to do with it and that's why the dichotomy. Until someone grows a lot of strains in a controlled experimental environment, we simply will not know the full complete answer. There are studies that show both sides, but these are anecdotal evidence in related studies, not the question we are looking to.

Until the answer is fully discovered, I will use UV because my experience tells me it works.

Top Bottom