Is UV supp really needed w LEDs???

• Thread starter PizzaBob
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PizzaBob

PizzaBob

Ok so I have a bunch of quantum board style LEDs now with Samsung LM301Bs and a scattering of red and IR. Is it worth the money and hassle to add UV. I was leaning towards agromax pure UV based on research.

I’m all LEDs now. My HPS grows did seem to have bigger calyx and trichs but o also changed other variables. So to all the LED only growers using these full spectrum (3000K and 5000K) Samsung diodes, is it worth it???

tobh

tobh

Supporter
i've been debating this lately. with the qb boards i run (same as you basically) trich coverage is on point and the environment is dialed in. i think additional UV would be beneficial, but I can't say for sure, not sure it would have enough impact to really make things any better.

TerpiestToker420

TerpiestToker420

i've been debating this lately. with the qb boards i run (same as you basically) trich coverage is on point and the environment is dialed in. i think additional UV would be beneficial, but I can't say for sure, not sure it would have enough impact to really make things any better.
Was considering this variable to as to why my plants always take so much time to ripen and half the time never even see amber before yellow. I was either going to try to run hps alongside my LEDs to get the benefits of the uv and b from that but I think I might just invest in the agromax and see if that solves my issues

PizzaBob

PizzaBob

Was considering this variable to as to why my plants always take so much time to ripen and half the time never even see amber before yellow. I was either going to try to run hps alongside my LEDs to get the benefits of the uv and b from that but I think I might just invest in the agromax and see if that solves my issues
Yes, I should have mentioned but the ripening is an even bigger issue. Last run was first time 100% LEDs and they just wouldn’t ripen. Huge buds but calyxes didn’t swell as much and pistils wouldn’t recede like I was accustomed to.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Yes, I should have mentioned but the ripening is an even bigger issue. Last run was first time 100% LEDs and they just wouldn’t ripen. Huge buds but calyxes didn’t swell as much and pistils wouldn’t recede like I was accustomed to.
i would say that was likely due to ancillary environmental factors including possibly nutrition. LED demands a tiny bit more of just about everything -- temps, RH, calmag, base nutes... it takes a few runs to really dial in what the plants want with em. i think that's 90% why a lot of HID growers that make the switch bitch about yield and quality because it really is like switching mediums. It takes a run or three to really get everything dialed right.

VAwithonly4

VAwithonly4

I did an outdoor grow this past summer,, and I had the capability of moving the plants indoors during bad weather, and travel.

Well,, those plants REALLY did not like changing from outdoor light, to the 400 watt HID lights that I have
(I used about 2 times the number of lights that is called for, just because I have them, and the minimal number of days I had them on)

Well, when the days started getting shorter, I started supplementing the daylight with the HID light.
I then added a 315 watt ceramic metal halide light. It was not big enough to cover all of the plants, but, it did light two at a time

The difference between HID and CMH lighting is dramatic (the plants were all flowering)

If you want to add something consider spending $130 on the CMH bulb and light fixture,, I could easily see the results,,

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Ok so I have a bunch of quantum board style LEDs now with Samsung LM301Bs and a scattering of red and IR. Is it worth the money and hassle to add UV. I was leaning towards agromax pure UV based on research.

I’m all LEDs now. My HPS grows did seem to have bigger calyx and trichs but o also changed other variables. So to all the LED only growers using these full spectrum (3000K and 5000K) Samsung diodes, is it worth it???
Yes. In our grows we have seen UV increase to the point of doubling the amount of trichs we get. We have used it since. LED's do not currently have the full UV capability, until they do, we use a pair of Lizard UV bulbs.

PizzaBob

PizzaBob

I run the Agromax pure UV tubes with my quantum boards, run for an hour in the middle of lights on during flower. I think it is very beneficial.
What’s the wattage of those per sq/ft. Or what do you use in your area. With watts and size?

AKgrow

AKgrow

I have a single two foot, two bulb t5 fixture, about 50 watts. I hang it in the middle of 4ftx11ft table. That fixture worked like a charm last run over 6ftx6ft of canopy. I think it's more about exposure to UV, and less about intensity. I ran the same 50 watts in a 4x4 tent on my first grow, I don't think it worked any more or less between a 4x4 tent and 6x6 canopy in a room. Yet to see if effectiveness will decrease over a longer footprint, I am looking to maybe get another fixture to even out the spread. If I'm anywhere in the room when that thing is on, I can feel it on my skin so I'm sure everything is exposed. This is a bottom bud from the last run, trichomes on trichomes
IMG 20211203 223858311

tobh

tobh

Supporter
I have a single two foot, two bulb t5 fixture, about 50 watts. I hang it in the middle of 4ftx11ft table. That fixture worked like a charm last run over 6ftx6ft of canopy. I think it's more about exposure to UV, and less about intensity. I ran the same 50 watts in a 4x4 tent on my first grow, I don't think it worked any more or less between a 4x4 tent and 6x6 canopy in a room. Yet to see if effectiveness will decrease over a longer footprint, I am looking to maybe get another fixture to even out the spread. If I'm anywhere in the room when that thing is on, I can feel it on my skin so I'm sure everything is exposed. This is a bottom bud from the last run, trichomes on trichomes View attachment 1195536
that's that fuzzy bud i'm after right there. my shit shines, but it ain't fuzzy like that. need it in mah lyfe.

AKgrow

AKgrow

I run it for an hour right in the middle of lights on. I work up to that during veg until they are taking an hour a day before flip. I figure this simulates the sun being right overhead and highest concentrations of UVB in nature. Seems to work, so imma keep doing it. I've read of some people running them for 10 mins every hour or so.

TerpiestToker420

TerpiestToker420

Yes. In our grows we have seen UV increase to the point of doubling the amount of trichs we get. We have used it since. LED's do not currently have the full UV capability, until they do, we use a pair of Lizard UV bulbs.
You think a few of the reptile 2.0 coil uvb bulbs would do it or would it be more efficient going with the t5s?

PizzaBob

PizzaBob

I have a single two foot, two bulb t5 fixture, about 50 watts. I hang it in the middle of 4ftx11ft table. That fixture worked like a charm last run over 6ftx6ft of canopy. I think it's more about exposure to UV, and less about intensity. I ran the same 50 watts in a 4x4 tent on my first grow, I don't think it worked any more or less between a 4x4 tent and 6x6 canopy in a room. Yet to see if effectiveness will decrease over a longer footprint, I am looking to maybe get another fixture to even out the spread. If I'm anywhere in the room when that thing is on, I can feel it on my skin so I'm sure everything is exposed. This is a bottom bud from the last run, trichomes on trichomes View attachment 1195536
I have a 8x10 full canopy. So 2 or 3 of the 4’ (50 watt each) should do the trick. Thanks for the advise.

thatguy2001

thatguy2001

I have considered this as well. But my lights cover an entire 4x4 space with only slots open between the light bars. This run, I moved the LEDs much closer (after using light meter to verify that it wasn't too much). I've got great trichs now, but always looking for something to boost the yield.

The weeks to go:
Mac
IMG 20211209 182251064

Triple chocolate
IMG 20211209 182449373

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

The T8's are more efficient, but I find the plants love the reptile bulbs more. 2 bulbs in a 4x4 tent.
When you say reptile bulbs do you mean the round heat lamp bulbs that have the glowing filament? And if so what wattage do you recommend? I have a new Scorpion Diablo board and its insanely powerful but since its LED sometimes I will still see Calcium deficiencies in the more nutrient hungry strains. I would love to throw a pair of UV bulbs in my 4x4 but want to make sure I get the correct ones.

Bellbottomgenes

Bellbottomgenes

Not that I'm an expert... but I've heard both uva and uvb improve trichome production... so I would think it's totally worth it

Bellbottomgenes

Bellbottomgenes

When you say reptile bulbs do you mean the round heat lamp bulbs that have the glowing filament? And if so what wattage do you recommend? I have a new Scorpion Diablo board and its insanely powerful but since its LED sometimes I will still see Calcium deficiencies in the more nutrient hungry strains. I would love to throw a pair of UV bulbs in my 4x4 but want to make sure I get the correct ones.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Hang them in opposite corners.

Top Bottom