iso and a slow cooker

• Thread starter pharmaseed
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

pharmaseed

Hey guys i was wondering if anyone out there has ever tried using a slow cooker aka a crock-pot to cook off there ISO. I have never done a oil run before and was thinking about using one since there pretty similar to a rice cooker and if so what temp setting did you use and for how long approx. will it take to evaporate a full pot ?? Trying to stay safe!

C

CAPO

no...but i would do it on low and put it outside if at all possible.
you could finish it up in a double boil once it gets real close to pure oil.
you get into trouble with alot of flammable fumes in the air .
be safe.

Stinkyguy420

Stinkyguy420

I tried the microwave method trust me it works just use lowest setting and watch it cook off the iso and wah lah you got oil,but im trying a slower easier method i got the meds made the oil now im letting the iso vape off naturally its the biggest batch ive made yet i used 2ozs shake and 20zs bud of casey jones and querkle mix here it is fellas ..:icon_animal26::icon_animal26:
http://www.invalid.com/members/stinkyguy420-albums-homegrown-socal805-picture108049-oilmix.jpg
http://www.invalid.com/members/stinkyguy420-albums-homegrown-socal805-picture108052-oil.jpg
http://www.invalid.com/members/stinkyguy420-albums-homegrown-socal805-picture108051-oilstink.jpg
:icon_animal26::hi::icon_animal26: Dude this is alot of oil i wanna dip some buds into it when its done yummy!!

Graywolf

Graywolf

Hey guys i was wondering if anyone out there has ever tried using a slow cooker aka a crock-pot to cook off there ISO. I have never done a oil run before and was thinking about using one since there pretty similar to a rice cooker and if so what temp setting did you use and for how long approx. will it take to evaporate a full pot ?? Trying to stay safe!

Depends on the slow cooker. Many don't have variable temperature controls beyond low, medium, and high.

I use an electric fondue pot full of canola oil like a double boiler, because it has good temperature control. Deep fryers usually also have good temperature controls.

I just set my container of oil to be cooked off on a jar lid to isolate it from the bottom in the oil bath. I use a mercury lab thermometer and set the oil temp at ~230/240F. A good candy thermometer will work as well.

I cook it until all bubbling activity stops, even if I swirl the container in the oil or poke around with my trusty scientific grade bamboo skewer or chop stick.

Almost all of my oil goes into oral meds, so take this extra purge and decarboxylation step with a grain of salt.

When I am extracting with ISO, I also add Ethanol (190 proof Everclear) to the mix and cook that off as well. It boils at a higher temperature than ISO and helps dissipate it, once it reaches azeotropic balance.

GW

P

pharmaseed

Thanks for the tips guys the cooker i have has high med and warm so i guess ill start it low and see what happens temp wise i have a cooking thermometer ill play with the setting to see what gives it a steady 200 degrees. Any one know any tips to keep the oil thinner i have noticed some comes out like sludge and others are a motor oil like witch is what im trying to achieve.

P

pharmaseed

So i figured id keep u guys updated i decided to go get a steamer\ deep-fryer( thanks graywolf) in one it has a temp control and is made of no stick teflon. i also bought a probe thermometer which has a temp setting so it will beep once it hits the desired temp just incase the heat climbs to fast for extra safety!

Graywolf

Graywolf

Thanks for the tips guys the cooker i have has high med and warm so i guess ill start it low and see what happens temp wise i have a cooking thermometer ill play with the setting to see what gives it a steady 200 degrees. Any one know any tips to keep the oil thinner i have noticed some comes out like sludge and others are a motor oil like witch is what im trying to achieve.

Interesting question, which I am organizing an experiment to try and sort out.

So far it looks like oil from buds usually has a higher viscosity than oil from leaf. It also looks like to some degree, viscosity is strain specific and that you can affect viscosity some by processing.

I have just set aside two early-mid harvest (80% clouded trichomes) God Bud ladies for the experiment and will extract oil from various mixtures from the two and compare viscosity. I will post the results when I've completed the experiment.

I currently make an oral runny leaf oil out of mixed leaves and popcorn, by cooking the BHO extraction in a 240F oil bath until it is bubble free. It varies from about 30 weight oil to about 250 weight depending on the strain and the ratio of popcorn.

GW

P

pharmaseed

I wish i could give u some input but its my first time i have ever done a oil run. I used keif leaf and a ltl popcorn this run it was prob about a pound total and id say i got abut a 1 oz of extremely sludgy oil it has the consistency of tar(if anyone knows how to get the oil thinner please share). The strand i used was chocolope. so its some damn potent oil. After i sucked up the oil i put 4 oz olive oil in the cooker and let it get warm all the excess thc mixed with the oil nicely and i got some real dark oil for cooking. Do u know what the dosing should be for the straight oil i have a few patients who really want to try it out but i have never ingested it just thrown a glob on a bud and smoked. Im guessing its prob 1/2 a ml to 1 ml not sure though and deff dont want to be the guinea pig.

Graywolf

Graywolf

I have to titrate every batch, but just start with one drop.

Using my decarboxylated ~70% BHO mix, on average it takes about one drop for a low tolerance person and three drops for a high tolerance person.

Test results show more tolerance on the upper end than the lower one. One drop is more likely to totally discombobulate a low tolerance person, than a double dose is to do more than make a high tolerance person drowsy.

GW

C

CAPO

Interesting...
Props Graywolf for your knowledge with oil.
I'm trying to help a person with cancer in the lungs and throat.
This method of BHO, is it mixed then with 30% of the "alcohol derived" oil and heated?
It sounds nice and strong, but I thought the BHO would harden back up.
[Do you have any ideas on how to go from an oil to a strong tincture or sublingual?]
The BHO sounds nice and strong, how would you recommend applying it orally (out of what type of container?)

Stinkyguy420

Stinkyguy420

Sorry guys just a update so i got inpatient yeah that happens ,so i threw it in to the mic today is day three so i left in there about 5 min and wah lah nice golden goo!!TRUST ME THIS REALLY WORKS!! http://www.invalid.com/members/stinkyguy420-albums-homegrown-socal805-picture108512-oily.jpg :icon_animal26::icon_animal26::banana1sv6::bong-hits::confused0059::giggle

C

CAPO

It does look golden, stink!

It looks thick, how'd ya end up workin it?

*Never mind on that BHO tincture from my last post as my friend dealing with cancer is eating just fine. I plan on batching it up with butter and veg oil.

I'm thinking about doin some oil runs with some Ethanol and slowly reducing the last little bit of alcohol by evaporation or extremely low heat. Then, not letting the last bit of alcohol escape, fill some dropper bottles.

bud good

bud good

ive used a coffee maker they work great but ive never made that much

C

CAPO

That's awesome, I'm lucky enough to have an ISO2 that still works good, kinda the same in a way.

bud good

bud good

ive heard of people adding hemp oil to hash oil to make it more appliable im no expert but i imagine olive or veg oil would be just as good ve heard of people just washing the bud/leaf real quick just to dissolve the glands works well and gives you a amber/golden oil the green shit 'll have you cuaffing up massive black loogies and bongloads will pass you out, ne ways i just boil off all the grain alcohol(everclear) in a coffee maker you gotta keep a real good eye on it at 90%

bud good

bud good

used to make alot of this crap when i couldnt get dro met my gf on it too i was mad baked and thought she was someone else :P

I

Inuit

When I am extracting with ISO, I also add Ethanol (190 proof Everclear) to the mix and cook that off as well. It boils at a higher temperature than ISO and helps dissipate it, once it reaches azeotropic balance.

GW

Ummmm, sorry, but this is not correct. Ethanols BP is 78.4C while isopropanol's BP is 82.4C, so the ethanol will be gone before the ispropanol is.

I used to use ethanol exclusively for my oils, but have recently determined that 99% or greater iso works really well. If you're not impatient, it will all dry out well, and a few drops of ethanol can be added to reduce viscosity and make it more liquidy.

Best of luck.

I

Graywolf

Graywolf

Ummmm, sorry, but this is not correct. Ethanols BP is 78.4C while isopropanol's BP is 82.4C, so the ethanol will be gone before the ispropanol is.

I used to use ethanol exclusively for my oils, but have recently determined that 99% or greater iso works really well. If you're not impatient, it will all dry out well, and a few drops of ethanol can be added to reduce viscosity and make it more liquidy.

Best of luck.

I

You are absolutely correct! My error on Iso boiling point, thanks for catching it.

My memory did not serve me well and Iso does have a higher boiling point than Ethel. In my ancient, befuddled, and demented brain, I remembered Isopropyl as being between Methanol and Ethanol in boiling point.

The point is still valid however in principle. Because of azeotropic equilibrium. The ethanol will help purge the remaining Iso. A better choice might be a few drops of water to bump the boiling point up even further however, for the reasons that I originally stated, but incorrectly supported.

Good idea on adding a few drops of ethanol to keep thick oil flowing. It takes less than 10% by volume and flashes off quick. If you keep the alcohol percent low enough, because of the cannabis oil dilution, even 190 proof tincture is no longer 190 proof, or a high enough proof to burn the tongue when used sublingually

My BHO sublingual stays liquid at ambient, and contains no alcohol, which many of the patients I support prefer or insist on.

Here is a picture of a batch of raw oil before adulterating, sloshed before cooling to show color.

GW

945 gram BHO run
C

CAPO

A few drops of water to raise the boiling point makes perfect sense.

...so the oil itself helps the BHO to stay "liquid"...and your oil is more "fluid" due to you purposefully choosing strains with a more fluid quality at ambient temps?

Does anyone have an opinion about the viscosity of real honey and it being added to an oil to ease the use with an eye dropper?
I'm speaking of real Tupelo Honey, not the sugar-water fed bee honey, but wild bee honey!

Top Bottom