Issues with Plants Vegging with Gavita 1700e

• Thread starter Cannasurfing
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cannasurfing

Cannasurfing

Hi all! New here and just started my first grow. I have a veg room with 12 sunsytem 315 MH and a flower room with 18 gavita 1700e LEDs. Since this is my first run, I wanted to split my plants and veg half with each type of light to see the differences and which I like better for future a buildout. After about a week in each room, with the same feeding schedule, the plants with MH lights are looking great, but the plants with the LEDs look like shit. For the first few days, I had 6 of the gavitas on at 55%, about 3 feet above the plants and the outer edges of the leaves were browning, so I thought the light might be too intense. Turned off 2 lights and left 4 on. A couple days later, the plants look worse, so I turned off 2 more lights and raised the lights to about 5 feet above the plants. Anyone have any ideas as to why I’m having such opposite results this far. Any insight is appreciated. Thank you
Sorry for the bad pic quality, I took videos and these are screen captures.
Issues with plants vegging with gavita 1700e

Flower room with gavita 1700e
Issues with plants vegging with gavita 1700e 2

sshz

sshz

Happy to try and help but I need some info:

1. Strain
2. medium
3. fertilizer ppm and pH
4. temps and humidity
5. watering how often and how much

And anything else you can think of. The more you give me, the better suggestions I'll have. I'll help you up to a point, but this appears to be a big operation and your best bet is bringing someone in quickly to advise you before you lose the crop.

But know, these LED's push plants hard, so if you're not dialed in, issues will be more pronounced. I'm thinking you probably have the same issues under the other lights, just milder at this point.

So you started with 18 Gavita's??????? OK then. LOL I'm restraining myself from saying anything negative.

Cannasurfing

Cannasurfing

Happy to try and help but I need some info:

1. Strain
2. medium
3. fertilizer ppm and pH
4. temps and humidity
5. watering how often and how much

And anything else you can think of. The more you give me, the better suggestions I'll have. I'll help you up to a point, but this appears to be a big operation and your best bet is bringing someone in quickly to advise you before you lose the crop.

But know, these LED's push plants hard, so if you're not dialed in, issues will be more pronounced. I'm thinking you probably have the same issues under the other lights, just milder at this point.

So you started with 18 Gavita's??????? OK then. LOL I'm restraining myself from saying anything negative.

1. Now and Later
2. Soil
3. 600, 6.2
4. 82F/64-68%
5. Got them last Friday, watered 3 times, once with nutes, roughly 250 mL each time. They’re in 1 gallon pots.

lol well it’s really 2 rooms with 9 gavitas each but 18 total, yes. Thank you for your restraint 🤣

sshz

sshz

1. You mean just regular dirt? As in soil, or soiless soil like pro mix?

2. I don't know the strain, is it indica/sativa/hybrid?

3. How old are they?

4. Did you get the clones in rockwool cubes or dirt or whatever?

5. So you watered 3x in 5 days?????

6. When did you first spot issues?

If I have to play 50 questions, you're plants will be dead by the time I understand everything and can help. Is this your first crop, how long have you been growing, have you had success before, etc., etc.

sshz

sshz

I'll need some close up pic's, the leaf clawing is usually caused by over watering. It could be many thing right now, including insects.

Cannasurfing

Cannasurfing

1. You mean just regular dirt? As in soil, or soiless soil like pro mix?

2. I don't know the strain, is it indica/sativa/hybrid?

3. How old are they?

4. Did you get the clones in rockwool cubes or dirt or whatever?

5. So you watered 3x in 5 days?????

6. When did you first spot issues?

If I have to play 50 questions, you're plants will be dead by the time I understand everything and can help. Is this your first crop, how long have you been growing, have you had success before, etc., etc.
1. Promix
2. Hybrid
3. About 3 weeks
4. Got them in dirt in small cups
5. 3 times in 6 days...judging by the number of questions marks I take this is not good.
6. This past monday

I am a true beginner, first time, but I am doing this with my buddy who has experience and had really good success vegging with 315s and then flowering with double ended HPS. This is his first time using LED though, for either flower Or veg. He is convinced it’s too much light intensity, since once before he had a similar issue trying to veg small plants with all of his lights on, but he isn’t the type to post on a forum like this, he’s convinced raising the lights and turning some off will solve the problem. Needless to say, I am not convinced.
We also have co2 burners in the rooms, set to 800ppm.

Last edited:
sshz

sshz

First off, it's not the LED's, especially if you are runninng them at 55%....... get that out of your head. No doubt you are in trouble, and if it was me- I would ditch the grow and start over. But lets assume you want to push forward with the hopes of things improving. One thing you'll learn over time is once a grow has issues, yield tends to suffer in the end. I just chucked a whole room of 24 seedlings because I didn't like the way they looked and had no vigor- sometimes it's best to just move on.

When you transplant and introduce new things, plants need time to adjust to their new situation. They are stressed, and showing some ill affects. I've run Pro-Mix everywhere between 6.1-6.5 and 6.3 is ideal I believe so raise the pH up. Stop the co2, until they are healthy- you are pushing them which is making thing worse.

Post some closeups, let me take a look at the leaves and we'll go from there. Also, what kind of fertilizer are you using and are you adding Cal/Mag? Also, what's your water source?

Cannasurfing

Cannasurfing

First off, it's not the LED's, especially if you are runninng them at 55%....... get that out of your head. No doubt you are in trouble, and if it was me- I would ditch the grow and start over. But lets assume you want to push forward with the hopes of things improving. One thing you'll learn over time is once a grow has issues, yield tends to suffer in the end. I just chucked a whole room of 24 seedlings because I didn't like the way they looked and had no vigor- sometimes it's best to just move on.

When you transplant and introduce new things, plants need time to adjust to their new situation. They are stressed, and showing some ill affects. I've run Pro-Mix everywhere between 6.1-6.5 and 6.3 is ideal I believe so raise the pH up. Stop the co2, until they are healthy- you are pushing them which is making thing worse.

Post some closeups, let me take a look at the leaves and we'll go from there. Also, what kind of fertilizer are you using and are you adding Cal/Mag? Also, what's your water source?
Thanks for the input man. Just stopped the co2. I didn’t think it was the LED but that’s really the only difference between the two rooms other than the type of AC unit. Will raise the pH to 6.3. Using aptus nutrients. Water source is Well water run through RO. Did not add CalMag to buffer because research I did on the forum the nutes said the Aptus massboost basically replaces the need for CalMag. Got any thoughts on that?

sshz

sshz

Reverse Osmosis strips out all the Cal and Mg, I also use r.o. water and add 10ml per gallon to all water hitting the plants. I'll look up Aptus, I'm not familar with that brand. Plants under LED typically need more Mg anyway, so I'm guessing that's one of your issues.

OK, so are you using MassBoost, which is their Cal/Mag? Exactly what are you using in their fertilzer line?

Phenophiend909

Phenophiend909

If your leds are 3ft away u should be cranked up to 100%. Strains that are not used to leds tend get used to intesity which leds have none of. Also read your runoff. Maybe they just need a good flush.

Phenophiend909

Phenophiend909

Also if your running temps at 82 your humidity should be up in the 70’s.
323494F9 6A1D 43F6 BC65 D6D53B84270E

sshz

sshz

This guy is having plant problems........ you don't want to push these sick plants with high intensity until they recover some.

Also, regarding that chart- is that with or without co2? I run lower than the humidity stated, as I'd worry about mold and droop. I generally won't run above 60%.........

Harvard

Harvard

They under 24 hours of light? My plants didn’t really like 24 hours under high intensity LED’s coming from t5’s. Night time temps in mid 60’s or less isn’t good either.

Phenophiend909

Phenophiend909

This guy is having plant problems........ you don't want to push these sick plants with high intensity until they recover some.

Also, regarding that chart- is that with or without co2? I run lower than the humidity stated, as I'd

Also, regarding that chart- is that with or without co2? I run lower than the humidity stated, as I'd worry about mold and droop. I generally won't run above 60%.........
Its a vpd chart. Doesnt matter about co2.
Only way you get mold is if your humidity swing from day to night is more than 5%. As long as you can control your humidity spike your good. No mold.
Leds are not intensive by the way. Hid lights are.
An nowhere on this thread states to check runoff? Hmm how are you supposed to diagnose a sick plant without reading runoff?

Anthem

Anthem

Your plants are now in lock out from a lack of Cal Mag. Plants under the Gavita's will consume larger quantities of Calcium and Magnesium then plants use CMH or HPS or MH. If it was my grow I would start over or if you want to save the plants you are going to have to flush them well. I would do just water and Cal Mag but if pro mix (never used it) does not have any nutrients in it like soil. I would add a light feed at like 200 PPM and just wait until the water dries back and post pics again at that time.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

VPD charts are dangerous to just grab and use.... you should be calculating your own chart if you are going to use VPD because I promise that chart is far to high on the RH for an LED grow.

Co2 will make a big difference in the VPD you need. Increased levels of co2 reduce transpiration rates and will need to be run at a higher temp and a lower humidity (higher VPD) to make up for this.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

If your leds are 3ft away u should be cranked up to 100%. Strains that are not used to leds tend get used to intesity which leds have none of. Also read your runoff. Maybe they just need a good flush.
Absolutely agree with @sshz you do NOT want to blast sick or struggling plants with light.... it will only make them worse.

No clue what ya mean about LED having no intensity... this is absolutely not true and why LED outperforms HID because it provides much more light intensity per watt

Last edited:
Heynow

Heynow

Could be overall root temp and chronic overwatering causing lockout. The led doesn't heat the room the way an hid does. The plants aren't transpiring the way a traditional grow does.

Get those buckets on Styrofoam, off the direct floor

Top Bottom