Issues with topping vs not topping

• Thread starter Ilike2grow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Frostie069

Frostie069

Aqua man.. tbh we need more ppl like you on this board. I really appreciate any advice I get and this board has helped me tremendously. But I do say it would be really awesome if I was able to come to your place and see how you do it. I think something like that would be a huge help. This way I can just learn to do everything the right way.
Can I come too.
I'll bring the beers!!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Aqua man.. tbh we need more ppl like you on this board. I really appreciate any advice I get and this board has helped me tremendously. But I do say it would be really awesome if I was able to come to your place and see how you do it. I think something like that would be a huge help. This way I can just learn to do everything the right way.
No right way brother… just different ways

J

Jaxmaximus

Superb post @aquqman ....everyone wants an answer....but the one they want and don't give people an answer they don't want. Good thing there are no absolutes in weed growing or life. I believe @Moshmen, @1diesel1, and you do everything you possibly can to help people. I say bless you and thank you from the bottom of my heart. My world would be so much more isolated and lonely without the farmers on this site.
This is not the answer I wanted. Could you please post the answer I'm looking for?
I'm only on my 3rd growing season. The first grow was mostly a disaster. My first grow was soil, I topped and low stressed. Worked it all through elastic netting. The yield was excellent BUT with zero experience I let my entire harvest MOLD during the curing! Not to worry. It was nothing that a garbage bag and waste removal guys couldn't solve.
With a broken heart I started my 2nd grow. This time, rockwool, clay pebble, Vivosun DWC (x3). No topping. Pruning, LST, and no screen. SAME YIELD. A bit more popcorn but not a big difference.
3rd grow is flowering. I switch to nutes specifically designed for hydro. pH was much more stable. I expect a similar yield to the last grow.
Conclusion: There is a benefit to topping, pruning and spreading but is it big enough to justify the effort? Still a newbee, but I'm preferring a more hands off approach for now.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

This is not the answer I wanted. Could you please post the answer I'm looking for?
I'm only on my 3rd growing season. The first grow was mostly a disaster. My first grow was soil, I topped and low stressed. Worked it all through elastic netting. The yield was excellent BUT with zero experience I let my entire harvest MOLD during the curing! Not to worry. It was nothing that a garbage bag and waste removal guys couldn't solve.
With a broken heart I started my 2nd grow. This time, rockwool, clay pebble, Vivosun DWC (x3). No topping. Pruning, LST, and no screen. SAME YIELD. A bit more popcorn but not a big difference.
3rd grow is flowering. I switch to nutes specifically designed for hydro. pH was much more stable. I expect a similar yield to the last grow.
Conclusion: There is a benefit to topping, pruning and spreading but is it big enough to justify the effort? Still a newbee, but I'm preferring a more hands off approach for now.
Ill be topping a bit this grow for even canopy. If i had the plant count id build a system to run SOG

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
One day when i get situated id love to throw a farm meet and greet party over a weekend or something
A convention is needed, Are there any national weed conventions...I'm thinking Vegas, a big open venue with growers, consumers & accessory makers.....IE: Pipe Carvers, Bong Makers and the likes. All inclusive, air,hotel,open bar & all the smoke we can handle, One fixed price with upgrades available for the well to do....I'll start to budget now.....Come on, some of you young guys could set it up....tax deductible business venture.......😆
😆

HighChiefClones

HighChiefClones

Supporter
What do you mean by bigger harvest?

Bigger buds?

Total weight?

Total saleable size bud?

Imo topping doesn’t increase yield. It provides more even bud size and distribution leading to less popcorn waste and more mid size colas.

Topping in itself is an effective way to get better distribution of bud and make better use of a light source thats only from above to get better overall photosynthesis of the plant as a whole.

In cannabis nothing is as simple as saying topping increases yield… and while it may in some cases that doesn’t mean it will.

This is a frustration i see daily. People have been led to believe if you do this then that happens and if you do that then this happens.

In cannabis the answer is almost always it depends and people need to back off with the claims.

More light will give you bigger buds….ONLY if your capable for providing the extra demands that that creates.

We have to stop this all or none thought process, definitive answers for one variable and start thinking in terms of multiple variables.

When you have an equation that requires 50 inputs to give answer and you have 1 input dont have a chance of getting the right answer.

Tldr: is topping beneficial? Yes it can be for the right reasons and sometimes that will mean an increase in yields

Is topping beneficial in every situation? Absolutely not…. And sometimes it may hurt yields

This is not directed at anyone but rather everyone to stop and think about how complex these plants are.

There is very few if an easy answers when growing these plants.

I want to see everyone succeed and thats why the long winded post.

If someone tells you something question the why, how, and when it works before you believe it.

We are becoming all about the instant gratification and answers these days

@Ilike2grow im sorry your impression didn’t work out and if you like i can try to get help you understand some of the intricacies involved in topping if you like
Totally agree with this 👏🏼

Ilike2grow

Ilike2grow

I just checked on my plants… I thought they were close to being harvested. I waited a week after I thought they’d be done like I was told. But during the last couple days they started getting new growth all over them. Is this the time they start fattening up for harvest? It just has a lot of new white pistil’s everywhere. There’s a couple fox tails to. Do I harvest them now or wait for the new growth to ripen?

Ilike2grow

Ilike2grow

One day when i get situated id love to throw a farm meet and greet party over a weekend or something
That would be really cool, getting the whole at home growers at a meeting or convention. Think of all the new ideas and all the different ppl you can meet. That would be a great idea if someone could do the logistics ect..

Ilike2grow

Ilike2grow

It is killer here now you can walk into a coffee shop like Amsterdam....nice food and scenery
Oh wow, that’s really cool. I didn’t know Thailand had rec. it sounds like a really great place to live. The only problem with hosting a convention there would be worrying if China is going to drop bombs on you. Someone really needs to let China know that Thailand is their own country and to leave them alone. I think the only reason they want Thailand is to get their chip making abilities and all the factories there. I seriously doubt China is thinking about the citizens.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I think y
Oh wow, that’s really cool. I didn’t know Thailand had rec. it sounds like a really great place to live. The only problem with hosting a convention there would be worrying if China is going to drop bombs on you. Someone really needs to let China know that Thailand is their own country and to leave them alone. I think the only reason they want Thailand is to get their chip making abilities and all the factories there. I seriously doubt China is thinking about the citizens.
I think you mean Taiwan. China isn't after Thailand.......that we know of.......Do you have an inside line to the Chairman's ambitions?

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
I’ve been just supercropping the main stem here and there to get the side branches to even up with the main.

Top Bottom