• Tagged users None
chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Jerry

Natural

Natural

Dug this one up for ya chickenman. Everybody knows Country Joe..he did that song, fixin to die rag..
"And it's one, two, three, four
What are we fighting for ?
Don't ask me, I don't give a damn,
Next stop is Vietnam;
And it's five, six, seven, eight
Open up the pearly gates,
Well there ain't no time to wonder why,
Whoopee! we're all gonna die."

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Dug this one up for ya chickenman. Everybody knows Country Joe..he did that song, fixin to die rag..
"And it's one, two, three, four
What are we fighting for ?
Don't ask me, I don't give a damn,
Next stop is Vietnam;
And it's five, six, seven, eight
Open up the pearly gates,
Well there ain't no time to wonder why,
Whoopee! we're all gonna die."

Thank you for sharing this, that is not one I had ever heard before. Jerry loved music, I am not sure there has ever been any one who loved music as much as he did. He played it with anyone, anywhere he could. Such a truly special man.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Never met the big man but I met and made friends with Pete Rowan and Vassar.
Attended rocky grass for many of the early years and our camp set up was the Bomb. Incredible 3 day feast....
Over the years the word spread and we fed folks like Doc Watson, Sam Bush, we still get together when he's in town, Hot rize boys, Del M Coury band, Tony rice, we fed a lot of them and smoked em up as well.
BBQ chicken ribs, kegs of good beer, was drunk on my ass the whole 3 days and mushrooming like a fool. The guzzling gourmet.
Was a legend but the times changed and rocky grass got huge and it just was not the same.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

CM, sounds like I need to get out your way and cook out with you. Nothing more I like than to cook up some food while toking some top quality herb. And with those folks coming through, the food almost seems secondary.

Natural

Natural

Glad to share man...I found my way to front row @ every show. The wall of speakers made every soul dance in the entire place...some incredible experiences.
I spent a decade in the Blue Ridge and caught a bluegrass bug. Got to see Rowan and Rice monthly..Doc Watson was around local too. I dig a lot of the early New Riders Of The Purple Sage and Old And In The Way...more so now, than when JerBear was still around.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
That's me with our famous wheelbarrow from Rockygrass,. We brought it along every year to haul around camp supplies, beer, and lots of folks who needed a ride...Fer hire for a beer Just look at that get up beyond hillbilly..

DSC 0261

Lined with a sheet and blanket for human transport..

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

This is not Jerry or the Dead, but it is more than appropriate for this thread. It is the Dark Star Orchestra sets from Gathering of the Vibes 2005. To say it was just Dark Star Orchestra would be selling it short, it is so many people who played with Jerry or were inspired by Jerry, including David Nelson, Peter Rowan and Melvin Seals, along with DSO. This was the celebration jam commemorating the 10 year anniversary of Jerry's passing. Two amazing sets that absolutely channeled the energy of Jerry.

https://archive.org/details/dso2005-08-13.akg392.flac16

Natural

Natural

wow man..Gans and Keller too! I used to be way into DSO when John Kadlecik was heading them up..have never seen them with Nelson. I swear I've been fooled before when asked what show I was listening to..only to find out it was John playing guitar..and not Jerry. Made them much more than a tribute band to me. Guess Bobby and the boys felt the same way..obviously.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

wow man..Gans and Keller too! I used to be way into DSO when John Kadlecik was heading them up..have never seen them with Nelson. I swear I've been fooled before when asked what show I was listening to..only to find out it was John playing guitar..and not Jerry. Made them much more than a tribute band to me. Guess Bobby and the boys felt the same way..obviously.

It's been a few years since I have seen DSO myself. But I always thought the same thing, they used to really sound exactly like the dead. I think even the best deadheads were fooled once in a while by DSO. They were never a tribute band to me either; they were more like Grateful Dead reenactors.

That show with so many people coming out was really great. But the whole weekend was really special. There was such a great vibe around the whole festival. Everywhere you went were kind and happy people and everyone was getting along. I went up by myself, but I was not alone once I got there. People were eager to just hang out with anyone and everyone, because we were all there for a singular purpose; to commemorate Jerry. So that show really was the cherry on top of the already awesome sundae.

This is my contribution to the thread today. Unfortunately the audio cuts out after minute 53 or so. It's unfortunate any time Jerry is cut off, but he and David were absolutely on fire this show. But what is there is awesome, so its still worth listening. Honestly while I am a definite deadhead, many times I would rather listen to Jerry play with Grisman. Something about David brought out the absolute musician in Jerry. His voice was always so sweet when they played together and his guitar simply sang. Jerry always made playing the guitar look effortless, but with David the music just flowed out of him and through the guitar. I could go on like this for days, but I won't.

Top Bottom