Jerry

• Thread starter chickenman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Natural

Natural

ya know I really don't go in for Donna shows that much..might be my age, or the Dead cat...saw her with DSO and she does bring a magic..so good on her.
I cannot let my b's & s's miss out on this one...I may be Brent, but not broken, Weir all in this together, and I want you to get your Phil too. And when the ferryman comes I want to pay your Bill from my Hart to yours. So Jerry on my friends, on and on...

Natural

Natural

10888841 891679794198537 6029546614093384542 n

Canman

Canman

Good morning guys. I saw Jerry at Shoreline amphitheater in fall of 1987. I was a freshman at Chico State and went with a few dorm mates. Trip of a lifetime literally. Even though I was only 18 I had been going to heavy metal concerts in SoCal for a couple of years. What an experience the dead show was seeing guys jam without running and screaming crazy all over the stage lol. Jerry did a song towards the end of the show that I later learned was called "Space" or the Wheel?...blew my mind. This was my one and only dead show. My question is, was this a "special" show/set. ?? How did it rank among the other shows??? Thanks. Canman

Natural

Natural

Good morning guys. I saw Jerry at Shoreline amphitheater in fall of 1987. I was a freshman at Chico State and went with a few dorm mates. Trip of a lifetime literally. Even though I was only 18 I had been going to heavy metal concerts in SoCal for a couple of years. What an experience the dead show was seeing guys jam without running and screaming crazy all over the stage lol. Jerry did a song towards the end of the show that I later learned was called "Space" or the Wheel?...blew my mind. This was my one and only dead show. My question is, was this a "special" show/set. ?? How did it rank among the other shows??? Thanks. Canman

They did a 3 night set in October 2nd, 3rd, and 4th of '87 at Shoreline. Every show I saw was pretty special my man. At least not like any other concerts I ever attended...lots of fun!
I think you might have seen the one on the 2nd which was a Friday night. Check the link for the setlist and recording. My first show, I got a Cold Rain and Snow to start too..funny it was the 4th of July and it was 120* out. o_O
'87 was after Jerry's coma and he had to learn how to play all over again..and it made for some very special shows.

http://www.gdao.org/items/show/292737

Canman

Canman

Yeah Baby. Thanks for the playlist. Friday night it was. Geez. That was my one and only dead show. Memories from that night are:

The parking lot pre concert of course. C'mon. Put it this way lol, we pull into our parking spot at shoreline, get out and stretch after the drive from Chico. Say hello to the deadheads partying next to us already. Guy says hello. Within 2 minutes I'm sucking on a balloon he gave me out of a tank he had in the bed of his truck. Now that I think about it there were a lot of people around his car with balloons lol j/k. Anyways I took a big old hit and thank God I was holding onto his car with one hand because my vision went all the way sideways. Within 5 minutes of arriving I got the essentials. A quarter sheet of blotter for 50$ I tore off 2 and the fun began. A had eaten quite a few "musical notes" that we would get in Ventura but this blotter. OMG.. Anyways I remember that the deadheads were sharing dinner/food with each other seemingly oblivious that a CONcert was about to begin. Just enjoying each other's company. And no.. I did not see any hacky sacks. Anyways. I eventually went thru the gates to find my seat stopping to purchase a Señor Lopez poncho off to the right when you walk in. When Jerry did that long instumental where he started slow teasing then ripping (space/wheel) the crowd went nuts laughing. One last memory. There was this guy in the crowd middle section a little up. He had an infant with him. He danced by himself with this rhythmic arms twirling and then in between song he would hug his baby. Tripped me the fuck out. Lol. Canman

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Was there that night...36 years ago.....
Got into Winterland as soon as doors opened., up front on floor, holding spots till friends arrived. shortly after settling in these 2 kids show up carrying a case of beer each, I knew some thing was up.
I told them sit down, just knew they had beer. They said they were walking down post street and a door opened and they followed others in thru door.
They had no idea this was the show of the decade. Told them what was up, traded almost all their beer for shrooms and weed and were all set up with Coors tall boys....

Last edited:
SpiderK

SpiderK

In a match made in hippie heaven, Phish guitarist Trey Anastasio will join the four living original members of The Grateful Dead for three 50th-anniversary shows July 3-5 at Soldier Field in Chicago. The Dead's last performance withJerry Garcia, who died in August 1995, was at the same 55,000-seat capacity venue on July 9, 1995.

The sense of closure is no accident: These shows are likely to be the finale for the "core four," as the surviving members are now known: Bob Weir, 67; Phil Lesh, 74; Mickey Hart, 71; and Bill Kreutzmann, 68. "These will be the last shows with the four of us together," Weir tells Billboard.

"That's why we're doing it in Chicago," says Peter Shapiro, 42, who's producing the shows in association with AEG-owned Madison House Presents. "They're the great American rock'n'roll band returning to where it ended, 20 years later."

SpiderK

SpiderK

I did not make it inside soldier field at the last show.

found a van with wippets & i could hear the music just fine from the parking lot ..... could hear the balloons being filled as we walked by and the dudes had three tanks.

Top Bottom