John Galt's First Grow

• Thread starter JohnGalt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JohnGalt

JohnGalt

Decided to create a log of my first grow. Wanted to create a dedicated thread of the expedition for me to visualize my own progress. I'm sure many of you also benefit from this as well. Through the journey I also hope for many helpful tips and comments.

:boogie: Now we start

There are three rooms being used. There will be two veg/flower rooms and a clone/mother room. Both of the v/f rooms will be using the EBB and Grow system and a 1k watt bulb with reflector. Both v/f will have dedicated C02 enrichment. In the progress of building ^ shaped tents to maximize the light as there will be 24 sites for each room. Can't decide on Mylar or white poly. From what I've read Mylar is slightly more reflective but not sure I can deal with the mirror finish without getting dizzy.

And of course pics to keep you all entertained.

John galts first grow

John galts first grow 2

John galts first grow 3

John galts first grow 4

John galts first grow 5

John galts first grow 6

John galts first grow 7

John galts first grow 8

John galts first grow 9

John galts first grow 10

I'll update this thread regularly as the house continues to take shape.

nMEEKS

nMEEKS

Horticulturist
Supporter
Very cool A-Frame design, it looks like you thought this through before getting into things! I will be here spectating.

-Meeks

JohnGalt

JohnGalt

very nice cant wait to see what happens

Thanks. I can't wait either.

Very cool A-Frame design, it looks like you thought this through before getting into things! I will be here spectating.

-Meeks

I must confess I chose that particular design for the sturdiness aspect but after examining the design closely I saw that it mimicked the reflector nearly perfect. I like that better than the rectangle tents that are sold. The "A" design uses more space and a lot of the space is unusable due to the angle where the sides meet the floor. So there are flaws but I'll let you know if it works out. Considered just painting the walls but that's even less efficient use of the light. There was thought behind the chaos. If my decisions were the best for my setup has yet to be discovered.

nMEEKS

nMEEKS

Horticulturist
Supporter
Don't be afraid to change something now, if you are already forecasting an obvious problem, it will only get harder to fix with mature plants inside. I always wondered about the A-frame design myself, but you may have found a clear flaw by seeing the setup in person and noticing the low height on the sides that I never considered. Whether you keep that design or not, good luck and keep us informed along the way!

-Meeks

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
don't be afraid to change something now, if you are already forecasting an obvious problem, it will only get harder to fix with mature plants inside. I always wondered about the a-frame design myself, but you may have found a clear flaw by seeing the setup in person and noticing the low height on the sides that i never considered. Whether you keep that design or not, good luck and keep us informed along the way!

-meeks

yuuuuup!

B

bluewaves

I'm in for the ride ...still love me some ebb and gro...

JohnGalt

JohnGalt

Sorry for the lack of updates mates. Progress slowed down while waiting on the seeds. I did throw a couple of bag seeds in soil in the mother room. My thinking is that I can let them grow and pull a few cuttings off them to try out the Ebb and Flow system while the good genetics are on the way. Thought it was a good idea to try to do some testing seeing as I'm a complete novice. The tents turned out amazing I think. As I have already mentioned the sides will limit the height of the perimeter plants. The scrog I have planned will solve this though. I still need to put poly on the mothers/clone frame and build a platform for the EZ clone. (Not to mention countless other nitpicking things.) I hope to me more motivated when The Dr. finally delivers. Viewer beware, I'm no photographer.

GR 031

GR 032

GR 033

GR 034

GR 035

GR 036

GR 037

GR 038

GR 039

GR 040

GR 041

GR 042

GR 043

GR 044

GR 046

JohnGalt

JohnGalt

I put the seedlings under the 8 lamp t5 today. Think I should have waited on a little more development? Also their on 24/0 light schedule now. Are their any ill effects to switching to 18/6 after they get a little stronger?

MitchyNugz

MitchyNugz

hey whats up...eerything is looking great looks like you will have a fun room to play with....the t5 won't shock the seedlings I have sprouted tuns of seedlings under my 6 bulb t5 they actually love it, get great growth with them and you won't experience any ill effects from switching from 24 to 18/6 they will be fine...good luck with the grow!

JohnGalt

JohnGalt

hey whats up...eerything is looking great looks like you will have a fun room to play with....the t5 won't shock the seedlings I have sprouted tuns of seedlings under my 6 bulb t5 they actually love it, get great growth with them and you won't experience any ill effects from switching from 24 to 18/6 they will be fine...good luck with the grow!

Thanks Mitch. I actually started the seedlings in a store bought seed starter with warming pad. (An amazing machine for the money) Had my two bulb t5 on it and vented the dome as soon as I saw their true leaves. Then after about two more days I transplanted. Two more days under the twin t5 I decided It couldn't hurt to put it under the 8 lamp t5. You did help reinforce my decision. Thanks again.

"Who is John Galt?" Lol..good book.

:clapping Finally someone who understands. I admire Ayn Rand so much. I chose that user name because in the beginning of the book, the phrase "Who is John Galt" was to ask a question that can't be explained or shouldn't be. A mystery almost. I thought it fit well as we all on here like to be somewhat anonymous.

You may be able to tell I'm excited that you recognized that phrase. Very seldom do I get to chat about things that the majority of people never even heard of.

pRiMo303

pRiMo303

:clapping Finally someone who understands. I admire Ayn Rand so much. I chose that user name because in the beginning of the book, the phrase "Who is John Galt" was to ask a question that can't be explained or shouldn't be. A mystery almost. I thought it fit well as we all on here like to be somewhat anonymous.

You may be able to tell I'm excited that you recognized that phrase. Very seldom do I get to chat about things that the majority of people never even heard of.

For sure! Good book! I was scrolling down the new posts and saw "john galts grow" and i was like, oh shit, whos John Gault? They never mentioned who the farmer was in that town where all the best of the best lived, though.. Ironically, I read that book when my rights were violated for the possession of marijuana.

JohnGalt

JohnGalt

For sure! Good book! I was scrolling down the new posts and saw "john galts grow" and i was like, oh shit, whos John Gault? They never mentioned who the farmer was in that town where all the best of the best lived, though.. Ironically, I read that book when my rights were violated for the possession of marijuana.

Sorry to hear that pRiMo. Its odd that to some people the cultivation of cannabis is bad and others (including us all at the farm) feel that these plants were just subject to scrutiny for no reason. I myself do not smoke marijuana. Not that I frown on those who do. I have no illness which the plant will help. I've tried consuming it in a recreational sense but I don't enjoy the effects. Is it weird that I just enjoy the idea of watching the development of a plant? Too be cut and dry the profit is the reason I decided to study this plant in depth. Another benefit of growing cannabis is the wealth of information out there. You would think a legal plant would have as much resources but it simply doesn't. I apologize for my rant.

That's the genius behind the novel. Its meaning differs from person to person. What I take from it is different from other individuals.

pRiMo303

pRiMo303

I take from it the down fall of man and his laziness and his unfortunate acceptance of mediocrity..leaders becoming followers..
And I dont smoke either..I VAPE!

jagle

jagle

no i dont think its too early for the t5, and switching from 24/0 to 18/6 should be no problem, if you want give them 1 or 2 days of 20/4 inbetween to adjust them

JohnGalt

JohnGalt

no i dont think its too early for the t5, and switching from 24/0 to 18/6 should be no problem, if you want give them 1 or 2 days of 20/4 inbetween to adjust them

Thanks jagle. Yea I'm going to switch to 18/6 in a few days then. Should I be enriching the air with c02 at this point? I have no ventilation in any of these rooms. I have circulation in there and the room isn't completely sealed. Will that suffice at this point in their lives?

jagle

jagle

Eh i have no idea on how big the rooms are, babies wont need alot of co2 i reckon.

are you gonna be running a sealed room with co2 tanks and regulators?
i dont use co2 tanks i just run a normal room and spend time with the girls when i can

JohnGalt

JohnGalt

Eh i have no idea on how big the rooms are, babies wont need alot of co2 i reckon.

are you gonna be running a sealed room with co2 tanks and regulators?
i dont use co2 tanks i just run a normal room and spend time with the girls when i can

I will be running c02 tanks/regulators in my 24 site hydro tents. But originally opted out to enrich the mother/clone room. I don't really care about the pace the mothers grow and if I'm not mistaken the added co2 will do little for the cuttings. If it will stop the growth of the mothers then I do need to consider it. I'm just worried because I have absolutely no ventilation in any of the rooms. Intake nor exhaust. The room isn't "sealed" in that there are leaks beneath the door and such. Maybe a co2 bucket will suffice?

I wish I had the luxury to check on progress every day. These plants are in a purpose grow house hours away from where I reside though.

Top Bottom