Journal: Growing again after 27 years

• Thread starter BillyBanchan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

BillyBanchan

Ok, back to bidness... Res change and increasing EC!

June 10, 2023 1100:
Emptied and refilled res with 32 gallons water. Subtracted .2ml/gal from week 2 medium feed schedule. May reduce by additional .2ml/gal next time and see where EC lands (see end of entry).

Water: 64° / 7.0 pH / .045 EC

Si - 2ml /Gal = 60ml
CalMg - 4ml /Gal = 120ml
Micro - 4ml /Gal = 120ml
Bloom - 3.6ml /Gal = 108ml
Gro - 2.8ml /Gal = 84ml
Humic - 4ml /Gal = 120ml
pH down - took about 15ml to bring pH down from 6.9 (nutes and water) to 6.0

Final: 65° / 6.0 pH / EC 1.4 (700ppm)

*** Wanted 1.2 EC, 1.4 is upper limit... In the future, must account for other supps in addition to Flora series strengths. ***

B

BillyBanchan

Pics! While a little pale (but improving), I'm finally seeing some growth.

Planting directly to large pots (so I've read) can delay topside growth a week or so. Roots forming? Is it an auto flower thing as the internet says? My earlier pH mistakes when presoaking the pots?

Who gives a shit. They're growing now. 😀 So is the outdoor pot!

Screenshot 20230610 115024

Screenshot 20230610 115147

Screenshot 20230610 115641

Screenshot 20230610 115807

Even the #freak-o-rama wants to live lol:

Screenshot 20230610 115541

Dude has character at least 😂

Outdoor pot:

Screenshot 20230610 121755

Last edited:
B

BillyBanchan

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
This is good stuff. I grow in soil, but now include about 10% coco in the mix, along with other things. I need to wrap my head around EC, as well as feeding "secondary", micro nutrients, enzymes, bacteria.......I just did my first (light) feeding with gypsum, epsom salts and bone meal. I probably should have added bone meal into my spil mix when I first put it together. I would think it adds calcium slowly. Either way, I mixed them into my last watering and assume they'll all work their way down and become available over time. But I've gotta get things right in real time. I'm nearly 2 weeksvinto flowering and the next 6+ weeks are vital.

B

BillyBanchan

Yesterday I began to add H202 to my res for oxygenation, and more importantly to keep algae and other bad reservoir actors at bay.

I have a decent sized air pump coming along with some bubbler stones. This should also increase oxygen, and ( 🤞 ) allow me to go a few days between H202 applications.

OH! and 6 of the 9 suddenly have compound leaves as of noon today. I'm very happy to see growth accelerating at a nice speed. I just may overcome those early on stupid pH and medium buffering mistakes!

B

BillyBanchan

might be on the young side to be showing nutrient deficiency, I'd start with the light. What's the PPFD at the plant tops?

I agree! However, I did not presoak my coco/perlite with CalMg and ph'd water... Just 7.0 water.

I think I am behind the curve on it.

Lights were 400-500 μmol/m2s at tops, yesterday re-calibrated and set to 300-400 μmol/m2s as I saw the very beginning stages of light stress. This morning the spots looked worse. So, walking it back a little until back on track.

I also think I was over watering this coco... Such a learning curve! I've heard it all: can't over water, can't under water, don't water like soil, water like soil... After this grow (and maybe another with regular photos), I plan to write up something on coco/perlite.

Now I'm replacing the res with something around .8 EC (Si, CalMg, nutrients, humic/fulvic) with a pH of 6.3 - until back on track.

Thank you, jj!

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

I agree! However, I did not presoak my coco/perlite with CalMg and ph'd water... Just 7.0 water.

I think I am behind the curve on it.

Lights were 400-500 μmol/m2s at tops, yesterday re-calibrated and set to 300-400 μmol/m2s as I saw the very beginning stages of light stress. This morning the spots looked worse. So, walking it back a little until back on track.

I also think I was over watering this coco... Such a learning curve! I've heard it all: can't over water, can't under water, don't water like soil, water like soil... After this grow (and maybe another with regular photos), I plan to write up something on coco/perlite.

Now I'm replacing the res with something around .8 EC (Si, CalMg, nutrients, humic/fulvic) with a pH of 6.3 - until back on track.

Thank you, jj!

go 250-300 ppfd for young seedlings/clones
and yep i think 1.4EC was too high.
EC 0.5-0.8 should be more than enough for young seedling and clones.

they will recover

Last edited:
Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
Speaking out loud

My first thought was that looks like fungi then I enlarged the photos and I thought no that nutrient related. Then I wondered about Cali mg as it kinda looks like that or burn from amendment’s or pk then I’m thinking why’s it just on the bottom surly Cali mg would be showing at the top before the bottom. The curling looks like it’s ph related ; all in all confusing I like to know myself so I can at least update my knollage

To me it looks like burn and ph however I am not sure and would like to know

Last edited:
B

BillyBanchan

Speaking out loud

My first thought was that looks like fungi then I enlarged the photos and I thought no that nutrient related. Then I wondered about Cali mg as it kinda looks like that or burn from amendment’s or pk then I’m thinking why’s it just on the bottom surly Cali mg would be showing at the top before the bottom. The curling looks like it’s ph related ; all in all confusing I like to know myself so I can at least update my knollage

To me it looks like burn and ph however I am not sure and would like to know

I was exploring pH last night regarding this issue and I'm coming around to that being a factor for sure. I think my final pH was a tad low and EC was for sure too hot at 1.4

Thank you for that! I remixed my res... Details coming.

B

BillyBanchan

go 250-300 ppfd for young seedlings/clones
and yep i think 1.4EC was too high.
EC 0.5-0.8 should be more than enough for young seedling and clones.

they will recover

Yes and yes 👍🏻

I tried to move too quickly with EC and light. Even my 1.2 EC target was pushing it. I now have learned that just Si and CalMg will be .6 EC for 20 gallons of water, and I've learned to budget remaining nutrients accordingly.

My notes from today will show where I tested pH and EC after each addition of nutrients and supplements in an effort to better understand the final outcome.

Thank you!

B

BillyBanchan

June 15, 2023 1000:
Woke up to what may be a calcium deficiency. Noticed last night and lowered light intensity.

Foliar fed weak calmag and created a plan... Lower EC, pH around 6.3, and setting lights to about 250–325 μmol/m2s for now.

Emptied res, refilled w/ 20 gallons (75L) water, and 950ml 3% H202. Then tested at 6.75 pH. Let it sit an hour.

Water (w/ H202): 64° / 6.75 pH / .045 EC

Si - .42ml /L = 32ml
CalMg (GH) - 1ml /L = 75ml
** 9.0 pH / .6 EC **
Micro - 1.5ml /G = 30ml
** 8.5 pH / .8 EC **
Bloom - 1ml /G = 20ml
Gro - 1ml /G = 20ml
** 7.7 pH / .9 EC **
Humic - 2ml /G = 40ml
Fulvic - 2ml /G = 40ml
** 7.7 pH / .9 EC **
pH down (used about 15ml)

Final: 65.1° / 6.35 pH / .9 EC

*Adding just Si and CalMg raised EC by .6 and raised pH by 2.25 (20Gals water)
*Micro reduced pH by .5
*Bloom and Gro reduced pH by .8
*Humic/fulvic did not change pH or EC.

One fertigate per day, or as plants dictate.

B

BillyBanchan

A couple laggards and one tiny freak aside, things have picked up. I think I still have some issues with pH (in the coco, not the reservoir) causing a small bit of lockout, but hand feeding for now until I get a chance to change out the res, flush the coco, and adjust the level of the flow/flood stage.

Screenshot 20230618 200026

B

BillyBanchan

Wow, they look even bigger today!

Installed large pump and two air stones to keep the res oxygenated. Still hand feeding from the res once per day. Looking for signs of needing more than one feed per day, and then will resume flooding on an as needed basis. But, res change coming soon... 🤪

Is there any benefit to only flooding halfway or so? 🤔

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
Wow, they look even bigger today!

Installed large pump and two air stones to keep the res oxygenated. Still hand feeding from the res once per day. Looking for signs of needing more than one feed per day, and then will resume flooding on an as needed basis. But, res change coming soon... 🤪

Is there any benefit to only flooding halfway or so? 🤔

At this age the roots should be deep enough to shallow flood, maybe not the runt LOL. What type of training you got planned? It's gonna get crowded in there 🙃

jj

B

BillyBanchan

At this age the roots should be deep enough to shallow flood, maybe not the runt LOL. What type of training you got planned? It's gonna get crowded in there 🙃

jj
Thank you, friend!

I did just that this morning! Flooded to about 1/2 way, or just under. The runt got the same treatment lol, but it's growing (albeit very slowly with angry little leaves). I've written that one off, but hey it might come in clutch at the end. 😂

I only plan to do some gentle LST with soft pipe cleaners. These buckets came with holes in the top lip, so figured that would be easiest. Other than that, I just want to see these to the end and get busy with some better genetics and regular photos! Learned a lot so far, relearned a lot, too. Way more learning to go...

✌🏻

Top Bottom