Judge Okays Walmart’s Firing of Medical Marijuana User

• Thread starter Bobby Smith
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Bobby Smith

By Nathan Koppel
It has not been a good 24 hours for medical marijuana users.

Michigan federal judge Robert Jonker today ruled that Walmart had the right to fire an employee who was using marijuana to treat the side effects of an inoperable brain tumor. The state’s medical marijuana laws protect licensed users from arrest but do not trump employers’ policies banning the use of dope, the judge held.

Here’s a report from the Grand Rapids Press. (And click here to read the opinion.) Finally, click here for a LB post from last August on the case; here for a story on the case from the WSJ’s Stephanie Simon.

The plaintiff, Joseph Casias, 30, who was the Associate of the Year at the Walmart in Battle Creek, Michigan, was fired by the retailer in 2008 after he tested positive for dope.

He claimed he only used marijuana after his work shift, the Press reports. Even so, state law does not require private employers to “accommodate the use of medical marijuana outside of the workplace,” Judge Jonker wrote.

Walmart’s attorneys contend that Michigan’s medical marijuana law wasn’t intended to regulate businesses, according to the Grand Rapids Press.

The American Civil Liberties Union, counsel to Casias, has said it will appeal. “Today’s ruling does not uphold the will of Michigan voters, who clearly wanted to protect medical marijuana and facilitate its use by very sick people like Joseph Casias,” the ACLU said in a statement. “A choice between adequate pain relief and gainful employment is an untenable one.”

In other dope news, the Montana House of Representatives yesterday voted to repeal the state’s medical marijuana law, the New York Times reports.

The sponsor of the repeal bill told the times that the state law legalizing medical marijuana had been a pretext for encouraging recreational use and he said he feared the law could lead to gang drug wars in Montana’s cities. “We were duped,” said Montana’s House speak Mike Milburn.

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2011/02/11...-of-medical-marijuana-user/?mod=djemlawblog_t

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Walmart sucks! But we need to reforce medical laws in this area in many states,Cali included!

Far as I see things mmj is a preventitive treatment! I self medicated as a youth not knowing for many years I had AS.It just made me feel better.Because of this it slowed the illness and kept me fit enough long enough to work years and increase my pay in to Social Security so I didn`t end up on SSI by the time it became disabling.Still enjoying the benifits of consumption and even though it`s not a cure it still improves my quality of life.It`s saved tax payers thousands of tax dallars!

2DogWalker

Great way to put it Mark!

I think this should be one more reason (the list is LONG and distinguished) on why we shouldn't be visiting Wal-Mart and allowing them to destroy what we have left of a country by ripping the rights away from our workforce.

But, we should also talk about the bright spots such as the US Government Allowing Medical MJ Treatment. I saw something on the news, any real people involved in that situation out here, is it now okay as a veteran if its legal in the state your in????

FUCK Corporate AMERICA - sorry for my cursory language I truly dislike where and how are country is going.

2Dog

H

Herban Legend

Wow what are some of these people thinking? It makes me wonder if some of these govt. people are brainwashed.

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

Same here in Oregon. You can get fired for testing positive even if you have a card. The reason is the Federal law trumps State law. Employer's do not have to go by the State law's when it comes to drug testing.
In Oregon you have to hide the fact you are a patient to your employer. Some even ask on a application if you have a med card. Some Employer's also ask that and are ok with it.
But if you fail a drug screen, get fired. You basically have no rights to sue your employer due to federal law.

D

donnachris

:party0023:
Same here in Oregon. You can get fired for testing positive even if you have a card. The reason is the Federal law trumps State law. Employer's do not have to go by the State law's when it comes to drug testing.
In Oregon you have to hide the fact you are a patient to your employer. Some even ask on a application if you have a med card. Some Employer's also ask that and are ok with it.
But if you fail a drug screen, get fired. You basically have no rights to sue your employer due to federal law.

i could be wrong, but I think its against the Privacy Act for an employer to ask if you have a medical marijuana card, after all that is your medical history and thats what the Privacy Act protects. :party0023:

S

SMOKINJOEH

Hippa

:party0023:

i could be wrong, but I think its against the Privacy Act for an employer to ask if you have a medical marijuana card, after all that is your medical history and thats what the Privacy Act protects. :party0023:

HIPPA... Or hipocratical BS:evilgrin0040:

Top Bottom