Junk's Growing Log

• Thread starter SmithsJunk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BudBogart

BudBogart

So the cops come to my neighbor's house last Sunday, his ex was stirring up a bunch of sh*t. She told one of the cops, "He's growing pot in the back yard," the cop says, "Maam, this is **** County, everybody is growing pot in their backyard. Try again."

Pwaaaahahahaaha!

They were looking at my garden and the greenhouse 20' above them when the cop said it. ROFL! B*tch, try again!

We are indeed in a very understanding county. I watched their helicopter do a low 360 degree spin over my garden. Never even stopped by after.
The stories I could share, lol.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

We are indeed in a very understanding county. I watched their helicopter do a low 360 degree spin over my garden. Never even stopped by after.
The stories I could share, lol.

Is that the Sheriff chopper? They do that sh*t over us too. Bugged me for a while but they don't seem to give a crap so I don't even think about em anymore.

I've heard our county leaders don't dare mess with any of us because we bring in so much money. The cops around here were even friendly about it when I was a kid. They were constanly letting me go without even taking my weed. Long before 215.

BudBogart

BudBogart

Is that the Sheriff chopper? They do that sh*t over us too. Bugged me for a while but they don't seem to give a crap so I don't even think about em anymore.

I've heard our county leaders don't dare mess with any of us because we bring in so much money. The cops around here were even friendly about it when I was a kid. They were constanly letting me go without even taking my weed. Long before 215.

Yes, the sheriff. This was an up close personal fly over. I think my neighbor called em.
Once a deputy asked "when had I been smoking marijuana?" I told him " pretty much all day". He laughed and thanked me for my honesty. That was when my phone apparently dialed 911 and the hung up, lol. It took the deputies an hour to find our house!

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

It looks like I need to start flushing the Orange Creamsicle. Finally found a reliable estimate of 66 days. Looked back in my phone's pictures and saw blooms the last week of July. Not seeing any amber aside from leaf tips that have been brushed against. Expecting to cut in 5-7 days, but I will wait until I see amber. I've heard we're supposed to ignore the first week of flower. Don't know how true that is.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
One of our "superstitions", for the lack of a better word, is that we dont cut buds early on purpose. It's just a thing we don't do.

I've got to be careful with this new guy's concentrates. I'm no casual smoker and one hit each of the Fire OG & Cookies Glue shatter put me into a bad bud trip. I haven't been paranoid like that on weed in 20 years. I did pull .1gr rips on an 18" bong and hotboxed my whole trailer with those two hits so it's kinda my fault doing that with untested shatter.

I like this new guy a lot. The zip of JillyBean I got for $100 was a great deal. Super creepy for a Sativa leaning hybrid too. Thought it might be bunk and then it Zanged me about 20 min later. Very cereberal.
Good grown Jillybean aint no joke I agree there. Flo is nice as well. But like you said you could have used a little discretion on the shatter. :D A bad shatter experience isnt any fun. Been there done that. :( I gotta be careful with edibles as well. Never know how them fokkers are gonna hit me.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Thank you. They are housplants compared to all my friend's and neighbor's grows. They're pulling 10'+ and 1-2lbs out of 45gal smartpots. Don't know my yield yet but I'm hoping to give them a run for the money. At 400gal I bet I can get 15'+ which can yield 20lbs+. That means 2-4 trees with a maximum yield can match a 50' greenhouse and still be county legal with 2 more trees, and stay within the maximum canopy.
A good run and strain dependent and you should be able to pull 3-5 units per tree. Nice work your doin. Lost touch with your thread for some reason. Have you on watched list with notifications but havent been getting them. peace and cannabis grease

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

A good run and strain dependent and you should be able to pull 3-5 units per tree. Nice work your doin. Lost touch with your thread for some reason. Have you on watched list with notifications but havent been getting them. peace and cannabis grease

TY. I have the same problem with the alerts. I have to stay vigilant to keep up with everyone. Never fails I miss somebody though. What is a unit? Heard the term on here but none of the other growers I know use it. Expecting 1-1.5lb each. Most of the pics I take are on the shade side. It's hard to see in the pics how much flower is pressed up against the fence. I had no idea what I was doing when I started. Would have given another 1.5'-2' of space on the sun side. They will never look this wild again. Had to learn how they grow & learn some techniques from you guys. Next year I'll lollypop a 2-3 Kush trees (with an indoor start) in 400-500gal pots and 3-4 Sativa hybrids (still havent decided between tall, mainline, or scrog). If all goes the way I plan and if this season is any clue, that won't happen, lol.

Lots to plan, lots to plan. Have you used Boveda packs before? Trying to figure out if I need 62 or 58%, leaning towards 58% for long term storage.

It's these little things I'll have dialed next year. Trimming and helping with grows for years does not prepare you for your own. Not even close. Thanks again.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Good grown Jillybean aint no joke I agree there. Flo is nice as well. But like you said you could have used a little discretion on the shatter. :D A bad shatter experience isnt any fun. Been there done that. :( I gotta be careful with edibles as well. Never know how them fokkers are gonna hit me.

I smoke shatter all the time. That's why it caught me off guard. Super psychadellic. Great in a measured dose though. Haven't had a shatter smack me like that after only two, fairly small, hits. Even mixed. Live and learn. I'm about to tear up a homie right now, with forewarning. Later.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Did more research on my girls. Looks like both parents of the Royal Nepal Kush flower for 8 weeks. Safe to assume they will too. That puts them within days of the Creamsicle. Starting the Creamsicle on water tomorrow and the Kush get one more full blast of nutes before going on their diet. I ordered a 3' wide mesh rack with 6 levels. I was reading somewhere each level can hold 1/2 lb each. I also ordered a garment rack to hang it from. A garment rack anchored by the weight of the mesh rack will give me the ability to run stringers for anything over 3 lbs. I hope, I hope, I hope, I have that problem, and a lot of it. I want there to be so much excess that the rack falls over from the weight and I have to run stringers from the nose to tail of my trailer, and even some in the shed. Alas, I'm sure it will be covered by the rack and a half bedroom full of stringers.

Will have fresh pictures up tomorrow. Took the day off to get high with friends and stress about money.

I can honestly say, I'm bummed to pick my flowers. I wouldn't be upset if it took a couple more months. I'd even find a way to come up with the money for nutes (next month is going to be nice with not having to go broke feeding my plants.) Sh*t, this last two weeks I spent over $500 on their food. It's all worth it though.

Last edited:
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

There doesn't seem to be a forum category for harvesting, trimming, and curing. Which I think is odd considering it's a pretty big part of growing. Would I use Concentrates and Processing for curing questions? Another thing only working on commercial grows has done, I am almost completely ignorant when it comes to proper curing. The cash cropppers I know almost never cure. They sell it straight away. Makes sense why so much of the dispensary weed tastes like weeds.

I'm going poor trying to get all my sh*t together to trim and cure. I may have to cut some corners out of necessity (not much). My questions that I dont know where to post...

If I'm using 8gr 58% Boveda packs can I cure my herb a QP at a time in freezer bags instead of turkey bags? See, not much of a corner cut. I was also trying to figure out if 58% bags are good for long term storage (like up to a year)? Do I need to change them out with a fresh pack(s) once they equalise? Can I seal the packs in along with herb using a vacuum sealer? How many do I use on an equalised stable QP that I want to seal for long term storage? Should I start curing with paper grocery bags to wick them more quickly to the desired humidity then switch them over to freezer bags with the packs? Ive got plenty of paper grocery bags.

Just basic sh*t questions.

Last edited:
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I think I figured out the unit measurement you're talking about. If we are saying something similar about the yields then a unit is probably what, 4oz (QP)?

BudBogart

BudBogart

You are doing a great job. I am very old school and just cure and store in mason jars, no boveda, etc. so, no advice to give.
But, my excellent farmer, the advice I want to give you is at this point in your grow, don't worry about estimated flower times. They are good when planning your garden, but now that you have the flower in front of you, you are best judge of when to harvest. After they fatten, quit swelling, pistils shrinking, and buds are rock hard, then watch the trichomes for the finish you want. I know you already know all this, just a last minute pep talk, lol.
As of yesterday, we have an beautiful 10 day forecast!

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

You are doing a great job. I am very old school and just cure and store in mason jars, no boveda, etc. so, no advice to give.
But, my excellent farmer, the advice I want to give you is at this point in your grow, don't worry about estimated flower times. They are good when planning your garden, but now that you have the flower in front of you, you are best judge of when to harvest. After they fatten, quit swelling, pistils shrinking, and buds are rock hard, then watch the trichomes for the finish you want. I know you already know all this, just a last minute pep talk, lol.

Thanks man. Switching over to water as early as I think I can get away with it. It'd be nice to get a good natural flush on, as well as saving me some money. Pretty sure I have a week left on the Creamsicle about a week and a half on the Kush. I won't harvest early unless I see a problem ie; skyrocketing populations of mites that are threatening to tent everything but that's probably not going to happen because the cut is so close and I've fought hard to keep the populations down.

Here are some pics just now from my phone. The pistils have died back almost completely on the Creamsicle. I'm not seeing the bracts swell as much as I'd hoped. Maybe the mites might have something to do with that by sapping nutrients. I'm hoping to be wrong and see more of a swell here soon. Then again, it could be the strain. I'll post up a picture of what they should look like as well. I think their amber may reach 8-10% before the bracts are ready, hopefully closer to 5%, but these girls are hard to read. Seeing some amber on the leaf edges, I think, but that strikes me more as a strain thing not a ripeness signal. They may just be refracting a yellowing saw edge.

20171002 062843
20171002 062908
20171002 062933
20171002 062945
20171002 063005
20171002 063025

Here's a pic of what the Creamsicle should look like...
Orange Creamsicle use me2 e1456438128632 1024x1024

The Kush will be easy to identify as ripe. Their bracts are swelling as the hairs die back. They are model examples of typical ripening. When their amber hits about 5% they should be perfect to cut.

20171002 063041
20171002 063049
20171002 063122
20171002 063133

Last edited:
BudBogart

BudBogart

Thanks man. Switching over to water as early as I think I can get away with it. It'd be nice to get a good natural flush on, as well as saving me some money. Pretty sure I have a week left on the Creamsicle about a week and a half on the Kush. I won't harvest early unless I see a problem ie; skyrocketing populations of mites that are threatening to tent everything but that's probably not going to happen because the cut is so close and I've fought hard to keep the populations down.

Here are some pics just now from my phone. The pistils have died back almost completely on the Creamsicle. I'm not seeing the bracts swell as much as I'd hoped. Maybe the mites might have something to do with that by sapping nutrients. I'm hoping to be wrong and see more of a swell here soon. Then again, it could be the strain. I'll post up a picture of what they should look like as well. I think their amber may reach 8-10% before the bracts are ready, hopefully closer to 5%, but these girls are hard to read. Seeing some amber on the leaf edges, I think, but that strikes me more as a strain thing not a ripeness signal. They may just be refracting a yellowing saw edge.

View attachment 746514 View attachment 746515 View attachment 746516 View attachment 746517 View attachment 746518 View attachment 746519

Here's a pic of what the Creamsicle should look like...
View attachment 746524

The Kush will be easy to identify as ripe. Their bracts are swelling as the hairs die back. They are model examples of typical ripening. When their amber hits about 5% they should be perfect to cut.

View attachment 746520 View attachment 746521 View attachment 746522 View attachment 746523[/QUOTE

Wow, the trichomes. Must be a good phone, too. Very nice shots. Wish we had smell a vision. Creamy sicle.
Half my girls are gonna make it in time. They are hard and waiting for finish. The other girls look like they have another freaking month. Equatorial sativa, who woulda thunk, lol.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Took your advice. Looked at the signs and went with my gut. Hit them all again with one more dose of nutes.

You ought to try Boveta in one of your jars sometime. A lot of the people who reviewed them were in mason jars.

Just smelled a Creamsicle bloom. It is so sugary I got crystals on my tongue and my mouth tastes like tangerines.

20171002 115142

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
TY. I have the same problem with the alerts. I have to stay vigilant to keep up with everyone. Never fails I miss somebody though. What is a unit? Heard the term on here but none of the other growers I know use it. Expecting 1-1.5lb each. Most of the pics I take are on the shade side. It's hard to see in the pics how much flower is pressed up against the fence. I had no idea what I was doing when I started. Would have given another 1.5'-2' of space on the sun side. They will never look this wild again. Had to learn how they grow & learn some techniques from you guys. Next year I'll lollypop a 2-3 Kush trees (with an indoor start) in 400-500gal pots and 3-4 Sativa hybrids (still havent decided between tall, mainline, or scrog). If all goes the way I plan and if this season is any clue, that won't happen, lol.

Lots to plan, lots to plan. Have you used Boveda packs before? Trying to figure out if I need 62 or 58%, leaning towards 58% for long term storage.

It's these little things I'll have dialed next year. Trimming and helping with grows for years does not prepare you for your own. Not even close. Thanks again.
If you only pull 1.5 outdoors you be slackin homey. :D Direct in soil, or 500 gallon pots and the right strains and training, nutes dialed you should pull 2-5 lbs but that is all based on skill level and how much time you can spend with them. Keep in mind I'm talking full season grows.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Did more research on my girls. Looks like both parents of the Royal Nepal Kush flower for 8 weeks. Safe to assume they will too. That puts them within days of the Creamsicle. Starting the Creamsicle on water tomorrow and the Kush get one more full blast of nutes before going on their diet. I ordered a 3' wide mesh rack with 6 levels. I was reading somewhere each level can hold 1/2 lb each. I also ordered a garment rack to hang it from. A garment rack anchored by the weight of the mesh rack will give me the ability to run stringers for anything over 3 lbs. I hope, I hope, I hope, I have that problem, and a lot of it. I want there to be so much excess that the rack falls over from the weight and I have to run stringers from the nose to tail of my trailer, and even some in the shed. Alas, I'm sure it will be covered by the rack and a half bedroom full of stringers.

Will have fresh pictures up tomorrow. Took the day off to get high with friends and stress about money.

I can honestly say, I'm bummed to pick my flowers. I wouldn't be upset if it took a couple more months. I'd even find a way to come up with the money for nutes (next month is going to be nice with not having to go broke feeding my plants.) Sh*t, this last two weeks I spent over $500 on their food. It's all worth it though.[/QUOTE if your looking for max yields try to stay away from the kush genepool. Typically not a heavy producer, unless it is a hybrid with some heavy hitters in the genepool.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

If you only pull 1.5 outdoors you be slackin homey. :D Direct in soil, or 500 gallon pots and the right strains and training, nutes dialed you should pull 2-5 lbs but that is all based on skill level and how much time you can spend with them. Keep in mind I'm talking full season grows.

I've been fighting an uphill battle all the way. I got the go ahead to grow in May but didn't have the money to start till June. My three Kush clones didn't even have roots. When I put my girls in the ground my total growing knowledge consisted of measuring nutrients I didn't understand a few times, a few seasons of trimming, and an afternoon of Jorge Cervantes YouTube videos. Then I got mites and for a month I thought it was a nutrient deficiency. The third pesticide finally worked somewhat. Now they're multiplying again.

If I get 2lbs each I'll be f^ckin relieved.

Next season is a different story. Over the last 4 months I've been soaking up the knowledge. I'm confident I can grow 15-20lb trees in 500 gal pots and 5-6lb potent Sativa hybrids in 200 gal. I may grow in several different styles next year but barring some pest or blight I don't know about, should get good yields.

My next step I'm basically starting over as a dunce again. Indoor. If I can do both effectively it'll open doors.

Last edited:
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

My Creamsicle are finally showing a bract swell en masse. I am so relieved. Wasn't sure it was going to happen between the mites and the cold. Nope, just a little slow. I can already tell they're going to be potent but now they won't be weightless. Glad I did one more nute push before straight water. Thanks again @BudBogart for that most excellent advice.

Someone looking at these pics may not see the change but I know every branch on my girls. All of you with little grows know exactly what I'm saying. ...and the pics rarely show what we're looking at. That is my goal as a photographer. If I can show people what I'm seeing I will consider my work a success. (One problem, I'm red and green color blind, mostly red. So when I look at pictures, the camera enhances the colors so I can actually see them. It's kinda weird. I barely passed the wiring color blind test to become a telecom tech and my eyes have degenerated since.)

20171003 073642

20171003 085358

The Kush have not had a problem in this regard. They continue to swell and have not stalled. Not even from the cold.
20171003 073810
20171003 073905
20171003 073936

Latest posts

Top Bottom