Junk's Growing Log

• Thread starter SmithsJunk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Strangeone

Strangeone

Grow Log 10-06-2017

Cut the biggest, most ripe buds today. Letting the small/medium ones grow a bit more. Cut a little less than 2/3 of the flowers and completely filled three 22 gal bins. Barely fit it all into my drying room. The large yield made it easier for me to let a lot of large buds ripen further.

I'll write more on the harvest and bud washing tomorrow. I was up all night setting up the drying room and started the harvest at dawn, so I'm absolutely burnt. Just going to post some pics for now...

...in so, so, so, much pain. Worth it though. The drying room is at a perfect 68F & 45% humidity. I have two very small usb fans running to keep the air from becoming stagnant, not for drying. I want a very slow dry if I can, but these moderate daytime temps and dry air will make it tricky.

Enjoy (I know I will)...

View attachment 747997 View attachment 747998 View attachment 747999 View attachment 748000 View attachment 748001 View attachment 748002 View attachment 748003 View attachment 748004 View attachment 748005 View attachment 748006 View attachment 748007 View attachment 748008 View attachment 748009 View attachment 748010 View attachment 748012 View attachment 748013 View attachment 748014 View attachment 748015 View attachment 748016
Beautiful bro, just beautiful is all I can say.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

It's not like that but I understand. The plant is actually just able to perform photosynthesis more efficiently. I just thought you were fearing mold.

I can't remember what the original post was, but I'd say, "I do fear mold, but only on sick plants and after harvest."

As a trimmer molds and mildews are the most prolific problems I've ever seen on cut bud, by far. I can't tell you how many times I've run across it while trimming because someone left fresh cut flowers in a closed bin for just a little too long. I was working like my a$$ was on fire to make sure my buds were washed and on the lines or in baskets before anything had a chance to start. I am constantly monitoring the humidity and temps in my drying room. I'm also making sure no buds are touching and that there is appropriate indirect (not on the buds) air circulation at all times. If at any time I catch a hint of that ammonia smell (no matter what temps/humidity are reading) I'll bring in more outside air through the front of my 5th wheel, but almost never directly (that way it's a higher humidity). I use a box fan on low and deflect off a surface first. I will also run a standing fan, facing away from the drying racks/lines, up and into a corner. I angle the box fax to where it's pointing up slightly, as well. Pointing the fan up sends cool air up from the floor to offset the warmer ceiling air and the corner sends the flow into several directions. This helps it to mix more evenly and not pool in dead zones. No fans facing out windows. Fans facing out windows can cause localised dry zones. Fans blowing directly on plants can cause them to dry too quickly. If they are very wet it's even worse because it can cause an air conditioner evaporator effect. The plant's surface temps cool when water is evaporated and if they are more than a few degrees cooler than the air and it can cause moisture to form in places with little airflow. My focus is to change the air in the room by adding to its volume. We use this technique in the custom computer biz to help avoid condensation on liquid cooled systems. We call it static pressure shift.

Last edited:
Farmer P

Farmer P

Looking great smithsjunk! Looks like they are too heavy for that drying rack lol. So I got my 5 gallon buckets with the gamma seal screw off lids. It's working great so far. I wanted black so no light could come in which cost more. The buckets were just under $5 (orange ones 2.99) and the lids were like 7 something (home depot). They got rubber seals in them and are supposed to be air tight. Man when I open up that bucket of Sour Urkle the scent is so strong I want to climb in there lol.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Grow Log 10-07-2017

Sorry for so few pics and taking so long. I was interrupted when I was last taking pics of the garden to check on my cousin who is extremely ill. At my suggestion he let me take over his plants for the day, watering and pest checks. He's still having problems with caterpillars even after Azamax but now it's too late for him to spray again so it's all gone back to manual inspection and removal. I've gotten like 3 hrs sleep in 3 days. Just took me an hour to write this from nodding off every few minutes, dropping my keyboard, then mashing the keys trying to grab it and f^cking everything up so I have to start over again. (phew, finally stayed awake long enough to write this successfully, had to turn the heater off) You guys have been so supportive I wanted to at least post something up so you didn't think I forgot about you.

I'll get some bud shots today and get them posted up for you guys, along with updates on the cut flowers.

Thank you all.

Grow Log 3418 10 07 2017
Grow Log 3421 10 07 2017
Grow Log 3424 10 07 2017
Grow Log 3428 10 07 2017
Grow Log 3431 10 07 2017
Grow Log 3433 10 07 2017
Grow Log 3436 10 07 2017
Grow Log 3438 10 07 2017
Grow Log 3443 10 07 2017
Grow Log 3446 10 07 2017
Grow Log 3452 10 07 2017

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Looking great smithsjunk! Looks like they are too heavy for that drying rack lol. So I got my 5 gallon buckets with the gamma seal screw off lids. It's working great so far. I wanted black so no light could come in which cost more. The buckets were just under $5 (orange ones 2.99) and the lids were like 7 something (home depot). They got rubber seals in them and are supposed to be air tight. Man when I open up that bucket of Sour Urkle the scent is so strong I want to climb in there lol.

Yeah, I need some like that. Something to start the cure till I can get a vacuum sealer setup. Are you using anything to keep the humidity adjusted. I'd be concerned about mold in something that big. I bought Boveda bags to use but then read a thread where a couple/few people said they steal the terps. I wonder if that may be about placement. Like, insted of just dropping it in the mux, affix it to the lid. Sh*t, I dont know.

Thank you for the info.

Farmer P

Farmer P

From my experience as long as you don't let it go above 70 you shouldn't have to worry about mold. (but I've never done this much before) So far so good. I dried it a little more than I usually do and waited for the stems to crack which from what I hear is supposed to be done. It went into the bucket the day before yesterday and after a couple hours I peeked inside it was low 50's. It has been steadily climbing and is now in the low 60's. I only checked it a few times a day since I could tell right away it was climbing slow. It smells really good! The Bubba came out really good too. It took a long time for the humidity in the jar to rise too, but now it is up there and I am burping it a lot. I squished 3 grams last night on my press and it's the best rosin I've ever had. I tried an early bowl just now and am super high. The taste is already strong chronic.
:fire::fire: :smoking:

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

From my experience as long as you don't let it go above 70 you shouldn't have to worry about mold. (but I've never done this much before) So far so good. I dried it a little more than I usually do and waited for the stems to crack which from what I hear is supposed to be done. It went into the bucket the day before yesterday and after a couple hours I peeked inside it was low 50's. It has been steadily climbing and is now in the low 60's. I only checked it a few times a day since I could tell right away it was climbing slow. It smells really good! The Bubba came out really good too. It took a long time for the humidity in the jar to rise too, but now it is up there and I am burping it a lot. I squished 3 grams last night on my press and it's the best rosin I've ever had. I tried an early bowl just now and am super high. The taste is already strong chronic.
:fire::fire: :smoking:

That sounds right to me. Cool. I'm glad your cure is going smoothly.

I'm in my second full day. The rapid dehydration has slowed, stabilised between 35% day-50% night. Trying to get the drying to draw it out to 4-5 days min, 7-10 even better. The longer the dry, the more complete the chlorophyll evap, less time curing to a premium product. I personally want a long cure just to be thorough. I'm in no rush. I have plenty of dank to smoke till mine's fine enough for pipage. I'm also in no rush to trade. Everyone around me is hustling out this underdeveloped, undercured, sh*t weed with great names for quick scratch. It's actually kind of embarrassing for our county. I'm glad I'm under no such pressure. I think the future of Cannabis is boutique grows.

However, you so suck. You have your own press??? Is it a tabletop or a full sise? I think I saw JoeLeoli had a heated tabletop he reviewed that was $700. I could do that. Save me a lot of money on concentrates.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I had an idea for my giant Kush kolas. On the 18"ers, whole cola vacuum sealed, then some nice cellophane.

Print on them"Oh Sh*t, it's Your Birthday?"
20171008 142836
20171008 142824
20171008 142930

On the 2' put "Oh Sh*t, its Our 50th?
20171008 142953

Call them "Oh Sh*t Cola"

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I made it myself for $250. I got the plates on ebay, the pid on amazon, and the press at harbor freight. Works awesome.

Excessive much? ROFL

That's the most impressive rosin rig I've seen so far. I am no expert though. Should I know what a PID is? Every specialty has it's speak. When I built my first enthusiast PC i thought a MOBO was a type of computer. I also though it must've been very popular because everyone seemed to have one.

Farmer P

Farmer P

Excessive much? ROFL

That's the most impressive rosin rig I've seen so far. I am no expert though. Should I know what a PID is? Every specialty has it's speak. When I built my first enthusiast PC i thought a MOBO was a type of computer. I also though it must've been very popular because everyone seemed to have one.

A proportional–integral–derivative controller (PID controller or three term controller) is a control loop feedback mechanism widely used in industrial control systems and a variety of other applications requiring continuously modulated control. A PID controller continuously calculates an error value e ( t ) {\displaystyle e(t)}
98cb518a61ada87bcd636f531d4d9fd2e67876c3
as the difference between a desired setpoint and a measured process variable and applies a correction based on proportional, integral, and derivative terms (denoted P, I, and D respectively) which give their name to the controller.

In other words a temperature controller lol. They are used a lot in injection molding which is one of my specialties. I designed the plates (the spacing of the heater cartridges and thermocouple) myself like what is used in injection molding. I see a lot of plates out there that are set up all wrong! Most seem to use one heater cartridge per plate and they put the thermocouple off to a corner somewhere stupid. There are many many years of experience that show how it should be set up. The rods should be centered, two per plate, two and a half inches apart with the thermocouple (temp probe) in the center.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

A proportional–integral–derivative controller (PID controller or three term controller) is a control loop feedback mechanism widely used in industrial control systems and a variety of other applications requiring continuously modulated control. A PID controller continuously calculates an error value e ( t ) {\displaystyle e(t)}
98cb518a61ada87bcd636f531d4d9fd2e67876c3
as the difference between a desired setpoint and a measured process variable and applies a correction based on proportional, integral, and derivative terms (denoted P, I, and D respectively) which give their name to the controller.

In other words a temperature controller lol. They are used a lot in injection molding which is one of my specialties. I designed the plates (the spacing of the heater cartridges and thermocouple) myself like what is used in injection molding. I see a lot of plates out there that are set up all wrong! Most seem to use one heater cartridge per plate and they put the thermocouple off to a corner somewhere stupid. There are many many years of experience that show how it should be set up. The rods should be centered, two per plate, two and a half inches apart with the thermocouple (temp probe) in the center.

Thanks for explaining it. Only found it in reference to equipment for sale when I Googled it, no definition.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Weed was drying perfectly when I went to bed. Woke up a couple hours later to this crazy a$$ windstorm and my drying room at 27% room humidity. Quickly yanked all my bud from the line and packed in bins with 5x 58% Boveda 8 gr packs (all I have at the moment since I didn't expect to be racing against the same type of storm that turned Kansas into a dust bowl).

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Weed was drying perfectly when I went to bed. Woke up a couple hours later to this crazy a$$ windstorm and my drying room at 27% room humidity. Quickly yanked all my bud from the line and packed in bins with 5x 58% Boveda 8 gr packs (all I have at the moment since I didn't expect to be racing against the same type of storm that turned Kansas into a dust bowl).

So I decided that I better get trimming. All set up wuth scissors in hand, f^ckin power goes out. Oh, f^ck it. Sometimes you jyst gotta let go and go smoke a bowl. At least my girls in the garden look allright. Shit happens, it all comes out in the wash.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Opened up my tubs of what I thought to be, now, overdried weed to find 76% humidity. So I hung my poor semi-smashed buds back up. All stringers no baskets this time. It's not that bad. Will still smoke just fine.

Organikz

Organikz

Lol I still run them bubble bags. You west coast boys and your rosin...haha...just ribbing you.

Smith I'm in no way telling you what to do here. I'm only explaining how MBP works. Plants grow with the help from the seeds year prior. Seeds deposit nutrients into the soil.

So you see seeds are nature's fertilizer and would have been in your soil if the plants were naturally growing in a specific area. That's all.

Think of all the nutrition in seeds. People eat flax seed oil for nutrition. People drink sprouted seed teas, coconut water etc for nutrition. Some claim sprouted seed tea to increase lifespan. Why? It contains amino acids and omega3 that fortify and repair cells.

Organikz

Organikz

Again I am just explaining so you don't think I'm suggesting a GMO. Honestly who the hell am i? You be killing it. Don't change a thang. I'm jealous of those beautiful bouquets and you are right the sun activates terpenes and cannabinoid profiles that can't be achieved with artificial light but you've been triggered em homey.

Top Bottom