Junk's Growing Log

• Thread starter SmithsJunk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

My illness causes me to become impatient and lose my temper easily. This preflower identification is getting on my f^ckin nerves. Must caaaaalm, need help...

Aaaaaaah, this'll do it.
20180603 075057
20180603 075343

...and added a little bat sh*t top dress.

justiceman

justiceman

I'll admit that's a cool idea about leaving them smart pots partially empty. I be it helps to shade some of the roots that come up to that area as well. Very nice!

Hahaha man sometimes they just don't want to show for a while. I'd say it'll bet pretty soon when you'll know for sure. Maybe by next week at the latest. They sure are happy though. :party1:

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I'll admit that's a cool idea about leaving them smart pots partially empty. I be it helps to shade some of the roots that come up to that area as well. Very nice!

Hahaha man sometimes they just don't want to show for a while. I'd say it'll bet pretty soon when you'll know for sure. Maybe by next week at the latest. They sure are happy though. :party1:

I wet the folded over material after watering under it on hot days to prevent excessive evaporation. They're still dry on the edges of the pots but will be completely saturated within the next few weeks. That much dry soil takes some time to wet completely. I'll flood them each watering until they are thoroughly wet. After that it will take a 5gal of water every 2-3 days during veg and twice as much during flower.

You're totally right. They'll show very soon. The Banana Crack is really starting to look female. The flower leaf tips have elongated and it is no longer spade shaped. Looks more like a Bokchoy cabbage. Expecting it to spit hairs any time.
Bokchoy

Should I be trimming some of the larger fan leaves. Couldn't find anything in the Cannabis Encyclopedia about indoor pruning. Seems like the secondaries could benefit from some thinning of big fans.
20180603 055839

justiceman

justiceman

I hear you on how long it takes for large volumes of soil to get wet. I’ve been turning my raised beds while watering them to help break down the amendments I added. Just today I found more dry spots haha.

For inside I like to trim some of the lower growth that wont get any light if I can get to it easily. Of course if they get super crowded where some of the tops are being covered then some fans might need to he trimmed but they are looking very nice right now.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I hear you on how long it takes for large volumes of soil to get wet. I’ve been turning my raised beds while watering them to help break down the amendments I added. Just today I found more dry spots haha.

For inside I like to trim some of the lower growth that wont get any light if I can get to it easily. Of course if they get super crowded where some of the tops are being covered then some fans might need to he trimmed but they are looking very nice right now.

Thanks man. It's hard to see but there are a whole lot of branch tips being covered by fans. I'm going to thin them out. The bottoms I'm saving for clones so I won't trim them quite yet. I know to normally pull clones from upper branches but I'm practicing with these.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Removed 11 of the top primary water leaves. It should give the primary branches room to pop their secondaries, and so on.

Before
20180604 073127

After
20180604 125756

Going to need to lift the lights right to the top to make this grow happen.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Definitely worth it. They were for sure hiding a lot more tops than could be seen before.

There's still a lot more but I don't want to shock them. Turned up the light from 16hrs to 17hrs today and will move to 18hrs in a few days. Time to start speeding them up now that they've sexed.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I think this is a difference between males and females...

The female is a single level of leaves? That is a hair right? It's not obvious like the other fems with big flowers and two hairs.
Orange Creamsicle indoor
20180605 091838

The males stack sets?
Banana Crack outdoor
20180605 091817

Most of the early preflowers are a little retarded. Makes identification tough.

Just a thought. Didn't see anything about this in the Cannabis Encyclopedia but not many resources go very far into male preflower identification. The focus is on fems, which I think is kind of stupid considering how much of a threat males are to sensi.

justiceman

justiceman

I'm pretty sure I see a pistil on that Orange Creamsicle. As for the Banana Crack it's hard to say. I don't see any notable pistils, but what is there seems to be pretty small and it's hard to identify still. At that level of maturity even if it ends up being male I'd doubt you have to worry about any kind of pollination until it really gets some good balls going.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Looks like the Banana Crack is a little nitrogen sensitive. The rest seem to handle the bat guano well. This is no big deal though. I expected it from some and shouldn't be anymore damaging than what is seen here at these leaf tips. Only doing one dose and it will last through the beginning of flower. Bat sh*t is good stuff. Oughta see a sh*t ton of growth starting this week.
20180605 094130
20180605 094309

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I'm pretty sure I see a pistil on that Orange Creamsicle. As for the Banana Crack it's hard to say. I don't see any notable pistils, but what is there seems to be pretty small and it's hard to identify still. At that level of maturity even if it ends up being male I'd doubt you have to worry about any kind of pollination until it really gets some good balls going.

Not really worried about it pollinating. All about the prime real estate it's in. Need to have my 200gals with stable roots before it gets hot. Transplanting in the beginning of July last year was pretty harsh and I think I can get a better yield if they are more ready.

I have an indoor Banana Ice Cream that would do well in that spot. I'd swap out for the other Crack but I'm still not sure what it is yet.

It's real nice to have mature plants to replace any males. At least I don't have to worry about starting over.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Sheesh, the stalk on this Orange Creamsicle is monstrous. It's hard to see in the pics because the phone's lens narrows it, but it's about an inch thick. The Crack is the only one that comes close and it has another six inches on the Creamsicle.

Orange Creamsicle
20180605 102353

Banana Crack
20180605 103251

OC foreground, BC background
20180605 103334

Idunnoes foreground, OC background
20180605 102300

The ridges form a thick clover shape. One of the OCs was several inches across last year.
20180605 102212

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Sorry, my last response sounded dismissive. That wasn't my intention. I think your right. What I'm seeing on other plants that are further along are several sets of preflowers with oldest/earliest sets being the least reliable for dentification. They seem to be premature and malformed. On some of the plants the buds are easily identified like with the Banana Ice Cream, with others like the Banana Crack they either strongly resemble, or are, male. This is probably the reason for so much confusion, speculation, and no definative guide.

The Idunnoes has a very distinct classic female vase shape. Too bad I have no idea what it's strain is. I really want to try it's flowers. I hope it's not a duplicate of one of the Bananas. It doesn't look like any of the others. Kinda cool.

Idunnoes
20180605 142900
20180605 143459
20180605 143058

justiceman

justiceman

Hey no worries man I did not feel offended by your comment at all. It makes more sense that your thoughts were about filling out the smartpot in time rather than potential pollination. Man I absolutely love bat guano. It works so well, it works fast and it lasts for a good amount of time too. Just looks like those Idunnoes want to pop out a damn pistil already. Come on! I think that OC is gearing of for some serious weight with that stalk. It's nice.

Farmer P

Farmer P

Plants are looking great. I love the way your camera gets those close ups. I got one I'd like to get a good picture of right now. I was looking it over for sex and saw a hair which got me excited for a girl, but then I realized it has no pre-flower whatsoever. It is just one hair growing right where the pre-flower should be but it's coming right out of the stalk. Crazy. I'll try to get a pic this evening. Have a great day!

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Plants are looking great. I love the way your camera gets those close ups. I got one I'd like to get a good picture of right now. I was looking it over for sex and saw a hair which got me excited for a girl, but then I realized it has no pre-flower whatsoever. It is just one hair growing right where the pre-flower should be but it's coming right out of the stalk. Crazy. I'll try to get a pic this evening. Have a great day!

Thanks. My phone's camera can't do those close-ups on it's own. It's a trick I figured out last year when I saw other people posting close-up pics of trichs. I hold a jewellers loupe in front of my Galaxy S7's camera then crop the picture.
20180606 081045

They sell them for a couple bucks on up on Amazon or eBay. I recommend at least a 30x lens. Or you can buy one that clips onto your phone. I need to do that, it would be so much easier.
81y2FHgtquL AC SL1500
71ZgPZpOH4L AC SL1500

Last edited:
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Grow Log 6/6/18

I cleared more primary fan leaves when I realised the lower branches were becoming atrophied without the light. Need to clear more or remove the lowers altogether. That means I have to take clones soon if I want to use those lowers or replace outdoor males ASAP to give the indoor grow more space.
20180606 081226
20180606 081742

Top Bottom