Junk's Growing Log

• Thread starter SmithsJunk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Hey no worries man I did not feel offended by your comment at all. It makes more sense that your thoughts were about filling out the smartpot in time rather than potential pollination. Man I absolutely love bat guano. It works so well, it works fast and it lasts for a good amount of time too. Just looks like those Idunnoes want to pop out a damn pistil already. Come on! I think that OC is gearing of for some serious weight with that stalk. It's nice.

When I bought the guano last year I was still learning about the whole NPK and nutrient solubility thing. The guano I purchased wasn't too expensive and thought I was getting a deal, which I was, somewhat. The super expensive guano is ancient and very rare. It has almost 0 nitrogen and is perfect for the flowering stage. The stuff I bought was a 7 for nitrogen. Much hotter and fresher. Not good for flower but a great semi soluble slow release nitrogen for the veg stage.

I left it out in the weather over winter on purpose to break it down and make it a little cooler. Apparently it didn't cool much judging by the leaf tips on the Banana Crack. Still learning. Will mix with dirt this winter and break it down much more.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

When I tended roses I learned that sacrificing some of the older foliage translated to bigger, healthier blooms. I hope that rule still applies to herb. I thinned out as many fan leaves as I dared. Cleaned out the low hangers on the bottom of the plants, but no branches yet. If I let those lower leaves die naturally I'm asking for disease and fungus. They are stacked so tight and short the lapped leaves were holding water between them from respiration. Not good. If I'm correct this should be a boon to growth by removing an uneccessary draw on resources and allowing better oxygen=carbon dioxide exchange. It will cause the tops to mature more quickly, even possibly reach a little more. Well see.

I don't want to remove any lower branches yet until I know whether I'm going to do any outdoor swaps. The outdoor Royal Nepal Kush is looking very male and I have no idea yet with the Orange Creamsicle. I think I'm seeing hairs on the newer upper preflowers of the outdoor Banana Crack but It's still hard to be sure.
20180606 130003
20180606 131714
20180606 131758

justiceman

justiceman

The canopy is looking good.:smoking: I think the thinning was a good idea especially with indoors when the lights don't penetrate at all the angles the sun does. Ya man high P guano sure grows some wonderful flowers I love it. Agreed if you mix the guano with soil next winter it will definitely mellow out better.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

It took me about 10 minutes and a lot of tries but I got the shot. This pistol if that's what it is, comes straight out of the stalk.
Never seen such a thing before.

No sh*t! That is a trip. I had a lot of deformed ones, but nothing like that.

In a few minutes I'm posting pics of a couple indoor I just pulled as male.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

A couple indoor I pulled for being male. I'm a certain as I need to be after I found s really good pic of male and fem preflowers in line. Gave me the confidence to give my girls some space.

Banana Ice Cream (fem), proof they can still go male (If I grow them rofl).
20180606 165614

Royal Nepal Kush (I'm really bummed about this one)
20180606 170707

The pic that helped me identify them.
GI 92583 cannabis preflower comparison

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

The newest member of the outdoor garden.

Banana Crack (verified fem)
20180606 174532

It replaced the outdoor and last Royal Nepal Kush I had growing. Only one RNK bean left. If one more plant goes male I'll start it.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Looks good. I got a couple I'm pretty sure on too, I almost pulled one earlier but its hard lol. I'll probably throw it to bloom just to be sure.

Now that I know for sure what the males look like it's easier for me to pull them. The one exception is the first outdoor Banana Crack. I still don't know what the f^ck they are. Some of them have hairs, maybe? If the males grow a stalk that forms nuts later then it's probably male. If not, it's got some really messed up looking buds with short hairs. The other BC was easy enough to tell. The outdoor Orange Creamsicle has no preflowers at all so far. One Banana Ice Cream has hairs the other is just developing preflowers.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Looks good. I got a couple I'm pretty sure on too, I almost pulled one earlier but its hard lol. I'll probably throw it to bloom just to be sure.

I've decided to hold off on starting the last Royal Nepal Kush bean. I was planning on using it if there were anymore males, but just in case it goes male as well, I want to be able to save the pollen for X breeding and I need to be able to isolate it till maturity. I don't know if I'll ever come across this strain again and it would be a shame to lose it's genetics. When I do grow it, if it fems, I'll pull clones and use colloidal silver on one to produce a batch of fem seeds. Whether it's X beans or spontaneous femmed beans, I plan on getting some of them to you. I figure I'm less than a year away from knowing enough to breed so it shouldn't be too long. A big batch of seeds would be nice. If I can get a hold of that chemical that causes unpollinated spontaneous fem seeds I will. If not, I'll X it with a few worthy strains and we'll go from there. I need to study up on how to store pollen for the long term if I'm going to breed. Maybe you can breed a Royal Mamba. Scary.

I just can't give up on a strain this potent that gives up to 25% in a rosin press. I'm thinking of offering to do a final trim on the 2.5lbs I gave my cousin. Going on a bean hunt, woohoo.

Last edited:
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Sounds like a good plan.
There are 100 different sellers of the stuff on amazon. Just look at the bottle size to make sure they don't send you a little thimble full lol. You can also make it with a battery and a silver coin.

https://www.amazon.com/Bottles-Coll...=1528374189&sr=1-18&keywords=colloidal+silver

Thank you for the info.

I know how to make colloidal silver from my days working for the "Silver Guru", as he was called in the bullion industry. I don't recommend using home made colloidal silver, it's dangerous. The ppm needs to be properly adjusted or it can cause cell damage in both plants and animals. I would go with a commercially prepared solution.

I'm more interested in silver thiosulfate. That's the one I need to find out if it's available to the public. I had to have a business license to buy straight sulfuric acid from an institutional supplier. Used it for testing gold. The silver thiosulfate may be the same or even more controlled. Haven't checked yet.

Last edited:
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I think I can remove the single COB now that I'm down to three plants, still may become two. Not sure on the sex of one of the Orange Creamsicle. It's no big deal leaving it in because it's only 67 watts but it does give me the option to use it for seedlings/clones/males in a smaller tent. If I don't start any new plants I'll keep it in there for better light penetration. With how full the canopy gets it may not matter once they're flowering and become redundant.
20180607 092856

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

She looks so happy and right at home. Perfect weather for a transplant, mid 70's. Her leaves are perky and wax is already starting to fade. With this shade cloth I can do direct transplants with no hardening time. Very convenient.

Banana Crack
20180607 110942

Side by side BC. She'll stretch out with a quickness.
20180607 112048

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Wow, I love this strain. A big part of the joy I find in growing are the striking colors of these beautiful plants. As a painter, I'm a little envious of nature. I've tried many times to mix colors like this on a palette, and while I've nailed down hues and shades, I could never duplicate the sheen. It's almost like an oura of life that can't be mimicked. It's also why I took up photography. If you can't paint 'em, take pics.
20180607 134706

Always amazed at the speed these girls grow. Banana Crack from transplant yesterday evening till now...

Yesterday evening
20180606 174532

This morning
20180607 110942

Afternoon
20180607 134623

These fans almost doubled. Same length as the fans on the other BC and still growing.
20180607 134658

20180607 134734

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Grow Log 6/8/18 Daily

I need to start using my DSLR for these again. Wide shots are too blurry with this phone. I'd switch back to my Galaxy S6 if it had better reception. It has a 20 megapixel camera, the S7 only has a 16 megapixel. I don't care how good Samsung says the anti-aliasing works, it ain't good enough to make up for that difference.
20180608 052630

20180608 054422

20180608 053421

Last edited:
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

The Banana Crack is a trippy little contortionist. The movements of it's leaves are actually perceivable. I watched this morning as they twisted towards the sunrise. In the tent it would quickly adapt to fill all the available space around it. I am definitely cloning this strain. This would be a crazy monster crop.
20180608 060837
20180608 060638

Latest posts

Top Bottom