Junk's Growing Log

• Thread starter SmithsJunk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Grow Log 8/22/18

After talking to @1diesel1 on another thread and saw the problems he was having from re-veg I'm pretty certain this has been my problem as well. When we had all the fires and smoke my girls started blooming. Leaves began growing out of the center of the flowers and they looked like a bunch of stacked pre-flowers with only a couple hairs each. After that my leaves began to claw and twist. Looking back it is more clear why the Banana Ice Cream that was in a shadier spot and already blooming when the smoke started isn't all messed up like the others. I thought it was a strain thing because I'd never grown any Sativa with such strong African ancestry. I bet I'll have them back to their lush beautiful selves in the in the next 8 days. (Two feedings plus a couple days. I started nutes again with 1/4 the amount of Krazy Kelp and 2/5 the Cha Ching. Will hopefully start the Tiger Bloom tomorrow. If it isn't here by then, then 9 days.)

20180822 161830
20180822 161901
20180822 161955
20180822 162016
20180822 162024
20180822 162039
20180822 162101
20180822 162120
20180822 180216
20180822 180138

Last edited:
Wishbone

Wishbone

I switched this response over to my thread so I don't hijack your thread with a bunch of unrelated info.

My only issue with no till has nothing to do with it's effectiveness. I'm growing on my cousin's property and he has stage 4 cancer. So there is no guarantee he'll be around this time next year. On top of that lack of surety, I didn't have the green light from him to grow this year till February. I'm 99% sure he'll let me grow in perpetuity at this point so next year will be my first opportunity to try it. I buttered him up with s 50% share with no share of cost to make my grows irresistible. I need this harvest to go well to prove to him my garden's high yields are in direct correlation to my skill as a grower. If He wants to start growing again next year I want to negotiate with him to allow me to be in charge of it. Hopefully we can come to some arrangement that lets me keep 100% of my garden's yield. I was so gracious with his share the first year with the caveat that all decisions are made by me alone. This year I carried over that original agreement for the sake of ease. I also produced enough last year that my half nearly beat everyone's predictions for the whole garden so I was more than happy with my share.

The benefit I get from controlling at least part of the greenhouse isnt just to give me the ability to leverage a better position in my own garden. It will also give me a large garden to add to my resume. In the future I want to offer my services to grow under a dispensary's umbrella. Last year I almost got a deal set up to sell to a local delivery service but the laws changed and they could no longer buy from small medicinal growers. The new California laws screwed the small growers in favor of giving control of supply to commercial businesses. It's "big business" at it's f^ckin finest. I'm trying to find my niche in this new bullsh*t corporate market.

Gotcha, sorry to hear about your cousin, hopefully everything works out for both of you.

Grow Log 8/22/18

After talking to @1diesel1 on another thread and saw the problems he was having from re-veg I'm pretty certain this has been my problem as well. When we had all the fires and smoke my girls started blooming. Leaves began growing out of the center of the flowers and they looked like a bunch of stacked pre-flowers with only a couple hairs each. After that my leaves began to claw and twist. Looking back it is more clear why the Banana Ice Cream that was in a shadier spot and already blooming when the smoke started isn't all messed up like the others. I thought it was a strain thing because I'd never grown any Sativa with such strong African ancestry. I bet I'll have them back to their lush beautiful selves in the in the next 8 days. (Two feedings plus a couple days. I started nutes again with 1/4 the amount of Krazy Kelp and 2/5 the Cha Ching. Will hopefully start the Tiger Bloom tomorrow. If it isn't here by then, then 9 days.)

View attachment 824625 View attachment 824626 View attachment 824627 View attachment 824628 View attachment 824629 View attachment 824630 View attachment 824633 View attachment 824634 View attachment 824637 View attachment 824638

So you think low light levels from the smoke kicked them into flower prematurely?

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Gotcha, sorry to hear about your cousin, hopefully everything works out for both of you.

So you think low light levels from the smoke kicked them into flower prematurely?

Sh*t, the dude is a superman. He's been this way for 7 years, and he works! He might outlive me (That, may not be saying much, hehe). Last year was rough but he's been doing good most of this year. It's just the sword of Damocles is hangin over his head, always.

The smoke combined with their light position. The garden has oaks on the East end and a grove of 100'+ Sugar Pines to the West. It's actually very nice. On hot days they only get direct sun for about 8hrs and they go into flower 2-3 weeks early. Gives them a long flower cycle. They still get light in the morning and evening but it's filtered like a natural greenhouse. Couldn't ask for a better spot. Great for having enough daylight to spray but without cooking the leaves.

(The trees and the smoke)
20180806 154748

My trailer situated near the the trees. I stop getting direct sun around 5pm. It's a lifesaver during the hottest part of summer. Like the last month of near 100F days here.
20180803 181446

Last edited:
WhtChocolate

WhtChocolate

Grow Log 8/22/18

View attachment 824625 View attachment 824626 View attachment 824627 View attachment 824628 View attachment 824629 View attachment 824630 View attachment 824633 View attachment 824634 View attachment 824637 View attachment 824638

Great stuff SJunk!!! Do you have a close up of the re-veg? Just curious to see.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Great stuff SJunk!!! Do you have a close up of the re-veg? Just curious to see.

Leaves started growing out of the center of the flowers and they got all thin, warped, wild, and wrapped up on the branches.

This was Aug 3rd. They began to flower, then it was like the hairs turned into leaves and grew a few nodes again with only little preflowers. I think I'm lucky they barely had a chance to start before the re-veg. These were open blooms.
20180803 084327

I didn't know what I was looking at or I would have documented them better.
20180731 085342

This pic is from a few days ago.
20180819 095902
20180815 101359

These are the two that didn't re-veg.
20180819 095933
20180819 082606

WhtChocolate

WhtChocolate

Leaves started growing out of the center of the flowers and they got all thin, warped, wild, and wrapped up on the branches.

This was Aug 3rd. They began to flower, then it was like the hairs turned into leaves and grew a few nodes again with only little preflowers. I think I'm lucky they barely had a chance to start before the re-veg. These were open blooms.
View attachment 824775
I didn't know what I was looking at or I would have documented them better.
View attachment 824776

This pic is from a few days ago.
View attachment 824771 View attachment 824772
These are the two that didn't re-veg.
View attachment 824773 View attachment 824774

The re-veg might turn out alright! I’ve heard they can get nasty!

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

The re-veg might turn out alright! I’ve heard they can get nasty!

It messed up my nutes and set me back a week but they'll be fine. I'll remember to keep some veg nutes on hand for next year and nitrogenate the sh*t out of them if there's any big fires. That should carry them through if it's less than a week. My neighbor offered some and I declined. I didn't realise I had a problem till it was too late. If it ever happens again I'll flush em a couple times then do a cal/mag, veg cycle NPK feed till it's over. I'm in the Cali Sierras, it will happen again.

Sorry I didn't have better pics. It was a very slight re-veg but I could see it cause I know my girls. Only reason I did not address it properly is because I thought I f^cked em up. Not the smoke. Since they bloom so early in my garden's location I thought nothing of it.

WhtChocolate

WhtChocolate

It messed up my nutes and set me back a week but they'll be fine. I'll remember to keep some veg nutes on hand for next year and nitrogenate the sh*t out of them if there's any big fires. That should carry them through if it's less than a week. My neighbor offered some and I declined. I didn't realise I had a problem till it was too late. If it ever happens again I'll flush em a couple times then do a cal/mag, veg cycle NPK feed till it's over. I'm in the Cali Sierras, it will happen again.

Sorry I didn't have better pics. It was a very slight re-veg but I could see it cause I know my girls. Only reason I did not address it properly is because I thought I f^cked em up. Not the smoke. Since they bloom so early in my garden's location I thought nothing of it.

Wow. Cali Sierra’s. Hope you’re enjoying...other than the fires

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Wow. Cali Sierra’s. Hope you’re enjoying...other than the fires

No fires near me that I know of. We get the smoke from the other fires though. Stacks up against them and runs alongside the range. Almost got us last year and took out our power for a week.

I love it here. The only place I'd rather be more is Ft Bragg. If I can get the money together one of these days, that's where I'm going. Ocean air, giant cannabis, and orchids in every garden.

Rcubed

Rcubed

Looking solid SJ. Got your bugs under control? I'm watching mine like a hawk. Sprayed with BT today. I'm seeing a bunch of cabbage loopers around along with other assorted moths. Some of my wardens (spiders) are catching the smaller ones but I know they're not getting all of them. BTW that DE spreader you recommended works great. Cut the earwigs way back.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Looking solid SJ. Got your bugs under control? I'm watching mine like a hawk. Sprayed with BT today. I'm seeing a bunch of cabbage loopers around along with other assorted moths. Some of my wardens (spiders) are catching the smaller ones but I know they're not getting all of them. BTW that DE spreader you recommended works great. Cut the earwigs way back.

Right on. DE is great for belly crawlers. I'm only having bug problems on the Orange Creamsicle. It's like mites are just materialising on her. Big healthy suckers in large quantities laying eggs. I find zero signs of them being on any other plant. It's friggin weird. Same thing happened last year. The mites devastated the OC while leaving the Royal Nepal Kush almost untouched. If the OC wasnt such a big producer and I didn't have friends who like her nugs, I'd rip up and burn her. Next year, no more Creamsicle.

I hope it's the plants strain that's attracting them and not the flowers. I think the mites are hitching rides on the humming birds.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

For those of you who are new to fighting the Borg (spider mites), here are pics of a currently infested leaf vs one where pesticide has worked.

If the freckles are near a leaf edge you have live mites. On the underside you will find one or more adults and clusters of eggs and freshly hatched mites in a bit of webbing. From what I can tell, it's the hatchlings that cause the freckling. The adults leave little sign of their presence on the top of the leaf. Finding adults before they lay eggs requires inspection of the undersides.
20180824 091148
Here is a leaf where Azamax has been effective. The leaf edges will be free of spots and healthy. Cannabis grows quickly so you should see clean growth within a day or two. One application of Azamax is not enough to kill all the mites since it doesn't kill the eggs. Several applications are required over a period of 9-18 days. I do three, one every five days. If you look where the leaf is touching the fence there are fresh freckles from newly hatched eggs. If these hatchlings aren't killed in 7-9 days they will lay eggs themselves and you've wasted expensive pesticides.
20180824 091102

When checking for live Two Spot spider mites you don't need a scope or loupe as long as you have good eyesight. Flip the leaf and hold it in the sun or gently blow on it. The adults will generally start moving towards the center of the leaf to find shelter. No movement, dead mites. This will take more than a quick glance. It's hard to see their legs moving but you can see them turn by watching their spots.

When I'm checking for survivors if I see any leaves with heavy speckling I'll remove them and crush them into the dirt. Getting rid of heavily infested leaves reduces the risk of reinfestation and those leaves are often too far gone to be of use to the plant anyway.

Hope this helps. I'll try to get some pics of the mites through a 30x loupe later today.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I’m predicting the Griswald reaches the telephone poll behind it! Wow!! Can’t wait for the finished product and weight.

Thank you.

If it gets any bigger we'll be able to use "it" as a telephone pole, hehe. She is somewhere around 10-11'. Griswald Jr is about 7'. Hard to get pictures that really show their sise. I hope my Tiger Bloom gets here today. Cult Hydro said between the 24th-30th but last time I ordered from them it only took 3 days. Ordered Sat. When I start feeding them TB every 4 days along with the Krazy Kelp, then Beastie Blooms (every 6 days), you're gonna see a major growth explosion (my prediction). I wouldn't be surprised if they break 13', maybe even 15'+. That stuff works great.

I am learning a whole lot from this grow. Next year I plan on growing monsters. I'll try again if these hit my target yield of 15lbs+ and have potent flowers. I need to fill the pots to the top and duplicate the fan leaf pruning I did while the last three were in the tent. That pruning created the triple stalked plants. The Griswald and Jr were never pruned and they took on the classic Christmas tree shape. It's easier to get the nutes to a plant that sise if they're split between multiple stalks. Keeping them big and bushy helps protect them from some of the high wind dtorms we get here in the fall. Mountain weather an all.

OK, I'm stoned and runnning on here, hehe. I can't believe I'm still getting baked off of that Royal Nepal Kush I grew last year. After smoking it every day since last November you'd think I'd have tolerance by now. Though, when I smoke it with my friends they go all derp. Good sh*t Maynerd.

Last edited:
Top Bottom