Junk's Growing Log

• Thread starter SmithsJunk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Interested to see how you fill it out, I just picked up the same size tent to dry in, then found a killer Craigslist deal, 2 240w veg leds, a MH, an HPS, 6” fan, new carbon filter, a silencer, 2 small in-line fans, and a bunch of extras like timers, hanging ropes, extra bulbs etc., for $100. Not top quality gear, but good enough for the price. Want to have a go at a tent grow this winter then use it to start the outdoor girls next spring. I was thinking 2 or 3 plants, but will be following closely to see how yours fills out.

Not trying to be critical, just my 2 cents, and maybe way wrong.

I don't know if that's really a good deal anymore. If the LEDs are a good brand you could flip em, maybe. I know people giving away the other lamps or selling super cheap. If you spent $200 and aren't worried about filtering smell, you can get a decent 3500k COB, a couple USB fans, and hangers. I'm pretty sure you can grow three plants with 200w or less power consumption. That's why all my neighbors are dumping their equipment. Out of the game or upgrading to COBs.

Last edited:
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Interested to see how you fill it out, I just picked up the same size tent to dry in, then found a killer Craigslist deal, 2 240w veg leds, a MH, an HPS, 6” fan, new carbon filter, a silencer, 2 small in-line fans, and a bunch of extras like timers, hanging ropes, extra bulbs etc., for $100. Not top quality gear, but good enough for the price. Want to have a go at a tent grow this winter then use it to start the outdoor girls next spring. I was thinking 2 or 3 plants, but will be following closely to see how yours fills out.

Four was tight but doable. Three can easily fill it if you let them.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Oh, crap! I had a branch fall off the Banana Ice Cream #2 Last week so I dried and trimmed the nugs. Just smoked one about 30min ago and I'm am totally blazed. Sheesh, that bud was waaay immature. Wow, super body high and old school stupid!!! Can barely write. Man, what this stuff gonna be like when it's actually mature?

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Not trying to be critical, just my 2 cents, and maybe way wrong.

I don't know if that's really a good deal anymore. If the LEDs are a good brand you could flip em, maybe. I know people giving away the other lamps or selling super cheap. If you spent $200 and aren't worried about filtering smell, you can get a decent 3500k COB, a couple USB fans, and hangers. I'm pretty sure you can grow three plants with 200w or less power consumption. That's why all my neighbors are dumping their equipment. Out of the game or upgrading to COBs.

Sorry, @Wishbone. I didn't mean to publicly sh*t all over your good deal. I was just trying to be helpful, was really baked, and wrote my post over like five times and I still came off like some elitist COB owning d*ck. From your description it sounds like a very complete and capable grow system.

If you want to know what I think would save you a lot of money in that tent's setup, PM me and I'll walk you through my thinking and link you to some great info threads on COBs/Quantums that I learned a huge amount from. I stay on top of the new stuff coming out because it's getting so cheap I can afford to add more soon.

Can't remember how far back we met but here's a pic of my girls right before I removed them from the tent so you can get little better idea.

I just sexed them and trimmed the lower fan leaves for airflow and light. Look at how many fingers they had. Triming those lower fans caused them to act alot like they were super cropped. I will switch to a 12/12 when the current ones are a little smaller. I don't need to know their sex to flip em, as long as they already know.
20180610 070151
20180610 070222

WhtChocolate

WhtChocolate

Looking at the same size 2X4X7 and everything I’ve researched says perfect for 2-3 plants max. This will be my first winter indoor grow. :love1:

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Looking at the same size 2X4X7 and everything I’ve researched says perfect for 2-3 plants max. This will be my first winter indoor grow. :love1:

You can squeese in four but you have to really stay on top of airflow. A 200w (3500k) COB 100w x2 CXB3590 or Vero29 can grow 3 plants through all cycles. For secondary tents I could use the cheaper Vero29 but the cool thing about the Cree CXB3590 is that the COB itself is modular and can be easily swapped out with with one of a different spectrum. They can be bought for $25-$40 ea without having to buy a whole new fixture. I run my CXB3590s at 75% and I think the Vero29s become very inefficient at that point and from what I uunderstand, less efficient means more heat. You can get a 200w CXB3590 3500k fixture mechanically identical to mine for $200. Add a $5-$10 set of hangars, a couple of $10-$40 USB fans, a $10-$25 timer, plants + pots, and you're up amd running. A couple pieces of ducting can be used to keep out light from the fan vents after the flip and some sort of filter will be needed if smell is an issue. My Thermaltake fan was expensive at $25 but it's almost silent, has a variable speed controller, and has a static pressure fan. Because of it's extremely low power free it can be run constantly eliminating the need for CO2 generators.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I am way too poor this month to be forking out a gang of $$$ for nutes and I still need to buy Nuke Em. I was looking for cheaper bloom nutes and found Hawaiian Bud and Bloom. It has very close to the same NPK as everything I'm using now, (Tiger Bloom, Earth Juice Guano, and Beastie Bloomz) all in one product and 3lbs is only ! NPK is 5-50-17. If this works it could be my new all-in-one bloom nutes. Anyone want to weigh in?

https://www.amazon.com/Grow-More-75...1&ref=mp_s_a_1_1#immersive-view_1538241622109
91kcqaTCpPL AC SL1500

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I am way too poor this month to be forking out a gang of $$$ for nutes and I still need to buy Nuke Em. I was looking for cheaper bloom nutes and found Hawaiian Bud and Bloom. It has very close to the same NPK as everything I'm using now, (Tiger Bloom, Earth Juice Guano, and Beastie Bloomz) all in one product and 3lbs is only ! NPK is 5-50-17. If this works it could be my new all-in-one bloom nutes. Anyone want to weigh in?

https://www.amazon.com/Grow-More-75...1&ref=mp_s_a_1_1#immersive-view_1538241622109
View attachment 833082
not to be a Debbie downer but that is a little heavy on the P and K I would also want to see a mix with less N going into flower as well. ........just my .2cents you did ask :D

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

not to be a Debbie downer but that is a little heavy on the P and K I would also want to see a mix with less N going into flower as well. ........just my .2cents you did ask :D

Don't worry, not offended. I appreciate your straight forward answers. I asked because I wanted input. You don't have to buffer it for me, but I think you know that already.

I've bumped the N anyway because of what you said about the Triazacide so I could run them out longer and break down the pesticide more completely. Normally I'd cut the N to near 0 at this stage. The Tiger Bloom is 2-8-4, Beastie Bloomz is 0-50-30, and Earth Juice guano is 0-10-0. The N is high in the HBB but if I run it in a half dose it would be 2.5-25-8.5. Wouldn't that be just about perfect? Or do nutes not work that way and my math needs to be adjusted? If I were to do it this way, or even diluted a little more, what do you think then? It seems like it would work to me. Again, I appreciate your honest answers. So, no need to worry about offending me.

Last edited:
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Don't worry, not offended. I appreciate your straight forward answers. I asked because I wanted input. You don't have to buffer it for me, but I think you know that already.

I've bumped the N anyway because of what you said about the Triazacide so I could run them out longer and break down the pesticide more completely. Normally I'd cut the N to near 0 at this stage. The Tiger Bloom is 2-8-4, Beastie Bloomz is 0-50-30, and Earth Juice guano is 0-10-0. The N is high in the HBB but if I run it in a half dose it would be 2.5-25-9.5. Wouldn't that be just about perfect? Or do nutes not work that way and my math needs to be adjusted? If I were to do it this way, or even diluted a little more, what do you think then? It seems like it would work to me. Again, I appreciate your honest answers. So, no need to worry about offending me.
hey no worries on this side either. Seems if you take the recommended mixing formula and doubled the water then you would think it would reduce the amounts of available components by half. You may be on to something there.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

hey no worries on this side either. Seems if you take the recommended mixing formula and doubled the water then you would think it would reduce the amounts of available components by half. You may be on to something there.

Yeah, exactly. I dilute my nutes all the time to adjust the NPK. I never use the full recommended doses. When I followed the labels last year my girls got burned. Ever since then I've started low and built up to around 1/3 or 1/2 the labels instructions.

I'm going to try it with HBB.

Thanks for your input.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Sorry, @Wishbone. I didn't mean to publicly sh*t all over your good deal. I was just trying to be helpful, was really baked, and wrote my post over like five times and I still came off like some elitist COB owning d*ck. From your description it sounds like a very complete and capable grow system.

If you want to know what I think would save you a lot of money in that tent's setup, PM me and I'll walk you through my thinking and link you to some great info threads on COBs/Quantums that I learned a huge amount from. I stay on top of the new stuff coming out because it's getting so cheap I can afford to add more soon.

Can't remember how far back we met but here's a pic of my girls right before I removed them from the tent so you can get little better idea.

I just sexed them and trimmed the lower fan leaves for airflow and light. Look at how many fingers they had. Triming those lower fans caused them to act alot like they were super cropped. I will switch to a 12/12 when the current ones are a little smaller. I don't need to know their sex to flip em, as long as they already know.View attachment 832935 View attachment 832936

No offense taken, I understand what you are saying, but it’s already done, it’s money I didn’t really plan on spending at all so want to keep as cheap as possible and I need all of the things including fan and filter, and I will probably use the HPS and MH more than the LED as the tent is probably going to end up in the garage and I need the heat.

May upgrade down the road, but this was more of an impulse buy and I’m not super concerned about indoor growing, really more for something to do this winter. I’m sure I can spend more money and get better results, but that’s not the intent here, I’ll definitely pick your brain when I’m ready to get into a better setup. I do love tech and building stuff, so COB is right up my alley, just not right now.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Grow Log 9/29/18

Outdoor garden...

Banana Ice Cream #1
20180929 091151
20180929 090929

Banana Ice Cream #2
20180929 091141
20180929 091102

Banana Crack
20180929 091133
20180929 091122
20180929 091047

Banana Ice Cream #3
20180929 091017
20180929 091036

Orange Creamsicle
20180929 091007
20180929 091042

Idunnoes (freebie unidentified seed)
20180929 090952
20180929 091204

----------------------------------------------

Front deck tent grow...
20180929 102927
20180929 103126

Royal Nepal Kush #1
20180929 102956

Royal Nepal Kush #2
20180929 103000

Banana Ice Cream #4
20180929 103004

Banana Ice Cream #5
20180929 103007

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

No offense taken, I understand what you are saying, but it’s already done, it’s money I didn’t really plan on spending at all so want to keep as cheap as possible and I need all of the things including fan and filter, and I will probably use the HPS and MH more than the LED as the tent is probably going to end up in the garage and I need the heat.

May upgrade down the road, but this was more of an impulse buy and I’m not super concerned about indoor growing, really more for something to do this winter. I’m sure I can spend more money and get better results, but that’s not the intent here, I’ll definitely pick your brain when I’m ready to get into a better setup. I do love tech and building stuff, so COB is right up my alley, just not right now.

Cool, cool. Right on.

I can appreciate the impulse. A few weeks ago my neighbor offered to give me enough lighting (like you have, -LEDs, +T5s, unless you also got T5s and I didn't understand the abbreviation) to grow a 1000' room. I reaaaly had to think about it and could think of how I could use it. My 5th wheel is only on a 20amp breaker and my solar wouldn't support it, so I passed. I cringed watching all that stuff go to the dump and it didn't cross my mind to take it to the recyclers until it was too late. My neighbor told me everyone around here was upgrading to COBs after weed prices dropped from legalisation and he couldn't give the fixtures away. Not even the T5s because even those are being upgraded to LEDs.

A few years ago I could have flipped those fixtures for serious $$$ but everything has changed in the last couple years.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Grow Log 9/29/18

Outdoor garden...

Banana Ice Cream #1
View attachment 833136 View attachment 833140

Banana Ice Cream #2
View attachment 833126 View attachment 833142
Banana Crack
View attachment 833128 View attachment 833130 View attachment 833144
Banana Ice Cream #3
View attachment 833132 View attachment 833147
Orange Creamsicle
View attachment 833133 View attachment 833146
Idunnoes (freebie unidentified seed)
View attachment 833135 View attachment 833134
----------------------------------------------

Front deck tent grow...
View attachment 833131 View attachment 833127
Royal Nepal Kush #1
View attachment 833145
Royal Nepal Kush #2
View attachment 833143
Banana Ice Cream #4
View attachment 833141
Banana Ice Cream #5
View attachment 833129
Nice outdoor run man

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Oh, yeah. I'm sitting here thinking Cali weather, not CO winter. In super cold weather inefficient (which basically just means hotter) lights are a positive thing. I forgot about the LED signal lights malfunctioning in the Midwest because they were too efficient. Good point. Sh*t, I wish you would have made this post a few weeks ago. I would have crated those lights up and posted that I was willing to ship on Craigslist. Heck, I would have sent them to you if you wanted to cover the shipping. I hate seeing equipment wasted.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Grow Log 9/30/18 (outdoor garden)

Fed the girls the HBB and Hi-Brix molasses. Expecting a nice growth and swelling bump. Been rationing nutes for the last few weeks. Fogging or spraying Nuke Em this evening. Anyone know if Nuke Em works in a propane thermal fogger?
20180930 111943
20180930 112056
20180930 112045
20180930 112014
20180930 111955
20180930 121010
20180930 120719
20180930 121140

Top Bottom